“BEST TRIP EVER!!!”

Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, ON
“BEST TRIP EVER!!!”
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We travelled from March 16-March 21 to the caves. It was by far the best trip we have ever been on! We went for 4 nights/ 5 days for our honeymoon. We travelled from Toronto, Canada. The Caves took care of our transportation to and from the airport, and everything in between. The resort went out of their way to make us feel like we were celebrities! The resort gives all of its guests 100% customer service. All of the people that work there are awesome. For people thinking of going, definitely book a dinner in the caves, a private hot-tub and visit the spa! The views are amazing at the caves. Take time to visit the cigar bar, and socialize with some locals at the sands bar. It is by far the best place we've visited. The food there makes it feel like its a 5 star restaurant! I came back home 10 lbs heavier..we couldn't stop eating! Order a dirty banana from the bar as well. Its an amazing drink! We will definitely go back to the caves! All of the reviews we read prior to going are all bang on. It is truely an AMAZING resort!

Parm and Amandeep
Toronto, ON Canada

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parmalicious

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Zürich
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Besides the perfect location on the cliffs (other tourists pilger to Rick's Café nearby to enjoy the sunset), this little hideaway has everything you need for a romantic timeout. There is a reason why proms as Bill Gates, Harrison Ford and Michael Douglas have spend their vacation at The Caves. Sure, this is definitely the wrong place if you are looking for pool animation, party and action, but the happy and friendly personell will try everything to fulfill your wishes and live up to your expectations. More than 50 people of staff for max. 26 guests explains the excellent service. The food is very good (and so are the barkeeper's creations - try Zoom's Special!) and like everybody else I would like to recommend snorkeling with Paul, the cave dinner and the hot bath tub. Most of the other guests regretted they booked only two or three nights. The room's - although comfortable - are simple, but provide everything you need (and let's face it, you're not inside unless you go to bed). BTW: The massage was the best I ever had.

Unfortunately The Caves will undergo a major refurbishment in 2011 or 2012 that will increase it's size a lot and put up several more cottages on the cliff-front. Although I have no doubt that the great service will not be sacrificed, a lot of it's romantic hideaway character that comes from it's simplicity will probably be gone forever. So, if you want to visit this Caribbean gem in it's original form - hurry up!

P.S. Dare to take the 30ft jump of the cliffs...

1 Thank Christian R
New York City
Reviewed 10 March 2010

If you enjoy crowds of people, high rise hotels, crowded beaches and an extremely action pact vacation, "The Caves" is not for you. "The Caves" is an elite resort, (not snobby though) it is very expensive but worth every penny!!!! My husband and I went there for our honeymoon, we were the youngest couple there, I was 21 and my husband 26, it's a small resort and only 5 other couples were there not including us so 6 in total. Out of the 6 couples only two were honeymooners thats including us.
Food/Drinks
The service was impeccable, since it's all inclusive, including drinks it was like a never ending party! The staff leaves at a certain time in the evening so you can go behind the bar and make your own drinks, very nice!!! Each bar tender or waitress has there own special mixed drink make sure you ask them to make it for you, they were all very good!! I like the "dirty banana" My husband liked "rum punch" Food was amazing the chief is an american woman who married a native jamaican she infuses american style cooking and mixes in jamaican spices and vegetables, herbs etc. I tried everything from goat to every kind of fish, my husband loved there jerk chicken! Breakfast, lunch and diner were served with in a time period but they were very flexible, remember your on island time!! (time does not really matter) At every meal you were given at least 3 choices of what you wanted or you could try all three!!! It was wonderful! If you don't like what you chose you can just try something else, very accommodating!
Tipping
Me and my husband did tip the servers but not everyone did, i guess if your feeling generous you can or can not, i don't think the servers expect it
Room
We stayed in the butterfly room, which was on the top floor it was not air conditioned but it didn't matter, there's lot's of windows and a constant breeze from the ocean, it cools in the evening anyways, if it did seem hot take a cool shower before bed and we left our ceiling fan on before we went to diner to keep the air circulating, we did ask the front desk for an extra fan so my husband had one on his side of the bed and I had one on mine! You do want to use the mosquito net at night! Our feet got bitten a couple of nights and we had to shut our window because I was afraid of the bats that fly around at night, they come out of the caves.
- Room service comes twice a day once in the morning and once at night, very good always fresh towels and the bed was always made perfect and bathroom left spotless!!!
Activities
Included in the package at the caves is, free snorkeling and kayaking, cave diner, and a jacuzzi night,
-For snorkeling and kayaking Paul is the guy! You can find him walking around the resort
very helpful!
For the cave diner and jacuzzi when you check they usually have you reserve your time I suggest sunset for the private jacuzzi, and cave diner late evening you want it to be dark because it's candle lit extremely romantic!
There is a spa in the caves resort not included, me and my husband did a couples massage for an hour, extremely relaxing, pricey totally worth it, I can not remember the massage therapists names but there's only two and we had them, 15% gratuity is administered.
There's a number of other things you can do that the resort does not offer, you just have to go to the main office and they'll give you a booklet, and set up anything you want, like
deep sea fishing, jet skiing, hiking, etc.

-me and my husband did not leave the resort, except for going to the airport I would be cautious jamaica is not the safest island

I hope this was helpful

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IsabellaTravels
Council Bluffs, IOWA
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The caves is the most unique and truely amazing vacation I've ever had! My husband and I came for 5 night during the first week in August for our honeymoon. We stayed in Moonshadow and really loved it. Definitely stay in Moonshadow or Sun Dancer (they have the same price as the one bedroom rooms if you only have 2 people staying there). The outdoor shower is so incredible. I took a shower while it was raining one evening and I can't describe how invigorating it was. I think next time we'll stay in Sun Dancer though. Moonshadow is right next to the bar/breakfast area and we had some party people who kept us up while they partied in the bar area on a couple of nights. This wasn't really a big deal but I think Sun Dancer is in a little better location. Moonshadow doesn't have AC, but with the fan inside the mosquito net (inside the net is much cooler than outside believe it or not) the evenings where quite comfortable. Definitely use the mosquito net and wear bug spray. You don't notice the bugs but I definitely got bitten more than a few times.

The food and drinks are so good! I gained 5 pounds in 5 days and it was totally worth it. The banana pancakes for breakfast, and lobster for dinner were my favorites. Always ask for a combo because everything is so good. Definitely do the cave dinner, couples massage, and the sunset jacuzzi tub. They only do two appts for the jacuzzi tub a night so my suggestion is to do the later appt so you don't feel rushed to leave. We also did the kayaking and snorkeling the caves with Paul, and they were both great fun. Really the best thing about the caves is just relaxing around all day, eating, and drinking in the sun. Doesn't get much better. LOVE THE CAVES!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lovehippos
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2010

My husband and I were married at The Caves over a year ago and just went back. We LOVE this place. It is like no other place we have ever seen and exceeds all of our expectations in every way. Excellent accomodations, the most gorgeous views, friendly staff, wonderful food and unbelievably romantic. The Aveda massage was the best massage my husband and I have ever had also. We also love mingling with the other guests at the resort - with only a few rooms you get a chance to meet guests more easily. We can't wait to plan another trip!

2 Thank whr975s
st louis
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This was our second trip to the Caves, and it could not have been better. This is the place to sit back and relax, don't worry about anything. Food and staff are excellent. Can't wait to go back next year. You can be as busy as you want or not. You are well taken care of here, as the staff said as we arrived "wecolme home".

2 Thank eddStLouis
new york city
Reviewed 27 January 2010

My husband and I had our destination wedding in Negril with 86 of our closest friends and family. After they all left we headed to The Caves for a short honeymoon. It was exactly what we needed. This place is unlike any other I have ever been to. It is truly magnificent and worth every single penny.

It is so unbelievably romantic and relaxing. It was just what we needed after a year of wedding planning and all the excitement of 5 days of wedding festivities…we completely decompressed here.

The food is divine!! Go for the combo plates. I am still dreaming about those banana pancake breakfasts. The staff is beyond excellent. Every single person we encountered was fabulous. Service is top notch. There are no TV’s and no phones. It’s the perfect getaway. I highly suggest the sunset hot-tub, the private dinner in the caves, and a couple’s massage at the spa.

Thanks to all the wonderful staff at The Caves; Paul, Emron, Jeanine, Avery, Brian, and everyone whose names I am forgetting, you made us feel so welcome and we loved spending those four nights with you. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank newyorkbride_mc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!