“So wonderful. Couldn't have been better.”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Columbus, OH
“So wonderful. Couldn't have been better.”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We got married in Negril at Beaches, & went to the Caves for our honeymoon. We couldn't have been happier. It was an adjustment going from the big resort with so much to do to such a romantic, quiet resort, (where doing very little was encouraged!) but it was perfect. The best way I can describe it is it felt like home - or we were staying in someone's beach home. It didn't feel like we were at a resort - the staff is so wonderful & friendly.

There isn't too much left to be said that hasn't been said in other reviews - the food is fantastic, the soups are amazing, the banana pancakes were great. No complaints at all. The sunset hot tub was very romantic, & the cave dinner was really cool. Ask Paul to take you snorkeling - he was a great guide. We found ourselves in the middle of a huge swarm of jellyfish, & he helped get us out quickly.

The jumps are fun, but be careful! I bruised my butt jumping into the Blue Hole but I'm glad I did it. Ask Paul for some jumping tips.

The reviews complaining about anything are laughable - I guess you just can't please some people. We couldn't find one single thing to complain about.

Bring bug spray - I got bit a lot (but it is the tropics people) but I also get bit at home in the midwest. So no surprises there.

The entire time we were there we talked about when we were coming back. It can't come soon enough.

1 Thank Katie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Huntly
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the caves. As has gone before expectations were high, and we have high standards, all were exceeded. The most fabulous place we have been to. We stayed in the blue hole, which we loved. The staff are amazing, the food delicious, great to have no menus and a chef who takes pride in using the varied local produce. I cannot understand the recent reviews about the food, we enjoyed everything, and I find it hard to believe people needed to eat in between meals when there was so much on offer.

Do everything as previously written. Unfortunately due to a storm we had to be moved to the villa across the road due to an amazingly wild sea, and we missed our dinner in the caves, the staff were great and set up a romantic table for us, but we were so disappointed, mind you it just means we will have to go back, and back we will.

We also met two lovely couples, honeymooners, who made the week very special, and encouraged us to do thing Jamaican style, you know who you are!! Thank you for your company and making it a great week, we wish you a lifetime of happiness.

Go, relax & enjoy, and return with some amazing memories.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Let's start with the absolutely amazing! Each morning I pushed open my wood shutters and could see the ocean and each night the sunset. When I wanted to go swimming, I walked out my door, took about 15 steps and jumped off a cliff in to crystal clear water. The location is a perfect place to disconnect. The service was outstanding, Patrick, Susset, Emron, Karen, and so many others treated us like we were the first family of Jamaica.

Now for the bad. We paid upwards of $600 per night to stay at the Caves. The rooms made me feel as if I was living in a Margaritaville Resturant. The food was common and while tasty and fresh it was still only average. Don't pay $600 a night for average. The Ritz-Carlton at Rose Hall just outside MBJ have all-inclusives starting around $300. The Caves falls far short of the Ritz. Even though we had a great stay, having to pay twice what we would have at the Ritz will always put a damper our experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NotJimmyBuffet
NYC
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I stayed at The Caves for a few days in May of this year with a friend of mine. We only had time for a mini-break and wanted somewhere not too far from home but definitely somewhere outside of the US. We settled on The Caves as we both wanted a tropical, sun-filled vacation but HATE beach vacations where you end up with sand in your pants, in your hair, in your bed, in your suitcase, no matter how well you rinsed off! The Caves' location on the cliffs of Negril seemed ideal - not to mention we'd read all of the RAVE reviews on here. We had no idea just HOW amazing it was until we actually arrived though. It's such a quick trip from the airport in Mo Bay for a start. The rooms were gorgeous... We shared a two-storey, two-bedroom cottage and each had our own bathroom. It even had a little living area and bar counter! I took the downstairs room, which had an outdoor shower off the bathroom... Divine. For an all-inclusive we were suprised at how good the food was, they even had dishes like lobster and filet mignon on the menu, so there was no skimping in that area! During the day we'd float around in the pool that sits just back from the cliff edge, or go snorkelingm which was AMAZING. One of the staff members called Patrick was lovely and took us on a guided snorkel through the caves that go back into the cliffs... We saw starfish, stone fish, flounder, and a few others that I don't remember the names of. There were a lot of couples about and it's clear why... It's a really romantic place, and most of the couples were on their honeymoon. It wasn't weird though, it actually made it more chilled out because there were no awkward guys around to hit on us, they were all newlywed! So it was a great bonding, girls getaway. It's somewhere I would definitely visit again, either with girlfriends, or with my boyfriend. The color of the water there is ingrained in my retinas... I wish I could walk out my front door and see that view every day!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 3 November 2010

The Caves is aptly named as the resort sits atop some of Jamaicas' most beautiful coastline dotted with natural and wonderous caves where the jagged cliffs meet the 80 degree crystal clear Carrabean. There is a Cigar Bar Cave and two dining caves where the staff serve just you and your partner a lovely dinner by the light of a hundred votives. Go for Cave #2. Its bigger and you can see the water. The food here is hit or miss, in my opinion. With dessert and breads being a real let down. Some of the meals are great some only average. The breakfasts are always good and the lunches always dissapointing. There are snacks left out for anytime which is composed of bagged nuts and packaged crackers. A bowl of fresh fruit and some home baked goodies could really improve that paultry display. The drinks are wonderful. The rooms are fabulous. Each room a well thought out design with local art and color. There is something lovely to see where ever you look. If you do not like extreme heat when you sleep be sure to ask for one of the airconditioned rooms. No one told us this was an option when we booked. We ended up moving from a lovely but very hot and humid room with a bathroom the size of a peanut shell (honestly, I'm 5', thin and could not turn around easily) the Stardust, to the Butterfly. The Butterfly has air and a large bathroom. Both had spectacular views. Both were beautfully designed. The common areas are stunning (and this just weeks after Nicole hit them hard). The salt water pool and hot tub are a great place to watch the famous sunsets. The spa personal are terrific. The entire staff was so gracious. There was a mixup with our snokel tour and they got the guide to come in on his day off just for us. All in all I would go back and had a great time.

1 Thank 57783Traveler
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I stayed at the CAVES the end of October. The facility and rooms are delightful and the staff are friendly and very attentive . However, the food was mediocre. I have traveled around the world including many of the Carribean islands and can tell you the food just wasnt up to par. Iceburg lettuce with salads??? White bread toasted on the grille for lunch and dinner ?? Frozen salmon for dinner instead of local fresh fish?? The place needs a chef/cook who can prepare/buy higher quality bread. Most of the deserts were non existent or poor. The rum pudding and pumpkin cheesecake were very good. Between meals, there were bagged chips/peanuts around. Come on folks...for 600 dollars a night (i know one can spend more) if I owned the place...i would have fresh fruit, cookies and brownies available. This doesnt cost much but would be nice. If a romantic setting isnt important..i would recommend go elsewhere.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank baldman01
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We traveled from Australia (about 26 hours) so I had my fingers crossed that the resort would live up to its reviews and our expectations. Thankfully it exceeded them!

The Caves is a 90-minute scenic drive along the coast from Montego Bay and is situated along a gorgeous section of Negril’s cliffs. The road trip was single lane the whole way with lots of overtaking and horn honking, similar to most of the other developing countries that I have been to. I really was appreciative of the welcome cocktail “The Cliffhanger” upon arrival (Freshwater melon juice, ginger and Appleton Gold Jamaica Rum)!

Unbeknownst to us, The Caves had been damaged by the terrible Tropical Storm Nicole in late September (severe winds and 30 ft high waves) and had only reopened the day before our arrival. How lucky were we! In our welcome letter it outlined that the gardens were not up to par and that a few sections of the resort were inaccessible while they were working vigorously to get all areas functional. They moved the Aveda Spa to Moonshadow, a 2 story cottage with ocean views and breakfast and lunch were in the evening lounge. We would never had known this was not the normal state of affairs had we not been told. You will see in the photos that a lot of the leaves are brown and there is some thatching missing, but apart from that our stay was in no way affected.

The Caves doesn’t offer conventional beach with sand, instead it has a series of private platforms carved into the cliffs with deck chairs. There are a number of diving platforms, stairs and ladders which take you down to the turquoise water. You can even swim and snorkel in the natural volcanic caves and grottos which are underneath the resort. We had a private snorkeling tour with Paul who took us into a number of the caves (to enter some caves you had to hold your breath and swim under a ledge). Another day David and I kayaked along the coastline. David enjoyed doing “laps” each day in the open sea. Both the sea and pool water were the perfect temperature.

There are 11 very private thatched cottages and suites connected by meandering garden paths with great ocean views. We stayed in the Bird’s Nest, a suite with a round, open-spaced bedroom, sitting area and lovely louvered windows to let in the sea breeze and view. It was extremely spacious and had air-conditioning which was nice. Not all cottages have air-conditioning and it was hot and humid.

The service at The Caves is incredibly personalized and attentive and at the same time laid back. Everyone always has a huge smile and can be heard saying “no problem”. Being a small boutique property there is no menu. The staff describes what is on offer, always 2 choices for starters, main (entrée) and dessert and if you can’t decide they encourage you to have the combo. I had this on 2 occasions, how was I to choose between the Lobster and the Grilled Beef Tenderloin? The menu is very well thought through and there is an emphasis on fresh local ingredients. Every day it is new and varied. Being all-inclusive there is always fruit, cakes and snacks on offer in between meals. In a way it feels like you are staying at friends. Did I mention the coffee? Jamaican coffee is fantastic!

The resort has 2 caves that they use for private dining which are lit with a myriad of candles and you have your own personal waiter for the evening. It is extremely romantic with the ambient light, French champagne, and the sound of the waves crashing in the background. It is true organic luxury, a little bit ‘Fred and Wilma’!

The resort has magical sunset views that can be taken in from almost every location. We particularly loved watching the sunset from the pool.

We enjoyed sitting at the Cliff-side bar, The Sands for pre-dinner drinks. Actually we took a liking to their famous Dirty Banana cocktail, which I think from memory is Kahlua, Cointreau, Blue Mountain Coffee Liquor, a banana and lots of ice blended. Oh is it good! They were good anytime of day.

This was truly the relaxing holiday we needed. Our goal was to find a secluded Cliff-side spot each day and do as little as possible – a bit of reading, swimming and napping.

I can’t finish this without mentioning that the resorts Aveda Spa is world-class. The massages were the best ever and I mean it, incredible!

Our week at The Caves was truly an amazing and unforgettable experience, one that we hope to repeat one day.

I have more photos of the The Caves at http://www.wheremyheartis.net/?p=3396