“Superb resort, great attention to detail”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Negril
san antonio
“Superb resort, great attention to detail”
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We returned to The Caves because I loved the food so much last time we were there and couldn't find anything as good on our last trip.
After staying other places, I really appreciate the fine details. We stayed in Moonshadow again, what a view from the upstairs deck! From the design of the rooms themselves to the sculpture and art scattered around the common areas, there are so many nice touches.
I only have a few things they could improve. One is that there is very limited lounging area with shade. I think in a hotel of this caliber, one shouldn't have to claim space early in the morning. Given the limited property it sits on, I don't know how they could fix that problem easily.
The other is that in between meals, it can be difficult to find a bartender. Even at happy hour, sunset, there are usually no people at all at the bar, so it can get a bit boring. Granted, when there is no bartender, you can just help yourself, but I like to have some of their complicated blender drinks. For what they charge for rooms, they should have staff walking around taking drink orders during the day.
I enjoyed taking their (brand new) mountain bikes out for rides in the morning.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 5 night stay at The Caves.

The staff from the moment you enter the gates are nothing but attentive, courteous and helpful without being in your face. They are always there when you need them but never over your shoulder.

After spending 3 weeks travelling around the US, the food was a welcome relief! Fresh, home cooked meals were amazing! Fresh seafood, vegetables, salads, soups and the famous jerk chicken were to die for! The dessert - if you're not already full, can be a bit hit and miss though.

Drinks are never hard to come by, with the staff happy to make you one of their signature cocktails!

We were fortunate enough to stay in the 'Stardust' Villa, which was slightly removed from the other villas making it more private. The room was spotless with everything we could possibly need! Whilst not much time was spent in the Villa, our daily Red Stripe on the balcony whilst watching the sun set was a memory that will last a lifetime.

The facilities are straight from a postcard, the water is as blue as it looks in promotional photos! There are ample lazy boys, albeit you will need to get up pretty early to secure the ones close to the water. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy your meals and cocktails. Whilst we were staying there, all villas were full yet at no point in time did I feel like there were too many people -

Finally... don't be afraid of the big cliff jump! once you've done it I promise you'll be straight up there to do it again!

A big thank you to all of the amazing team at The Caves.

ONE LOVE!

P.s. The Caves is a one and a half hour drive out from Montego Bay Airport, make sure you keep this in mind when booking your flights!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 20 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Caves January 8-14th. I researched extensively prior to booking and knew this was the place for us. We are 38, no children and celebrating our 14th anniversary. We just wanted peace and tranquility. Just for reference we have previously stayed at Couples Swept Away, Sun Palace and Excellence Riviera Cancun.

We arranged transport to Negril from MoBay via the resort. Our driver was "Mr. Bond". He was lovely to talk to and, despite seeing several accidents on the trip, it was a problem free 90 minute drive to The Caves.

Check-in was simple. We booked our cave dinner and moonlight hot tub. And then we met The Caves biggest treasure- Patrick! We sipped delicious Cliffhangers ( what a great drink) as he showed us around.

We were in Blue Hole. We originally booked Stardust but changed our reservation upon realizing it didn't have air-conditioning. This is a very personal preference but we were glad we did. We enjoy it being colder when we sleep and we really liked coming back from dinner to a cool room. Other guests we talked to had no problem with just the ocean breeze at night.

Blue Hole was wonderful. Bed very comfy, linens perfect. Our housekeeping and turn down service was top notch. We always had snack ( oreos, Ritz bits, chips ahoy) and beverages ( Red Stripe, soda and juices) They also provided coffee, cream and sugar but we always had our Blue Mountain each morning with breakfast.

Onto the ONE problem I had -and it is in no way the resorts fault. I only mention it for those folks out there who, like me, are light sleepers. I knew going in that The Caves is bohemian chic, rustic and there's no glass on the windows. Well-some wildlife ( I was told it was a lizard) parked itself outside Blue Hole and chirped from sunset to early morning. I should note that my husband slept fine. Once we realized what it was my husband did a crazy stomping dance outside every night prior to bedtime and the lizard hightailed it away. In retrospect, I should've brought earplugs.

Our days were spent relaxing by the pool. I swam in the ocean every morning. We each read 2 books on our kindles and generally re-connected.

Had couples massage with Patrick and Michelle and they were , hands down, the best massages we have ever had. The spa is perfect.

I went jet skiing with some of our new found Caves friends.

Speaking of, this place really lends itself to meeting wonderful people and having great conversation. We loved having a drink and chatting with folks. Obviously, you choose The Caves for a reason and everyone is a like-minded traveller.

The food was great. My husband loves to try new things so he loved the Jamaican breakfast and the mutton curry at dinner. I am a huge seafood lover so to have snapper, shrimp, lobster and king fish all in week was perfect for me.

Our dinner in Cave #2 was incredible. There's no picture that can show you what it's like to walk into a cave lit with hundreds of votive candles. So romantic. Imron was our server and couldn't have made it better.

Which brings me finally, to the best part of the trip- the staff. Every person we came in contact with was fully invested in our having an amazing vacation. Our best memories will be hanging with the other guests and chatting with Patrick, laughing with Imron and Orane, getting fabulous drinks from Zoom and Glynn. The ladies, and Bryan, who did breakfast every morning are fantastic. Where else do they hug you when you leave and you know they mean it?

It's hard for us to repeat vacations because there are so many places we want to go. But Negril hold a special place in our hearts. We'll be back And we'll go to The Caves.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank klageman
Connecticut
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We are just back from five nights at The Caves. My husband and I lived in Moonshadow with two of our good friends - another couple - where we had the best location in the resort. Moonshadow is located right next to the breakfast/lunch areas as well as the mini spa and very close to the pool/hot tub and sunning platforms.

The service was some of the best we have ever experienced at any resort anywhere I truly believe the staff cared about the quality of your vacation and wanted you to have a great time. The word "no" was never heard.

Some of the best features of The Caves (many may have been repeated by fellow TripAdvisor posters) include:
>Relaxing pace to the day..there was never a rush felt to do anything at any time. We met lovely people from all over the world staying at the Caves who shared in the same attitude - it was terrific.
>The amazing high-caliber quality of the food..typical all-inclusive resorts offer king-sized portions of badly prepared food..everything we ate was fresh and local.
>The blue, blue ocean surrounding the resort..the water temperature was amazing and the abundance of water toys including floats, snorkel gear and noodles were welcome.
>Again, the service..we never had a drink half empty or a need that wasn't met.
>The massage with my husband was one of the best we'd ever experienced.

Yes, there are a few bugs, yes your bathing suit may not completely dry overnight in the outdoor shower and yes the beds are a bit more firm that we're all used to at home but none of these can even be remotely seem as negatives when the location, sea and staff guarantees a relaxing, quite vacation.

There are those who may not like the no-sand-into-the-ocean vs. the rocks. If you are not a strong swimmer, the current and getting in and out of the water may be intimidating to you. If you are -- enjoy the cliff dives!

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like more specifics - I'd be happy to provide. Just go to the Caves - enjoy!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AEL25
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I stayed at The Caves for my honeymoon and we were incredibly pleased!! The scenerary is beautiful!! Jumping off the cliffs is a must and completely thrilling! My husband went snorkeling for his first time, and I was hoping that we would see some fish. We saw lobster, eel, sting rays, and many varieties of fish! We also saw bats while snorkeling in the caves. Thanks Paul!
The food is outstanding!! The service can not be beat! The people at the resort make sure that your needs and wants are met! Defintely try all the mixed rum drinks, and the frozen dirty bananas!..
The cave dinner was very romantic! I will never forget it!
To sum it up... I didn't want to leave!

3 Thank abschultzy
St. Louis
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Like the previous poster, we stayed at One Drop, but we had an entirely different experience. Our trip was absolutely, positively amazing. I am not sure how anyone could think that this location is anything less than paradise. Granted, the pure joy of spending 5 nights away from our two young children was wonderful in itself... but to do it in this environment was absolutely fabulous.

So many other posters have said it better than I could, so I will try to share new details...

One Drop is beautifully charming. Tall ceilings, ocean view, outdoor shower... really special. We had no cleanliness issues whatsoever. The bed is definitely firm, but we had no problems using it. :) I loved waking up to the sounds of staff getting ready for the day. It had AC, but we never needed it.

The food was delicious. Not a bad meal to be had. We did the cave dining and made a special request for lobster. Delicious, wonderful, and so romantic.

The view is really breathtaking. You sit on the side of a cliff wall, staring at the ocean, all day long. It never got old. If that sounds like a little bit of heaven to you too, then this is definitely the place to go. Your view is not obscured by ANYTHING. We saw maybe 2-3 boats a day, and we heard some hooting from Rick's on the weekend, but that's it. Silence, peace, serenity. We also saw dolphins, for pete's sake! How can you beat that?

Breakfast: get the Eggs Benedict with bacon instead of ham. I'm not sure what the heck they do to the bacon, but it is the best ever. And the banana pancakes are amazing. Oh, and the jerk chicken at lunch.... I could go on and on.

Do be prepared for a few bagged snacks during the day only - but honestly, with the quantity of food you get, you'd have to be an olympic athlete to be concerned about going hungry. Just get a dirty banana to tide you over! Yummmmm.

And of course, the staff is wonderful. They knew to leave you alone if you wanted to be left alone, and they chatted with those who wanted to chat. We've never had a vacation that was as private as we wanted, so this was really special. I can't remember names, but we loved them all!

My husband's 2 cents: You definitely have to try the jumps. I have to say, I agree! I didn't think I would like it, but listen to the staff - Paul will tell you the right way to do it, and it is so much fun. And speaking of Paul, the snorkeling at this place is amazing. So many hidden little coves... very cool.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong here! Wonderful experience and we will definitely be back at some point in our lives.

3 Thank Mrs_Poco
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 December 2010

We decided to celebrate our wedding at The Caves with ten of our closest friends and family members. From the time I started emailing the staff and wedding planner to coordinate the event, they were there for every detail and question I had. When we first arrived at The Caves we were greeted with Kadine's smiling face. After that we were introduced to Leon, our butler who immediately served our whole group of 12 some rum punch! I new immediately we had chose the right place to have our wedding! The staff at The Caves is exceptional, every single person who is working is always smiling and making sure your every need is met. We had two different family members that had birthdays to celebrate during our stay and the staff set up special places for us to dine each night at a different spot on the resort with a different menu and birthday cakes! It was so awesome and that was just the beginning. Me and my fiance at the time, also did a seaside couples massage which first the view was just astonishing and the massages were amazing, much recommended! The third day we were there was when we had the Wedding. The spa blocked the whole morning for me and my gals to have some pampering. The wedding was so laid back with no rehearsal, but none was needed they had every detail covered and it was so beautiful. The resort is so perfect for a wedding, it doesn't need much because you have the beautiful carribean, sunsets and landscape, but the staff made it so special. After the ceremony they had a cocktail hour with very delicious appetizers(my favorite were the coconut shrimp, thank you Chef Avery)! Then the staff set up a dinner in the large cave, which is obviously a lot of hard work, but so beautiful, they have to carry all the equipment done the stairs, light a million candles all around the cave and then transport food and drinks up and down the stairs,
Thank you Leon and Zume! The staff is just so professional and will do anything to make sure you are having the time of your life. After the dinner, we also had more drinks and dancing up on the Sands, which was a blast! I could go on and on about the wedding and how amazing, but I will speak of some of the other spectaculars. Like Patrick, definitely meet him he is hilarious, so much fun, danced the night away with us! Paul, took all of our guests out snorkeling and kayaking, showed them all the sea life and showed us his diving skills! Leon, the most professional attentive humble person I have ever met. He will take care of anything you need even if its trying to find you nail polish remover or scissors right before your wedding:P Zume, Pauline, Suzette, Karen, all the Kitchen staff, spa staff and anyone else I may not have mentioned thank you so much for everything!!! All of our guests are so happy about their experience and we are all planning our next trip!

3 Thank tootoos22