“Beautiful Resort - Relaxing and Fun Atmosphere”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in Negril
West Falls, New York
“Beautiful Resort - Relaxing and Fun Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay March 14 - 19th. The resort was everything we expected and more. The rooms were beautiful, we were upgraded to an Oceanfront Jr. Suite (room 1108) because our room was not ready on the day we arrived; it was clean, comfortable and beautiful. The liquor cabinet and refrigerator were re-filled every day and met all out our expectations. The beach was clean, not overly crowded and relaxing but the water was a little on the cool side! The food at the jerk hut on the beach was fabulous, ate there 2x during the week. The service was the best, all folks working at the resort work hard and were friendly and accomodating. Although we did not eat at any of the speciality restraunts, the buffet was out of this world; more selections than you can imagine. There were theme nights and the food was hot, plentiful and fresh. No complaints. The shows at night were fun and we enjoyed the entertainment staff. The drinks were good, although if you'd prefer a "stronger" drink, you'd have to ask for more rum, vodka, etc. We booked a 5 hour shopping trip to downtown Negril, visited 3 shopping centers and Rick's Cafe; 20.00 per person. Fun to see the downtown area, but nothing great. Bus ride from the airport to the resort was a little scary, they drive very aggressively, and took about 2 hours. Did give us the opportunity to see the area though. We very much enjoyed our stay and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank readytotravel52008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Riu Palace for two weeks. The only fault I could point out would be some ants that showed up in our bathroom . When I complained to the staff they sent someone up with a can of spray to dispatch the little pests and all was good again.
The sleep quality would have been excellent except for a couple of nights when US college students on spring break moved into the next room and partied loudly. Not exactly the fault of the hotel! I will have to remember to avoid that week in the future.
We did experience trouble getting into the a-la-carte restaurants as others said we would. I told management about this, don't know that they will make any changes. We didn't want to get up at 6:30 AM to sit in line till 8:00 AM that badly, only did that once. The food in the buffet restaurant was excellent anyway so we ate there. Always had great selection, one night there was lobster, another roast duck, and much more to suit the taste of pretty much anyone except those who just must find something to bit_h about.
I would return there in an instant and would certainly recommend it to a friend.

4 Thank GandT2011
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed at the Riu Palace from Mar 5-12/11.
I've been to the Caribbean several times, always at higher end hotels. This one is right up there.
The thing that struck me the most was the service. EVERYONE was friendly and pleasant...always with a friendly greeting and smile. We found the hotel to be very, very well run. Yes, we didn't always have the full contingent of towels in our room at all times, but sooner or later they were always replenished....and with a smile.
The grounds and hotel are beautiful and beautifully maintained. The food was good, with a good selection at the buffet. We ate at 3 of the a la carte restaurants. Krystal was quite good, the italian was fine, and the steak house quite good. My only complaint of the steakhouse is the poor lighting. Its housed in the open air restaurant close to the beach which is very lovely during the day. At night, unfortunately it is overhead lighting that completely lacks ambiance...all they need is some table top lighting, even candles on the table for a very romantic setting.
As is the story with most all inclusives booking your a la carte restaurant is a major pain. You have to line up at 6:30 in the morning and there are no guarantees.
The beach is quite nice...not up to Veradero or Punta Cana standards but very lovely nonetheless. No complaints there. It takes about an hour to walk to each end of Bloody Bay and back.
We had a small incident that required the services of the hotel nurse ($40) and she was friendly and knowledgeable. (The doctor is $200).
The Half Moon Bay catamaran trip is quite good. The snorkeling was good....saw many more fish than in Cuba last year.
As everyone says on here....the Jerk Chicken shack on the beach was good....never even bothered to go to the buffet for an official lunch.
Be prepared to be serenaded on the beach. There are a few musicians who are quite good (Kevin - black guitar) and Donavan (palm tree scene on his guitar). These two take there music quite seriously and are true performers...make sure you tip them and help them launch their music careers....Jamaica needs some new music stars!
We had massages on the beach that were wonderful....sigh.
The wine is terrible in Jamaica, but what the ----. The Red Stripe is good and cold!
This isn't a "party hotel". If you're looking for great night life apparently the Riu Negril's is more lively....not as nice a hotel though.
Yes, the "king" bed was 2 double beds, but just ask them to tie them together (they will) and they'll remake the bed as one bed....its fine. The beds are firm and comfortable.

1 Thank juliebu2
london, ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay from Feb 28th-March 7th. This was our second time to Jamaica and we had previously stayed at the Grand Palladium in Montego Bay in July 2010.

This resort was fantastic and we couldn't have been happier. The staff are amazing and so down to earth and will go out of their way to make sure you are happy.
The rooms were great - the only complaint I had was the bed and how hard it was (as well as the mosquito bites) but other than that, it was another perfect vacation.

The beach was the most beautiful beach I've seen (and I travel a lot). Crystal clear blue water for miles. There were two pools with a pool bar at one of them which weren't big at all. But with the size of the beach, I can't imagine why anyone would spend their time at the pool.
I would recommend taking a lot a bubba keg as your drinks will last you much longer than in the plastic cups they provide.
There are no umbrella's on the beach so it was hard to find shade, esp in the afternoons when the sun was really hot. I found that people would wake up early and mark their place with towels to get the shady spots.

The food was also great. We ate at 3 out of the 4 a la carte restaurants there. The Italian had to be the best out of them all, and then followed by Krystal. Every night at the Buffet they had a different menu. The selection of food they had was incredible so you'll definately find something you like.

The sunset in the evening was incredible to watch. Around 6:30pm you'll see lots of people just relaxing on the beach and ready with their cameras to take pictures/videos of the sunset. You definately dont want to miss it - beautiful.

Entertainment was also incredible every night and jam packed. Make sure you go early enough to get good seats/table as it filled up quick and they get the guests involved and that was always a great laugh to watch.

Overall it was a fantastic stay and we are going back in November.
And as for the negative reviews - remember that some people have nothing better to do than to complain about the smallest things. Take it from me, you wont regret this place!!

4 Thank valleygirl001
Pomfret
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is a great place. We stayed a week and I can't think of ONE thing to complain about. The weather was lovely- sunny with that wonderful Jamaican breeze. Absolutely FABULOUS sunsets! The room was nice with a perfect view. The mattresses were firm but no big problem. Yes, the king beds are 2 full size pushed together. That didn't really ruin anything for us- it is odd though. We slept well with our slider open, the breeze and the sound of the ocean every night. The beach was absolutely GORGEOUS! There were locals roaming the beach who were a bit annoying- but you get used to them and they are not the least bit pushy if you ignore them.
The service was fantastic. Every single member of the staff was always friendly and checking to see if you needed anything. I broke a bottle of nail polish on our patio and within 10 minutes someone was there to clean it up with a "no problem"
The ala carte restaurants were good. We went to all 4 and loved them all. (the steakhouse was the least favorite) Yes, they had a weird system to get 'reservations' but apparently this works for them. It was REALLY not a hardship to stand in that line. We met some nice people to chat with.The buffet was good too with plenty to choose from. I loved bkfst outside with the egret. But the BEST thing- the jerk chicken hut. Sooo goood.
I got a facial at the spa and I heard the massages were heavenly.
This was such a relaxing week, we would go back there in a second!

2 Thank srrrn
Austin, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

I travelled with my husband and another couple. We just absolutely loved the hotel overall BUT.......there are 2 things that need improvement.
1. When we arrived in our room, it was the most disgusting smell of mildew I have ever smelled. It was coming from the air conditioning vent. We changed and went to dinner, leaving the air off and the patio door open (screen closed though) to see if that would help. It really didn't. We went to the front desk to see if they would change us to another room because it was nauseating. They were booked full so we had no choice but to wait until the morning. We just left the air off and it was a bit better by morning. I was so burned out and tired i didn't even want to change rooms. We just never used the air again the entire time. It turns out there were several rooms in building 5 with that same problem. We talked to other people in other buildings who didn't seem to have that happen. I have been to the carribean and Jamaica several times and I understand it's humid and there will be mustiness. I also am not picky by any means, but it was bad enough to mention so maybe the problem could be rectified.
2. We really could have done without the locals harrassing us. I understand they need to make a living, and i bought serveral items from vendors further down the beach, but it got to be too much. There's got to be a point where enough is enough.

The way I see it, if those are my biggest complaints, we had it good. I would most DEFINITELY return to the RIU palace, I just hope maybe the room smell thing could be worked on.

Now, for the good stuff- The staff was wonderful!!!!! Only one rude gentleman at the front desk, but you can have that anywhere!! We were treated wonderfully- above and beyond- and we tipped the staff to know how much we appreciated their service. I waitressed and bartended for years so I know how it feels to have someone appreciate you. Sherwin and Adrian we miss you soooooooooo much already!!!! Best bartenders EVER!
And Camille was our darling waitress in the Negril Buffet waitress!!! What a beautiful person and I am glad we met you! The beach was the prettiest I have seen yet. I never grew tired of looking at it. The grounds were meticulously cleaned and gorgeous. I loved the food!! Of course there were things that were different and I didn't care for, but that is why i go on vacation to different places- to try new things. If you can't find something you like on the resort grounds, then there is something wrong with YOU and not the food. I ate more in a week than I have in the past 3 months! WOW! We will definitely return someday!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lspeltz23
Dartmouth, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

everything was fantastic, ....the sheltered cove of Bloody Bay allowed for great non motorized water sports (small catamaran, kyacking, wind sailing), one could hire motorized entertainment from locals who are abundently available to solicit business- this took some getting used to but after a few days found the bantering and dialect quite entertaining,
.....rooms clean nicely appointed though lighting not conducive for reading,
must say the medical care i received was excellent, .....unfortunately I became quite ill w sinus infection shortly after arrival and called front desk for help within 15 min hotel nurse evaluated me and within 30 min a physician arrived w medication, ...one does not expect to need such services and it was very reassuring to have had the on-site availability of medical care,
......loved the beach and ability to walk from one end of the bay to the other and visit the other Riu resort, (the Tropical Bay is clearly better suited for a relaxing vacation, my 23 yr old daughter would have preferred the entertainment and activity at the Riu Negril), ...one must purchase ride to the other Riu resort if planning on visiting there in the evening would not recommend walking the beach at night,
....food buffet pretty good, multi national foods available, ....steak resteraunt fantastic
......evening shows entertaining,
....overall staff were pleasant and accomidating,

2 Thank Fairbeach