Cant say enough good things about this resort and our entire Jamaican trip.
Food was excellent. After our first visit to the buffet, never even thought about booking the restaurants (heard they were also excellent, especially good reviews of the Italian one). Beaches were clean with crystal clear waters in the morning. The bay itself is very sheltered with minimal waves even though most days were quite windy (20 to 30 KM winds were the norm). Past the barrier reef.
Chukka: Went zip lining and took the river tube ride. Mixed reviews on the lines with those having previous experience finding the runs short. First timers thought it was great and all loved the tree to tree experience. The tube ride was relaxing (ok, a bit boring) but the guides were definitely entertaining.
Diving: Went on two afternoon dives with the on resort dive shop - Scuba Caribe. Mariam is an excellent dive master and was great with some newbies in our group that took the Discover Diving Course and went on a reef dive.
Fishing: The charters are a crap shoot. 4 guys in our group went out for 8 hours and got 1 fish. I went on 3 trips with the locals who pull up on the beach. $60 an hour, they supply the gear and I personally liked going out with them far more than any open water charter. Actually went out 3 times with one of them and hand pulled in a 25lb Mahi Mahi! Look for Moon (Boat is Moon Star). If your into fishing, bring some extra tackle to leave with the gang. You need anything else while you are down there ask for Bobby... from Aloe to car rentals and tours. (hangs out by trees on west end) Will be doing a separate review on the fishing...
Martha Brae: Romantic rickshaw ride on the water... great place to get engaged... yeah, we did. She said yes, even though i took off fishing 3 times. Its that romantic. Ask for Larry... great guide. We rented a car to get here and that was an experience on its own. Would not recommend driving back in the dark. They do NOT turn off high beams and there are no lines on most of the roads.
Rick's Cafe: Took the catamaran through the resort group, stopped for some snorkelling on route. Must do excursion. If its windy, I would suggest gravol unless you have good sea legs. Captain and crew were great, drinks kept flowing and the net is a wild ride when the waves pick up.
Definitely going back and would repeat all except Chukka but only because its more of a "one time" kind of thing. One last thing.... bug spray. 1 in 20 people get attacked by Sun Flies...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica