“Our Wedding at RIU Palace - Amazing!”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 27 December 2013

12/4-12/9
Arrival:
It was about 1.5 hour drive from MBJ airport. A little crazy driving, but better than how others made it sound. We were greeted in Lobby with Rum Punch. Got checked in and had help with our bags to our room. (We had A LOT of stuff due to 12 days in Jamaica for our wedding and honeymoon) We were told to meet the amstar rep at 915am then next day (we didn't make it, but wonder if we would have gotten the 5 min tour so we knew where everything was).

Rooms: We had a Junior Suite Ocean Front in building 6. It and Bldg 1, were the farthest from Buffet/food/bar. From the balcony we had a GREATview of the beach. It was two doubles pushed together to make a King, but the bedding is made separately, so if you want some snuggle time, untuck or get a King. There are liquor bottles above mini bar, water, coke, diet coke and 4 red stripes in fridge which is restocked daily. The bottled water was very handy.

Our room didn't smell, but a few guests did have "sewer" like smell issues and relocated rooms once something was available. Our guests (31 ppl in 15 rooms) were spread out throughout the resort. Didn't see much of anyone who wasn't in our building as they ended up at the other end of the beach. Which is fine, but would have liked to have our bridal party close by. Especially the Maid of Honor and Mother of the bride. It was not convenient on the wedding day to have them at the opposite end of the resort.

Bathroom was clean and good size with Double Sinks. Toilet was hard to flush even for me, but our 4 year old couldn't press the button in middle top of tank to flush. Shower is narrow and curtain clings to you. Easier to shower with the curtain open.

Housekeeping was great. Even if we left our Do Not Disturb sign out until late afternoon,they still got us taken care of.

Our room was quite and away from the Evening activities which was fine.

Free secure wifi on resort - worked great!

Beach and Resort:

The Beach was phenomenal! Soft sand and miles of it. Not super wavy, bay is calm and can see the bottom all they way out to the roped off area. Plenty of shade available if desired. Some guests found several starfish and there are small fish swimming fairly shallow. Also had water aerobics in the ocean.

There are local selling sarongs, purses, Cigarettes. Just tell them no thanks and they move on. The jetski rental and parasailing were a little more persistent. The Pool Bar and jerk chicken is a good jaunt from Building 6 beach area.

The pool was very nice as well. Swim up bar in one pool. Built in lounge chairs in the pool as well. The other pool had volleyball and water polo when the Activity/Entertainment staff tried to rally people to play.

Buffet & Bar:
The buffet for Breakfast and Dinner had very extensive offerings. Eggs, hashbrowns, made to order omlettes, pancakes, fruit. Pizza, Pasta and themed food for the night. Tacos. It was probably the best buffet we've seen in the caribbean. We did eat at the Italian restaurant one night. It was good, late reservations however. The appetizers we better than the meal in our opnion. They also accommodated a very large group of 16. The jerk chicken hut was delicious, but had to get there quick, they ran out a few times. Also a lunch buffet in the steakhouse which had lots to offer and was good too.

All of the bars were great! No Disco at this resort though.

Entertainment: We only went to 1 show and it was pretty fun. My youngest brother was picked to do a dance off. He is the last person to do this, but he did a great job! He had the loudest cheering section. The prize was rum and since he was underage, he couldn't win, but he was the best. It was hilarious and we all still talk about it!

Kids:
We did have our 4 year old son with us and 2 teenagers (16, 17), but can only think of 3 other kids we saw the whole time. This resort is kid friendly, not kid focused. So for those who may want an adults only trip, this resort really did feel like adults. For the most part everyone seemed 30+. There weren't those crazy 20 year olds acting like idiots.

Staff:
The staff were great! They helped get us a list of guests/room # so we could pass out our welcome bags. The buffet staff will welcome you their section and each night after that will have your favorite spot ready for you. This may be tip related. We did feel more obligated to tip at this resort than at others mainly because we saw several others tip as well.

Wedding:
We booked our trip through Lauren at VIP Vacations. She got us a great group rate! A few months before the wedding she told us that everyone was being upgraded from Garden View to Junior suite Ocean View AND the rates had dropped as well. My husband and I paid for a Junior Suite Ocean Front, but ended up getting an upgrade, so we downgraded to the Ocean View to be able to get the Ocean Front as an upgrade and got about $1000 refunded to us for our stay. Our first guests arrive a day before us and were dropped off at the wrong RIU, they had to pay to get a ride to the right resort. That I believe was an issue with the Transfer company. The beach ceremony took place in between building 4 and 6 on the beach by the gazebo. We were able to watch a few weddings before our big day. Sophie was great and answered all of our questions. Our wedding was incredible! After the vows, the CD wouldn't play our songs to walk out on, but they quickly found One Love to play instead. It wasn't All you need is Love, but it was something. Our dinner was in the Steakhouse. There are like 3-4 arms of the steakhouse so even though it was termed Semi-private, it felt like we were at our own reception. There is a pre-fix menu which was delicious. Had a 2 tiered white frosted cake which was plenty. The Maid of Honor and Best man were able to give their speeches with no issue. There wasn't a first dance at the reception, but there was beach entertainment after and we did dance there. It was all perfect! I had a hard time finding reviews by other newlyweds who were married at the resort, so if you have any questions. ASK! The resort says 18 green chairs are included. We needed 24 chairs. The day of the wedding all the chair were white folding chairs, it was perfect. (and what I wanted, but didn't think it was worth paying for since they are literally in use for 15 min). The ceremony was quick, and the officiant was great. You do say your I Do's, then you and your witnesses step to a table to sign marriage certificates,then you come back to the altar and are presented which was a little odd. But you are in Jamaica mon, who cares! I was slightly worried about 3 weddings in one day at this resort, but I never even knew another ceremony had or was going to occur. We did the 2pm ceremony. It got a little hot for pictures after, but I felt like the 4pm wedding would be pressed for time to get pics done before the sun went down. And we were still able to do more pics at sunset.

Overall:
RIU Palace Tropical Bay was amazing! They made our wedding day so special! I will add that we went to Ocho for our Honeymoon and really wanted to come back to Negril for the beach and calm waters.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6214. Junior Suite Ocean Front. 2nd floor, building 6, right in middle of ocean...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank sdog1122

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is the third trip to Jamaica of my husband and me. This was our first trip to Negril. We love the country and it's very friendly people. We have always stayed at the Rui properties and have been very pleased until this trip. The hotel is in need of a major upgrade and so is most of the staff. Very few spoke to us, unless we spoke first which is so unlike any of our previous trips. We did have a good time, but will never travel the week before or Christmas week again. This is also the time when the locals are taking their holiday And the entire resort was overrun by unattended children with parents no where in site. The beaches were beautiful and the trip to the lighthouse and Rick's was fun. We will return to Jamaica, but never to this property. Hotel and staff need a major upgrade. I agree with most others on this site that it is not a 5 Apple deal..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kmh56
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I went to Jamaica to participate in the Reggae Marathon, Half-Marathon and 10k. This all-inclusive hotel was recommended by a friend and it was the best place to stay for your dollar.

After a long trip from the airport, arriving at the hotel was the best thing the doctor ordered. The check-in was flawless and the desk staff during check-in were very cordial. The room was very cozy, however, I wasn't pleased to see the high step into the shower. The guests need to be extremely careful stepping in and out of the shower because you can fall. I would suggest that hotel knock down that small step up and lower it. The refrigerator was fully stocked and good to have, when needed. The cleaning service was good, but the thing that was disappointing to me was the service with getting fresh face towels. One day, I was told they were out of towels and waiting for some to be cleaned and the next day we were given hand towels to wash our faces with, not good. Then, we went to the front desk and they tried to downgrade the seriousness of it until my roommate stepped in. She's a native, but lives in the US and felt they were treating us differently. So, I would suggest that the management fix this issue.

The food choices at the buffets were varied and delicious! The staff did an excellent job turning the food over, keeping the tables clean, being very accommodating, working together and having pleasant attitudes. I applaud the manager for an excellent staff! I didn't eat in the other restaurants because I was so pleased with the buffets!

The beach/pool, gym, entertainment and other areas of the hotel were kept clean and neat. We had no problem getting anything we wanted.

I would highly recommend staying at this hotel because I truly believe you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank klexkod
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed at this RIU Palace (Tropical Bay) from Dec.16-23rd. Everything was amazing! The ride in from the airport went very smoothly and the check-in was quick. The resort is very beautiful---lush and tropical! The beach is fantastic and the water is clear and tourqois. No hassles on the beach at all! The service was great; everyone very professional and friendly.Rooms very clean.Food excellent. Spa service great.Nightly entertainment fantastic. Absolutely no complaints. Will definately go back. No problems at all---an excellent vacation choice!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sarah_sToronto
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon based upon the information given to is by our travel agent. It was that this is a 5 or 6 apple resort or something. Well let's just say it more like a 2.5 apple resort.

While not a bad place it just let us disappointed because we came in expecting much more based on the ratings. If we expected a 3 star place it would have been just what we thought.

The room smelled musty at first but after a day with the balcony door open and tons of sunscreen on us the smell was gone. Secondly but maybe the biggest disappointment as far as the room was concerned was that we booked a jr. Suite which states as having a king bed...we'll the bed was two twins pushed together. Kind of makes it hard to get close on a honeymoon. We were told that only one of the buildings has actual king beds and that it was all booked up so make sure you get a room in that building.

The food was...well let's just say I couldn't wait to eat anywhere but there after the third day. The buffet which runs for breakfast lunch and dinner is always the same Tasteless, not quite properly prepared food.

The resort offers 4 restaurants in which we tried 3. Now keep in mind you have to wake up early and wait in line near the front desk to make reservations for these places. You really only need to do this for the steak restaurant because it fills up fast and for good reason. It's the only one that's good and by good I mean almost as good as outback... Which isn't very good...

The Italian restaurant was poor I had linguine in a white wine cream sauce and shrimp. Maybe I just don't know anything but they put green pepper strips in and around the pasta which permeated into everything on the dish. So everything tasted a little like a green pepper....

The Japanese place was just gross all around. A few couples actually got up and left between that app and main course. I wish I did too.

The deserts were all these gelatinous cubes colored differently but all kind of tasted the same. The ice cream was strange.

The drinks were ok just really sugary and not very potent. Plus I'm a fan of spiced runs just not really Appleton which is in every drink just about.

The pool was small and they always had stupid games going on poolside...like flip cup and stuff. Really loud when you trying to relax. There us also a bar on one side which is in the water and above. The one in the water is usually very full. Saying this drinking makes you have to pee and pee often after a few. The closest bathroom was probably 100ft away and as I sat at a table in the pool I slowly started to realize these people have been here for a long time and have been heavily drinking and no one has left the pool for the past hour and a half.... Stay out of the communal urinal.

The beach and water were the best part and maybe the only good part. We spent most of our time there. I suggest pay a little more and stay somewhere else or don't listen to me and try it out for yourself and come home wishing you went elsewhere.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank james60811
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I traveled during December 2013, hotel was fair bestter than expected, all staff I dealt with were very friendly and helpfull, food was excelliant and more choices to chose from, room very clean and kept that way. Beach was clean with more than enough loungers. Nightlife was very good.

Room Tip: Hotel for some of the excurson a long way away, took 3 hours to get to Dunns River fall in at best a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We love everything about this place. First of all, the beach is the best one we have ever seen. Absolutely amazing. The service is great and the staff really helpful and charming, always there to make sure you are alright. We really enjoyed being able to get drinks right on the beach, and the free minibar and room service.

Rooms are nice and clean, nothing to complain about. We really liked the food at the buffets - the buffets offered various options and there was something for everyone. We also tried the special restaurants and the food was great there too, especially at the steak house and Krystal.

If you want to go snorkelling, which we recommend because it was lovely (we saw a turtle!), don't go with the big boats. Go with Henry, a charming local who has his own little boat, also named Henry. He will go swimming with you and tells you the names of the fishes, he picks up shells etc from the bottom for you to touch. You find him on the beach right between the Riu-hotels, next to the little shops on the beach. He is not one of those who walks along the beach.

We really liked the jamaican people, everyone we met were super friendly with a no problem-attitude. Ya mon!

To sum it up, go here if you want the perfect holiday - you won't be disappointed.

/Gelinda and David, Stockholm, Sweden