I spent 5 days in Negril at the Riu Tropical Bay last May. If you are looking for an all inclusive option, it is very nice. The rooms and facilities are all clean and nice. The food is pretty good; we had the buffet for breakfast every morning and there were tons of options - anything from cereal to smoothies to eggs to pancakes and lots of fresh fruit. The restaurants require reservations several days in advance, especially on the weekends. The foo din the restaurants is pretty good, but our favorite was the beach stand near the pool where they cooked chicken, plantains, and I believe cabbage. It was delicious!
The room came stocked with Red Stripe in the fridge (yum) and a liquor dispenser on the wall, including rum (the best!), vodka, gin, and whiskey. The liquor is replenished each day, which is nice. There are also some mixers in the fridge. Our room did not have a beach view, but it only took a minute to get to the beach. We had three people staying in a room with a bed and a couch, and we were very comfortable. The rooms are plenty spacious and the bathroom is very nice.
We went on a snorkel excursion during our stay, which was a lot of fun other than the bit of rain. We also went on a sunset cruise back from Senor Frog's, and had a ton of fun dancing and drinking with the crew! There are tons of activities to do at the resort, but I recommend getting away from it for a day if you can. The only negative to this resort, for me anyway, was that it wasn't near many things in town. We took a taxi one day to go somewhere in town, though it wasn't the nicest/safest area.
The best part was the beach, of course. The water is perfectly clear, and we spent hours just floating in the warm water. Overall, very nice place. This is the best option for people looking to stay at the resort and do activities that are offered there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, TravelUp, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica