We have stayed at Riu hotels before as we find them very good and the Tropical Palace did not disappoint. We had a junior suite on the ground floor with a garden and sea view. The room was spacious, included optics of local branded spirits, a fridge full of beer, water and soft drinks, this was re-filled daily although we phoned room service to ask for extra when we ran out one day and it was replenished within half an hour! The buffet restaurant where we had most of our meals offered an excellent choice of food at every meal time and the standard was very high, we opted to eat out on the terrace which was particularly pleasant. We also booked to eat in the steak house on two occasions which was part of our all inclusive package and this was very good, I would recommend it, we also tried the Italian restaurant which was good but to be honest the pasta served in the buffet was just a as good, the only difference is you get the service in the a la carte restaurants. The beach is fantastic, clean and there are plenty of sunbeds. We used the beach every day over the pool area as although the pool area looks lovely it was busy and they played loud music most of the day, one of the pools was used for games often and the other one had water aerobics in it for part of every day. There are plenty of sun beds and umbrellas but it wasn't for us, we prefer not to have to listen to the constant thump of music but each to their own! The pool bar is great and the walk to the pool bar from the beach isn't onerous, in fact it's good to have to walk occasionally!! There is waiter service on the beach anyhow.
We used the gym which is ok but was very busy first thing and the air con wasn't great so I recommend you jog on the beach.
There are 'hawkers' on the beach selling a variety of things, they are not allowed to approach you directly and are only allowed to walk along the shore line but they shout their wares to you, this is not a problem as you can say no thankyou and they wish you a good day and move on, the musicians are fantastic though and will sing and play 2 or 3 songs for you for a couple of dollars. We liked this as they are characters and lovely to chat to........you do get fed up of Bob Dylan songs though!
The staff in the hotel are wonderful, very attentive, friendly and hard working.
The piano bar in reception is lovely in the evening and we often went for a pre-dinner cocktail and to listen to the resident piano player, whose repertoire is extensive.
All in all we had a fantastic time and would return in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica