“Excellent all round.”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have stayed at Riu hotels before as we find them very good and the Tropical Palace did not disappoint. We had a junior suite on the ground floor with a garden and sea view. The room was spacious, included optics of local branded spirits, a fridge full of beer, water and soft drinks, this was re-filled daily although we phoned room service to ask for extra when we ran out one day and it was replenished within half an hour! The buffet restaurant where we had most of our meals offered an excellent choice of food at every meal time and the standard was very high, we opted to eat out on the terrace which was particularly pleasant. We also booked to eat in the steak house on two occasions which was part of our all inclusive package and this was very good, I would recommend it, we also tried the Italian restaurant which was good but to be honest the pasta served in the buffet was just a as good, the only difference is you get the service in the a la carte restaurants. The beach is fantastic, clean and there are plenty of sunbeds. We used the beach every day over the pool area as although the pool area looks lovely it was busy and they played loud music most of the day, one of the pools was used for games often and the other one had water aerobics in it for part of every day. There are plenty of sun beds and umbrellas but it wasn't for us, we prefer not to have to listen to the constant thump of music but each to their own! The pool bar is great and the walk to the pool bar from the beach isn't onerous, in fact it's good to have to walk occasionally!! There is waiter service on the beach anyhow.
We used the gym which is ok but was very busy first thing and the air con wasn't great so I recommend you jog on the beach.
There are 'hawkers' on the beach selling a variety of things, they are not allowed to approach you directly and are only allowed to walk along the shore line but they shout their wares to you, this is not a problem as you can say no thankyou and they wish you a good day and move on, the musicians are fantastic though and will sing and play 2 or 3 songs for you for a couple of dollars. We liked this as they are characters and lovely to chat to........you do get fed up of Bob Dylan songs though!
The staff in the hotel are wonderful, very attentive, friendly and hard working.
The piano bar in reception is lovely in the evening and we often went for a pre-dinner cocktail and to listen to the resident piano player, whose repertoire is extensive.
All in all we had a fantastic time and would return in a heartbeat.
Yeh mon!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a wall on the terrace which is a bit obtrusive when you are sat. The upper r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank jaxr

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Only one key available upon check in, based upon what I heard this is normal. Oh, grab your beach towel before you leave the lobby area as there is only one hut passing them out. Avoid building 3-4, they don't have amenities on that end, but do enjoy the exercise getting back up to the front where everything is. Be sure to make reservations for dining upon arrival as they only take reservations two days in advance e.g. check in on Mon, dine on Wen. And PLEASE MEN, don't forget your slacks for dining, they will turn you away; they are strict about no shorts, tank tops. LADIES please where a wrap over that swim wear, they won't allow you to eat in the buffet area. Being the bug spray or pay $15 for our (USA) $5 can. Enjoy!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Malinda S
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great place to be with a loved one..family member... Or practically anyone. Property is clean .. Food is great a 24 hour room service is a plus!! Stayed in the ocean view suite.. Had a side window but was okay... Ask for towels and you shall receive.

Room Tip: Ocean view is not directly on beach... Just walk!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soph E
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay, and we can not say enough about the entire experience. I am a travel agent so I have been to many all inclusive properties in various Caribbean countries along with Mexico and Central America, aside from the hotel we were married at 10 years ago in the Dominican Republic, this was by far the best location, food and staff I have come across. Jamaican people are the most genuine that I have met, with nothing being lost in translation, you certainly get what you ask for. A good morning or a simple hello goes along way from guests at the hotel to staff who are there trying to give you a wonderful vacation. Buffet restaurants, a la cartes ie Steakhouse and Italian were wonderful, no complaints. Weather was a little rainy every afternoon, but we didn't waste any of our time and were by the pool by 7:30am. Great job to the staff and management at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay. Managers were constantly roaming the property and speaking with guests which is a great touch and very hands on. Would love to travel back to Riu Palace Tropical Bay, awesome property!!

Room Tip: Our room location was in building 5, which I had read that location was noisy due to the road being...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank knobbyHuntsville
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel grounds are beautiful and the staff could not have been more accommodating. The food was good and plentiful with a great variety. Probably the best at any resort we've vacationed so far. The pool area is nice with under water lounge seats and swim up bar. There was always music and fun activities going on. The Renova Spa was big hit. Collette my masseuse was awesome!! The only down side was the travel from the airport to the hotel -- it took 2 hours.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luvlyava
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Wonderful stay! Why...friendly staff, above average food quality, pristine beach, clean/modern room. I'd give this resort a 4 out of 5 stars. The Steak House was excellent...my Rib-eye was huge and tasty. I wasn't impressed by the Italian restaurant, as appetizers were at a buffet bar which defeats the purpose of a sit down upscale dinner. The beach was patrolled by security who made sure sellers didn't stop and bother sun-bathers. The staff is constantly cleaning and courteous.
The main buffet offered tasty and good quality food/desserts. Wifi worked well throughout the property and even at pool and it's free!

Room Tip: Reservations at Steak House hard to get...book asap. Most rooms have view of Ocean. Take towel with...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jam43065
Reviewed 25 April 2014

(3.5) So, I've just completed a 5 night stay at Riu Palace in Bloody Bay, Jamaica. (Yes, I know they like to call it 'Tropical Bay', but it's really 'Bloody Bay'. It used to be a whaling ship port).

This is my 1st Jamaica experience, but my 3rd all inclusive, with my two prior being in Riviera Maya, Cancun Mexico. I'll start with the good, then move into the not so good.

The resort and staff- very friendly with the unusual exception of some of the front desk staff. The Jamaicans are very friendly and I've really enjoyed some of the staff in our brief stay.
Bloody bay is quite beautiful. It's a very serene area, with roughly 2.8 miles of very calm, beautiful beach and beautiful sunsets. Very nice morning jogs on a completely raked beach, with almost no surf in April.
The food: some outstanding chicken, pork, and breakfast buffets along with the steak house Restuarant and very good desserts. The Japanese Restuarant left a lot to be desired.
Challenges: the room and repairs. We had a first floor room with an 'ocean view' that was nice but had frequent power outages, with our room circuit breaker constantly tripping. When the circuit breaker trips at 3am, with only A/C and a ceiling fan running, that tell me there's a problem. Trying to get repairs was a challenge, as our phone was never functioning nor repaired the entire week.
Wifi: very limited service throughout the resort, except in the main lobby. I was shocked to find full wifi in Secrets Capri, so the poor wifi available in Jamaica is probably more the norm.
Entertainment: the resort entertainment staff was amazing and always full of bountiful energy. Fun stuff.
The Wild-thing excursion boat: The large excursion catamaran to the reef, Rick's bar and sunset was a fun, loud party that's sure to be enjoyed by the kids. If you like loud Reggie on a sardine packed boat ride, don't miss it! Personally I'll pass.
- Jamaican: In Bloody bay, the locals are quite busy peddling just about anything. And, if it sparks your interest, EVERYONE is selling pot. ALOT more peddlers than I've ever experienced in Cancun. It was tolerable but occasionally annoying.
The really ugly: vacations for me are not just your resort time. They also include the challenges of travel. For me it's door to door. We traveled down on Saturday and returned on a weekday. Discarding the flight delays, the Montego Bay immigration and airport transportation are the worst I've experienced in 26 years of Carribean travel. 1.5 hrs immigration wait, 45 minutes to get our pre booked travel in motion followed by 1 hr 45 minutes travel time from the airport to Riu palace. I was confident our weekday return would be less painful. Boy was I wrong! Montego Bay airport is the most poorly organized I've ever experienced! Air-Trans in Montego Bay was completely disorganized and created a 1.5 hr check-in process. Unbelievable!
So, is Riu palace very nice and affordable? Yes. Will I be going back? No. Have fun in Jamaica and just keep repeating after the locals....."nooooo problem".

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends