Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
US$99
  • Pool
US$212
US$193
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$69
Hedonism II(Negril)
US$767
US$59
  • Pool
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$148
Travelocity
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$484
US$469
Bookit.com
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$78
Cancelon
5,666 results
All reviewsbloody bayspecialty restaurantsocean frontfusion restaurantpool barjerk hutjerk chickenentertainment staffpushed togetherrick's cafescuba caribemusty smellbeautiful beachlobsterreservation systema la carteslunch buffet
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for 6 days, 5 nights and enjoyed all of it. The grounds are lovely and kept very clean. The staff was tremendously friendly and helpful, making us feel instantly welcome and at home. The rooms are great!
The food here is fab, fab, fab - there really is something for everyone. Each night at the buffet featured a special dish, with both American and Jamaican fare, and plenty of variety. The desserts, especially, are mind-blowing. YUM. I can't say enough about the service! No sooner did I put down a water glass than it was refilled. A special shout-out to Nadine, Aaron, Verna, and Tienne for doing so much for us. On my birthday, Nadine decorated our breakfast table, made me a special plate, and that evening I found a birthday cake in my room!
I will miss Jamaica and I hope I get to go again! Thank you Riu!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1 and were quite happy. There are no elevators. The 2nd floor is a little quieter and seemed to have fewer mosquitos.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Holly K
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wonderful resort for a first time visit to Jamaica. Beautiful slice of beach. The staff rocks!! I stayed here the year the property opened and it springboard me into many Negril vacations over the years. Great family vacation all inclusive if that's what you're looking for. I prefer to give my money to the locals instead of a large corporation these days, but whatever works for you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Staff is AWESOME, especially Aaron and Shelly. LaToya is one of the BEST bartenders!
Entertainment is very good, although, not enough.
Beach is outstanding, as far as the vendors go, just like Sand and Water is the norm so are the vendors- here is a tip, if you are not interested in what they are selling, just be polite and tell them "No thank you - I am ok brother/sister" and they will no longer pursue you.

The Food in the buffet is very good/excellent depends on the time you arrive and whether or not you are a fussy eater. If you are fussy, you may not like it and if you arrive too late your choices may be limited. The additional restaurants however are ok - they try, but fall way short of the mark. Here's why, way too much labor involved to get a reservation, especially for the steakhouse, this does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about their touted selections. If you fancy yourself as a somelier this is not the resort for you! Their selections are good as long as you are not a wine snob, if you are spare yourself the aggravation.
The Drinks - pretty and flavorful, my experience was that if you didn't request rum in your drinks, chances were you were enjoying a virgin cocktail - not a good practice if the drink is advertised as having alcohol in it.
The Spa - maybe it is a little over priced but every one needs a little pampering, especially if your on Holiday/Vacation - Lorie and Tanya are superbly outstanding and are highly recommended! Attn: Riu please bring Marcia Back!
Tours and Excursions- if you really want to experience Jamaica's true beauty try working with a local that specializes in custom excursions ( less expensive and more personal ) - my family, friends and I work with a gentleman named Leon Burke 876-896-4942 or 876-289-0002, website www.jahhiya.com - "well worth the money!" - Jahhiya Travel Service Limited.
The rooms are nicely done however, beware of the Hard Beds, ask for Mattress padding upon arrival. If you don't like Mosquitoes don't forget your insect repellent - we forgot ours and we had so many mosquito bites we had to declare them when we passed through customs.
If you are using your Credit Cards, bring your MC or Visa cause they don't take AMEX.
Overall, the experience was great until the night before my last - they allow folks to smoke Marijuana at the Lobby Piano Bar - our enjoyment of this common area was cut short due to this lawlessness. The evening staff didn't seem to care, this made me rethink whether or not this is truly a family friendly property. It seems as though some of the staff doesn't respect Miriam, the grounds operations manager - just hope and pray you don't experience anything that you have to complain about. When viewing the bigger picture for the most part, with the exception of our last night there, it was a great trip - you just have to learn to get what you need. Tipping is always appreciated and often goes along way.
My 3 star rating is aimed exclusively at RIU's Corporate Team - Come to your properties and give them the attention they deserve, I am sure you guys make enough money to do that!

Room Tip: Ocean Front Suites or Junior Suites on the 3rd floor - Less Mosquitoes higher up Ask for bed padding upon arrival.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Ross H
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Went with Thomson's 16-6-14, what a bunch of cowboys flight delayed for a hour after boarding where we were waiting for some ESSENTIAL catering items, strangely enough after the hour whoever was providing this/these ESSENTIAL item(s) wasn't even answering phone so plane takes off without the ESSENTIAL item.
Montego Bay airport second time of using this establishment, last time an unmitigated disaster, queuing for immigration hot and not much better this time. About 90 minutes to hotel, very prompt checking us in, well I never paid for a view but thought 30' of overgrown foliage, trees leaning onto balcony, view of next door hotel through chain link fence wasn't really a brochure enhancing view.

Room wise its a RIU they are all basically the same, and its hard to remember which country you are in when you wake up to uniform decoration etc.

Well lets get the moaning out of the way, regular power cuts up until the fire broke out..... First two nights power went down for hour plus, this was eventually cured when the ice maker burst into flames during the third night, I don't mean sizzled and sparked but caught alight and was well ablaze, we were awoken by a fellow guest banging on the door, no a member of staff to guide/assist guests in this scenario, a security guard non hotel staff and what appeared a member of the ground staff assisted by a guest extinguished a large fire, fire brigade turned up some 20-30 minutes later took a look and departed. My gripe is no one form the management/supervising staff appeared to check all was well guests safe etc. But then the Thomson rep didn't either the following day.... Well power back on, no more fires but you could wake up to no water to the block................ Food average not a great deal of choice or even hot, but you could get by, speciality restaurants not much better food at best tepid other times (particularly the Italian) cold and not cooked as ordered.

Beach very good, lovely clear water and always clean. staff generally very helpful apart from Andrew aka Scarface in the pool bar who would totally ignore guests he appeared to like for reasons best known to himself.

Montego Bay airport on way back 2.5 hours late getting off as the check in system crashed, to speed things up they disregarded customer booked seats etc and gave passes out willy nilly which caused great grief on the plane, lets me honest if you paid £300 for an upgrade and found someone in your seat who hadn't paid you wouldn't be happy, then they sold an extra seat on an already full flight, so that lucky individual had to be located and removed and their luggage located. This was the second time to Jamaica but due to this and previous experiences there won't be a third visit, which is bad news for a country dependant on tourism,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank bobcatbobster
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was our third visit to this hotel after marrying there 10 years ago. It was amazing as ever and if anything has improved over the years. Beautiful beaches, friendly staff and a good selection of food for all tastes. We were treated to a romantic candlelit dinner for 2 on the beach, with our own waiter and after made a wish with a Chinese lantern. This evening I will never forget.

Our only problem was the mosi's. My husband had 15 bites just on one leg. So if you are sensitive to them bring plenty of mosi repellent.

Hopefully I will be back to celebrate another Anniversary as this place has a special place in my heart.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends