Our trip was originally from June 5-June 11th but due to bad weather in Dallas, was extended two more days. We left the Riu TB and went into Montego Bay and stayed at the Riu there to be closer to the airport (more on that later!)
We hired Talk of the Town to transport us from the airport in to Negril and the trip took us 3 hours due to construction, rain and the fact that Sienna had a bit of a problem talking and driving at the same time! :) Check in was a breeze and we were placed on the second floor in building 3 with a beautiful view of the ocean between the palm trees. I think some rooms on the second floor would definately have obstructed views because of the trees...ours did not. Our housekeeper, Sandria, was awesome and made us towel art every day...we left her a $3 tip every day, also (there were 3 of us in the room).
My 10 year old daughter and I played sand volleyball everyday at 10am and 4pm. Everybody was very comfortable with her playing after they saw that she could actually hold her own and could pass and serve the ball over the net from the back line!! It was such a blast! The water was amazing. You can walk all the way out to the rope and still see the bottom. We found very few shells, which was disappointing (but hit the jackpot when we went in to Montego Bay!) The SeaDoo riders are very irritating...the vendors do not hassle you. A simple "no thank you" works very well. Unfortunately, my daughter and I got to witness a drug deal right in front of us on the beach...didn't bother the man and his girlfriend and they were obviously American, from up North from their accents. Sat less than 10 ft from us and did the deal then smoked 2 joints in front of us. I chose to use it as a learning tool for my daughter of what not to do and how not to act in front of others....EVER.
The food was good. There is always something that you can find to eat. How anybody can say the food here is bad, is amazing. With that amount of food, how can you not possibly find something to fill your stomach. Krystle, for us, was outrageously bad. The only thing good was the chocolate dessert. The pumpkin soup was disgusting. The Steakhouse was good. Unfortunately, we did not get to eat in the Italian restaurant. Breakfast was awesome and the omelet bar cook ROCKED!
The entertainment staff made our stay. Neil is precious and Max and Ninja kept us laughing. My daughter would go in search of Neil every day. Thanks to all of them. The Grease soundtrack was horrible but the music and dancing was very good. The Michael Jackson look-alike show was the same...the sound system made the shows very hard to sit through. Reggae night was the best!!! My daughter danced her little feet off!
We booked a snorkeling tour with Famous Vincent. We took a taxi to the Burger King in town and met him at the dock behind there. There were only 6 people total on the tour and it was amazing. Vincent swam down and brought up humongous starfish, sea cucumbers, sea urchins... The cell number that folks have here on TripAdvisor is not a recent number....Call the Rockhouse Restaurant. They have his current number! This is the only was to go snorkeling....Do NOT go on one of the big boats with alot of people!
When our flight was canceled, the TB was going to charge us $398 for another night but the Riu Montego Bay (not a Palace) was only $210 and was closer to the airport. We chose to move closer to the airport. Once we checked in...we wound up needing 2 nights...we realized why we picked Negril. The beach had almost no shade and you could only walk a few feet out in the water before you hit seagrass! Yuck :( There were hundreds of people at the immaculate pool..because they couldn't, or wouldn't, go in the water! The service was non-existent.. It was if they could care less if you were there or not. We will never stay in anything less than a Palace again!!!!
If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Southall Travel, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica