My wife and I travelled to the Riu Palace for a week after a last minute booking through First Choice from Birmingham airport UK. We paid £740 each all in.
Having stayed at Riu's in Dom Rep and Cancun we expected the usual high standard, and we got it. As the hotel was a Palace in stead of the ClubHotels we were used to there was all inclusive room service and a few other extras.
The ariport was a knightmare, queing for security as the hostage crisis had only just finished. The transfer took 3 hours due to Montego Bay traffic, although only one and a half on the return. Again, on return the airport was a knightmare, lots of waiting around, took about 3 hours to get into departures, not much time for shopping at all.
The staff were by far the friendliest I have encountered, the bar staff especially, they actually looked like they enjoyed their jobs and your company. There was a massive choice of drinks, anything you can imagine, it was available.
The beach was great, very tidy, and great sunset views, never short of loungers.
Food in the buffet was so good we only ate a la carte once. Usual Riu stuff, plenty of premium foods, steak, shrimp etc. Massive variety. Champagne available for breakfast.
Rooms the best I've been in. Minibar well stocked with water, Red Stripe and mixers for the Rum, Whisky and Vodka on wall optics.
The hotel in general was very tidy.
You can walk down the beach both ways, one way is the Riu Negril, in which you can use all the facilities, however, they can not use the Palace.
There were activities on throughout the day, incuding beach volleyball, football etc.
Evening entertainment was watchable, the African and Grease nights were good.
All in all the best accomodation I've stayed at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica