“No Problems Mon”

Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
New York
“No Problems Mon”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Thanks to Trip Advisor members I knew as much as could be known about this resort before even stepping foot on their property.

Four night visit last week. Young girl at check in was extremely friendly. Had my cheat sheet with various room numbers that I was going to request from reading previous posts here-didn't need it; they upgraded us to an oceanfront room!

Room was exactly what was anticipated. Hubby and I actually loved the firmness of the mattresses that others have complained about. Yes they are two double beds pushed together and called a king size? Housekeeping was quite accomodating and thorough and perhaps the friendliest of all the employees here.

In room refrigerator was great to have. Just left a note requesting what we wanted with a few dollars and items were replenished beyond our expectations.

AC in room shuts off when sliding door is left open. Good energy conservation idea!

Only used room service for breakfast but it was delivered on time and a nice beginning to our day.

Couldn't sit out on balcony during afternoon hours as sun was scorching but did know from previous posts that the chairs do open to a chaise and we used them often!

Now to the food: Buffet has such a huge selection that there is something for everyone. I preferred the lunch and dinner buffets, breakfast was OK-omlet station was good. My son loved the Jerk Hut-learned after the first day to go with the not so spicy sauce though. Didn't find their dinner reservation system to be so difficult. Perhaps there is a better way but it is what it is. The woman taking the reservations was rather abrupt - guess she doesn't like her job or is treated badly by guests that don't like this system. We were able to get our second choice at the Steak Restaurant - all three of us enjoyed our meal there.

Yes the entertainment is cheesy but the staff seem to try hard to please and entertain all. Beach party was fun but got bit from mosquitos, sand fleas, etc. Resort sprays daily but you'll be outside and suddenly in a cloud of fog. Perhaps they could advise the time of day for spraying so you could avoid being in that area at that moment?

The beach in Negril is the best, white powdery sand, tranquil water-no need to say more there. Plenty of beach chairs available-shade under trees if wanted. I loved all those butterflies on the beach. Only dipped in pool once-didn't want to leave that beach.

Did a day trip with Alfred's Taxi to the Blue Hole-just about a half hour outside of Negril. Really fun experience with both and will do my separate reviews on them.

This resort is a mix of families, couples and singles. Very quiet here. No night life to speak of except for the shows. There were quite a variety of countries represented here; last week the guests were mainly from Germany and England.

We had previously stayed at a Couples Resort but since we had our son with us this time that was not an option; I would have to say that the guests as well as staff at Couples were friendlier than here-could be the circumstance of being away without the kids!

Overall everything was good-Negril is now my favorite beach; maybe we'll try Seven Mile beach the next time-don't think I could stay on the cliffs though-too afraid of heights and I do love that sand!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank LoriB27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Polish first
anadarko, ok
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Just returned from 4 nights at the Riu Palace. We were pleased overall with the resort. The exceptions: the 2 double beds pushed together to make a "king" were very hard and uncomfortable. Also, the nightly entertainment was a disappointment. We stayed at the Riu in Ocho Rios a few years ago and expected the entertainment to be the same professional level in Negril as in Ocho. We couldn't endure a complete show any night we were there. The service was impecable, however. We had an awesome vacation in spite of those exceptions. We booked a trip to Rick's Cafe with the ScubaCaribe group on the resort. The crew of the catamaran were exceptionally good. Very enjoyable trip. We also booked a trip with JTL to the Black River/Y.S. Falls. The tour guide was also top-notch. Although we had a wonderful time, we'll probably stay in Ocho next time we go.

3 Thank kteacher09
Lewisville
Reviewed 2 July 2010

The first thing you are greeted by is purple. A light purple paint covers every wall of the resort. Enter THE ROOM - greeted by 2 FULL beds pushed together and called a King? Really? The remote for the TV has no batteries in it. Can't figure out how to turn on the lights because there is a master power switch at the front door that no one turned on. There were a ton of fire ants on the counter crawling through all the coffee-ware. There was a really cool contraption above the coffee maker that dispensed Appleton, Gin, Vodka, and something else weird Brandy? And a well stocked fridge. A functioning safe thank goodness because I did my dollar test and the maids took it. (Dollar test: leave a dollar intentionally laying around to see if it disappears. I reward the people who leave it alone. I do not tip the maids that take it.) The room was decent sized with a normal balcony. Nothing that screamed palace here. Just your average room. The beds were HORRIBLE. My husband and I both had to go to the Chiro when we got back. Ow! THE POOL was beautiful and featured a swim up bar. The seats in the pool for the swim up bar were up way too high so very few people stayed at the bar. There were cool little booths all around with tables in the middle and plenty of pool furniture though. Swim up bar closed at 6 p.m. which seemed early since the rain usually keeps you inside until 4ish. THE FOOD - WHY do resorts make you get up at the butt crack of dawn in order to book the restaurants for that evening? We booked The Fusion one night. Main Course was good... That's it. For people who like the hoity toity meals it would be good. We tried to book the Steakhouse but even though we weren't allowed to book days in advance... they were full for the next 2 days? And the restaurants were just "closed" random nights. I prefer the buffet. Lunch always seemed to be the best to me. Breakfast wasn't worth waking up for as there was always the same thing at the Continental that carried over into the lunch unless you have to have eggs. There was a variety of everything. They had theme nights like "Italian" "Mexican" "Jamaican" but when there had been pasta on the menu all week, Italian night didn't seem like much. There was always a guy at the front door with meat of some kind. That's the first place to go. THE SHOWS - They had a Michael Jackson Show - great! A Musical Movie Show - also great! A Ragae Show that was ok.
THE PEOPLE - Unlike the other resort we stayed at (Couples Swept Away) the people were very nice and gracious and thankful for tips. I did not see anyone get snubbed for not tipping but WE did. I'm a firm believer in that. I think a few bucks and consistency of sticking with the same servers goes a long way. Bring BUG SPRAY Visit RICK'S CAFE

2 Thank Tarinnn
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I stayed at the RIU Palace Tropical bay from a Saturday to Friday in June. I had a very nice and relaxing time. The resort is pretty calm. The entertainment team has a few activities going on through the day, but they don't really push anyone into doing anything. The put on decent shows in their theater in the evening, basic dance shows typical of AI resorts, but fun to watch. They also do a few audience participation shows.
The resort itself is very sprawled out, a number of three level buildings surrounding the main building and pool. Expect a few minute walk from your room to just about anything. The main building was very nicely decorated, typical of RIU Palaces. The rooms I thought were a bit smaller than average, but the beds were comfortable, everything was clean, and had all the towels I needed. They also had flat panel TVs in the rooms for those that care about such things on their beach vacation.

The main dinning area had a surprising variety of foods for supper from night to night, each night would have a different menu. First time a came across that. The Jamaican night was particularly good, great jerked meats. Breakfast did get a old towards the end of my stay. But there was always plenty, and never left hungry. For lunch, they have jerk hut that serves jerk chicken, VERY very good. They also set up a small buffet in the steak house. Speaking of the steak house, I ate there twice, good beef, but the side orders are standardized, so I couldn't order a salad without dressing, and I would have preferred a backed potato to fries. I thought that was unfortunate, but I still enjoyed the meal.

When I traveled to Jamaica, I expected to be offered weed a few times, but I was surprised that nearly everyone selling stuff on the beach also tried to sell weed, including the dudes doing water sports stuff. I also got offered right outside the airport. They go along with a simple NO response, but nearly everyone has to ask. No one at the RIU tried to sell weed, but almost everyone else did.

Go to this resort to relax and get some nice beach time and get your drink on, don't expect a lot of activity or much nightime stuff other than the resort bars.

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank jhulsla
High Wycombe
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We spent 2 weeks at the Riu Palace and had the best holiday to date, everything was first class the staff could not have done more for us and the room was wonderful.
Food rearly good and room service second to none.

2 Thank mcahastings
Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We highly recommend. We are members of Riu for over 4 years and we visit every 3 months. We are going again in July 28th for my birthday until Aug. 1st. The staff and the hotel is a 5 star. The staff already know's us and welcome's us with a great smile and by our last name.. The Harrington's. They go out of their way to exceed your expectations. This is paradise. If you have a chance visit the nearby island from the hotel and ask for CHEF.. Great lobsters on the grill "cheap". Tell him " mami and papi" from Miami highly recommended him. We love negril and the hotel.. We visited ta few Riu in Mexico.. We will never go again.. Riu Tropical Bay is our 2nd home and the best vacation you will ever experiance. Great massage's.. Andrew at the pool bar is a great singer and watch out for those welcome drinks......

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I have read many of these reviews and I will point out those things I strongly agree with, disagree with and also those things that make me say duh out loud.

Agree with:
The staff is largely friendly; we were always made to feel welcome.
The food is pretty good. We particularly enjoyed the fusion restaurant. Breakkfast was always enjoyable.
Bring bug spray. Something bit us a lot, not sure if it was mosquitoes but it was bad.
Nightlife is so-so. Take the 5 dollar cab ride to the other Riu and go to Pacha club.
It rains a lot. What can you do, it's hurricane season.
Disagree with:
Everyone pressures you for a tip- Didn't notice attitude towards the patrons who NEVER seemed to tip! I mean I saw tables of 8 people get waiter service who did not leave a thin dime at the table. I think that's bad form.
Watered down drinks. This is an all-inclusive. They will make the drink any way you want it. Is the ice melting to fast? Go to Alaska.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lmntree
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#27 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!