Thanks to Trip Advisor members I knew as much as could be known about this resort before even stepping foot on their property.
Four night visit last week. Young girl at check in was extremely friendly. Had my cheat sheet with various room numbers that I was going to request from reading previous posts here-didn't need it; they upgraded us to an oceanfront room!
Room was exactly what was anticipated. Hubby and I actually loved the firmness of the mattresses that others have complained about. Yes they are two double beds pushed together and called a king size? Housekeeping was quite accomodating and thorough and perhaps the friendliest of all the employees here.
In room refrigerator was great to have. Just left a note requesting what we wanted with a few dollars and items were replenished beyond our expectations.
AC in room shuts off when sliding door is left open. Good energy conservation idea!
Only used room service for breakfast but it was delivered on time and a nice beginning to our day.
Couldn't sit out on balcony during afternoon hours as sun was scorching but did know from previous posts that the chairs do open to a chaise and we used them often!
Now to the food: Buffet has such a huge selection that there is something for everyone. I preferred the lunch and dinner buffets, breakfast was OK-omlet station was good. My son loved the Jerk Hut-learned after the first day to go with the not so spicy sauce though. Didn't find their dinner reservation system to be so difficult. Perhaps there is a better way but it is what it is. The woman taking the reservations was rather abrupt - guess she doesn't like her job or is treated badly by guests that don't like this system. We were able to get our second choice at the Steak Restaurant - all three of us enjoyed our meal there.
Yes the entertainment is cheesy but the staff seem to try hard to please and entertain all. Beach party was fun but got bit from mosquitos, sand fleas, etc. Resort sprays daily but you'll be outside and suddenly in a cloud of fog. Perhaps they could advise the time of day for spraying so you could avoid being in that area at that moment?
The beach in Negril is the best, white powdery sand, tranquil water-no need to say more there. Plenty of beach chairs available-shade under trees if wanted. I loved all those butterflies on the beach. Only dipped in pool once-didn't want to leave that beach.
Did a day trip with Alfred's Taxi to the Blue Hole-just about a half hour outside of Negril. Really fun experience with both and will do my separate reviews on them.
This resort is a mix of families, couples and singles. Very quiet here. No night life to speak of except for the shows. There were quite a variety of countries represented here; last week the guests were mainly from Germany and England.
We had previously stayed at a Couples Resort but since we had our son with us this time that was not an option; I would have to say that the guests as well as staff at Couples were friendlier than here-could be the circumstance of being away without the kids!
Overall everything was good-Negril is now my favorite beach; maybe we'll try Seven Mile beach the next time-don't think I could stay on the cliffs though-too afraid of heights and I do love that sand!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Ebookers, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica