“Dont throw up after a boat cruise in their bathroom and use their towels to clean up”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2010

charged 100.00 us dollars cause they said they have to send out the towels to get cleanned could of just thrown them outside the room and had to much class to do that. Was sleeping and 8:30 am the phones rings and they said that I had to come to the from desk to pay for them cleanning my mess. Rooms smell like mildew and if you leave the screen door open the air turns off. Biggest roaches I ever seen and saw one crawing on the wall in the Italian restaurant. The Entertainment was quite entertaining and hope you dont mind them spraying the beach for masquitos while you are sitting on the louge chairs.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tail123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,271)
  • Polish first
Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We planned our destination wedding a year in advance and invited approximately 100 guests to join us in Negril Jamaica. Thirty seven friends and family actually attended our weekend wedding at the Riu Tropical Bay on the Bloody Bay in Negril Jamaica.
I will first discuss the wedding planner; Anne Marie and the staff at the resort. My twin sister was married three years ago at Sandals in Negril and so we decided to do the same but changed the resort. I was not as impressed with the wedding package at Riu as I was with Sandals. My sister was treated like a queen and the wedding planner did EVERYTHING in her power to ensure a great wedding. Anne Marie was extremely busy she was interrupted about 10 times with phone calls when we had the opportunity to sit and talk. I was off on the number of people attending by about 5 and I had to sign a paper stating that whatever I said WENT! I didn't have my travel agent and wedding planner with me for the meeting so I was a little off and she had to move chairs and tables to accomodate all of the guests at the reception. The chairs were not decorated for the wedding and we did not get a T-Shirt. Although these minor details occurred, the wedding was beautiful. It was hard to get in touch with Anne Marie as she was so busy. Now to the arrival at the airport. When we arrived at the airport there is a place where Sandals guests can sit and relax and have drinks and the Riu does not have this. We had to get a transfer and the guy was real cool but it was crowded. We were offerred drugs and alcohol on our way to the vehicle transfer and the people of Jamaica are waiting for Americans to arrive so that they can make a buck. We stopped at a restaurant on the way to the resort for it is about an hour ride. They are doing a lot of work on the roads and they have greatly improved from when I was there three years ago. Now to the accomodations! When we arrived our room was ready but it was POURING RAIN!! The men did not want to take our bags to the room in the rain so they sat there until it stopped. We went to get something to eat but when you arrive around 3:00 you have little to choose from and after the food sits out for awhile it does not look appetizing. The bugs are terrible. June is not a good time to go to Negril, Jamaica, there was a lot of rain while we were there. We stayed 10 days and that was too long. The mosquitos ate us up although my husband did not get bit once.
Our room was great, we brought candles and room deodorizers because we read on here that the rooms are musty, which they are. We had a King size bed and it was comfortable and the room was spacious. We had an OCEAN VIEW, although it was far back from the water. The balcony was nice and the chairs were also nice. It is very humid and sticky so it was hard to get our towels and bathing suits dry when they were wet. Room service was the worst. The food they serve for room service is not good at all and the people who bring the food are not very nice. Many people are looking for tips and when they see you do not tip they are not as gracious.
The wedding ceremony was beautiful and the pictures were even better. The picture people here are not as good as Sandals. They try to rip you off, my sister got a CD with about 50 pictures from the wedding and they charged her 250 dollars. We paid 900 dollars for a wedding CD, slide show, and video and we did not get the slide show. The guys who take pictures are great. They will take a picture during the sunset and they are very accomodating.
The food was good, they have a lot to choose from on the buffet but the best food is the jerk chicken at 12:00 everyday on the beach. The chicken with two choices of spicy or mild sauce is excellent and you also get rice or cabbage also. The buffet is good but you have to get there early before it sits out too long. The drinks are always coming. They offer drinks at all times of the day and night and we had drinks in our room. They did not have enough Sprite and if you didn't tip the guys they did not ensure you had Sprite. We do not drink dark sodas so we didn't want the Coke, which they had plenty of. The bottled water was good and we also used the bottled water to brush our teeth. Some of our guests were ill during their stay and we think it is due to the water. We tried not to drink any water that was not bottled. The bottles are big so that was great!
Overall the hotel was nice and the people were accomodating. We had to ask for washcloths for two days but we finally got some and didn't have to ask anymore. The gift shops are expensive so we walked down the beach for towels, etc. from the vendors who work along the beach. We walked down to the Riu Clubhotel, we had access to this resort but they do not have access to our resort. There are alot of Jamaicans along the way who will offer you marijuana but when you tell them no they leave you alone.
ScubaCaribe is the water sports people. As soon as we arrived they signed our wedding party up for a boat trip to Rick's Cafe. I highly recommend this trip WHEN THE WEATHER IS COOPERATING!!!! We got on the boat with another wedding party and they transferred us from a smaller boat. The weather was beautiful, then when we got on the boat and started on our trip, the lightning and thunder came. I was scared and then it was not so enjoyable to me but everyone else was good. We really should not have been out there I was told by one of the boat guys. We went snorkeling (I did not I took pictures) but my husband and some others did and they had a ball. They saw all kinds of fish, take some bread and you will see more fish. When we arrived at Rick's Cafe the boat was rocking and the smell of gas made me ILL!! Only about 10 of us felt like this so we chose to take a taxi back to the resort (10.00 each). Rick's Cafe does not have good food so you should eat first. Rick's did not have the band playing because of the rain. There is no food on the boat and Rick's does not have American money so if you spend money there you get Jamaican money back. The drinks are always flowing on the boat but they are very concerned with safety. There was a small baby on the boat ride which I would not have done but the parents of the baby toook her out snorkeling and seemed to have a great time. The boat ride home was beautiful and dolphins were jumping up out of the water. I should have stayed but felt too sick from the boat rocking and the smell of gas. Everyone really had a great time overall and I would recommend this trip when the WEATHER IS COOPERATING! Other activities were jet skiing which was expensive and the sailing. We were able to get a sailing lesson and then take the sailboat out free after that. We highly recommend the massage on the beach; 40 minutes for 40 dollars. It was heavenly.
The Renova Spa is not that great for make-up. The wedding hair-do was not what I expected so I did my own hair. Do not book anything online first wait until you get there. You cannot cancel and anything you write in an email to them does not stand so wait until you arrive to decide on hair and make-up. It is too expensive to pay for and then end up not liking it. Go to the spa when you arrive and look at how they do hair to decide. My bridemaids had their hair done and it was beautiful but she had long hair. They use Revlon and Maybelline make-up and some of us can do a better job than them. It is not like a normal spa treatment. Take lots of bug spray. The entertainment is not that great, except for the reggae band. The aerobics at 10:00 was OK and the restaurants were good. You have to wait in line at 8 am to get reservations at the restaurants and the Japanese Steakhouse was the best.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank redstripeluver
Saskatoon
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This resort is beautiful, the most important things to us (when we travel) are the beach and the food. Bloody Bay is the most amazing beach that I have ever seen...(better beach than Puerto Plata and Puerto Vallarta). The food was varied and always fresh...the steak house was awesome!!
We were there to get married and our wedding went off without a hitch! Anne-Marie was prompt and pleasant, our wedding only required a 15 minute meeting with her once we had arrived...very low-maintenance!
Our pictures turned out beautiful, I can't remember the names of the resort photographers but they were fun and very efficient.
In fact, all of the staff that we dealt with were wonderful, friendly, singing etc
We wouldn't change a thing!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SarahRT
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My husband and I are frequent travelers and have stayed at the Riu Palace resorts several times (aruba, mexico and punta cana). This was our second time to Jamaica first time at Riu Palace Tropical Bay. No complaints, the beach is beautiful, the rooms were fine, plenty to choose from the buffets. We have eaten at all the sit down restaurants if you are fusy the buffets offer a variety of foods. The people were very nice.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crod1984
MA
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Absolutely beautiful beach with plenty of lounge chairs. The rooms were clean and beautiful. HOWEVER, the room we were in must have been a smoking room and everytime we entered it, you could smell the musty, cigarette smell. All our luggage had to be aired out, and clothing that came back clean and unworn still had to be washed because it smelled so bad. We were travelling for a wedding and had requested a room next to my parents so they could help with the kids, so changing rooms didn't work out. Service was very good, but they do move at an entirely different pace. The crib we had asked for in advance wasn't in our room, and it took three calls to front desk and about 2 1/2 hours to get it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank momo4Ma
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and I have been to many resorts in Mexico and Dominican but have never stayed at a Riu. Glad to hear that this is not the typicle Riu. Resort was nice, the rooms were a little small but ours had a beautiful view. The workers at this resort were pretty lazy and didn't care too much about keeping the place clean or being very helpful or pleasant to guests. Trust me, we are not picky people and for the most part do not want to be bothered when we are on vacation, but the service in this place was horrible! And I wouldn't waste my time making reservations at the restaurants - not very good. The buffett is great and has something for everyone. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be returning to Jamaica, from what I understand it doesn't really matter what resort you go to, the people working in them are not very friendly.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie50207
Reviewed 8 July 2010

So basically i went down with my husband and 20 other family members for our wedding.

The resort was beautiful, the beach was amazing, the food was great and the entertainment was good, it was between 9 and 11 every night and it was something different every night. I would say it was a little boring for the younger crowd for the most part but good for the older crowd. Our biggest complaint has to do with the restaurants/ reserving for the restaurants.
But dont get me wrong, the FOOD was amazing (Except for room service food -- it sucks, pre-made sandwitches, nachos,and not so good fruit platters... but you get the food fast )

So here's how it worked with the restaurants.... You only had one chance every other day to book for the next 2 days. You had to be there between 8 and 9 am, but if you were there later than like 750 you were waiting in line for like 30 minutes. We had alot of problems with the restaurant staff giving us a lot of slack... things like refusing to serve us if we had 1 extra person even if there were extra seats.

If you don't book properly there a$$es to you, i couldn't believe it.
The only other way you can get into a restaurant if you forget to book is to stand there and wait until everyone's seated and if someone by chance doesn't show up for their dinner you can sit down, if god forbid you are there 1 minute past 7 or 9 (that's when the seating are) they wont serve you.

In conclusion, like i said before... the resort is beautiful, the entertainment was good (no nightlife tho after evening entertainment) food was really good but getting into the restaurant was an absolute nightmare.

hope this helps!

• Stayed May 2010
3 Thank Married_Woman2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!