“Outstanding Vacation”

Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Fort Worth, Texas
“Outstanding Vacation”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Piu Palace Tropical Bay was outstanding. For the price, it's unbeatable.

Room: We paid for garden view, and were upgraded to ocean view upon arrival. The room was clean and the AC worked great. Housekeeping was very thorough every day. The only drawback is the king bed is really two fulls pushed together.

Food: Every meal was outstanding. We did not bother with the specialty restaurants, as the buffet had a wide and different selection every night. Same at breakfast. If you go, ask to sit in Chad's section, he was great. For lunch, get the jerk chicken on the beach.

Pool: We spent little time at the pool, but it was usually full of people having fun.

Beach: This is why we choose Riu Tropical Bay. It has the best beach we've ever seen. Better than Cancun, Playa, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, etc., and those are all outstanding beaches. The water and sand are perfect, the beach is quiet, and there was never a time we had to look for a good spot. Plenty of shade and loungers.

Service: Everyone I dealt with was courteous and helpful, especially Cloyd at the front desk.

Grounds: We walked the entire beach, and saw Couples, Breezes, and Riu Negril. Riu Tropical Bay has by far the best kept grounds. Beautiful.

If you want a low key beach resort, this is a winner!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kern C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,313)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

stayed at this hotel from 22 June till 6 july 2010. First impression of the hotel as you walk into the lobby was beautiful. Check-in is swift and the bell boys take your luggage to your room fairly quickly. Roomsnot bad very clean but old fashion look. There are no lifts so if you dont like climbling flights of stairs ask for the ground floor. The staff are really quite friendly, although i found the younger female staff tend to look you up and down, could feel quite intimidating, the entertainment some nights fairly good I think the best evenings are when the reggae band are playing as people tend to get up and dance. The food for me wasn't all that I went to Jamaica as I like Jamaican cuisine, not much on offer in that department, there is a jerk hut on the beach that serves chicken, pork etc., there are lots of other choices, pizzas, chips burgers Chefs special which could be anything really, but that was the only downside of the holiday the food. Plenty to drink, fridge stocked everyday with water and soft drinks and optics with rum, brandy vodka etc., good place for the drinkers. The beach is lovely sea warm , calm and clear, watersports right there. We went parasailing fantastic experience. Overall pleasant holiday, would go back to Negril lovely part of the island, you dont get much hassle at all, but not sure if i would stay at the Riu. Personally i think it caters for the Americans where food is concerned.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank theresa2550
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2010

The food is horrible not worth it. I stayed at the Riu in Mexico and the food was awesome. Even the specialty restaurants are horrible we finally had to go to Ricks for a good meal. I'm not a picky eater and picked the Riu because of my awesome experience in Mexico but this was not worth the money. I paid for an ocean front and was put on the third floor and couldn't see the ocean because of the trees. Maybe a first floor ocean front room is worth the money so be sure you request the first floor!!! The people were awesome at the hotel and were lots of fun but don't expect luxury it's not!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
sandiego
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Expected better service and food. Lots of staff, but not all that friendly or efficient. The gym is terrible-hot hot hot!!! Beach is lovely. Entertainment -corny like a Carnival cruise on land. Clean. Front desk staff unhelpful and rude. Food very mediocre. Good value for money. Wine bad, coffee -awful. Save your money and go to Hawaii.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sandieog
Pittsfield, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Traveled with Apple Vacations. Would go again, as soon as possible. It was easy to schedule all activities on site, agents were available every or every other day. All thing to do through apple vacations were worth of the money we spent. Lounging around hotel and free drinks were also great, hotel had pool entertainers every day and also beach activities. We took all the kids with us, 9, 4, 1yr old, no problem at all. Enjoy!

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tajamt
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2010

100% Honest Review: I enjoyed my stay at the RIU Palace in Negril sooooooo much. I'm a very picky traveler and want nothing but the best, so I'm giving it to you straight. For the cost, this place is an excellent choice. Is it a 5 star resort? Maybe not, but definitely 4 stars. What definitely IS 5 stars about this resort is THE BEACH. I have never seen beach water so crystal blue clear in my life, and I've been to many places in the Carribean. No seaweed...no trash. Just clear warm water with beautiful tropical fish. I could look to the bottom and see the color polish on my toenails. We stayed in the beach water literally 5-6 hours each day we were there. The jerk chicken hut on the beach is by far the BEST food on the resort--hands down. We camped out daily near that hut and waited for the food to be prepared. The restaurants on the resort were good...not great. Honestly, outside of the jerk chicken hut on the beach, the buffet restaurant really did have the best food and the most variety. We made reservations at Krystal and the Japanese restaurants and ate at both places, but the food was just okay. Go to the buffet--no reservations needed and you don't have to dress-up. Entertainment was ok--not great, but we weren't there for entertainment, so that was fine for me. Pools were very nice. The staff all throughout the resort were EXCELLENT. The MASSAGE THERAPISTS in their SPA are MAGNIFICENT. You must treat yourself to a full body massage. I became addicted and went 3 times over a course of 5 days. Night life off the property is not something I can comment about because we didn't leave the property at night. We did take a taxi to Rick's Cafe one day, and my husband dived off of one of the cliffs. It was fun watching him and others dive, but other than that, I didn't really see the big deal about Rick's Cafe. The "dirty banana" was the best drink I had at the resort--so, so, so good. Now...be prepared to get attacked by mosquitos in your room. That would be my only complaint. But I was not angry about it because what else can a person expect when you are on an island near water in the heat?? Even with mosquito repellant, my husband and I got bitten pretty badly because it's impossible to keep mosquitos from entering into your room. I hated falling asleep at night with mosquitos buzzing around my ear. Overall, staying at the RIU Palace in Negril was one of my very best vacations ever. I am ready to go back! Oh...my husband jet skiied daily but he didn't book it through the resort--too expensive. Just walk down on the beach and you will get much better deals on water sports. Jamaicans will offer you lots of other stuff too, but they are not as pushy as what I experienced in Mexico. Once you tell them "no", they will leave you alone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tnn1970
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2010

charged 100.00 us dollars cause they said they have to send out the towels to get cleanned could of just thrown them outside the room and had to much class to do that. Was sleeping and 8:30 am the phones rings and they said that I had to come to the from desk to pay for them cleanning my mess. Rooms smell like mildew and if you leave the screen door open the air turns off. Biggest roaches I ever seen and saw one crawing on the wall in the Italian restaurant. The Entertainment was quite entertaining and hope you dont mind them spraying the beach for masquitos while you are sitting on the louge chairs.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tail123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!