“We stayed during oct myself & my husband...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Negril
“We stayed during oct myself & my husband...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stayed during oct myself & my husband were on our honeymoon. The hotel itself during this period was very quiet so there was plenty of loungers on the beach & by the pool, I think that during peak season u might struggle as the pools r small for such a big hotel and there is not that many loungers or umbrellas. The beach was a major disappointment to no fault of the hotel as we arrived just after the storms and it had really taken a beating, however everyday they had Many workers trying to fix the problems that the storm had caused. The rooms were huge & spotlessly clean, yes the beds are hard but me & my husband prefered the firmer mattress. The food was plentiful & there was always lots of choice during each meal, we did try the two of the four restutants during our visit fushion was a big let down for us & left very disappointed. The italian was very nice & me & my husband really enjoyed our meals. The staff are lovely they can't do enough for you & i never got the impression or felt that I had to be constantly tipping them they work really hard thoughout the day & night to provide u with a excellant service. The spa was excellant myself & my husband spent a few hours there having various treatments so anyone who likes to be pampered it is a must. We really enjoyed our stay in general the only really thing that was rather disappointing was as we were on our honeymoon we decided to upgrade to a master suite however we got told that this would cost us $1400 extra which I thought was really steep & unreasonable so we declined. I have read lots of the negitive reviews but I couldn't really find all these faults yes it wasn't prefect but what is, we had excellant company, sun, cocktails & a jamican smile each day what more can you ask for.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank Cherry1977

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Polish first
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We went to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and it was just what we had hoped for. Elegant and romantic. The hotel facilities were spotless; the rooms well appointed and the grounds looked beautiful. Our Junior Suite gave us the space we needed and the bed was VERY comfortable. The pools were great but for us the beach was the BEST part of the trip. Clean powder white sand , shallow so safe for kids and warm! Early morning swims in the glass like waters was amazing.

The staff made an effort to connect with the guests and offered personal and attentive service at all times. We really felt that our business was appreciated and that each person did what they could to be sure we came back again. Nightly evening entertainment performed by a talented troupe nightly. The evening "participation" events got a bit tiresome after a few days.
As it was low season, we could get beach or pool chairs easily and food service was fast. The buffet (breakfast and dinner) had excellent choices, regardless of your preference. Lots of fresh fruit and salads, international cuisine as well as authentic Jamaican dishes at every meal. The jerk hut offered freshly BBQ chicken - not authentic "jerk" but very flavorful. It would have been nice if they offered more meat choices eg pork or beef along with chicken. We ate at two of the four a la carte restaurants. ( The fusion restaurant was disappointing; steak house was very good).

I strongly recommend you take advantage of the SPA - I had a coffee exfoliation treatment performed by Dwight Smith who was excellent. I glowed for a week! Another treat - If you take a walk down the beach, just past the water sports area and there is a fisherman who brings in his daily catch and cooks the fresh fish and lobster on coals. YUM!!!

You have to pay to use their Internet cafe and service was not available all the time. Others who had their laptops + WiFI seemed happy.

We had a wonderful holiday and look forward to the opportunity to return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank H_of_Ajax
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We just got back from staying at the RIU Tropical Palace for 8 nights. The resort was beautiful, very clean and a good size too (not too big or too small).

The beach was amazing and is far better than the beach at the other RIU (RIU Negril) which is also on Bloody Bay. We checked out the other resort and were so happy that we chose the Tropical Palace over that one.

We had an Oceanfront Suite and it was amazing, although, I did find that the beds were quite hard (but I'm used to sleeping on a Tempurpedic mattress at home).

The food at the main buffet was very good and they had a different theme each night which was great. We ate at all of the A La Carte restaurants and I'd have to say that the fusion one was the best so we ate there twice. The steak house was OK and the Italian was OK too but not nearly as good as the fusion one. The sushi restaurant was not great but that's because we're used to eating extremely good/authentic sushi here in Toronto. The room service menu was limited and could use more variety but I guess that's what the buffet is for. Overall, I'd have to say the food was superior to other all-inclusive resorts I've been to.

**As a side note - we went to Hedonism II one night just to check it out and the food there was VERY DISAPPOINTING! The whole place is old and needs a renovation in my opinion. The entertainment was really bad and there are a lot of strange characters wandering around by themselves.......so creepy!! I have no idea how much people pay to stay there but I'd rate it a 3 star compared to the RIU. .....and yes, I do realize that people go there for something other than the food and surroundings!

The only thing I'd suggest that the RIU could improve upon is the daytime entertainment aspect. More variety of games and activities would be good. I was disappointed that there weren't any Yoga, Pilates or dance classes. Yes....they do have beach volleyball and polo in the pool but not everyone plays those games. It also would be an improvement if they had windsurfing and paddle boarding as we went either sailing or kyaking everyday and wanted to change it up a bit.

Another good thing about this resort is that they offer premium brands of alcohol as opposed to other resorts where you're drinking some no-name brand of alcohol.

Overall, we had a great time and we were happy that we booked at the RIU Tropical Palace! The staff at the hotel were always friendly and helpful and we would definitely go back there!!

7 Thank MsSassy1
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

Having visited the RPTB before I new what to expect and therefore I did not take any notice of the negative remarks made on other reviews. As always check in was easy and we were greeted will the usual very worm welcome from the staff, the room was perfect in every way possible, mini bar was always well stocked, had a minor problem with the TV and as with every thing if you ask in a polite manor the problem is quickly resolved. Having stayed at other Riu Palace’s it is true to say that the RPTB does not have the same palatial décor however this is more than made up by the staff. The staff at the RPTB are just about the best you could ever wish to meet, nothing is too much trouble and you are always greeted with a big smile ( we could all learn a lesson from the staff) I have read many reviews and it seems to me that some people just want a good moan. During my stay a spoke to many other guests many of which were from the UK (great people) and did not hear a bad word spoken about the food, staff or anything connected with the hotel. My advice is check it out for yourself as all the negative comments are made by sad people who need to get a life as this hotel is just about the best around.

5 Thank smitchyb0y
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

My friend and I decided to stay at this hotel for a nice getaway. I will start off by saying, it was a relaxing getaway. But, we were literally the only single people on the resort. At the pool bar, none of the young couples around our age (30's) would go near us or talk to us. The bartender toasted anniversary's and honeymooners, it was really awkward and uncomfortable for us. Other than feeling like a leper, because I am single, it was an ok trip. The hotel room was always clean and the mini-bar was always stocked. One thing that I wish I knew my first day was that you had to be up by 7am to make reservations for the restaurants. The main dining area (inside) was fine and had different options of food. But, the outdoor buffet open for lunch was disgusting. The whole area was infested with black birds that flew right into the food and starting pecking at it. Then, they sit next to you at your table waiting for you to put your fork down! That for me was definitely the worst part. The staff were super nice and friendly. The bartenders made good drinks and had great personalities. I also enjoyed taking advantage of the 24hr room service! The club sandwiches were very yummy! The beach was nice, but, every 10minutes, I was getting harassed either by homeless people or people wanting to book excursions. Overall, Id say, stay off the beach unlw\ess you want to get harassed, stay indoors, and DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT IF YOU ARE SINGLE AND WANT TO MINGLE!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank janab247
Middlewich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

My husband and I have just returned from the Riu Palace Tropical Bay, we went with Thomson's and stayed from the 12th - 26th September to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.
Last year we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay and for us everything was better there than it was at the Riu hotel, from the moment you stepped into reception it oozed sophistication and elegance and also the location was beautiful which the Riu lacked.
Check in at the Riu was swift and we were welcomed with an ice cold drink but there was no wow factor when you walked into reception or onto our room, unlike our first impression at the GBP.
The room was very similar to the GBP layout, and it was kept spotless by housekeeping for the two weeks we were there.
The sea was lovely, warm and clean and we regularly saw fish swimming, but the beach for us was very dissapointing, there were biting ants everywhere. The beach at GBP is far nicer.
Thelbert our waiter in the evenings was absolutely brilliant, what a nice guy. The food is bland but there was always something to eat but once again, choice and variety was far greater at the GBP.
The Jamaicans are really lovely people, treat them how you like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong, most of the staff at the Riu were very nice and very helpful, as are the guys walking up and down on the beach.
We've had a nice holiday but we wont be returning to the Riu. I think we were spoilt last year, for us the Gran Bahia Principe excelled itself in every aspect of having a great holiday.

4 Thank JudithPS
Gwynn Oak
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Went to this resort with 5 other couples. Traditional tourist trap with litlle cultural exploration if you like that kind of thing. The entertainment was Americanized but good. The food was bland. There were few wait staff providing drinks. The food at the various restaurants was bland (the buffet was excessive yet insignificant) and the wait staff were rushing our huge party on both evenings--even when we celebrated one of our friends birthday. Someone asked us to keep it down prior to starting dinner as we were having too good a time. We had to pay for watersports. We scuba dive and had to pay for this service as well. As a comparision, last year we stayed at Beaches Sandy Bay with Exchange privileges at Beaches Negril. We found Sandy Bay to be an intimate setting and lots more and better entertainment at Beaches Negril so we had the best of both worlds. And the food was fabulous at Beaches. Also, all the watersports was included at Beaches so we didn't have to pay for sailing lessons or waterskiing lessons, etc . . . It was still fun and beautiful. The bartenders were fabulous. We did take a catamaran trip with the dive shop that ended at Ricks Cafe and it was fabulous and the highlight of our trip.

• 2 of 5 bubbles