“Very quaint & quiet”

Ranked #36 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Stoughton, Wisconsin
“Very quaint & quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We really enjoyed staying here. Very laid back. It is not a swank resort with all the frills, but that is why we chose it. Has a small fridge & cofee maker. Beautiful pool. The night security guy was very cool.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margo m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Pottstown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

No problem here, mon. Catcha Falling Star Gardens is quiet, lovely, peaceful and a good base to explore the upper west end of Negril. After eight days in residence, we found ourselves almost like family with the Catcha guests and the personnel across the street at LTU Pub. Dare I say, almost like Cheers.
The traffic on West End Road (aka One Love Drive) certainly drops off at the upper end. Our room Ginger Lily upstairs was right next to the road but somehow the street noise was no problem. We slept well every night and it enabled us to catch the ocean breezes during the day. Our wraparound porch was a great vantage point not only for us but for Pumpkin and Belle, the two adorable but attentive guard dogs on site. Another advantage was it enabled us to play the music we brought along without bothering the other guests. We also gained great incite to the operations of LTU Pub - a real interesting sideshow.
The pool at the rear of the property is a gem. I enjoyed doing my stretches and exercise each morning to the chirping of the active bird life in Negril. I understand the pool has a waterfall but for some reason it was not operating while we were there - it definitely would have added a more meditative atmosphere. I would have spent more time at the pool but some of the other guests laid claim to it in the afternoon with classic rock playing on their stereo. I'm not a real fan of classic rock in Jamaica.
The garden is well kept by Wayne who is perpetual motion during the day. Marshall keeps the place secure at night and Belle and Pumpkin were always on the case. My advice, bring doggie treats.
I love swimming in the Caribbean and I had read there was access to the cliffs at LTU. Unfortunately, they had pulled up their ladder (I think rust had taken its toll) so getting to the cliffs was a bit of a challenge. Our neighbors at Villa Sur Mer next door were kind enough to let me use their jump off one day - lovely property there by the way. The best swimming hole in Negril,
Xtabi, became my site of choice. We stayed there last year and they have a large area for sunning and swimming plus outstanding food and a great bar. I highly recommend a visit there, even if only for dinner and a great view of the sunset.
The strategic advantages of Catcha Gardens? LTU Pub next door has a great breakfast and dinner menu - friendly people, too. They received a bad rap from some reviewers about slow service. Not while we were there. Everyone was on top of their game and it was fascinating to watch how they run their business. The produce van stops by Monday and Friday so we saw how meticulously they purchase their fruits and vegetables.
Just Natural is a nice morning walk up past the Negril Lighthouse past Out of Town Pastry to Hylton Drive. One will never forget a visit to this little fantasy land. Food is always great. Murphy's is just past the Lighthouse and also highly recommended. Abie's Burgers and Tensing Pen is 200 yards down the road and Hungry Lion is just a little bit of an extra walk from there. Weiss Market is right around the corner to stock the nice little refrigerator Catcha provides in the room.
We also need to give a shout out to Veronica who might be the best housekeeper we've ever met in Jamaica. The bathroom does not have a lot of counter space and we inadvertently created a huge mess one day (see photos). She came to the rescue and left us breathless how tidy everything had become. She is a real sweet person.
Jane and Nadine at the front desk are real steady and kind. Catcha is a special place. Like I said, no problems here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bearlee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a great hotel on the west end. Right across the street from the LTU pub (great food!). Has a pool and locked gate. The rooms are large and clean. No AC though, so beware if you need it. We didn't, the breeze was great. Free in-room wifi, and great patios. We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kloscheider
CatchaGardens, General Manager at Catcha Falling Star Gardens, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about our property and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We would just like to mention that we do have air conditioned rooms as well as fan rooms, it just depends on people's preferences as to whether they prefer air conditioning or fans.
Once again, thank you for posting your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I just returned from a week stay at CFSG, and loved it. It is so peaceful, quiet, and laid back, with a great staff-everyone is so friendly and accommodating. The pool is fantastic, with several comfortable lounge chairs-some in the sun, and others in the shade. I had been working myself to the bone before this trip, and I completely chilled, relaxed, and napped several times without disturbance in that peaceful setting by the pool. The sound of the cascading waterfall only enhanced my relaxation. I met several other guests (including one from my hometown-small world!), and all seemed to really enjoy the place. My room was Ginger Lilly, which was right in front of the property by the road, yet the road noise was not noticeable at all. The gardener, Wayne, is the hardest worker in Negril, and an awesome dude. We spoke several times, and became friends in the short time I was there. On the morning I left, he came to my room, shook my hand, and hugged me good-bye (and some people wonder why I love Jamaica so much!). Marshall will keep you safe at night, and he is also a super nice guy. I really can't say enough good things about the place, but I do have ONE little complaint...the property is directly across from LTU Pub, and there are a few locals that will literally watch you, and wait for you to leave LTU and walk across the street back to your room, mostly around sunset time. In those few steps, I was hounded for money every day, and it began to get old. And they are very persistent-I was literally unlocking the gate with a man nearly begging me for money as I stepped inside the property, after I had told him NO the entire way. Having been to Negril many times, I'm used to some of that, but I can see how that would turn off some people, and make them not want to stay there again. I mentioned this to Marshall one time, and he assured me that he would take care of the problem, but it happened again the next day, as these people know exactly what time Marshall starts his shift, and they will hound you before he clocks in. I also mentioned it to management when I checked out, and they assured me that they were aware of the issue, and are working on a solution. As stated earlier, I would not hesitate to stay here again, as it is a lovely little gem in the cliffs, with wonderful people, and a cool vibe, and such a relaxing atmosphere. Thanks to Jane and all the staff for a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with AC-I visited a guest's room during the day with no AC, and it was...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank HoosierHick12863
CatchaGardens, General Manager at Catcha Falling Star Gardens, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your review about your stay at our property. We are so glad that you had such a relaxing time with us.
We are very sorry that you experienced problems being hassled when leaving LTU Pub.
We have been in discussions with the owner of LTU Pub and have voiced concerns about the problems that you experienced. We want our guests to feel comfortable at all times.
Between both properties, Catcha Falling Star Gardens and LTU Pub we have come up with a solution to this annoying problem.
Security has been hired to stop people from coming to LTU Pub to hassle guests both inside the property and also when entering or leaving the property to go back across the road.
We think that this is a good solution for all of our guests and look forward to your next stay with us.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This location is just south of Rick's Cafe and not to be confused with the ocean facing Catcha Falling Star Resort just north of Rick's Cafe. It is located across the street from LTU Pub and is a serene almost zen like hotel with a laid back attitude. The owner Jane was super friendly and accompanied by her two dogs Belle and Pumpkin (pumpkin actually stayed in our room in the afternoons she's super chill). The service was good and the room was as expected. I think all of the rooms have an outside balcony with a hammock if you're into lounging about. Furthermore, Wifi was available at no extra cost which we are utilizing to write this review. The location has a less "resort-like" feel to it and encompasses a more laid back Jamaican vibe. The areas were clean with well-manicured gardens which create a peaceful environment after a day out in Negril. For the budget traveler, i highly recommend this location which had a no-pressure environment. The lack of "resort" frivolities (massage, room service, and other junk) makes a peaceful home away from home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles P
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is my second stay at CFSG. Absolutely love this place. Stayed in the 2 bedroom Bella Villa from Jan 6th thru Jan 14th. A/C in both rooms, lots of hot water, cable tv and a wonderful view of the gardens from my balcony. Love the peace and quiet. Housekeeper Loretta took good care of keeping my room clean. Shared many wonderful lunches with her during my stay. The rest of the staff are also very pleasant. The property and gardens are well maintained. Guard dogs Belle and Pumpkin are friendly and keep the place protected when the sun goes down. CFSG is walking distance to good inexpensive food (Mango Tree Restaurant), grocery stores and jamaican shopping (Mr. Fix It). I took the taxi to Sips and Bites Restaurant on several occasions as well as downtown to the Devon House for cake and ice cream. Taxi rides are 150j. I walked to the Light House Park and Out of Town Pastries many evenings without any incidents with passing taxis on the road. The man selling hot roasted peanuts comes by in the evenings and the Coco bread lady comes by in the mornings. Again, I highly recommend CFSG!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Swayvon
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Not real fancy buy nice folks and clean digs. We had a hoot at Rick's and the LTU bar was a nice hang out. Do dine at sister property at sunset,, Catcha Falling Star, was a 2nd honeymoon. We used Byron a private driver available at LTU across the street to go to Seven Mile beach and have our beach walks and afternoon lunches on the water.

Room Tip: If the heat bothers you get a room on 2nd floor or with A/C
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple