“Jamaica anniversary vacation”

Ranked #36 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Wilson, North Carolina
“Jamaica anniversary vacation”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We checked the web for comments about places to stay. We settled on Catcha Falling Star Gardens because we like the idea of a garden type environment and it was very nice, we even saw a humming bird, the nation's bird. It was very lay back and quiet which we enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There were times we felt like we were the only residents there. It is an easy walk to the lighthouse, Rick's Cafe, Catch a Falling Star (sister resort) and a local grocery store. We ate at Catch a Falling Star, LTU Pub, Rick's Cafe and enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
We highly recommend it if you a re looking for a relaxing lay back resort. BTW the cliffs on the west end of Negril are spectacular - OMG. My thanks to all the staff

Room Tip: select one with air, sometimes it is a bit humid
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Central Ohio
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I just returned from 4 nights at Catcha Gardens. I had Fern, downstairs near the pool, a room I booked on a summer special that offered rooms with fans only, no AC (there ARE rooms with AC but they cost more and IMO AC is not necessary in spring). I came with a larger group taking 4-5 rooms in all.

Let me say that this stay was even better than my last one in 2010. From my arrival and service at the front desk (Shereece? Darn I forget!) to Wayne the amazing groundskeeper to the nighttime security (Marshall, mainly), to Lorette who cleaned my room, the staff was absolutely top notch.

Shereece was there for any need and always with a huge smile. Wayne not only offered a pool towel when I went in the pool, but climbed a tree to get us Jamaican apples, presented me with a thoughtful gift of flowers on my birthday, and was just always around to help with anything. Lorette is sweet and kind and not only cleans the room but puts out little towel hearts with flowers ever day. Marshall made us feel super safe at night and sat with us and chatted a few times, and was always good for grabbing us a taxi late if we needed it. This tops service I've had at much, much more expensive hotels. So big up yourselves CFSG, you are awesome :)

My room was comfy. Large, two beds, mosquito nets (did not use), ceiling fan and stand fan, sitting area with TV (did not use), clean bathroom with hot water and great water pressure, large verandah with hammock, table, chairs. Cold fridge that does not cost extra, safe that does not cost extra, wi-fi that does not cost extra. You are not going to be nickel and dimed here for that as some other hotels do.

We spent a lot of time at and in the pool. The pool is thoughtfully designed with a free form shape, steps in, a table and chairs submerged in the water, a "cave" with waterfall and underwater chaise lounge, plenty of loungers and tables and chairs set in sun and shade, and a library with couches and tables where we set up most days. I like to run around Jamaica a bit when I am there but I spent a LOT of time laying around and in that pool because it was so nice. Perfect temperature, clean, refreshing. Met some of my fellow guests there and everyone was fun and cool which is, IMO, a feature of somewhat less expensive cliff hotels.

Guests are given a room key and a gate key and the gate is kept locked. Between that and the safe and the excellent security, I felt 100% secure staying there and leaving my things there when out.

We often ate breakfast just across the street at LTU Pub, which was tasty and convenient and low-priced at breakfast time. There are several good places to eat close by, we also enjoyed Soupie's (cheap, fast, delicious) and Catcha Falling Star (not cheap but tasty and lovely setting), and also close is Ahbees, Seastar, Rick's, Mango Tree...no shortage of very walkable food and drink places.

I walked around the area a lot alone and with friends with no issues. Unlike at the beach or even further down the cliffs the salespeople are very mellow up in that area. When "rush hour" (aka sunset at Rick's) is not happening it is very quiet with little traffic. I rented a scooter from Tyke's for a few days and rode it away from town, out into the country on several occasions, and it was lovely.

I really can't say enough great things about this place. It is not a 5 star hotel but it has 5 star service and delivers on every expectation. I will be back!!

Room Tip: I enjoyed being close to the pool but if guests are hanging out there and you want quiet you might w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank ohliz
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

To the staff a HUGE thank you! We spent Thursday, April 3rd at the Gardens, before heading to an All Inclusive that we had previously booked, but couldn't get a room for thursday. The staff there was so great. The were friendly sweet, and always to help with our needs. Wayne the groundskeeper is an Amazing man! We had a n issue with our toilet and he immediately ran upstairs to take care of it. right after that while i sat out at the pool him and i conversed for about an hour. he even went as far to invite us to his friends bday party, unfortunately we were able to attend because of a wedding that day, (if you're reading this sorry we couldn't call wayne!). the room was perfect, everything was clean, the grounds were well kept, the pool was crystal clear. They have two dogs on premises, when we got back in the evening one followed us up to our room and stood outside on a chair on our balcony throughout the entire night into the morning, then she laid in the sun under our window. it was so precious, like our own personal guard dog. Again, it was only one night, but definitely a night to make a great impression, I'll be back and I definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stood in jasmine room upstairs, right outside pool, wrap around balcony w/ hammock.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I only stayed at the gardens the last few days of our trip and we absolutely loved it. We had walked through the property on a previous trip to Jamaica and found that the property was nicely groomed and the staff very friendly and hospitable. I personally love the location being higher up on the west end then most hotels. Riff-raff stays down at the beach, the traffic and noise are minimal and the shrubbery is gorgeous! We have begun to plan our trip for October and hope to to stay longer. The rooms are beautifully furnished and each balcony has a hammock to relax in. We spent most of the afternoons laying by the pool or playing checkers in the shaded area. We took advantage of LTU, just steps across the road, for breakfast one morning and sunset one evening. If you didn't want to leave the vicinity you wouldn't have to, but there are plenty of other places to eat if you are willing to venture. Napping in the hammock while the rain bounced off the tin roof was amazing. We love jamaica, and loved catcha gardens. I cannot wait until our next reach.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandTChi
new york
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Will guess after a one week stay, that the owner is closely involved in the day to day operations of the hotel. First rate service, everything works and standard of cleanliness very good. Personnel are topnotch, friendly, professional people. Brought my questions to Shereece in the office - she was very knowledgable and helped in making my stay a success. This is a well oiled machine - reservations, housekeeping, the energetic gardner Wayne (who was a fun guy) and everyone I had any contact with never forgot that they are in the service business. Having done a lot of traveling, luxury hotels included, most are not as memorable, and none better. I refer not to the property but the management. Would recommend to any one who wants a nice place to stay but not a luxury experience.

Room Tip: Fern overlooked the pool and was set back from the road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gallorosso
Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 March 2014

place is very nice staff is great. queit and a nice pool to chill at all day long. clean rooms with nice garden surrounding. close to beach and intown. but I love the west end overall great place for the money

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Edward M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great little hotel. I stayed in Coffee Rose Room. Spacious, clean, and rustic looking. I stayed March9-17. Didn't even need air conditioning, the fans were sufficient. The room is very clean. The housekeeping service was excellent. Everyone was nice and accommodating. The owner's dogs are charming and playful, sometimes I would find them sprawled out relaxing on my porch.
Overall recommend, if you are into simple, rustic rooms with no fuss.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple