“Service was amazing...”

Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Service was amazing...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

This was not my first time to Negril, Jamaica but it was my first time to Sandals resort. I stayed there July 29, 2011 through August 1, 2011. I have to admit that I did have high expectations of this resort due to all the reviews that I was seeing as well as the fact that Sandals is a well known hotel brand.

I loved the airport lounge. The minute we walked up to the lounge we were greeted with smiles and friendly faces. The lounge had complimentary drinks which included red stripe beer... yummy. After our hour long bus ride from Montego bay Airport, we finally arrived at the resort. As we walked in we were given champagne and a cool towel that smelled so refreshing. Ahh... this was an amazing start to my vacation. That was until I was taken to my room.

Apparently, my room was located on the older side of the hotel. Room number 3112 to be exact. It was a beachfront room but it was horrible. The room had a very damp feeling to it and upon my further inspection it had mold growing on the walls. The bathroom was so small and dark and had mold on the walls as well. The air conditioning was either too cold or too hot..... there was no happy medium. Also when the air conditioning was left on it would make the room feel more damp to the point where the floors would be wet with moisture. I was not impressed at all by this.

I could not stay in a room like this for 4 days so I went to the manager. I explained the situation and how I was not impressed at all by my room. Anne Marie (the manager on duty) was more than willing to help and very apologetic. She immediately showed me to a room that she thought may be more to my liking and it was. Once she got my approval on the room, she immediately had my bags transfered out of my old room to the new room. The new room was very spacious with seperate living and bedroom quarters and airconditioning units in both. It also had a much BIGGER bathroom which I was very happy about:) Thanks Ann marie! Also shout out to Mr. English for moving our bags so many times and being very happy to do so as well as showing us all the amenities in our room. As well as finding me some OFF bug spray when I desprately needed it. (Please remember to pack yours... there are alot of sand flies and mosquitoes, I was bitten pretty badly)

The beach was Amazing. Very warm and inviting. The water activities that are included in the all inclusive prcing were fun. Definitely do the glass bottom boat tour. There are numerous pools on the resort definitely take a swim in one... it feels so great!

What I liked least about the hotel was that there was no night entertainment. All the entertainment was always over by 10 pm or 11pm at the latest. After that, it was very boring if you decided to stay at the resort. Also the food was not great. I was hoping to get some real authentic Jamaican cuisine but they only offered this on certain days. I asked the Food and Beverage Manager about this and he was quick to tend to my wants :) He even made exclusively for me an authentic Jamaican dish of oxtails which was absolutely delicious. He also would call my room anytime they were serving something specifically from Jamaica and tell me to come down so I could have a taste! I thought that was nice.

Sundowner restaraunt was always a winner! The food their was delicious. And our waiter Michael was one of the Best. He was so friendly and willing to make sure that our experience was an excellent one. Thank you Michael.

Overall, what makes the hotel impressive in my book is the service. But for the money that you pay to stay here, I think the rooms could be better, the food could be better, there should be more entertainment, and the alcohol selection should be top notch. (How can you go to Jamaica and not have Appleton or Wray and Nephew Rum?) Good experience, but I probably wouldn't shell out this kind of money again for this particular resort.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank rudegal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,348)
  • Greek first
Kihei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

To get to Negril is easy. You just fly into the main airport and take a small plane from there. The airport in Negril is just minutes away from the hotel and the water is so wonderful. The ocean is 80 degrees and flat as a lake, no waves or currents to worry about. The resort is beautiful and the beach like baby powder sand.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank andyooley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Even though we went to Sandals Negril during the rainy season, it was wonderful. The resort is clean and well staffed. The beach and pools are spectacular. The food was great and the liquor is flowing all day and night. There are so many things to do on the resort as well. We took two tours off the resort, the dolphin swim in Ocho Rios and the Chukka Horseback Ride & Swim. The dolphin swim was awesome, but it's a 3 hour drive to Ocho Rios, so I wouldn't recommend it for people staying in Negril. If we could go back, we wouldn't sign up for any tours off the resort - we'd take more advantage of the things offered at the resort. FYI during the rainy season - it rained like clockwork at about 3-3:30pm everyday for a couple hours. So if you want to enjoy the beach activities make sure you do it in the morning! But overall it was a wonderful vacation. The Jamaican people are great fun - super friendly and helpful. Make sure you take lots of cash because you have to tip your drivers and the people who carry your bags. They make sure to let you know if they're not employed by Sandals!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Skennedy1983
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed at Sandals Negril from 7/23/11-7/30/11 and once again, were amazed by the service, quality of the room, food, and overall relaxing experience. This was our third Sandals resort, having previously stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay and Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas. My fiance and I prefer butler service, so we chose to stay in a butler level room in the butler-only building adjacent to the swim-up lagoon. While we stayed on the second floor (so did not have a swim-up room), we enjoyed the slightly more panaramic view of the ocean from our room.

Our butlers, Neil and Orlando, were amazing. They were attentive to our every need, but not intrusive, which is exactly what we like. Every morning, we ordered our breakfast either to our balcony or directly to our beach chairs, which were always reserved for us. We also requested a daily cooler of our favorite drinks, which was always ready for us at our beach chairs. Neil and Orlando were fantastic at arranging nightly dinner reservations for us, and even went above and beyond to arrange for a special private lobster dinner on our balcony for my birthday. It was an amazing ending to a great day which started with birthday balloons tied to our beach umbrella! We really loved the personal touches. The beach itself was lovely; soft sand, plenty of room, and more than enough beach chairs. While we were lucky enough to have our chairs reserved for us daily, there were literally hundreds throughout the resort's beach, so I can't imagine anyone would have had a hard time getting one. The drinks were delicious and always available.

The food was great, as always. We particularly enjoyed Barefoot on the Beach, and our amazing waitress, Sachell, who was attentive and personable. We even went back a second time and requested her! The rest of the staff was friendly, laid-back, and warm. We had such a great time posing for pictures with Anthony (T-bone) and Fabian - both of whom are amazing photographers! We purchased several of their photos before we left. The people are our favorite part of Jamaica!

The only negative came on our last night, when there was a huge beach party at the resort next door (Boardwalk Village). Unfortunately, the loud DJ and live music went on until 3:30am, and kept us awake for the entire time. Luckily, it was only one night, so we didn't make a big deal about it. If this had happened earlier in our trip, we would have spoken to management. If planning to stay in the butler-only building, I would inquire about any possible upcoming beach parties. Otherwise, we slept soundly in our elgant room, with a huge king sized bed and extravagant amenities.

Overall, I highly recommend this resort, as well as the other Sandals we have visited.

2 Thank Ghibelina
Westminster, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I were married on July 31, 2011, and on Monday we headed out to Sandals Negril. We were hoping for an amazing resort for our honeymoon, but what we got was far from amazing. I would like to say this has been one of the worst resorts I have ever visited. We spent a good deal of money to come here for our honeymoon and this was not what we expected. The customer service is horrible. When we ask for something or are waiting at the bar for a drink it takes a good 15 minutes to get waited on unless you show that you have some money to tip. Our room was horrible and not what we expected as far as a room for a honeymoon We paid for a suite or what sandals calls a suite. What we received was equal to a one star motel. The bathrooms were awful in the rooms. We asked numerous times to upgrade and were willing to pay, but we were constantly ignored. The air conditioning leaked the entire time in our room and nothing had been done for it to be fixed. Every morning the floor is soaked. The mini bar that was stocked with sodas and juices was not stocked properly and there were a few opened juices left in the fridge that previous people have drank from. The bottles were half full. That was pretty disgusting. There was never any hot water for the shower. The honeymoon package we were promised consisted of a bottle of champagne in melted bucket of ice left outside our front door. I also woke up one morning to 3 cock roaches in our shower. Also everyday we tried to get reservations at Kimonos. There was also a 2 day period where house keeping never cleaned our room. Anytime I called the front desk I felt like we were an annoyance. I tried to not let the above things bother me and tried to make the best of our honeymoon. I wish we could have a do over for our honeymoon in a quieter, nicer customer based resort. We paid tons of extra money to go off the property because we disliked our room so much. The food was okay, but the drinks need work. Most drinks were from an already made mix. I hope that there is something Sandals can do to fix the problems above. I would consider Negril again but never Sandals. If you are looking for luxury and relaxation pick a different resort.

12 Thank Marine1979
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

The complaints we had were with the room, the fan was off balance and made a constant noise, the room needed updating and repair the bathroom was below stanards. Room service was horrible, items on the menu were not available and took over 45 minutes. We asked to have the room cleaned at noon every day and that did not happen plus the rugs remained covered with sand from day one. Not the four to five star experience we expected, it's a great place for younger people who haven't traveled much but experienced travelers will find the rooms a let down.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Scappy7
Las Tablas, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful two weeks at Sandals, Negril. We have been there before, but this was the first time we could stay this long. We found that the people handling reservations and room assignments were not accommodating at all and the front desk personnel were not particularly friendly, let alone helpful. Initially, we had trouble getting a drink at some of the bars (the bartenders were socializing among themselves and “friends”). This improved markedly during our stay. The General Manager there is very impressive and two great new assistants arrived shortly before our stay. There was a regular management presence, more so than in the past (we were married there in ’01 and visited in ‘04 and ‘08). We really appreciated the “hands on” management style. We are confident that the problems we observed are now resolved.

We read these reviews for information; now it is our turn to provide some:

We visited during the second and third weeks of July. This was our first summer trip to Jamaica. What the Jamaicans called “sand flies” were an annoyance. They weren’t out every night and didn’t ruin our trip. However, we ate at Barefoot on the Beach only once and were bothered at Dino’s (formerly 4 C’s) as well. Bring heavy duty bug spray and apply frequently. “Off” is available at the gift shop but is very expensive. My wife discovered that the local remedy of rubbing white rum on the bites worked very well. The grounds keepers did spray the beach area regularly.

It rained almost every day, usually for a short time, mostly sunny, not a problem; a welcome break from the sun, actually.

Towels were never a problem, there were always plenty.

The food was very good to excellent. I am a very picky eater and follow a “weird” diet, but always found something to my liking. The wait staff was great and Michael at Sundowner was a standout even in this group of stars. Don’t miss eggs and omelets by Charlene. The jerk chicken at the beach grill is great, as are the Jamaican meat patties. However, they ran out of patties every day.

Kemoi, a charming new comer, at the Beach bar was just fantastic, as were Leroy, and Junior (at the Pool bar). I didn’t quite understand why Appleton rum was no longer being served. Otherwise, the Bars were well stocked with top shelf products. I didn’t mind Red Stripe being the only beer available, others might. I heard that if you pay for a servant they can get other beers, etc. Be careful ordering wine at dinner, they sell wine at Sandals now, be sure to understand if it is included in your “all inclusive” or an extra.

I have been reading, with some trepidation, the saga of the servants and the “reserved” beach lounge chairs. We did not find this to be a problem. However, we stayed in the Plantation Block. These are the low end rooms. (All we really want is a comfortable place to sleep and a clean bath.) In this area, the center of the beach, beach lounge chairs were available, initially. At the North and South areas of the beach most of the chairs were reserved AND unused. In the center area chairs were available to the guests on a first come, first served basis and unoccupied chairs were fair game; as it should be. Finding a chair on the beach was not a problem, until the Water sports people made off with about a third of them early one morning and hid them behind the Water sports building, assuring that there would be a shortage. (We speculated that this made it easier to groom the beach) By the way, there are plenty of “floaters” back there to.

Speaking of the servants, they also indulged in the rude practice of reserving dining tables which often went unused, the entire night. A group of us speculated that they would reserve a table in each restaurant each night; don’t know for sure, but it seemed like it. There were long lines of hungry guests looking at a third to half of the tables sitting empty. Also, guests with servants were allowed to but-in at the front of the line, even without a reserved table. We eat early so it was never a problem for us.

(This seems to be a brand wide situation that the Negril management is not in a position to address.)

We found Russell at the Soon Come Back desk to be an absolute delight and very helpful. Sandals affiliate, Island Routes handles the trips and tours off the resort. They are very good.

We took the trip to Black River and Appleton Estates, it was a fantastic day. Dale, our driver, was just wonderful. He realized that we were interested in seeing the sights in Jamaica. He turned our drive into a delightful learning experience and an immersion into Jamaican culture. He even picked Ackee and Pimento for us. We can’t thank him enough. (We were looking in to hiring a car and driver just to see the sights, we didn’t need to) We also recommend the “Party Boat” cruise to Rick’s and Margaritaville. The two bars stunk on ice, but we get to say we were there. The cruise itself was great, flying fish and all. The sunsets were incredible. However, (except for the cruise) the summer sun sets over the Island, not as cool as on the horizon (in winter).

We took a cab to church and very much enjoyed the experience (church service).

We recommend the glass bottom boat and snorkel trips, Macky and Big Papa are just a hoot. Don’t miss Maxine’s horticultural tour of the grounds.

Once you leave the resort you are expected to tip drivers, etc. When we went shopping in Negril the craft vendors were a little pushy, the store clerks were not. We were prepared for this so it didn’t bother us. Craft vendors are on the beach regularly so you don’t have to leave the resort to get craft items. These vendors are delightful, particularly Sam, the cocoanut shell jewelry guy.

The beach is public (at least a narrow strip along the mean tide line) so “vendors” are allowed to walk back and forth. The Security people are very good and keep them from being a problem. The Jet Ski guys are a big nuisance. The beach itself is better than it was a few years ago. There are still spots with mud and sea grass, but it’s improving. They could do a better job cleaning up trash in the water just off the beach. There are plans for a major beach reclamation and artificial reef project.

If you are disabled “you’re on your own son”. The Sandals accessibility policy reads like a disclaimer, it is. We don’t fault Negril management, they were very helpful.

In the low-end rooms you get no room service and only water and soft drinks in the mini ‘frig (Like it would kill them to leave a few Red Stripes). Warning! When the maid forgets to leave the coffee packets, there is no coffee anywhere on the property before breakfast, except room service.

We couldn’t close without mentioning that Elliot (Maintenance); and Harold (Grounds keeping), are first class gentlemen and it is a pleasure to talk with them, they have been on staff since the resort opened.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, Plantation block on the beach side have the best views. Pricier rooms are bigger & h...