“Suggestions for a better trip”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Millionaire Honeymoon One Bedroom Butler Suite with Private Pool...room and pool was nice, but we couldn't use the pool as planned because it wasn't private (see pictures) and it was too cold. Fortunately, the ocean was warm and the beach breezes were nice. Our butler service was helpful, but also frustrating at time. The van ride to/from the airport was long and uncomfortable, and unacceptable given the room price, and immigration took forever at airport I.e. it took us almost 4 hours to get from plane landing to relaxing in room. So...in my humble opinion, save your money on butler service and top end room, but pay for club mobay at airport to speed through immigration, pay for private transport to resort, and stay longer!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Joe B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,507)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at Sandals Negril from May 2-10. This was the last of the Sandals in Jamaica to stay at. I have to say, it is my least favorite of all the Sandals I have been to (In addition to all the other Sandals and Beaches properties in Jamaica I have also visited the Sandals in Antigua, Emerald Bay and Beaches Turks and Caicos).

Upon arrival I was lead to the main waiting area and my husband was brought upstairs. I tried to follow him and was told to sit down and have a drink. I am assuming that they were taking him upstairs to check us in (as though this is a 'mans' job) however, the reservations were under my name. Things got a bit confusing and the woman upstairs could not find our booking. He began to panic and become annoyed but after about 15 min, all was settled. We both found this a bit odd that of the other couples that arrived at the same time we did that we were the only ones they seperated

We were brought to our rooms and were very disappointed in the room. NO balcony - this was a first for us- and VERY small and dated. Closet was tiny and the drawer space was almost non existant. I am not a tall woman and I had to stand on my toes to even see in the one and only mirror in the bathroom. Water pressure was terrible. I have to say, these rooms are not up to the Sandals standards I have come to know and love. We asked to be moved to another room but were told there were none. With two days left to our vacation were were moved to a room that was dated (but had a balcony). We don't spend a lot of time in our room but after spending a week at Whitehouse, this was disappointing.

The beach is NOT a 5* and may be the worst beach I have ever been to (I would rate it a 2* and that is generous). I live on the East Coast of Canada and travel extensively and know what a good beach quality is - this is not even close to acceptable. The water was NOT clear and FULL of seaweed. All you could do was float in the water on a floaty IF you were lucky enough to get one. This was also another disappointing feature of the beach. The dreaded towel game..... At 6:30am almost all the chairs on the beach with shade were reserved and many of them were never occupied at all throughout the day. The sandals floaties were also 'reserved' under the palapas but again, we noticed that often the guest did not even come to these 'reserved' spots. If you were not able to get a flotation device, going in the beach water was pointless because walking through that seaweed was disgusting.... If you did get the nerve to walk the seaweed the ground was so slimy and even had a foul smell.

On day 2 at the beach the motor boats were having some issues and we had to move because the revving of the motors and the black smoke coming from them was terrible. We got 'smoked out!' We had to move or sit back and listen to the motors and inhale the black smoke - gross.

On day Four (day 3 we went to Beaches) the vendors they allow on site were parked inches from the chairs we managed to get. If I wanted to be on top of a vendor I would have went next door to the boardwalk. We didn't mind the vendors walking the beach, they were not a nuisance and pretty harmless, but those parked along the walkway between the pool and beach were! Again, Sandals markets themselves as a place to go and relax, this totally took away from our experience of feeling like we could read a book, relax or nap on the beach - how can you when you can't even recline your beach chair because the vendors chairs are literally touching yours.

Also in terms on the beach, the ground was rough and the beach was not very wide. We walked to Beaches up the beach twice and agreed that doing the 25 minute beach walk was the two best days we had! Had we known that we would have had to go to another resort to enjoy our trip, we would have booked Beaches and brought the kids.

I was also very disappointed that the two pools were very small. Again, perhaps the oldest and smallest pools I have been to. As with few chairs left on the beach this was also the case with the pool. Space was very limited and always taken or 'reserved'. This was also the worst pool I have been to at any of the Sandals resorts as well.

As for the service, this was the only thing that saved this resort. The staff there could not have been better. Saychelle at Barefoot's is incredible as was Norman at Cucina.

I LOVE the Sandals brand and all of my past vacations at the other resorts have been great. This resort has charm, you feel like you are in a beach town in Maine at night, but that is it. Not since my last trip to Cuba in 2008 have I looked forward to a trip ending. I wanted to leave on day 2.

Again, I LOVE the Sandals brand and can not say enough about them but this resort was anything but a week in paradise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle F
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your review, Michelle.

We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us at Sandals Negril. We always strive to exceed the expectations of our guests, especially our return guests as they are already familiar with our high standard. Please accept my apologies for this not being the case during your last stay. We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to regain our high standing with you during a future stay with us at one of our lovely locations.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

First off this is our third trip to a sandals resort. Have never been dissapointed before and the tradition continues. You gotta like it when most of the staff remember your name after only meeting you once before. As always the food is great and this resort being a little smaller had a great all around atmosphere. I usually participate in a lot of the activities and had a great time here with all the staff I played with. We would like to really recommend this resort as we had not a single complaint about anything here.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I so wanted this to be the perfect spot for our annual spring trip, but I won't be back. The pictures and reviews made it look fantastic and there were some really high points, but there were other issues.

* the food was great, I stayed at another all-inclusive in Jamaica and the food was nearly inedible so I was pleasantly surprised. Breakfast was great....we loved the service and the greeting by the energetic Kendal each day.

* Word to the wise - book the Japanese and Italian resturant the day you arrive. You can book it for future nights.

*another tip - they do not have a nightly buffet except for Monday and I think Friday. The other nights the main dining is french -- which unfortunately was not very good.

*the room was clean and good temperature. It did not have a musty smell either, which we have encountered at other resorts. The shower was terrible. The water came out like a drip so bad I could barely get the soap out of my hair. Another minor issue was that there was no were no place to hang wet bathing suite. I had a garden view room and it did not have a balcony. When I called housekeeping to see if there was something I could use to hand our wet suits on they brought me up one hanger. They need more hooks in the bathroom or something.

*the service was excellent, but be faired warned, unless you have a butler you are not getting served drinks at the beach or at the pool. The good news is that since the beach was not that far for the bars, it did not bother us. But we are used to being served at the beach.

*chairs....same story as every all-inclusive we've been to. You got to get up early to save a chair. if you have a butler, he/she will reserve your chair. Another issue, was that butler saved a "beach spot" and a "pool spot" for their guest, so there were never any available chairs pool side.

*clientele - the good part was it was mostly couples, newly weds, etc. the average age I would say was 35 - 60ish. There were a couple weddings that brought in guests that were clearly not "couples" which this resort is geared toward. So one day we did have to move our chairs as a wedding crowd moved in next to us taking up 10-15 chairs, smoking cigars/cigarettes, getting drunk, and loud. I was hoping that at a Sandals this would not be the clientele. Oh well, it did not ruin our time, but I thought we would not have to deal with that at a Sandals.

*amenities - wonderful...I was so surprised at all that Sandals offered for free. We paddleboarded for the first time (I highly recommend it), we went tubing, we snorkeled, we went on the glass bottom boat - all included! It was so great to go snorkeling right from the resort, you have to reserve it but we never had a problem going, you picked up the boat right from the resort and could snorkel for an hour and be back to the beach! Excellent...the boat captain Reni was great!

* the beach - and this is where it all goes down hill. I was on 7 mile beach before, and while Sandals technically may be on 7 mile beach it is not in my opinion....it is in a 2 mile wide cove. Which is why we had tons of seaweed. When I was on 7 mile beach before it was a wide span of beach - the beach in front of Sandals is very small - not wide at all, in fact the water is feet from the umbrellas. It is very unfortunate. Also, going in the water was kinda gross. First you had to get through the seaweed, then you would get passed that and encounter sea grass on the ocean floor. you would sink in the sea grass and stuff would be moving around your feet....it was not good. In fact it was probably the worst beach I've been too. Also, I like to walk and thought that 7 mile beach would be good since it seemed like a row of resorts, unfortunately though, when you left sandals, the next spot over was a restuarant or something and immediately you would be offered dope, asked to buy their stuff, etc., just did not seem safe to walk any real distance. Another couple told us to try Whitehouse as the beach was supposed much better.

Overall - don't get me wrong it was a great resort, with great service, I just wished the beach was nicer and that the ocean was the crystal clear blue I know Jamaica has in other locations.

Room Tip: The second floor of the sundowner overlooking the ocean seemed like fantastic rooms.
2  Thank K K
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Visited Sandals Negril in May 2014. As expected, the service was excellent especially the concierge. Night snorkeling is a must, cost is $35 pp, but what a neat experience. Chad the security officer ensures all hagglers keep moving and won't allow anyone to bother you. The grounds are beautiful and clean. We stayed in the grand luxe beachfront walkout. The ocean was literally 10 steps from our patio! Food was excellent, did not realize Lobster is out of season this time of year, but we found plenty of great food. I highly recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Negril.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JTReep
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I arrived at the resort for our honeymoon and were warmly greeted and offered a strong drink. We splurged on a Butler suite on the top floor of the Sundowner. Once we saw the swim up rooms were not as private we were glad we chose a top floor balcony room. We thought it might be hard getting used to a butler assisting you but Kendrick and Jerry immediately made you feel comfortable with their giant smiles and infectious laughs. Kendrick and Jerry reserved us seats on the quiet side of the beach daily, booked excursions, dinner reservations and escorted you to the best table in all the restaurants. When we would come back from an excursion they always had something special up their sleeves. When we got back from the glass bottom boat ride, Kendrick was waiting on shore for my husband and I with two cocktails balanced on his head. Other times we came back from our outings and a warm bubble bath with candles and flowers was welcoming us or a bed full of flower petals, champagne and chocolates. I highly recommend the butler service as you will get the ultimate experience and it pays for itself. Thanks guys!

Everyone at Sandals aim to please but one person besides our butlers went above and beyond to make a night special for us. One thing we wanted to do the entire time was a candlelight dinner on the beach. We booked this for our last evening so we could go out with one last romantic bang. My husband and I love the water lapping at our feet and the Jamaican sunsets. Unfortunately around noon on a storm rolled in and it looked like our perfect romantic night would be spoiled. Around 5:45pm the rain stopped but the beach was soaked and there were still clouds looming in the sky and our dinner was planned to start at 6:00pm. Taneisha was our server for the evening and began setting up our dinner on our balcony. When we told her we really wanted to be outside she moved everything down to a gazebo near the beach because dinners on the sand were not going to be possible. After about 30 minutes of cleaning the gazebo and setting up the table we were still a little disappointed that we were not going to have our beach dinner like we wanted even though the skies had cleared. My husband and I were sitting at the piano bar waiting on the finishing touches of our set up to be completed when the manager of the restaurant came up to us and informed us that we would be getting our beach dinner. He said Taneisha could tell that we were disappointed and she wanted to ensure we got the experience we desired and pushed for permission to extend our dinner time and move it to the beach. This was a perfect way to conclude the most amazing week of our lives and we were extremely grateful. Thank you Taneisha!

Crystal clear water, extraordinary accommodations, four-star food, and five- star hospitality. We highly recommend Sandals.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for more privacy and better views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I wrote a review last year about Sandals Negril. This was our second vacation at this resort...14 days in paradise!! Before I start the review, there is a bit of a back story which I hope will address any issues for anyone who is physically disabled. This resort is perfect for those who need assistance...I was in a wheelchair during our entire vacation (chronic foot problem reared it's ugly head a few weeks before we left for Jamaica). The entire staff at SN made sure our stay was as comfortable and perfect as it could be. Kudos to all of them. This review will be based on hub's and my observations and our experiences...not on my physical limitations. I will be using bullet form with a rating of 0-5 for each category:

* Arrival: Our flight arrived on time (Thurs at 1:00pm). Thankfully, we had booked Club MoBay arrival and the rep met us at the bottom of the gate ramp. Best $100 we have ever spent...the line at the immigration hall was approx 2 hrs. It was hot and humid in the hall. Because we had purchased Club MoBay, we breezed thru immigration (they use the flight crew line), picked up our luggage and were escorted to the Sandals lounge within 15 minutes. RATING: 5

*Transfer: We had booked our private transfer via Sandals. Yes, they are expensive but we have used them three times now. Nothing like a comfy Audi or Mercedes sedan taking you to Negril!! They provide hor d'oeuvres, Red Stripe and Champagne on the drive to SN. The 1.4 hour trip flies by. RATING: 5

*Arrival: This is when I say we had booked a butler suite. Sundowner building...second floor over the swim-up suites. Last year, we stayed in the swim-ups and decided to try the Crystal Lagoon Penthouse suite. Great choice on our part...the sunsets are spectacular! When we arrived, all hubs had to do was give the front desk our credit card so they could put it on file for anything we bought while on resort (we had done the online check in). One negative comment here...the concierge who greeted us wasn't pleasant. She seemed a bit overwhelmed, and then acknowledged (after we told her twice) our name. Once we saw our favorite butler coming to greet us...I knew we would have a great vacation!!! You can request certain butlers, but it's not guaranteed. We saw Neisha and I have to admit that she and I made a loud scene in the lobby. LOL Rating: 4

*Room: I can't say enough about the Sundowner building. If you can afford it, go for it!! The pictures on the Sandals website are spot on. Plus, there is an elevator which is very helpful. The best beach at SN is just steps away from the building...and I mean steps. And the lagoon is wonderful for those who like to 'float'. It's basically a pool with intersecting canals...best way I can describe it. Rating: 5

*Food: This is where I have an issue. I am a picky eater...hubs will eat anything. I ordered a few entrees that I loved last year...and they were disappointing to say the least. Two of the fish entrees had bones in them and one of the desserts was changed so much that I didn't recognise it. SN has a new head chef and I'm not impressed overall. But I was able to find something to eat..night after night. Now to specifics:

Cucina Romana: Better than last year imo. The bowtie pasta is to die for. Hubs loved the Chicken with olives, the beef tenderloin skewers and we both loved the Tiramasu. I just wish they had the antipasti bar like St. Lucia.

Bayside: Breakfast buffet wasn't a surprise...same as last year. We never went for lunch. Dinner was French...hubs had the lamb chops and it must have been an off night but they weren't as great as everyone on TA said. I loved the crab, chicken in pastry and the Salad Nicoise.

Sundowner: great lunch (crab and shrimp quesadillas) and tacos. All with a spicy jerk kick. Dinner is where I found my favorite entree...the papaya glazed chicken was the bomb!! Hubs loved the beef tenderloin (even though it was smaller than last year) and the lamb curry.

Barefoot at the Beach: nice breakfast if you don't want to go to Bayside. Dinner...not great. It's our least favorite restaurant. Dinner is basically a mix and match seafood menu. Pick your protein, pick how you want it cooked, pick your sauce and your side. None of which was worth the effort.

Beach Bistro and Pizza: Pizza is great...gooey mess of cheese and toppings. Bistro has good food if you want nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers and grilled cheese. Onion rings are the bomb!!

Kimonos: We went this year...fun time!! Met three other couples, we chatted, drank and ate so-so Japanese food. Alot of it. The chef (Napoleon) was entertaining...he and I sang Madonna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Michael Jackson songs. I think hubs wanted to hide under the table!

Overall rating for the restaurants: 4

*Beach: We were on the Sundowner section of the beach for the first week. Soft sand and plenty of loungers. As has been pointed out before (and often) the floaties are few and far between. There were many days that we didn't get one...but it wasn't a big deal to us. The water was calm, as turquoise as the pictures depict and totally relaxing. Rating: 5

Second week, because of a mishap, I couldn't go on the beach so we went to the Piano Bar pool. .Yes it is tiny but so nice and quiet. We like to read so this pool was perfect for us. Plus, you can't go wrong being next to the Bar itself and meeting Chris the bartender!!! At 10am each morning, hubs would walk up to the bar with my purple Bubba mug and Chris would make a mega margarita for me. Love him!! Rating: 5+++

*Vendors: A positive change over last year for those who are concerned about being harrassed. During the entire two weeks of our vacation, we counted less than ten vendors who would walk the beach on a daily basis. They were the musicians, a guy selling cigars, one lady selling her beaded jewellery and a few others. The 'Vendor Parade' was non-existant. And the public foot traffic was also non-existant. Rating: 5

Butlers: As I have said many times...we have been lucky with our butlers Neisha and Myron. They have become family to us. Still professional, but they knew what we needed before we needed it. If we hadn't checked in with them for a few hours, they would phone us. If I wasn't feeling well, they would phone hubs to make sure I was ok. Love you!!! Can't wait to see you both next year! Oh, and we received quite a surprise after we had gone to Kimonos..it's one of the pictures I am submitting. Hubs and I were laughing for hours... Rating: Over the top!!!

Now the negatives:

This year, we noticed that Sandals is catering to a younger clientele. And to more 'singles'. On the second night after we arrived, there was a wedding reception at our end of the beach. It seems that SN has decided to stage the large parties on the Sundowner side of the resort. This reception went on until 1am. The music from the DJ was so loud that the building actually shook...and if I heard 'Gangnam Style' one more time, I was going to jump off the balcony. This didn't happen last year. The next week, another wedding and we had two single females (who were in the wedding) staying in the room next to us and they had a major party on their balcony which lasted until 4am. I'm sorry, but we paid $$$ for relaxation and assumed that we would find it in the same building we stayed in last year. That didn't happen. This plus the changes in the food is why we gave the overall rating of SN a 4 instead of a 5. But after saying this, none of the negatives are deal breakers for us. Hubs and I have signed up to return next year. This review is my fair and balanced critique. If anyone has questions, please feel free to send me a private message!

7  Thank CalgaryCassie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
31 mi away
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!