“Bitter sweet”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Im prompted to write this review because of the African American group who stayed at the hotel and did not get equal service to "other"guests.
Im sad to say Sandals lost me 10 years ago when whilst waiting at the bar for 20 minutes I had to change from polite to vex with the african Caribbean barman who grudgingly served my "wife and I"fresh from the altar.
10 years and nothing has changed.
Otherwise fire eaters
Beach, room, ambiance were great.
Butch please sort this out!!
Evan and Doreen from Gb

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank evanandoreen
Write a ReviewReviews (5,515)

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Very relaxing vacation. Lots of cold drinks by the ocean and plenty of spots with shade to choose from. Not too crowded to enjoy yourself. One complaint is there are too many locals walking through trying to sell you "smoke". If you wanna get high, you definitely can get r dun in Negril. After the first time these folks walk by and you say no thanks n they don't bother you though. Overall, great vacation. I would go back tomorrow. If you go to Negril go on a trip to read to the little school children. They get a kick out of it, and you will be able to see how good you have it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent 10 wonderful days at Sandals Negril and we only have the best things to say about our experience. The staff was simply incredible! Shout outs to Tristan, Ian, Shahay and Michael for always treating us like royalty. Our room was wonderful, with a beautiful view of the ocean. The food was outstanding each and every time. We simply have no complaints! We took a day trip to Black River, Y&S Falls and the Appleton Estate which was such an incredible experience! All in all we had the time of our lives and look forward to hopefully trying out another Sandals resort in the future!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobMtl84
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Amazing wedding and Honeymoon!!! The most beautiful place in the world to have our wedding.
Everything was so special. When we got off the plane Sandals was waiting for us and welcomed in the Sandals Lounge. Then taken to the resort and welcomed with a refreshing drink of the Day!! Then Ushered to our romantic room for the week with a wonderful view of the Caribbean. It was paradise to say the least.
A couples massage would follow the next day before our wedding on the beach. A candle light dinner would follow that evening. Giselle our wedding planner was awesome in taking care of us so professionally. Our photographer made it fun for us taking our pictures.Giselle and Michael were our witnesses. Calmolena our housekeeper was unreal. She made our
room up with flowers everywhere and the special notes she left us on our bed was awesome!
I have these notes and will cherish them forever. Kendra at the buffet all smiles everyday and The Barefoot by the Beach restaurant staff all were excellent. The hospitality there was something I just cannot describe. The landscape coordinator showed us around and described every flower on the resort. Everything was spectacular and we will never ever forget our wedding and honeymoon in Negril Jamaica.. A huge shout out to all the employees at Sandals Negril :)

1  Thank Debbie E
Reviewed 26 June 2014

After a great check-in experience and positive first impression, we quickly found continual pressure on us to buy-up for more benefits (private cabanas, wine, excursions, etc.), and at same time found it difficult to impossible to reserve dinner at the prime restaurants at 'normal' dinner hours. Then, we had increasing difficulty with our room door lock, and tried extra key cards to no avail; and even endured advice like "swipe more slowly" or "swipe very fast", before they finally replaced the entire lock assembly. At other hotels under any such room issue as this I would immediately get a new room--not here! We had upgraded to one of the best rooms already, so I cannot understand the management attitude to keep us continually aggravated over a basic necessity as entering our room. So, we were forced to stay in the room and guard our possessions while the maintenance man went for parts and supplies, with the door torn apart. Not an apology from management, ever, on this. Our private conciege agent we were provided was missing in action all thru this debacle. When we prepared to check out and get our boarding passes after 6 days, the concierge staff temporarily lost our only itinerary copy, and we had to request upper management to urge the staff to keep looking for it until found.

Next: the diving and boat/water staff was hit and miss, but mostly miss. They were generally rude, indolent, and even harrassing to us. The watersports staff was the worst, and one even complained about how rich we Americans are compared to the little compensation they get as Sandals employees. This fellow later lorded over me what a better sailor he was than I, remarking how I could not handle a boat properly. He shall remain nameless here, because if the management cannot detect his attitude without my help, God help them. Other staff even strongly hinted that we should provide them with non-cash gifts to receive better service, or even to maintain the level of service already provided. Never in my experience at a resort (all-inclusive or otherwise) have I encountered non-professionalism (may i say coersion?) of this magnitude. Worst was, management of the hotel did not seem to care that we were not satisfied with the staff's service and poor attitude.
On the plus side, some of the dive instructors are highly technically skilled and great at leading vacationing divers within their limits, with "Breaker" being the best I dove with. "Emron" was a close second. The boat captain "Hook" was very safety-conscious, and maintained a tight ship without being over-bearing. Only one or two lapses there, with one being when he belayed our departure about 75 yards from shore to allow a messenger boat to bring a welcome tray of fruit to us; and the other when (my first trip) no one reminded me to "sit and slide" to get off the stern, and I tweaked my ankle in the jump. The divemaster that day also neglected to announce we were on a drift dive, and then lambasted me for not staying close enough (arm's length?) to the group when we all popped to the surface and waited for the boat (which did not provide a trailing line for us either). I was so upset I did not deal with the water staff for an entire day (and I went for the diving). As I suspected, their gear was not good, and I was glad I brought mine. Other divers struggled with leaky masks and regulators.

If you can endure occasional annoyance/frustration/anger to get a great vacation spot, Sandals Negril is fine. But many other similar resorts at Negril share the same wonderful beach, and likely will provide a superior experience with better overall memories. As for me, this is my last Sandals trip. My spouse agrees. The attitude, "If you want better service you must pay me more for it" does not fly at an all-inclusive, especially where I already packaged the deal I thought I was receiving for an amount equal to what I would pay for a great live-aboard or other 5-star hotel elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't feed the cats--they follow you to your room and cry in the middle of the night. If you are...
4  Thank Christopher B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about your stay. We are saddened to hear that you had this experience during your visit at Sandals Negril. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service, from booking all the way to check-out, therefore, we deeply regret that you had this experience with us. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to look into this further to ensure that our future guests do not have a similar feedback. I have sent you a private message for a few additional details and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I had stayed at Sandals Negril for our honeymoon on 6/16-6/22. We were so pleased how everyone was so helpful and nice. The beaches were absolutely amazing. Completely breathtaking...true paradise. All the staff that was working the week we were there between the concierge/club sandals, the gentlemen that worked over at the water sports, and captain that took us out were amazing!!! Kendra every morning at breakfast welcomed us with a hug and a smile. The staff at snap shots were great!!! Since it was our first time ever going we really didn't know how the photo shop worked. On our 3rd day at the resort, my husband and I checked them out. I totally fell in love with a sample of a vacation/honeymoon book they had on display. After looking at the book I wasn't sure we would have time to complete one. Teegee, was amazing and took the time with us on multiple days to do our photo sessions. On our last day there. Andrew, T-bone, and Keron, were very helpful as well. I know there were others however, because everyone was so helpful we cannot remember everyones name, but EVERYONE went over and beyond on our stay. There was one gentleman who came out for the snorkeling trip twice on Saturday 6/21 at 11am, and 2pm to take pictures of my husband and I under water feeding the fish. He ended up getting some really amazing shots. I want to be sure to give him credit for capturing some awesome images. The food was incredible. For dinner we had the opportunity to try the hibachi and the Italian restaurant, as well as the French restaurant. Overall they were really great but my husband and I's favorite was the Italian. Its more of a personal preference what each individual likes. Our last night there we had done the private candlelight dinner on the beach. I will say definitely do that if you can, it was so incredibly romantic. As far as our room went we stayed in the honeymoon beachfront walkout room. Although there were towels set up when we got there and flower petals on the bed, I thought that that would have happened a little bit more throughout our stay. I think especially if you are there for your honeymoon or wedding, that there would be a little more special touches done. It was a great room though but my husband and I thought it would have been a little more private considering it was a "honeymoon room". There is a sidewalk that is very close to the sliding glass door and you get people constantly walking by. This is something our travel agent did not fill us in on as far as the privacy issue. If you are looking for that privacy the millionaire suites are set back a little and seem to be more private. Overall our trip was amazing. Thank you to all the staff who assisted us in anyway we needed. We left with amazing memories to last a lifetime. We are hoping in 5 years to return since we had an incredible time...

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this resort, where the staff were one of the friendliest in the whole world. The staff at the Buffet, like Annecia McGrowder (and I forgot the other ones names )- were ALL excellent. Also at the Italian restaurant, Fabio Iannone went out of his way for excellent service and very friendly. Then at the Barefoot at the Beach restaurant, Sashelle Clarke was very good and very helpful, with excellent service. The service and food and entertainment were all very good at this resort. The only negative thing was the narrow beach and the location - far from town and far from any shops etc. Other than that, it was great, especially all the staff!

3  Thank Juvina2028
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
31 mi away
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!