“Christmas & New Years 2013/2014” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Nunavut, Canada
“Christmas & New Years 2013/2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I returned to Jamaica for a third time last Christmas 2013 and first time to Sandals, Negril this time we went with friends. Best time to go...and do it with friends. Will not regret the memories made there. Our room was nothing to scoff at as it was small and not spectacular...but we don't spend that much time in the room anyway. Staff stood out big time. Shavon who works the main buffet area is simply a treat. He is friendly, will remember your name and always makes sure you are doing OK. I don't have family as good as he is that checked on me as much as he did. This was typical of all the staff though. The sand at the beach was nice. Some parts as you walked out though got mushy under foot as this is the land under foot deteroriating. So I'm told. Currently as I write this review I am staying at Couples, Negril. The sand here is consistent all the way out. It's rippled and nice to walk on everywhere! OK. ..that's another post. The sunsets were some of the best my eyes have seen. There is a nude resort close by called Hedonism, unless you walk over there, which you can clothed, you really don't see much. I did at times find it seemed hard to find a bite to eat at times. I've seen some posts make mention to bed bugs. Never seen them or heard of them there in Negril. Our friends never complained about any either. Cheers my vacationing friends.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank will b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Amazing experience! Well worth it and would recommend to anyone. This was our honeymoon and the service, staff, activities, room, and entire experience was phenomenal. We had the butler service, which we would recommend, specifically for the caliber of the room and for restaurant reservations/excellent tables, which others didn't seem to get. The butlers also reserve your beach chairs/hut w/a cooler at the beach and pool. Great vegetarian food, access at airport, to/from resort. 1.5 hrs. For activities, we loved paddleboard, snorkleing, pool volleyball, sailing.

Especially wonderful staff included the entertainment staff - Willie, Oliver, Aminah. Our butlers, Dwayne S. and Basil, were amazing and and so helpful! The kitchen staff of Wadea and Nana was excellent. We'd actually recommend getting the photography package - we initially thought it's a waste of money, but they are readily available w/o being overbearing and the price is actually worth it. it's much better than trying to constantly take your own pictures. Recommendations for photographers: Andrew, TG (tigiana?), and Keron.

The only negative really, which we already knew about was weak nighttime activities if you're looking for that. The other thing was that the water boat for water sports was down (water skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, etc). Most of the staff didn't communicate this or know that the boat for water activities was down so for awhile we were constantly asking and being given inaccurate info.

P.S - be careful with the butler phone and DON'T lose it or let it get caught in the rain (as we did…there's a fee!).

Service was fantastic and it was VERY clean always. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: would recommend one of the fancier/luxury/butler rooms - well worth it.
1 Thank Prini81
Lawrence, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

As a Travel professional I am blessed to be able to experience such wonderful places & this is surely one of them... The Staff at Club Sandals are fantastic .Always make you feel good.
We changed our room from the 2 level loft suite.( Beautiful ) to a ground floor suite.(Stairs were to much for the person I was traveling with,Our room was right near the Italian Resteraunt. (Cucini Romano ..OMG the food is fantastic & Fabio was so awesome.Great Beach party one night grea food & great fun.
The Bartender Michael was the best always remembered me & what I was drinking..I cannot say enough about the staff they are by far the best staff. I have been to many resorts. & I can Say ALL Sandals resorts have the best staff . If you want a laid back vacation on 1 of Jamaica best beach with Breath taking sunsets,Stay right here at Sandals Negril..You will have the best memories...

Room Tip: They have newly renovated rooms that are Very Modern .you can ask for them
2 Thank jukebox
Abingdon, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I went to Negril this past June. It was quite hot and very humid, though expected. Service was amazing here. Food was amazing. The Italian restaurant and the Barefoot By the Sea were our favorites. This was our second time going to Kimonos. We are still not impressed by Kimonos. It's ok. This was a true relaxing vacation for us. We chose to not do much in the way of excursions and just really relax. Everyday we hung at the pool, had some drinks, had some lunch, and then hung at the pool some more. Then we got showered and ready for dinner and evening entertainments.
We met some fantastic people on this vacation, both guests and employees alike. I need to point out a few people. Our two TOP GUYS were by far Ian and Kieran. They waited on us three nights at the Barefoot, although, after the first night, it was more like they hung out with us. They are both top notch nice guys, great service, wonderful employees, and even better company. Kudos and we miss you guys!
Fabian at the pool bar was a fun guy. Super nice too. Aminah the playmaker is a fun girl too! We saw her everyday at the pool,
We did visit the spa for a couples package while we were there. Andreen and Rochelle were fantastic. We had 50 minute massages and then a hot bubble bath together while they served us champagne, cheesecake, and fruit. We love the free gifts they gave us too. Every time I light my lemongrass candle it reminds me of the Concierge office where they have an espresso machine that you can go use to make yourself a latte anytime!
We did go visit Rick's Café. My husband did the cliff jumping. We had some drinks and watched the sunset. It was nice. We took the $20 bus trip there instead of the catamaran. Those who took the catamaran that night were unable to dock at Rick's and missed out because the water was too choppy. Bus is cheaper and faster too. We made the walk along the beach to Beaches Resort also. Lots of vendors, and they're pushy. Maybe take a cab instead?

Room Tip: The rooms in the Paradise Building are newly remodeled and gorgeous. The balconies have been brought...
1 Thank Kittenfull
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is an overdue review. We stayed at Sandals Negril in October, 2012 for 10 days while Hurricane Sandy came through. Luckily the left side of Jamaica did not get much more than winds and some rain but it did create some rough sea's which preventing us from using some amenities. I will break this down into some categories: Check-In, Room, Food, Entertainment/Nightlife, Pools, Beach, Excursions, Club Service, Check-out, Misc, Final Thoughts.

Check-In: The car ride is about 1.5 hours, it isn't too bad but does get tiring after travel on a plane all day. Upon arrival we received hot towels and were taken to the Club Lounge for check -in with four other couples. We were suppose to receive a private check-in but honestly this did not really bother me . We were given there specialty drink (I believe it was love potion) that was nice after the long ride. While we were there we confirmed our excursions for the week, all though this became an issue because of the hurricane.

Room: We had a Club level Walk-out room in the large white building near Pizza Napoli. This was more than adequate for what we needed. Honestly in our travels since this resort and 2 other sandals properties we feel that the amenities that come with Club/Butler rooms really are not worth the price tag and Luxury rooms are more than enough. The only issue we had was that the A/C had to be fixed to provide more cold air and the cleaning serviced seemed to be inconsistent (two minor things in my book).

Food: I would rate the food here as average-good. We did not eat at Kimono's (though have at other Sandals and it is excellent). The Italian place is different now than when we went in 2012. Bayside is not bad for breakfast or dinner. The Beach grille is great for lunch or late night food (chicken quesadillas are awesome). Pizza Napoli is so good for lunch, I only wish it was open late night. Sundowner was ok/good for dinner. Barefoot had really good steak. I wish I could give more but this is all I can recall right now. Suggestions would be to add a British Pub and Cafe de Paris.

Entertainment/Night-life: We have been to Jamaica, Antigua and the the new Grenada Sandals and of those three Negril had the best entertainment. They really did a great job providing activities during the day at the main pool and finding great talent to showcase at the evenings. The play makers really try hard as well, we left on Halloween and saw them rehearsing there show (I wish we could have seen that). The only place to get a drink at night is the Piano bar, which is ok but if it had British Pub like at other Sandals it would be a great place to gather besides the Piano Bar.

Pools: This is Negrils biggest drawback. We love the big pools and the Sandals Tower pool bars like in Antigua. The main pool in Negril is fairly small and has very limited seating around it so even if you get up early it can be tough to find a good seat. The towels also run out quickly and are not restocked enough to keep up with those at the pool and people on the beach. Due to the space on the Resort I am not sure if there is much that can be done to add another larger pool, perhaps down by the Piano bar where there is some open space.

Beach: The beach is long but very small in thickness so it is very easy for the vendors to heckle you even when you are not on the beach. If you do sit on the beach they will approach to sell things but if you say no thank you they will leave you alone. due to the hurricane the beach was disturbed a bit and we were not allowed to go on it for a day or two. It also meant that activities like kayaks, and the glass bottom boat tour were not running. We were able to do a tube ride one day that was fun.

Excursions: We originally had 5 planned; Horse Back riding, ATV's, 4x4 Saffari, Dolphin Swim and Lovers Sunset Cruise. The Sunset Cruise was refunded because of the Hurricane and we had to move (more on this later) the Dolphin Swim as it was scheduled the day it hit, which was my birthday (the reason for doing this excursion that day). I would not do horseback riding excursion again anywhere as they do not treat them well and when one horse fell trying to get out of the water the workers just laughed. The horses also made an awful sound while "swimming" and I felt very bad for them. ATV's was ok but you had to drive slow and I would have like to had paid more for a smaller group and been allowed to drive faster. 4x4 Safari was awesome, definitely give this a look if you like seeing sites, historical land marks and nature. Dolphin swim was great but for the price I would probably not do it again.

Club Service: With a club level room you get access to the Club Lounge that has staff members that help you with booking restaurants and arranging for excursions. We had a lot of issue with our Dolphin Excursion, 1 because the hurricane forced us to move but 2 because our travel agent had booked us for Ocho Rios instead of Lucy. It took a lot of time sitting in the Lounge to rectify the situation. We were given a free excursion on our next trip so make up for the issues. You also get alcohol in your room which came in handy when we had a hurricane Jacuzzi party the night the hurricane hit as we had been stuck in our rooms all day. Though I would say the alcohol in the room is really not worth the extra room price.

Check-out: This was not bad but because of the drive we had to leave the resort very early breakfast was not open so we only could brad some cereal for the car ride.

Misc: Some other comments; The Photoshop people are like ninja's, they pop out of no where wanting to take your photo's. It got to be difficult just to figure out a way to walk from our room to dinner without having one see you and want to take some shot's and schedule you for a sunset photo shoot.

Final Thoughts: Sandals Negril is a nice resorts but based on other trips to different Sandals properties I would not return as I enjoyed those resorts better. Perhaps in the future if things are added I would consider a return trip as it was my first sandals. Because the entertainment was so good here we are returning to Jamaica to Whitehouse in April 2015.

4 Thank Vaca1019
Duluth, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned Saturday night from a seven day stay at Sandals Negril. It was our first anniversary and we couldn't think of a better place to spend it. This was our first time staying at a Sandals resort so we didn't know what to expect. We were spoiled from the time we stepped off the van until the time we departed. I would even venture to say, I believe we had the best unobstructed view of the beach and the ocean. We were in the Sundowner building with the swim up. Oh wow is all I can say! If you splurge for the butlers swim up, please see if room 6114 is available with Basil and Daron for your butlers. Every time we thought about something, Basil or Daron was there with it. Top notch service. If you are celebrating something special, opt for the candlelight dinner on the beach, you won't regret it. My husband and I started our anniversary day off with a couples massage, what a treat. From the cleanliness to the friendliness, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Sandals!!!

Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's given the location is paradise, but the staff and service were the most outstanding part of our trip.
Here is just a partial list of our new friends that took great care of us:
Shadana
T-Bone
Travees
Tracia
Monique

Thanks and we'll be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,566 reviews

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!