“An Amazing Honeymoon...Perfect!”

Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Negril
White Plains, NY
“An Amazing Honeymoon...Perfect!”
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Shocked to read some of these recent reviews when we thought our stay at this resort was remarkable. Upon arriving at the property, we were greated right off the plane and received free drinks at the Sandals Lounge in Montego Bay. They took care of our bags and I walked onto the van for the 1 hour ride with a beer in hand. The driver was welcoming and the drive was no problem at all since it hugs the coast and was incredibly easy and quick.

Upon our arrival, we were shocked to see that the property is exactly as it appears in the pictures. The pool is beautiful and the lobby is big yet welcoming. We were welcomed by Charlene, our helpful concierge where more drinks and finger foods were available. This was the start of what I believe was continual great service as the staff went out of their way to make our stay that much better.

We stayed in a Beachfront room which I would recommend in that it has conceirge service who plans activities for you. In my opinion, the butlers are not truly that necessary since everything is at your fingertips in the first place. Being on the first floor which is recommended is the way to go since one can walk stright out onto the beach. And the beach is really what you are there for. Now, granted the rooms aren't exactly luxury suites but then again, why would anyone want to be in their room. It's 85 degrees out everything is in reach. But the rooms had a comfortable bed, and the staff was in there twice to make sure it was clean at all times. If you are going to this resort to stay in a five star hotel room, this is not the place for you.

Anyway, the beach chairs were fairly easy to get and we asked the security guard to save us two seats each morning and they had no problem with that. There were other activities to take part in as well..including games by the pool and other sports and recreation games. The best thing that we did without question was purchase a cabana right on the water for 125 dollars that included full butler service from 9 to 9. It was well worth the spoiling. In Miami, this same service would be at least a grand.

We took part in a couple of tours which were cool. We recommend the trip to Ricks cafe which is a must. Though getting a cab there may be a bit cheaper and easier cause you can come and go as you please. We did the river walk as well which was a cool experience with a great lunch. For the experience that is recommended as well.

Our only negatives were the photographers around the resort who constantly ask to take your photo. They are pleasant but they charge an arm and a leg for the pictures. I believe 95 dollars for five pictures was a tad out of control. Also, love to see a bit more activities at the pool with the fitness staff but thats nitpicking.

Other recommendations include getting a night at Kimonos. Ask for Jermaine to cook your food. Man is hysterical and was put on the earth to make you laugh.

Lastly, get to the pool bar and ask for a Jamaican Smile. Andrew is the best waiter there who always has a smile on his face. Then again, everyone does.

We thought it was perfect. Vacation is what you make of it obviously but everything there is so beautiful that I find it impossible to have a bad time.

• Liked — The beach, the service, the staff, the beauty
  • Disliked — the fact that we had to go home to mediocrity
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GCutter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,423)
  • Greek first
NC
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Sandals Negril is a beautiful resort and the staff are very friendly. The purpose of our trip was to renew our vows and spend a romantic 5 days together. Prior to leaving we had upgraded our room to the Honeymoon Concierge Beachfront Walk-out room. I was very excited and could not wait to lay in the bed and listen to the water. When we got to our room they informed us that they upgraded us to the Honeymoon Beachfront Suite. Yes it was a surprise upgrade which came with a bigger room and a spectacular view of the sunsets. I could not hear the water but the view made up for it. After walking by the beachfront rooms I was pleased that I did not get it. There is no privacy unless you are on a higher floor. If you get the Honeymoon suites in section 7 of the site map, please be aware that there is no glass on the windows in the bathroom which are near the street. So you hear traffic noise which really takes away from the peaceful atmosphere. It also allows bugs to crawl into the room. This is one reason why I gave it a 4. The other reasons were the uneven sidewalks and lawn and steps which someone could easily trip over...especially after a few drinks. The lack of water pressure in the sink and the concierge checkout was disorganized. Other than that this is a beautiful resort with beautiful people.

• Liked — The view of the ocean and sunset
  • Disliked — Traffic noise and uneven sidewalks/landscaping
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank ParadiseNeeded
Leigh, Lancashire, England
Reviewed 13 January 2009

This was fantastic from when we arrived to when we left.
We booked for 14 nights, I wish we could have booked for 40!!
forget some of the negative comments on here, just go and enjoy.
Fantastic beach - white sand/blue sea, what more do you want.
Fantastic restaraunts (6 in total, everyone is different but very good)
Fantastic service (Jamaicans are great, no problem mon!)
Fantastic room (only a room, but what a room!)
Fantastic weather (rained for just 1/2 hour on last day only)
and a Fantastic wedding,many thanks to wedding coordinator Sharmaine, Food and Drink service Gwayne and Photoman Jermaine for making our day very special.

• Liked — the bed, it was massive!
  • Disliked — there was nothing we did not like
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Geoffw6
ontario
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This was the worst trip I have ever had,from the moment we arrived to the morning we left nothing went right. Every offsite trip is overpriced ,Call Ricks cafe and they will send a FREE ride to the hotel instead of paying $20 per person . The butler service was non exisitant, cell phones were promised and not delivered till the day before we left. The General Manager Winston Anderson was no help I spoke with him twice trying to correct things to no avail.Our bar in our suite was not refilled , we had to request new glasses they took away and to top everything off my wife contacted a infectious skin rash from the jacuzzi in our suite. I did not because I was already on anti-biotics from the resort doctor for food poisioning i got from under cooked eggs at the resort breakfast bar. Any compenstion from management was a joke , same as if we were to rebook a vaction with the resort.there were also other problems . The only highlight was the scuba diving. We were told by other guest that there furniture in the lofts are not the same as seen in the pictures of the resort .bait and switch??. we were not the only couple that was having problems in the higher end suites. A side conversation with one butler (off the record) stated that "problems were more the "norm" than the exception at this resort.

• Liked — looks of suite had a wow factor but that was all
  • Disliked — too many to list.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank OntarioDiver
Madison, WI
Reviewed 12 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Negril for six nights in December 2008. Although our trip was nice, we both agreed that we probably wouldn't go back. As an avid review reader (I must have checked this website every other day until we left for vacation!) I thought I should add my own two cents regarding what to expect (this is a long review!).

We did really like our room. We originally booked a Honeymoon Luxe Beachfront room. A couple weeks before our trip we got an email offer to upgrade to the Beachfront Luxe Concierge room for $200 (total, not per night). Since this upgrade was so cheap and bumped us up to the concierge/roomservice/wet bar in room level, we decided to do it and were happy we did. The room was large and nice, bar was stocked with wine, soda, water, beer, liuor every day. We had a balcony with a table and chairs that was right on the beach - it was gorgeous!!! We ate breakfast there almost every day. Yes, room service is VERY slow, but we just worked around it. As soon as we woke up we would call and order breakfast, then we'd shower and ger ready for the day and by that time our breakfast was there. It might sound silly, but seriously, that balcony was one of the most peaceful, relaxing parts of our trip! We did enjoy having the concierge service although it's probably not really necessary. But, they were very helpful and we never had a problem getting a hold of them when we wanted them for anything.

I thought the food and drinks were pretty good, my husband thought the food was just ok. We did not like the food at the beach buffet and wish we would have eaten somewhere else, although the rest of the beach party was fun. Yes, the service (especially at dinner) was pretty slow, but we didn't have the same problem that a lot of other reviews have complained about (we got refills when we needed them, etc. ). Also, we never waited more than one minute to get seated for dinner, so there were no long lines when we were there. I enjoyed all of the drinks except the wine which they water down. One night at dinner I think they accidentally watered it down twice and it was really disgusting.

The entertainment was just ok. I liked the entertainment staff a lot and they did try to get guests involved with games, shows, etc. But, honestly, what I would have enjoyed more would be watching some entertainment (like a professional show) rather than having to constantly provide the entertainment. Again, it's not that it was bad, it just could have been better.

One of the most annoying things to us was the situation that most reviews talk about with the floaties and chairs. We didn't have a problem getting a chair, but getting a chair with an umbrella is hard and you do have to get up early. It was a constant irritation to see all the chairs and floaties in teh shade that sat empty all day! It seems that for the price we're all paying that sandals could at least afford to purchase one floatie per guest. We did get up early one morning to reserve shaded chairs/floaties, but it was totally not worth it because then we couldn't get back to sleep and were both tired all day. Plus, it was kind of windy that day so we decided we would rather sit at the pool, and then there were no good chairs there! So it just feels kind of annoying that you have to do so much advanced planning on vacation rather than just going with the flow.

We thought that the staff were all very nice and the service was good. They really do respond well when you take an interest in them and ask them questions about themselves, Jamaica, etc. I was concerned that tipping would be an issue, but we never felt obligated to give tips, nor did we see anyone else giving tips. I did not find the spa ladies and drug dealers as bothersome as some other reviews. One thing that did bother me was the constant pressure to come back for another vacation (especially from the concierge and entertainment staff). Constant pressure to return seems like a complete wast of time to me because if I have a fantastic time on my vacation of course I will return whether you pressure me or not. It made many of the interactions with certain staff feel very insincere.

Overall, after visiting the resort I am surprised how many people give this place a perfect score in their reviews. When I was reading the reviews before my trip, I didmissed the negative ones as people who are just difficult or impossible to please or who have ridiculously high standards. But, now that I've been there, I think that the reviews that say the resort is nice, but not great are really the most accurate. To me, when a review gives a resort five stars, it implies that there is not really anything that needs to be impvoed, and I just don't think perfection is that common or that easy. I am glad that we went and it really was a nice trip in a beautiful place, but in the future, I think we'll try somewhere new and see if we can do better. When our friends ask us if they should go to Sandals Negril, we tell them all the things I put in this review and tell them that they'll have a good time, but for us it was not a dream vacation.

Stayed December 2008
13 Thank islandvaca
montreal
Reviewed 11 January 2009

I am used to 5 stars all inclusive resorts but it was a first for me and my girlfriend at a Sandal's resort. My expectations were high since we paid a little more than what we are use to.

So we arrived at Sandal's Negril on the 3rd of January. I had booked a Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront Concierge Room and we were upgraded to Honeymoon Beachfront One Bedroom Loft Suite with Butler Service. So far so good.

But even with the upgrade we were so disapointed by the rooms - tiny and outdated furniture except for the LCD TV but it just made everything else look even more out of date, worn off beds, terrible bathrooms (one night was enough for us), tiny bathtub, 5 coats of paint and big neon right in your face - that after on day we actually asked to be moved to the more modern section of the resort - Sundowner or plantation building.

The staff was very cooperative and the next day we visited suites in both buildings. They are amazing and now we were even more convinced that the old part of the resort is really outdated and not worth the money they charge for it. So they offered us to pay a premium of 325$ USD a day to switch to those rooms. Considering that I already paid 6000 $ CAD, I would end up with a 8300 $ CAD, not a great deal for a one week vacation. So we asked to switch to a more modern near by Sandal's resort and they suggested us the Sandal's Whitehouse. Again the staff was very collaborative (tks to Janelle - tour desk).

So we grabbed our luggage, took a taxi and off we were to the Sandal's Whitehouse. After that I have to say that we were fully satisfied with our room and the resort, being more what we expected for a 5 star all inclusive resort. The rest of our vacation was great.

I understand that the quality of service might be what puts Sandal's appart from other resort but this cannot be used as an excuse for out of date furniture, rooms, bathrooms. Again if you stay at Negril in the luxurious modern suites that won't be a problem, if you can afford the 1,000 USD per night.

So if you go to a Sandal's resort, first ask how old is the resort. Whitehouse is about 4 years old and is great. Negril is about 20 years old and it shows...it does not meet today's 5 star all inclusive standards.

• Liked — Staff service
  • Disliked — Outdated rooms/furniture
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank beach_resort_hopper
Toronto, On
Reviewed 11 January 2009

It was our 8th time at a Sandals Resort. By far this was like being with the best family you could imagine. The warmth you received was just unbelievable. It was difficult saying goodbye 'till next year. We WILL be returning next winter, hopefully for 2 weeks. Sandals has always been our favorite place. So far we have had friends who feel the same way as we do, and have returned again and again, on our recommendation. We could not recommend Sandals anymore than we do. We have been to St. Lucia (2) Antiqua, Cuba, Jamaica (4), Negril is our favorite.

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank mommy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#8 of 81 in Negril
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!