“GORGEOUS Property, WONDERFUL Staff!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We just returned from Beaches Negril (Dec. 16-22). We have boy/girl twins age 8. This was our first experience at an "all-inclusive" resort. I read several reviews of the resort before traveling and I have to say I was a bit concerned about what we would find. Most concerns were unfounded.

Upon arrival at the airport, we were met by Beaches staff, relieved of our luggage (huge bonus) and offered a clean and welcoming lounge where we could use the restroom and get a beverage. We had just enough time to do both, when we were told that our transportation to the resort was ready. We were escorted to a small bus and were on our way. We did not have to touch our luggage again until we arrived at the airport for our departure:)

The ride to the resort took about 90 minutes. I found the trip quite enjoyable (you can take cocktails obtained at the airport lounge on the bus - huge bonus for mom:). The driver was friendly and responsive to our collective desire to forgo a stop in order to arrive at the resort more quickly. The countryside and small towns we passed on the way gave our family a glimps into the "real" Jamaica. It was very important to me that my children understand how people really live in Jamaica and that our luxury resort is certainly NOT the norm. This truly instilled a sense of empathy and appreciation in my children toward the staff.

Once we arrived at the resort we were absolutely blown away in almost every way! The "lobby" is beautiful. We were warmly greeted by friendly and professional staff. True to their word, we had NO WORRIES MON! We had a cool drink while the staff checked us into our room. We were escorted to our room and our luggage arrived 5 minutes later. We were at the beach 10 minutes later with a pina colada in our hands and my son was munching on a pizza at Dino's by the pool.

We booked the least expensive double option and could not have been more pleased with our accomodations. We were originally assigned room 220, but were changed to room 912, which I believe was an upgrade b/c of the fact that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday. Our room was a standard double which had an ocean view and backed to the resort next door. As I understand our original room (before the upgrade) would have overlooked the road. Being the curious (nosey) person I am, I did go check out the location of our original room. Although it may be considered a "road" view, there was NO way you could see the road through the thick/lush folliage. I'm sure room 220 would have been delightful as well. The housekeeping staff was spot on! Our room was serviced early in the day and the turn down service was a nice touch. There were only a few negatives about the room. One, the refridgerator needed replacing (the door to the freezer was broken off and it didn't get very cold). Also, we did not pay for consierge or butler service and therefore were unable to order room service. We are huge fans of room service, so that was kind of a bummer. You can still do your own "take-away" from most of the restaurants. Also, beer is not stocked in the room fridge. Just juice and pop. I would have really enjoyed a cold beer while sitting on the balconey of my room. Finally, the resort next door can be VERY loud from about 8-11PM. It really didn't bother us b/c we have older children who actually enjoyed falling asleep to the music.

The resort grounds and beach are absolutely gorgeous! Any negatives absolutely melt away when you look out at the lush/fragrant foliage and white sand and azure water! The beach/water is clean, warm, and crystal clear. There are PLENTY of chairs, although if you want a specific spot, you may need to throw a towel and pair of flip flops on chair early in the am. The one negative with regard to the grounds are the bees! My son is deathly afraid of bees and they were very obnoxious. No stings - thank goodness! The vendors on the beach can be obnoxious as well. However, this is part of the culture and most were very friendly and left after a simple "No thank you." We had NO problems with mosquitoes as other have mentioned. We didn't even see one mosquito while we were there. We also had no problem with sand fleas. I'm sorry I took $40 worth of bug spray, it was not needed!

The staff was absolutely, above and beyond WONDERFUL. Every single peson we came in contact with was OUTSTANDING! Most of the staff knew our family by name after the first day. Our family became especially close to Marlin, Opal, Cleopatra, Alicia, and Dian (at the Red Line Spa). Marlin was especially wonderful to us. He made sure my husband had the best 50th birthday and when my son was sick (ear infection), he asked about him with a caring and sincerity that was so touching. In addition, Opal even gave my husband the recipe for a "Jamaican" remedy for my son's cold:) I just can't say enough about the staff!!!

The kid's activities are excellent. The XBOX Game Garage was a God send once my son got sick. He didn't feel well enough to swim, but he could sit in the cool air and play games to his heart's content. (Don't worry parents, I made him use hand sanitzer to keep others from catching his cold!) The glass bottom boat ride was fun and the staff is sure to provide a variety of activities that interest kids of all ages.

So after all this gushing, I'm sure you must think that I work for Beaches..... There are a few negatives. The biggest disappointment was the food. The only good food we had was at Kimono's, Dino's pizza, and the Jamaican Patty at the Carnival Cafe. The Mill (buffet) was hit or miss - mostly miss. The eggs must have been powdered, the juices were not fresh and tasted like flavored juice drinks with corn syrup, and everything was bland, tough, and greasey. We stuck with cereal, toast, cheese, salami, and pasta. I was very disappointed that there wasn't more traditional Jamaican cuisine. I mean, Jamaican food ROCKS! Why wouldn't they showcase it? The burgers, dogs, fries, etc.... were all good at the Carnival Cafe. We only ate at Arizona's (the Tex Mex place) once and it was aweful. I had a steak, that honestly I could barely cut and which hurt my jaw to chew! Stewfish was good, but not great. However dining on the beach under the stars with my family is a memory I will always treasure! Once again, the staff was phenominal. The other disappointment was the quality of the fruit juices used in the cocktails. Although this did not deter my husband and I from consuming many pina coladas during our stay. I was hoping for fresh pineapple, strawberries, etc.....

Another negative as the photo shop. We had about a hundred photos taken during our stay. I was so looking forward to seeing them and planned to purchase many. However, when I went into the photo shop to view them, the lines were 4-5 people deep. I returned later and found the same crowds waiting to view their photos. I was not willing to give up hours of my precious vacation to view photos. Unfortunately Beaches does not have a system to view these photos on the TV in your room or even from your computer once you get home. I'm so sad that those photos are gone forever!

Now I'm getting picky...... the pools could have been about 10 degrees warmer, the hot tubs were usually cold or did not "bubble", more towels by the pools and beach, the PUTT PUTT Golf is substandard, and the service charge at the Red Line Spa was excessive and mysterious.

Overall, this was a wonderful vacation and I would recommend to families with children. We look forward to returning to Beaches Negril soon:)

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade upon arrival.
1  Thank Katy K
There are newer reviews for Beaches Negril Resort & Spa

Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed at Beaches Negril earlier this month for our beachside wedding! The entire staff was so awesome and hospitable! Especially Courtney, who was the first person we met when we got there, and Avia Lewis, our wedding captain! From Courtney making sure the air conditioning got fixed in my mom's room to bringing my daughter a plate of food one night when she was sick, he went above and beyond to make our stay a great one!

Our beachside wedding would have been awesome without her (how bad could a beachside wedding be?!?), but Avia made it even better! As soon as we met her my husband and I felt very comfortable with her and we shared many laughs! From following through on her promise to bring Sam a Red Stripe as he was getting ready to walk down the aisle to arranging our beautiful breakfast in bed the next morning, she definitely made a huge difference in our experience!

We stayed at Beaches Negril the first 5 days of our trip and transferred to Sandals Negril for the last 5. Sandals was great, but I would vote for going back to Beaches Negril again, even without the kids. We can't wait to go back and see Courtney and Avia again!! :)

Reviewed 27 December 2011

The most memorable event of our trip was a dinner at the Kimono restaurant. Our cook, Mickedo sang while he cooked and his "show" was the best at the resort. Our kids had so much fun they wanted to stay for another meal just to continue the show. The entire staff that took care of us that night, Dahlia, Jason, Koyalin, and Monique) were fun and entertaining as well as outstanding at their job. The resort was obviously designed for families with children. The kids area is setup so that from one central area they have access to food, soda, sweets, water park, basketball, and the beach. The resort inclusions are numerous, in great working order, and well organized. There are enough activities at the resort to keep kids of any age busy for many days.

Reviewed 24 December 2011

We just returned from beaches Negril (dec 16-23). We have four boys, ages 1, twin 3 year olds and a 13 year old. This was our first trip to an all inclusive so I don't have allot to compare to but overall we had a great week. The staff were so friendly and so good to our children, often helping us out at meal times when the kids were being a handful. The staff in general are warm, caring and accommodating. The resort met all of our expectations and the beach is amazing. The beach cabanas are well worth the extra cost if you have young children. There is a wide variety of food and mostly it was very good, you will never go hungry. Drinks are excellent, no skimping on liquor. We felt very safe letting our thirteen year old wander the resort, very safe and lots of security. Evening entertainment was usually great family shows, the kids loved seeing the sesame street crew. The Thursday night beach party was a great way to spend our last night.
Our complaints are few but, the resort was busy and restaurant reservations and snorkeling reservations were hard to get, you had better be in line at 8am. Gift shop was expensive so bring all your children's beach toys from home. Bring some cash as there is no ATM on site, going downtown is a pain. It is really nice that no tipping is allowed, you don't have to carry any money on you.
All in all, we would go back, the staff were great and treated us and most importantly our kids like gold!

• Stayed: December 2011
10  Thank Mitchco12
Reviewed 24 December 2011

The beautiful beaches and waters were outstanding. The staff are so friendly, it was very relaxing. The dive shop/ water sports were excellent, we spent most of our time here. Julian and Craig were both fantastic with our boys, 11 & 13 as this was their first dive. The reef is beautiful, the water is warm the atmosphere is calm. The security on the beach is great, you really are not pestered, an occasional "jet ski, mon?", is about it. A simple "no thank you" and they are gone. The beach is never crowded, I don't understand why people come to such a beautiful place to hang out at the pool, but they do. If you want to relax and watch the waves roll in and the sun go down, this is it. My only negative was there isn't alot for the adults to do after the sun goes down, but by then you are pretty tired anyway.

Room Tip: 600 block of rooms face the beach and are awesome!
2  Thank chris m
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We just spent the last 8 days at Beaches Negril with my husband and 3 children (girls ages 4, 5 &7). We have been to Club Med Ixtapa with the family 2 times in the past. We like the idea of an all inclusive family vacation so we wanted to try Beaches. Here is my review.

FOOD: Advantage Club Med!!!!!
The food at Beaches Negril was not very good. We were told by numerous travel agents that Beaches was a 'step-up' in quality over Club Med. NOT TRUE. Club Med has much better food. In Beaches, the breakfast was the best they had to offer. Good omelettes. But, the dinners were horrible. The restaurants were SLOW. For expample, we had 6:45 reservations for Kimonos and arrived on time. We didn't even get seated until 7:30. No food until 8. We tried all the restaurants and were not impressed with any of them. Club Med food is much much better.

ROOMS: Close, but, advantage Club Med.
The rooms in Beaches Negril are decorated nicely and they were clean. We had a suite with concierge service (worth it). But, all 5 of us were in the same room. So, no privacy. For a suite at Club Med you get a door to separate you and the kids. The rooms in Club Med probably aren't as fancy, but, that door sure was nice. So, I give the advantage to Club Med.

ACTIVITIES: Club Med by a landslide.
The activities at Club Med are amazing. They are on time and taught by instructors who enjoy working with kids/adults and make the whole experience FUN. Our experience at Beaches was not like this at all.
- Watersports: Beaches watersports guys were rude, late and their gear didn't work well. They did have stand-up paddle boards, but, noone can use them yet. (why? I don't know)
They had 1 sailboard with a 3.5 sail. The other sails were too big for the boards. So, that meant 1 windsurfer for the whole hotel?!?!? There was noone around to give instruction. So, there was always someone getting stuck way down the beach. The waterski boat would have to go rescue them.
The waterskiing was a similar problem. The boat for Beaches Negril wasn't working well enough to pull a slalom skier. So, they wanted you to just knee board or use two skis. Well, that's boring if you know how to ski!!!! So, there was always a bunch of ticked-off skiers. The whole experience was very frustrating. Not luxurious, not good customer service. Beaches Negril REALLY needs to do something about how poorly run the watersports is at this hotel!!!!

Doing water sports at Club Med was always a fun experience with knowledgeable, helpful instructors. The gear would work.

- Scuba: Beaches Negril did seem to do the scuba well. Everyone seemed pleased and the instructors seemed knowledgeable.

- Snorkeling: Beaches Negril did do snorkeling well. The boats worked and they were on time, friendly.

KIDS CLUB: Advantage Club Med!!
At Club Med the Kids Club is full of kids. They learn hip-hop dances that they perform on stage after dinner. They meet lots of friends and the kids have tons of fun.

At Beaches Negril there aren't that many kids that go to the kids club during the day (however more do go at night in Negril). So, the kids didn't have fun in the Club. Further, the instrucor in the 5-7 age group from Dec. 15-18 was not energetic or fun to be around. The schedule showed 'hula hoop contest' at 2:30. My 7 yr old loves to hula hoop. So, we all left the beach and went to the kids club for the hula hoop contest and my kids were the only ones there. The Kids Klub instructor handed the kids some hula hoop and went back to playing with her phone. Not fun.

BOTTOM LINE: We were all much more impressed with the quality of all of the services at Club Med.

However, I do want to note that we liked Jamaica. The beach was gorgeous. The water was lovely. The island was beautiful. The airport was easy. The cab drivers were kind and funny. We left the resort to go to watch the cliff divers at Rick's Cafe in Negril. This was super fun. Our 5 and 7 yr old even jumped off the cliff into the deep water. Kind of crazy but a fun and memorable experience.

Room Tip: Don't get a room closest to the Couples resort....it has a very loud bar. Check Google Maps be...
21  Thank tresgirls
Reviewed 22 December 2011

it was quite some time ago that we last vacationed in Jamaica and I was concerned about the "Jamaica time" service and the persistent vendors. I can't say all hotels in Jamaica have solved these issues but Beaches Negril has. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The hotel was 95% booked and service delays were minimal. Yes there are vendors on the beach peddling shells, cigars, beads and music but generally they keep their position at the high tide mark and don't venture onto the main beach and "no thank you" was well understood to be no.Lots of variety in the food ,quality was very good. Theme restaurants were reserved day of so you didn't have to book the moment you arrived or get all 9pm sittings.No tiny glasses for beer or drinks so you didn't need to bring your thermos bottles! Room was clean, everything worked, maid serve was good.. We were there for a family function that included young people so the family resort format was a requirement even though our children are older. It was still a very good vacation and well run resort. However a word of caution...I originally booked the rooms directly...don't do that...customer service over the phone while polite was horribly inefficient..took 3 hours to make changes that could have been done in 5 minutes.. Thankfully, the resort staff had no such problems.

1  Thank mikebcanada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!