“We had a Great Time!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“We had a Great Time!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

Hi, my husband, 5 yr old son and I just got back from Beaches Negril (we were there from April 12th - 16th, 2008). Because of all the mixed reviews that are available on the internet about Jamaica as well as the resort, we weren't really sure of what to expect with the cleanliness of the resort, the people in Jamaica, the weather, the mosquitoes, the food etc etc. I will try to be as honest as possible in my review.

First of all, after an 8 hour flight from Calgary to Montego-Bay, we were pleasantly surprised to be directed to a Sandals/Beaches lounge at the Mo-Bay airport that was stocked with fresh fruit, drink and beer while the porters took our luggage to the bus. We were then driven to our resort Beaches Negril (1.5 hour drive from airport, but very scenic and comfortable in an air conditioned bus!). The check-in process was very efficient and we were upgraded to an ocean-view room (without even asking for it). The room had 2 twin beds, was quite spacious and well decorated. The bathroom was clean although not quite up to the standards that we see in Canada/America. No complaints though, as it was clean (I'm picky so I'd tell you if I wasn't happy!!).
The pool at Beaches Negril is beautiful although it isnt temperature controlled, so if you go in a cooler month then it might be a challenge to get in the water :) We were lucky to have great weather....29 degrees C and there was a wind blowing constantly so it was just right! The people at hte resort are EXTREMELY HOSPITABLE, so I'd rank it as a 3 or 4 star resort with 5 star (or 7 star) service! The restaurants are quite nice although you'd probably get bored with them after 3-4 days (we feasted on the spicy Jamaican food at the Mo-Bay airport on our way back to Canada as the resort food is more 'tourist friendly' :) The ITalian restaurant at Beaches Sandy Bay is really nice and we went there twice for dinner (5 minute bus ride, and there's a shuttle from Beaches Negril every 30 minutes).
My husband and I loved the snorkelling experience (our first time)....the ocean was so nice and warm and the brightest aqua/teal color possible! HEAVENLY! My husband took the resort scuba training $70 and went on the scuba dive (30 ft) the next day but he got very sick and his ears couldnt adjust to the pressure.....he says he'll never scuba dive again! :)
Our 5 yr old son LOVED the kids camp. They had different activitities every hour and some of them included splashing around in the kids pool, cooking with cookie monster, art and craft, aerobics, learning about alphabets etc etc. He loved camp, although one of the other parents was complaining that the staff aren't as careful as they need to be (her son walked out of camp towards the pool and no one noticed,,,,luckily she and her husband were right around the corner luckily to stop him from walking straight into the pool)!!! The staff members were very apologetic of course.
My son loved the Xbox garage....really nice and airconditioned with 20-30 Xbox consoles...each with a different game.
The spa was nice, although the hot stone pedi on the rocks was over-priced in my opinion. I paid $95 USD + $10 tip for something that woul;d've costed me $60 or so in Canada. I LOVED the West Indian Massage though.....they use a lot of stretches and overall I thought the massage was better than any massage I've received in Canada! Again over priced at $180!! If you want to get your hair done at the spa, NICOLE is excellent!
Most of the watersports (that are included) such as banana boat etc are not for kids under the age of 7 yrs, so my son couldnt really benefit from any of those. He just seemed to be really happy in the pool, making sand castles on the beach and at camp! They have a really nice swim-up bar in the pool and since we don't drink alcohol we enjoyed their milk shakes and fruit drinks (mostly made with fresh fruit such as pineapple, papaya, banana etc or fruit nectar if its off season). Very nice.
We had to purchase benedryl for our son's bug bite, as well as Advil and both were well priced at the gift shop..only $3 or so higher than Canada.
Every night there was a different show in the auditorium....circus, reggae dancing, sesame street characters etc....our son loved the shows.
During hte day, there was pool aerobics in the water, beach volleyball, billiards, table tennis etc etc - never a dull moment.

Overall, I LOVED my experience at Beaches Negril. I wasn't that impressed by Beaches Sandy Bay though as its a smaller resort so I'd highly recommend Negril instead.

Jet ski's etc - there were locals (not employed by Beaches) who were willing to make deals as low as $25 for 30 minutes on the jet skis! Also, we strolled outside the Beaches security gate on the beach and there were locals offering braiding services for $25 (as opposed to $80 in the spa) and even quick foot massages for $10-$15. They were harmless and we felt very safe, although I would't go there after dark.

If you have any further questions re Beaches Negril, feel free to email me at trupti_21@hotmail.com.

Enjoy :)

• Liked — Great activities for kids. Nice beach, Beautiful weather.
  • Disliked — Washrooms need updating (in bedrooms)
6 Thank SUNSHIINETRAVELLER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2008

In the weeks that lead up to our trip to Negril, I regularly read the reviews on this site and was startled at the number of negative entries. After having prepayed a substantial sum for this journey, i feared the worst based on the mixed commentary.

After having just returned home I have reached a solid conclusion - that there are far more wining, sniveling people in the world than i ever imagined. I simply can't fathom how anyone could create a negative experience out of this beautiful place and hospitable staff.

My wife and our four boys (ages 13, 11, 7, and 5) have not stopped talking about the week we spent there. My older boys made fast freinds with band of like-aged kids and collectively made their own fun most of the time (even taking themselves to kimono's for lunch without adults one day). The younger boys went back and forth between the beach, pools, water slides and lazy river non stop and literally fell into bed every night after dinner.

The beach is every bit as amazing as many of the reviews made it out to be. We water skiied, sailed, and kayaked every day, with the exception of one where it was too windy and the waves were a bit rough (which provided great fun for ocean swimming though)

O.k., let's talk food. Jean-Georges it's not. What it is is thoughtfully prepared, high-quality, locally influenced cuisine that is served in a variety of settings. I really liked the buffet setting, outdoors, under a roof alongside a large pool. At every meal there were piles of fresh local fruit and vegetables (try the steamed kalaloo for breakfast and DON'T miss the fresh mango). The Jerk chicken and pork were not like any American version I've ever tried -just awesome. And hands down, Blue Mountain coffee is the best I've ever tried.

Most of the food complaints on this site were written by people with little imagination or sense of adventure in my opinion. If you spent your vacation eating pasta and chicken fingers, too bad for you.

Lastly, the service was awesome. To my way of thinking there is an unwritten contract in this regard. Go to Jamaica and imerse yourself in the natural beauty and soak up the naturally hospitable culture. Show a sense of respect for all that makes it special. In return for the right attitude, visitors are treated like freinds visiting good friends. For me, the staff at this resort went beyond the call of duty to make sure I was comfortable, safe, and most of all that my family and I were having a blast. What more could I have asked for?

Stayed April 2008
17 Thank chevylevy
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

Like many others I read the reviews and went with a very open mind. We were a family of 4 (2 sons ages 4 and 8). Overall, it was an okay experience. I guess I just expected so much more. Jamaica is beautiful and most of the staff is helpful. Arrival at resort was choatic and no one knew really what was going on and no staff was really helpful with instructions. Because of the type of room we had we were not even supposed to go in the Great Room, we were supposed to go to a "special suite"' and wait. No big deal, just the staff acted like we were supposed to already know this. The whole check-in was confussing, no instructions just everyone looking at each other asking what are we supposed to be doing? This changed of course once we were moved to the "special suite". We had a conceirge suite which was nice, bathroom needed some touch up. Tub and shower had seen better days. Food at resort was okay. Can not say that we ate anywhere where the food was outstanding. We arrived on a Saturday and resort was not very full, but it seemed staff was not as enthusiastic as they were when Monday came and resort started filling up. When we arrived on Saturday the pool area by the waterpark was a mess, empty cups and plates everywhere just didn't seem that the effort was as much until there was more patrons. Also because of having a suite we had turn down service (which we didn't use due to youngest one being worn out by that time) that did not start being offered until Monday evening. The kids camp, my 8 year old loved, wanted to be there all day so he could play with his new friends. My 4 year old just was not into it. The staff for the kids camp was a mixed lot, some were really friendly and some just didn't seem like they wanted to be bothered with you. The supervision at times I felt was kinda lax, my 8 year old was allowed to roam some on his own (go to xbox station, get drinks etc). We were in the Xbox station with our youngest and my 8 year old shows up with no counselor, now he is a good kid and will not wander I just don't know if it is done with everyone. The fitness center has a lot of broken equipment and could use some sprucing up. It is outdoors and there is nothing to clean equipment off with after use, so everyones sweaty bodies all over equipment and nothing to clean it off with. Overall, it was an okay trip but do not feel that it was worth the money we paid for it. We never had problems finding chairs or towels or using any of the facilities. I just believed we expected more for an all inclusive and this being our first time to one.

• Liked — The great weather we had.
  • Disliked — The sometimes poor service.
2 Thank Militarygal
Modesto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

I just returned from Beaches Negril with my parents. While I was there I turned 29. I chose Beaches because my parents have been to Sandals Negril before and loved it, but unfortunately we couldn't go there because it's for couples only.

Beaches Negril is a great place for families. All the children that I saw seemed to be having the time of their life! We even saw kids crying when there parents picked them up from the kids camp because they wanted to stay with the Beaches staff. What's also nice is there's two pools so most of the kids tend to be over by the waterslides and the kids pool. I would definately take my niece and nephew here.

As far as the service goes I was a little dissapointed. I usually travel to Cancun and stay at the Palace resorts who treat me like royalty. Here you still are treated above average but I expected more for the money we spent to stay there. Many of the people who worked there didn't seem happy. But would you if you weren't aloud to accept tips for your hard work and you hardly got paid anything in the first place while everyone being spoiled and getting whatever they want! We should all feel lucky for the life we have back at home even though it can be stressful at times.

Some of the staff to look out for would be bartenders Renato and Clifton. Renato has to be the funniest guy in the place and Clifton is the one who always has a smile on his face! Revon, Ned, and Adrian all seemed like good guys too. Then there's Nashville, he works at a couple of the restaurants, he goes out of his way to know the guests. Michael from the spa is great. Our housekeeper was even a sweetheart and she's worked at the hotel for 10 years! But most importantly you should definately take advantage of the sunset photography session with Eaton. (You can request him) He's a sweetheart and the photos that he can capure are amazing and a great keepsake of the trip!

A couple of tips: mesquitos are very bad there so either take OFF with you or you can buy it in the gift shop, the Japanese restaurant has the best food and service but you need to call first thing in the morning the day before for reservations, the beds are the most UNCOMFORTABLE beds (you sometimes can feel the springs and they make a lot of noise any time you move), it's a waste to order the birthday cakes there because they tend to be very dry and the price is ridiculous for what you get, don't waste your money on the palm reader, make sure you go to the beach party and check to see what night it will be, and also take plain white t-shirts with you if you want to do tie-dye otherwise you have to buy them in the store.

Overall I would love to go back, especially if I had kids with me to enjoy all the activities. This wasn't the best place for my age group but I still had a relaxing and wonderful vacation for 11 days!

• Liked — The scenary and the staff I mentioned earlier.
  • Disliked — The service for the price paid.
  • Stayed April 2008
2 Thank Bubbles0565
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

Just spent a wonderful week at the beautiful Beaches Negril resort. We were fortunate to have great weather. All-inclusive is definitely the way to vacation ie., no worries, just enjoy yourselves. The staff and service was excellent. Everyone is so friendly, always smiling and happy. A great resort for families...activities for all age groups including those difficult teenagers. Our 8 year old had a blast. The water park has two awesome slides and a lazy river. The food and dining was above average too with a good selection. A plus was being able to dine at the close by Beaches Sandy Bay resort for free. So much to do or do nothing but relax if you choose. Rooms were average but the resort was just so much fun. Take your sunblock and lots of mosquito repellent. We were prepared! Irie. DDBGTGI

• Liked — Great staff and service,soft white sand beach,the pools and waterpark
  • Disliked — mosquitoes, distance from the airport
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank docino
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2008

Came home with horrible bed bug bites. Disappointed in the service, facility, and food. Been to Beaches Boscobel two years ago and found it to be much better as far as entertainment, food, and service. Will not go back to Beaches Negril!

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs, Service, Food
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank L0veJamaica
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2008

We stayed 5 days and 4 nights at Beaches Negril and enjoyed every minute of it, the only problem we had is we wished we could have stayed 5 more!!!! The rooms were immaculate and the staff was GREAT!!! It seemed as if the staff (or anyone for that matter) could not do enough for you, they were soooo accomodating. The food and entertainment was wonderful, not to mention the pool and the watersports....I could go on and on. My husband and I have visited Sandals Resorts twice now, and highly recommend them, you won't find better service or ammenties at any other resort. If you have not been, you won't be disappointed....and if you are looking to book a trip with Sandals or Beaches, don't hesitate or wonder, go with confidence and exictement.......I GIVE BEACHES AND SANDALS AT THE VERY MINIMUM 5 STARS AND IF IT WERE POSSIBLE I WOULD GIVE THEM 10 PLATINUM STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — kids had things to do and parents too...both could go and have a piece of paradise.....
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!!!!
6 Thank roynvicky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 84 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,434 reviews

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!