“Beautiful resort, A++ staff, but be careful for your wedding/vow renewal”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I and our 2 sons, 11 and 4, spent a week there in July, 2012. We chose this resort because we were married at a Sandals in Jamaica and wanted to return with our sons and renew our wedding vows. I waited this long to write this review so that I could write it without emotion, and I can honestly say that our stay there was overwhelmingly positive, with one very dark cloud (that I'll discuss at the end of the review.)
First, the positives. From the moment we reached the Sandals/Beaches lounge at the airport with complimentary snacks & cold beer on tap, we were treated like royalty. When we arrived at the resort after the long bus ride, we were greeted with cool cloths for our heads and rum punch to quench our thirst and taken to the concierge lounge and made comfortable while we were checked in. On that note, we highly recommend getting at least a concierge level room, as the concierge was so helpful in making reservations for us and being a "point person" on about anything we needed. We also enjoyed the reception in the concierge lounge,

We were very happy with our room, which was a Beachfront suite, with a king-sized bed for us and a pull-out sofa for our boys. The concierge kept our refrigerator stocked with all the drinks we requested.

We ate most of our meals in the Mill, since it was buffet-style, and there was something for everyone. The menu was varied every night. We tried every restaurant except Kimono's and loved each and every one and found service to be fine.

One of the biggest highlights of the trip was the Kids' Club. Our boys begged to go there every day and stay as long as possible. They loved the staff & all the organized activities. We never worried about them. We even allowed them to go some in the evenings so that the two of us could enjoy a "date night." They went with the Kids' Club to the evening show, which also was very good and provided a variety of entertainment nightly.

One day, we splurged and got a cabana on the beach, which was fabulous! We enjoyed having cooler filled with drinks and our own attendant to serve us breakfast and lunch. Late in the afternoon the day we had it, we got to watch a rain storm move in and then our family had an unforgettable 1/2 hour or so watching it rain while stretched out on the mattress inside the cabana on that beautiful beach.

We found the staff at this resort to be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. At one point, I left our room key holder on an outdoor table near the gift shop with $80 cash inside. When we discovered it was missing, about 1/2 hour later, when it wasn't where we left it, we went to the front desk and were relieved and thrilled when the manager retrieved it--all money there--from their safe where they had placed it for safe-keeping!

This is probably a good lead-in to the one main negative we encountered, which I almost hesitate to mention. As I said earlier, we went to this resort to renew our vows. It had rained when we got married and I was so hoping for good weather the day of our vow renewal. I got my wish, and the weather was picture-perfect. We had a very good experience working with the wedding coordinator, and we had an unforgettable ceremony barefoot on the white sandy beach in front of the calm turquoise waters, with our 11 year-old walking me down the aisle and our 4 year-old serving as dad's "best man." We danced as a family at our "reception" and had a fantastic time. It wasn't until several days later, the day before we were to leave, when we went to the appointment to look at our photo proofs, did we learn that there was a GLITCH with our vow renewal photos & they could not view them! We spoke with both the photo shop manager and the resort manager many, many times as they explained the great lengths they were going to try to restore the photos, and they apologized profusely. Knowing we were leaving the next day, they worked into the night, and they were able to restore the first 4 photos taken (which did not include the ceremony.) Even after we returned to the states, they continued to work on it and called and e-mailed updates. Finally, they told us they had exhausted all that they knew and that they could do no more. I asked if we could please have the photo card on which the photos were taken so that we could seek out an expert here in the U.S., as my husband and I are both lawyers and have many professional contacts and felt we could find someone to get the remaining photos beyond the first 4. They refused to provide it to us, saying that it contained photos taken of other guests!! (who apparently got THEIR wedding photos!) I found this very upsetting and still do. However, they did have some still shots made from our vow renewal video, which are grainy, but at least we do have them. They also went out of their way and did not charge us for any of the professional photos (even the casual ones that had been taken during the week by their photographers out and about) or the video and offered us 2 nights free stay at a Sandals/Beaches. Having had over 9 months to process it, I really feel they went above and beyond to try to rectify the situation. Since it was my "vow renewal" and just my immediate family, I accepted it much better than if it were my wedding where we had invited guests. My main criticism is that we did not learn of the problem until the day before we were leaving, which was TWO days after the photos were taken. Had they checked the photos right after the service was over, they would have discovered the problem and at least we could have posed for a few photos while we all were dressed. Due to the timing, sadly, that was not possible.

Despite the loss of the photos, we most definitely would return to this resort and would recommend it, and we have many wonderful memories, including the memory of our beautiful vow renewal with our children, which was everything we imagined.

Room Tip: Go for a concierge level room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank lvethebluewaters
Write a ReviewReviews (5,319)

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Def place to go with Tweens/Teens. Spa is awesome. Staff uber friendly and obliging. Many off site trips to avail off. Catamaran cruises also. Food plentiful and diverse. Visit the Venetian for white glove Italian dining or Kimonos for Hibachi. Very impressed with the variety of food available at all times. To suit every taste. Rained everyday but only in mid afternoon to early eve. Suited us fine...we fair skinned folk who for the rain would prob have fried within the first day. Apply, apply sunscreen lavishly. Also bug spray if needs be. Wasnt too bad when we were there but the Mozzys do come out in droves at night! Be warned!

Room Tip: Rooms on opp side of the resort than where 'kids' pool located...def quieter. Visit Ricks C...
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Just got back from a wonderful week at Beaches Negril, our first time staying at a Beaches Resort.

Positives:

-- By far, the best family experience we've had at a resort. Because Beaches is clearly a place for only families to go (why would you go as a single or couple with all those kids rushing around) the place is perfect for kids. No crazy people getting wasted in the pool, no late night parties, etc.

--The beach is amazing. One of the best beaches I've ever been to in my life.

--The included activities. Scuba, snorkeling, waterskiing, kids club, etc. All are great and end up saving you a lot of money (of course you pay more upfront so it's mostly a wash).

--The pools & waterpark. Giant, fun and perfect.

--The staff. So helpful and awesome and hardworking.

Not-So-Positives:

--The food. For a place that's on the high end of all-inclusives in terms of cost, we though the food would be better. It's okay just not amazing. If food is a big deal to you on a trip like this, give some serious consideration to choosing somewhere else.

--The room. Again, it was okay but nothing crazy special. A little small in comparison to other places we've stayed.

--The lack of towels. This sounds small but the resort often had a lack of clean towels at the beach and it was super inconvenient.

Overall, the place is great. Some small qualms but nothing major. It's a lot like staying in a Disney hotel on the beach in Jamaica which I think is exactly what a lot of families are looking for in a vacation.

1  Thank Gavin P
Reviewed 17 April 2013

From the moment we set foot in JAMAICA the staff made us feel like ROYALTY. We were greeted with courtesy and made to feel welcome and valued! We arrived at the resort to beautiful manicured grounds and smiling faces. Our room was immaculate and spacious and had a view I wish I could have bottled and brought home with me. The restaurants were wonderful and the choices abundant, all of which were staffed with wonderful people with a constant smile and eagernes to please. It was not long before your favorite beverage was memorized and would arrive shortly after you sat at a table. The resort had something for everyone and for a family with teens and tweens, there was no problem finding something fun and exciting. We were welcomed by KENTON (from entertainment/ MARY's No PARTY POOPER) shortly after we arrived and he had wonderful activities for the children and encouraged friendships among the other teens and ours. There was an amazing Talent show and every participant felt like a STAR (ESPECIALLY THE GIRL ON FIRE)!! We were overwhelmed by the helpful and accommodating people in Concierge especially LUCINE who was AMAZING!! I would be remiss if I did not mention the BARTENDERS who made our trip extraordinary with their kindness, quick wit and constant expertise in their trade! JUNE who made the best "special" on the Island and remembered exactly which drink each of us enjoyed the most!! LORENZO who served with a flair and made us feel like we were his favorite guests. And RAVON from the PIAZZA bar who gave expert advice in spirits and exotic cocktails!! Overall this was an experience I will forever cherish and we anxiously await our return!!

2  Thank N T
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

We visited this resort in April and after reading various reviews we really didn't know what to think, the holiday was booked via Virgin Holidays who gave this resort a huge thumbs up I'm pleased to say that we were not disappointed. The whole holiday was Fab, I really can't remember all the names as everybody (except the spar lady's) were out of this world from the guys on the beach to the great people who cleaned our room they really made us feel at home without being over the top. I can only hink of One bad thing (lack of nighttime entertainment), food is not as great as some reviews would lead you to believe Stewfish is fantastic, also the Italian however they need to step up on their game all in all a great place to visit and One I'd recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was our 3rd time at the Beaches Resorts. We have booked this vacation for the spring break time of our family and coming from Minnesota the Caribean is a must!. Without any doubt I will recommend Beaches Negril over Beaches at Ocho Rios and over all Beaches at Turks and Caicos but that one is more expensive.
We went with our 9 yo and our 3 yo, we all enjoyed a lot, and we all got the opportunity to get activities and plans appropiate for each age.
The staff was super friendly with my children. The resort is newer than Ocho Rios, but the rooms are smaller. Unless you get a suite.
I liked way much better the fact the Negril has a long (7 mile beach), beautiful! and we always got chairs and shadow spots.
Another plus is that over 8 Rios, Negril is closer to the airport.
I used the kids club for my 3 year old and she enjoyed. There is an Xbox arcade that my 9 yo used too.
The shows at night were fantastic and the food was ok. We like it the buffet restaurant better than the other ones. The breakfast buffet included full meals like plantains, pork and fish wich I think is fantastic if you were having breakfast around 10 am.
I won't hesitate to spend the money at Negril over Ocho Rios. Both of them are fantastic, We went the first week of April and the weather was just perfect....it rains in the afternoons though.
The only "complain" that I will say I have is that we got a Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront concierge room and we didn't get any "special" treatment and the room was not very spacious

Room Tip: We are 4 and got a Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront Concierge Room....It was not very big, the view...
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Beaches Negril is so amazing it is so difficult to come back to cold weather in Chicago. From the moment we were greeted at the airport to the transportation we were amazed at the attention given to us and the hospitality. Immediately when arriving on the resort we were greeted with smiles and a warm welcome. Instantly my husband and I felt at peace and at home knowing that everyone was is good spirits and cheerful at ALL HOURS of the day (literally). The resort in general was clean ( even when there was construction) well lit and even the common areas were kept up with.
I was weary of food on a resort but I have no complaints the food was just as amazing as the people. I would recommend Beaches to everyone I know ( and have been doing so since being back to reality).

Because everyone is so relaxed there, there was a moment that I forgot we were their for our destination wedding!!

Beaches Negril staff present as having so much pride in their resort and work so hard to accommodate and provide a fun and relaxed experience. I honestly have no complaints about the resort overall. I will say I did get eaten up by Mosquitos but eh thats what Cortizone is for so just prepare some before you go.

Make sure to use VIP Vacations to assist with planning for the best vacation/destination wedding ever!!
VIP Vacations Inc. made planning our destination wedding as easy as 1,2,3. Going in to planning a destination wedding was something new for me and not having any idea where to start, a simple email to Jennifer Doncsecz started what could have been one of the best decisions I have made! The entire VIP team was helpful and informative whether I called or emailed. I was always given a quick response even if it was a very simple question. VIP made every attempt to accommodate us even when changes were made last minute and when guest became difficult. VIP was very helpful in also finding ways to save money and provided suggestions for making the destination wedding experience worth every penny. I do not regret anything about my experience and hope to use VIP for anniversaries and vow renewal in the future! The fact that VIP works closely with Beaches Negril (where our wedding took place) and other Sandals Resorts made all arrangements fall into place!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
1 mi away
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!