“Beaches Negril...nice but not worth the extra money”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Beaches Negril...nice but not worth the extra money”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We just returned from Beaches Negril (March 30-April 4, 2014)

Overall because of the higher price, we expected to be able to rate it 5 out of 5. I can only give it a 2.5 out of 5.

Rooms and resort were clean and seemed to be relatively new and remodeled. The bath was nice enough to give my son a bath in, which I'm usually not so keen on. Beds were comfortable but the bedding could have been nicer. The outer comforter wasn't a comfortable but instead a scratchy blanket. Housekeeping service was timely in the morning while we were at the pool and did a good job. Food was good quality and tasty. They weren't that happy when you asked for an adjustment to a item on the menu such as can you please jerk this chicken but they usually did it but only one option on the menu or offered jerk sauce on the side. I mean we are in Jamaica.

Checkin was horrible - we had 3 rooms before it was ok. They gave us a complimentary "Upgrade" to king bed room for 3 adults and a child. I was okay with this because it was an ocean view which was above what we booked and they promised it would have a pull out couch. We got there and there was no pull out couch as stated. Not sure where 3 adults were going to sleep in that room. Then they brought us to the regular room booked but on 3rd floor after we said we needed 1st floor for my mother traveling with us with bad knees. We were told no 1st floor rooms were available until the next day. Then magically a 1st floor regular room was available after we said this wouldn't work for us for the 5th time. Felt like we were bothering them but these didn't seem like crazy requests.

Phone in room - buttons for different services didn't work. Told them 3 times then they decided to come the next day during my sons nap to fix it. Not cool.

Service in all restaurants was very slow. However the food was very good. We didn't have a bad tasting meal, they just were slow to bring out entrees and couldn't figure out how to bring 4 meals at once to a single table. Only once were we asked if wanted a second round of drinks from the bar.

Kimonos and The Venetian require a reservation that you can only make the day of. Kimonos was good. Dinner at Stewfish was great.

There were never any beach towels after 9am. Never replenished. One day they were giving out bath mats to people asking for towels. Poor planning there.

No beach or pool bar service. One day on the beach we had a server and she came back 3 times.

Service was pretty poor until you tipped them even though they said it wasn't allowed. Then they were happier to be serving you.

There were a few really good and friendly people - Catherine at Stewfish, Jodian at theatre bar and swim up bar at main pool, Hilroy at the front desk really tried to redeem his team and did a pretty good job doing so. He was very nice.

Arizonas for dinner on 4/2 - my meal came about 10 minutes after everyone else's. It was fajitas and the food was still cooking on the plate. It was so hot the oil was splashing off and got all over my dress.

Arizonas for lunch on 4/3 - waited 40 minutes for lunch to come out - enchiladas, shrimp tacos, fish sticks and a grilled cheese. Everything came but my enchiladas. A few minutes later the server said it would be right up, about 10 minutes later it still wasn't there and several other tables were receiving their meals. I left to go speak to the front desk because by this time I was just so mad. My husband said the manager came over about 15 minutes later to see how we were and to ask if she could take their plates when he told her my food still had not come out. She said she would find out and then said it would be right up. About 25 minutes after they had their food and were finished, my meal finally came up with the excuse that it took longer to cook. I saw a few other tables with the enchiladas and they came out with the other meals ordered. So that was a horrible excuse. It was shredded chicken stuffed inside a rolled tortilla. To top it all off we were about to leave and the server took my sons plate from in front of him, hitting him in the face with the French fry basket.

That was kind of the end for me. I don't think I could get over it and return despite the Operations Managers efforts by comping our two spa treatments. It was a nice effort, but I think we will still look elsewhere for our next trip.

We were looking up our next vacation last night and Beaches is about 30% more expensive than its competitors for family resorts. I think we will save the money and go elsewhere next time. Dreams and Club Med have always been good to us.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tonyandmag429
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,208)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Altamont, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

my wife myself and 2 kids had a great time here this past febuary. We enjoyed the staff immensely as well as the room and beach which was absolutely beautiful. I would recommend renting a cabana on the beach, it was a nice indulgence. The food was good resort food with our best meal at the venetian. I cant say enough for the dive shop. My son and i received our advanced open water certifcation, our instructors Charles in Charge and 007 were the best. The dives were safe, fun and a great father son experience.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed your vacation with us. At Beaches Resorts, we take pride in providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff at Beaches Negril did just that.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back in the future!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is a beautiful resort and spa with amazing service. The staff was professional and welcoming. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. My mom and I had a wonderful time. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
We're so glad that we were able to make your stay so wonderful. It's great to hear that you enjoyed every moment of your relaxing vacation at Beaches Negril. Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you back in the near future!
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I came with my family for a graduation present. It was pretty awesome! There are three kinds of rooms: a basic room, a concierge room, and a butler room. We stayed in a concierge room and got access to the concierge lounge as well as a concierge to book our a la carte restaurants and excursion. I recommend booking a concierge room. Butler rooms are large and have the assistance of a butler in room as well as while you are out and about in the resort. He will reserve beach and pool chairs for you as well as a nice table for meal times. The a la cart restaurants were great. There is a major sand fly/mosquito issue at night. My legs were covered in bites, even with bug spray on! The disco in the resort is great; a nice mix of young people and hilarious drunk old people too! I'm 18, but mid way through the trip a group of 16 to 15 year olds arrived with their families trying to get alcohol from the bar tenders. I had to carry my ID around with me to get drinks for the last half of my vacation, which was annoying while I was at the pool! The animation staff was awesome! They went to the disco with us and hungout at the late night snack bar with us too (they do NOT drink on the job!). There is an awesome late night snack place that has chicken nuggets, burgers, fries, and hot dogs until 3 AM! Great for late night drunkie snacks! There were plenty of families and nobody with ridiculously drunk where it would not be appropriate for children. The people who come here are not trashy, which is nice! I met an awesome Irish family and some Germans as well! This resort is great for families as there is something for everyone to do. I heard great things about the kids club; they have sesame street characters walking around the resort all the time! There are men on the beach selling cigars and weed but they do understand what "no" means. Make sure to get to know the guy selling seashells, he is hilarious! He walks up and down the beach yelling "SHHELLLLL". If you are nice to the locals, they are nice back. I often brought them bottles of juice that came free with our on beach cabana rental. Make sure to rent a cabana! It is worth it! You get a covered queen sized bed on the beach and an attendant to bring you food/drink whenever you would like. We stayed in our cabana and closed the curtain during afternoon storms. Overall one of the best all inclusive trips I have been on!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BeachNicole
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review of Beaches Negril. We're so happy to read that you were pleased with our gorgeous property, delicious food and friendly staff. We strive to create amazing experiences for our guests. Therefore, your comments make us proud and confirm that we are on the right track!

We look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic vacation in the near future!
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We just came back from Beaches Negril and had the best time in the world. I have to say that Courtney was awesome and helped us out in so many ways. The food was great the staff will do anything to please you. The ocean was amazing and so are all the pools. We came with our two daughters 8&5 and had so much fun. thank you Beaches Negril we cant wait to come back soon.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 107 and it was on the ground close to the ocean
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ashly h
We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing stay at Beaches Negril. It's a pleasure to see that Courtney was able to showcase the true hospitality for which we are known and make quite an impression during your stay. Thank you for your review.

We hope to see you back again very soon!
Alamogordo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

FANTASTIC!! My folks, husband, myself and our two daughters, ages 5 and 11 had a trip of a lifetime. The beaches accommodations as a whole could not have been better. Beautiful rooms, great food, great entertainment and the location was breathtaking. The staff which we consider friends treated us like we were royalty. We miss negril everyday and WILL BE BACK! Thank you for memories that will last us a lifetime!!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Murphy0315
We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing vacation at Beaches Negril. We always want to exceed the expectations of our guests and ensure that they are enjoying themselves during their stay. Going above and beyond to create memorable experiences is our top priority.

Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Happy Travels!
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The service at the resort was exceptional! The resort is also beautiful. Staff went beyond the call of their duties at all times to ensure that you were comfortable. The food was also very delcicious!! I would definitely stay there again......

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sabrina S
Thank you so much for your review. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a great stay with us at Beaches Negril. We love to hear that we've met and exceeded the expectations of our guests. I will be sure to let our staff know of your kind mention. They will all be proud to know how much they contributed to your amazing experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous stay in paradise!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
#8 of 80 in Negril
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!