“our 2014 family vacation”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Repentigny, Canada
“our 2014 family vacation”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First of all, we, my wife and I, are platinum members of sandal's resorts. It was our first experience with a beaches resort because usually we are taking vacation by ourselves but this time we we're 3 couples and our grand-daughter of 2 year and a half so we we're 7 persons counting the wife and the husband too in all.
We we're expecting a lot from this trip. We wanted our daughter and son to finally meet what we do when we are in vacation in that kind of quality hôtels. Right at the moment that we arrive on site, the resort is very clean and the staff welcome us with very big smile and a big glass of a signature drink. We we're conducted in the conciergedesk since we all had concierge suite.
Then we went in our rooms that are in the far left of the resort in the building # 9. Immediately we could compare the rooms with all the sandal's that we went before, the rooms we're a bit smaller but still big enough to put all my family in the same room to chat and be comfortable.
Now, my comments on the week that we had. It was a very good week in all. The staff is really good, my children oftenly told me that they we're surprise of how easy the staff is always smiling and seems to want to always help the customers that we are. They we're very professional in what they we're doing and friendly in the same time. Personnaly i was really surprise how almost all the barman's we're good (especially Oneil at the pool...always singing and laughing with everybody). Knowing that we are in a family resort, i was thinking that it could have lacked of experienced in the knowledge of the drinks but in the contrary, they knew a lot of drinks and they we're actually very good !!! We had a bad news. We had booked throught air canada vacation and it said in a publicity that we had a free massage in the red lane spa and a $150 gift certificate if we booked between 2 dates, thing that we had done but once on the resort, we asked informations about this and in wasn't good....after taking informations at our travel agent, it had exclusions in small caracters on the website and we we're in those exclusions. My wife was really sad about it and Nathaly at the concierge desk talk to Daniella at the Customer services and she did really a miracle by giving to all the women in my family a good massage at the red lane spa to compensate for her "sadness". Before going in this trip my wife really wanted my family to feel how the service is in a sandal's- beaches... and they saw it right away with Daniella and Nathaly...we had never felt shy of asking for something and more, we felt like it was a real pleasure for them to do so. In itself that prove the quality of the service that we had received and i'm telling you my wife can ask a lot sometimes....LOL
Me and my son in law did some scuba diving there too. The staff on the boat was good, they we're really safe too ( they had 3 or 4 staff in the water with us each times for 10 to 12 divers). Once in the water, the staff really wanted us to see things. They didn't rush the dive so a lot of us could enjoy it. The only bad thing in the diving i can say is that the equipment needs a lot of love... it was destroyed !!!... the bcd's we're all ripped down, they had holes in the pockets all over. A lot of first stage (regulators) we're leaking a bit too.
Now the restaurants- food : beaches negril has 2 restaurants that needs réservations... the kimono (japanese) and the venitian (italian)... at the kimono the food was really good but the thing is that we we're 14 people on a table fit for 10....so we we're squeeze a lot, espacially with a high chair for my grand daughter... we talked about it and they said that it won't happen again. At the italian restaurant, well...wow !!!!
My grand daughter really love all the caracters of sesame street that are present all over the resort and i have to say that all the adults too !!!! I really don't know how they can breathe in those costumes in a 40 degrees celcius temperature but they we're amazing. The resort has a day care service that is really marvelous. They are so good, great that i wanted to go there myself !!!
We booked a taxi cab with Gary's cab...He is really good and patient we took him for the day (9 to 6 o'clock) and it was incredible...he's taking care of everybody. He brought us all the way from negril to martha brae and every thing that we've asked we received with a smile.
In all i suggest that if you are planning to go there, do it, you won't regret it.

1 Thank nos2897

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,208)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First visit with Beaches, previously stayed at similar type, most notably Dreams resorts. Beaches is more expensive despite discount, but so far quite inferior a product. Rooms are shabbier, service is hit or miss. Room was either hot or cold, no in between. Hot water in shower only a trickle. Very noisy... Workers filling coolers outside our room every morning. Must be minibar storage room. Excluded items because of no concierge service which cost an arm more, but they don't tell you that at the onset. For instance, no beer in the minibar, that is excluded, pay extra for teen activities that are represented as included. No such thing at Dreams. Moving rooms today, we shall see what awaits.... Not optimistic.

9 Thank Ramune S
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello Ramune,
Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm so sorry to hear that you have not entirely enjoyed your stay thus far. I've tried to contact you via private message to see how we can resolve this matter while you are still on property but I was not able to reach you. However, I understand that our Director of Guest Services has been in contact with you and she will be more than willing to help you in any way possible. We always want to ensure that all of our guests are having a wonderful vacation and it would be nice if we were able to turn things around for you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our staff on-property should you need any further assistance.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Interesting to read some of the fantastic reviews on here...it just goes to show that you MUST decide for yourself if this is for you!! That being said, I am going to explain the things I really enjoyed and some of the things I did not like. We traveled with a group for a wedding. Most of the guests did not get the room type they paid for. I did get the room I paid for and have no complaints with that but I paid for the concierge level and I was certainly treated differently. The room and attendants were great!! The beach sports and beach were very nice! The wedding and everything about the wedding was perfect...so, that being said, the goal was met to have a wonderful wedding for my friend!
Here are the things I personally had issues with: NO air conditioning in places to eat! It was very, very hot there and eating in the heat is not appealing to me in the least! I have no appetite when it is that hot! (One place had it - just one, and we ate there twice) The choice of food was limited and both my daughter and I had the runs for the last three days of the trip. For the price, I want to order what I want, NOT a limited menu like it was. Buffets are not my thing either! The food to me was a major disappointment. Now here is something that seemed to get better as the week went on...the service. There is a huge different between being friendly and proving excellent service! They have the being friendly thing down to a science but when real issues were at hand, the ball seemed to drop and the smiles just do not cut it!
To end, I must say that we are elite Hilton owners, travel often and may be a bit spoiled. Okay, I am spoiled and hence the experience to know this is not for me. The hi light of the vacation was a boat trip planned by the bride off the hotel grounds and when we rented a beach cabana and for the first time got to order what we wanted BUT we also paid an additional $125 + $40 tip for the day!~ For the price it cost to go to this resort, we could have went anywhere and had top of the line food and drink. We did not like the rum they used at all and drank very little. I do like Red Stripe and enjoyed that!
In closing, I do not think we will go back but enjoyed the Jamaican people very much!!

Room Tip: make sure they give you the type of room you purchased
2 Thank Loveagoodmeal
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed 6 nights and that was perfect for our first trip out of the country. We had a 14 year old and a 9 year old they both were fully entertained the whole vacation. Glass bottom boat, snorkeling, paddle boats, and much more are all included. Also don't forget your free photography session. Yes you have to buy the pictures in the end but they take really good pictures and it's a great way to have memories captured. The kids learned the swim up bar real quick. They get "mocktails" basically. Any drink can also be blended *good to know for both kids and adults* We got to know two bartenders while we were there and they knew our "usual" by the 3rd day. Especially my daughter whom they called princess! She loves chocolate so they would make her drink up with an extra drizzle down the side of the cup. If we had not had these two bartenders take such good care of us it wouldn't have been as awesome as it was. We say bartenders but they don't just hand out alcohol they provided singing and entertainment while making your alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks. Leggon and Lorenzo's main bar is the bar next to the stewfish restaurant. Check them out when you are there. For not being allowed to accept tips I can't believe how well EVERYONE treats you there. We will be back.

Room Tip: South end rooms are furthest away from pools and restaurants. Whether that is good or bad you decide...
1 Thank Denise H
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Definitely a lot of money but we are returning guests....just not every year. Is expensive but compared to other resorts, service, accommodations, etc. are top notch.....and you cannot beat the beach. The nicest sand and smooth ocean bottom make ocean swimming very enjoyable.....and the pools are great also! For the kids......their pizza grill on the beach is wonderful. Food is great. For kids....a wonderful experience. Many resorts that are kid friendly are not as safety conscious as is this resort. A resort that we've gone to a number of times and now that my son is 18, we will still go back as adults. Its a fun place...its a safe place....for as many kids as there are there, it's quiet and relaxing. The Jamaicans are SO kid friendly! The only downside.....the locals on the water crafts are a bit buggy, but we've seen this at every resort....definitely not restricted to here. Locals walking the beach.....security keeps them moving. Security at both ends of the beach....the kids can't wander off the property! I've always felt very safe here......and the sunsets in Negril are to die for!!!!!

Room Tip: Buy up to a suite if you can afford it....the extra room is nice! But honestly, you are very rarely...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wonderful resort, fantastic time. Our whole family, kids ages 8, 13, & 15 plus 5 adults all loved our time there & would go back in a heart beat! Loved the all inclusive. The entire staff was excellent!! Concierge staff, Natalee, Krystal, & Ricardo were amazing & went the extra mile. Main pool bar staff, O'Neal, Barrington, & Richard (who moved on to other cross training), each made time with them FUN! Housekeeping was SO pleasant & made daily towel animals for our 8 yr old whom they called by name. My husband & I enjoyed getting up early & going to the Cafe de Paris for coffee in the morning. We loved Stewfish for breakfast and dinner because it was by the water, but everyplace was yummy. Arizona, Venetian, Dino's pizza by the main pool, the BBQ (excellent burgers), the Mill buffets...each was unique & delicious & the servers were so friendly & attentive. We ran out of time for Kimono's. The beach is beautiful, the sand is SO soft & we always found lounges there & at the pool. Water sports were great, loved the paddle boats & kayaks. The glass bottom boat was a fun trip, too. The staff & the resort were just the best. If I HAD to make a suggestion it would be to have more pool towels available later in the day & perhaps a more comfortable pull out sofa mattress. I had to really think to come up with those. What a special way to spend family time & for 8 people to never have a bad experience or anything other than a great meal for a whole week, wow!!! A once in a lifetime trip! I think not....we WILL save our pennies & be back!!!

Room Tip: We wanted adjoining rooms so we didn't have a choice but to take concierge service. We will go...
3 Thank Becky S
Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Absolutely the BEST vacation I have ever been on!!!! We just returned yesterday with our 3 boys ages 16, 14, and 12. Upon arrival we were greeted by our concierge and taken care of with cold, refreshing towels and a beverage of choice. The check in process was painless and we were in our room and down to the beach in no time. My husband and I had a lovely dinner at Stewfish right on the beach…what a wonderful way to begin our Jamaican vacation.

As with other reviewers, I cannot say enough about the staff. O'Neil at the pool bar was fantastic and makes the best drinks…ask for his "special"! Lucien at water sports is so helpful and fun. Odel is a welcoming sight the Mill and Arizona's…always making you feel comfortable. I have to give a special "shout out" to Stephanie and Lucine at the concierge. We lost our camera at customs in Jamaica upon arrival. They were so wonderful and were able to locate it for us, help us give customs the proper information they needed, and had it on a shuttle to the resort the next morning. We are so grateful to them and the special treatment they gave us. We can't thank them enough! It's things like that that go to show you what a people oriented resort this is…they just want you to be happy and have the time of your lives. Also, another "shout out" to Damien, our beach cabana server. He was so attentive and took really good care of us.

We ate at every restaurant and enjoyed them all. I would say that Kimono's and Stewfish were my favorites! The food at Kimono's was excellent and the atmosphere at Stewfish was just spectacular. My husband and sons lived at the BBQ stand by the slide pool. I thought my husband was going to turn into a "jerk chicken". You can get jerk chicken, dry rub chicken, pulled pork, beef patties, etc. until 3:00 AM.

Activities at the report were awesome. We loved the water sports and took advantage of everything. I think our favorite was taking the Hobie Cat out to sail after noon. It was perfect at that time when the wind picked up. We did do a private parasail and that was great, too! Next year when we go back we will try the Rick's tour. We just ran out of time.

The rooms were immaculate and the decor is lovely. I would describe it as British Colonial. The dark wood against the white walls and white bedding is tasteful. There is lots of wood throughout the buildings against pale, colorful walls. It's exactly what I picture on an island. We stayed in the Montpelier building and we liked it very much. It was away from the pools and was quiet. The only issue we had was that we were near the wedding gazebo and area where they would have receptions outdoors. I can't really say it was an issue because we were never in the room much except to sleep. The wedding that was going on while we were there only lasted until about 7:00 pm. Not an issue for us, but could be if you have young children that nap.

We cannot wait to return to Beaches Negril…to the wonderful staff, beautiful facilities, great food and drink, fun times, and a spectacular beach!

1 Thank Susandances456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
#8 of 80 in Negril
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!