“Beaches-Great!!”

Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beaches-Great!!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

First trip to Jamaica with family and friends. Excellent service with immaculate tropical setting, it doesn't get much better. Olilvia had a perfect room every night and the other staff were eager to please.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joey K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My stay at Beaches was one of the best trips I've ever had. There were so many activities to do on the resort and they make you feel like you're at home. Anything you want they'll get it for you. There were plenty bars on the resort and one of the best bartenders was actually a trainee. His name was Jevaun Ricketts and he could mix any drink I asked for. I hope to see him this next time I visit Beaches. Beaches is a great resort and if you're planning on going to Jamaica, Beaches is the place to go.

2 Thank BrettGarner12
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Oh my, where to start! The staff is amazing! Owen at the mill is so helpful and friendly. Ricardo in concierge is amazing. Again so helpful! The grounds are gorgeous! Our son has a peanut allergy and the head chef met with us to discuss what was safe. It was the 1st time we felt comfortable letting him have desserts on vacation. The beach was so clean and gorgeous. Overall it was the perfect vacation! Can't wait to come back!

1 Thank Nicki R
Yorktown, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

we decided all three of us (my son is 14) would get PADI certified to scuba dive - my son did great - it was a lot harder for me at 53 but the instructor Paul Dunn would not let me give up - he spent extra time with me in till pool till I gain confidence. Thank you - now we can dive together at beaches resorts for free! Also, they made us lobster tail (which was not on the menu) for no extra charge. Can't wait till we can go back.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I got back on a week vacation with my family and had a wonderful time. The bartenders at swim up bars were great very friendly and fun..Jauvan,oshain zillion and Anthony were great help! Resort was clean, beautiful beach, flowers and sunsets! Has great time!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was the third time we stayed at Beaches Negril. We have enjoyed our time each of our stays. The rooms are great. The staff is great. The food is awesome and lots of it. The Arizonas has great food but service is slow. This is not a huge issue as you are at the beach and time is not a major concern. The staff do try to help. This third time we stayed (July 22-Aug.1) I did find the service just a little bit off from the first two times. Seems staff take just a little longer than previous years to clear off plates, refill water, etc...but it was still great.
My biggest concern was that one of the water sports (lifeguards) by the name of Kenmar (sp.?) was reserving chairs on the beach for guests, and in speaking to another guest, expecting a tip. This was the first time I found this to be happening. It was very unfair. Even though I am at the beach at 6:15 am (love the beach in the early morning), all of the best chairs would be reserved by this lifeguard/water sports for whoever made a deal with him. I even asked him if the concierge were aware but he just wanted to get me in on the deal. I found this practice very disturbing because the chairs are first come first serve and if you were not dealing with this guy, you could not get a decent place to sit on the beach. The chairs he reserved were often not even used by guests until much later in the day, so they could sleep in, and other families had to scramble to find a space. I think this would be my last time going if I can't be assured this practice is stopped!
Otherwise, the place is beautiful, the grounds wonderful, staff are great, especially at the beach bar and Andre the butler in the cabana. Great experience all three years. Too bad it was spoiled
this last time by the water sports/ lifeguard who was using the beach chairs for personal gain. As I recall this is not what Beaches states is professional practice for its employees.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. The more costly rooms have a fully stocked (alcohol) bar for you to use and...
3 Thank Julie D
Fairland, Indiana
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Upon arriving at the airport my wife & I and our two daughters stood in an enormous immigration line. Don't recall this being that bad during our first trip here to Sandals Royal Caribbean 20 years ago. After finally clearing customs we were taken to the Sandals & Beaches lounge in the airport where they have beer and soft drinks while we awaited transportation to the resort. Once loaded in the car we had a harrowing ride around the west coast toward Negril. The roads are narrow and congested in towns, our driver made several passes along the way that frankly scared my family for their lives. After a bit over an hour of that we arrived at Beaches and were greeted with cool scented wash cloths. The concierge staff made us feel at home and promptly took care of sending our bags to the room and giving us an orientation of the resort. On 29-Jul we had our 25th wedding anniversary and we had paid for the Re-tie the knot ceremony and Trech and Rosario helped us pick out cake for the ceremony and dinner orders for our dinner on the beach that night as well as our breakfast in bed choices and were very helpful. We were disappointed with the dinner on the beach and it started when one of two torches went out. We asked to have it fixed but our server seemed unable to get someone to fix it even though one man took a look. (maybe they should have a extra one on hand?) After that she was gone for a really long time and we needed our drinks refilled so I walked to the beach bar to take care of this myself. I must say that all week the crew at the beach bar was great: Leggon, Jermaine James, Andrae Amos, Roy, June & Havalisa were all fantastic. I didn't have much luck with service at the small pool bar and felt ignored a couple times so we just used the beach bar. After I returned with our drinks our dinner arrived. My wife chose the beef tenderloin but the piece was very tough and fatty. Unfortunately our problems kept mounting when the water sports crew was gathering beach towels and we had to endure the tractor running behind us for the entire second half of dinner. I'm sure the beach front dinner guests would appreciate if they could figure out how to collect towels without the tractor when diners are on the beach.
On our 3rd night we were offered a complimentary room upgrade, we booked a single room with King bed and it had two trundle beds that would have allowed a spot for 4 kids if needed. We aren't sure why they offered the upgrade but we accepted and the concierge asked us to pack our bags as early as possible so they could move us. So I returned about 8am the next morning and then was told that check out wasn't until 11am so the other guests had not checked out yet and I was told to check back about noon! So around noon, I went to inquire again on the status of our move and was told they were cleaning the room and would take care of moving our stuff when that was complete and I was told to check back about 2pm. At that point I gave up and remained on the beach and at some point my wife went up to the room and saw them moving our stuff and she was told we had to go get keys to the new room. We were moved down the building to a two room suite with adjoining door, which was more privacy for us but the beds in the kids room were not an upgrade. They had two pull out beds with very thin mattresses and broken suspensions. They complained of feeling the steel bars dig into their backs and just generally being uncomfortable beds. While we appreciated the upgrade, I think the whole process should have been a whole lot less stressful if we were given accurate info the first time. Instead of telling me they wanted us to move as early as possible, they should have just told us that after the new room was cleaned our bags would be moved and new keys would be brought to us!
My kids 12 & 15 had a good time in the club Liquid and met some other tweens & teens, but they told us they only allow kids in for an hour before the adult time starts. The pools and the swim up bars were nice but we spent most time on the beach. There did seem to be a problem keeping towels stocked but I'm sure that if you asked someone, they would get them for you. Overall the service was really good and everyone was very helpful. The only downside to the beautiful beach experience was enduring the daily barrage of vendors walking the beach asking you to buy everything from shells, para-sailing, various handmade crafts, cotton candy, hats, and so on. I understand they are just trying to make some money and I did purchase a lot of items from them and the vendors that Beaches allows to setup tables on their beach, but the experience of sitting on the beach would be much better if they didn't ask you over and over every day. If I wanted something I would approach them! You must be a good negotiator as the asking price is usually far too much. Security is also present and they will usually walk up and observe once you start talking with a vendor. The shows and entertainment were ok and we enjoyed a few of those. The water sports were good and we did the snorkeling, glass bottom boat, paddle boards, water trikes, etc. I'm not sure why you have to sign up a day in advance for the snorkeling and glass bottom but the concierge did mention those facts.
On Friday we noticed some men digging up water lines in the courtyard of our building (100's) and we didn't have water in the room for a while and started to get worried as my wife wanted to get ready for the evening. Luckily it came back on in time for showers so we could get ready for dinner at Kimonos. We had reservations for Kimonos which were made on our first day. However upon arrival we were told they had us as a cancel. This was really getting to be the last straw for us and I immediately went to the concierge to discuss the problem and my wife went to the room for the reservation card we received when we made them. I suspected since we changed rooms mid week and our reservations were under the first room number that this could be the problem, although you would think it should not have been an issue. The concierge was able to get it corrected and they managed to stuff some extra chairs around the grill to accommodate us and we did have a good meal.
Overall this is a beautiful place but this time just wasn't as good as it should have been for us. I'm usually fine with an issue here and there but we felt like things kept mounting all week and we couldn't catch a break. I don't think our experience was in any way typical and I'm sure for most guests they would have a great experience, this just wasn't our time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,513 reviews

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!