“AWESOME”

GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
PHILA
Reviewed 17 May 2006

I just return from a 5 night stay at Beaches Negril in Jamaica and I must say that I was completely pleased with my chose. I am not going to make this long because i will go on and on. I didn't know what to expect after reading some reviews but i was so pleased when i arrived. The service is excellent and they offer alot of entertainment. i highly recommend this resort.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

A TripAdvisor Member
PA
Reviewed 17 May 2006

Beaches Negril is a very good family resort. We stayed there 5/2 – 5/8. This was our first time to Beaches, but third time to Jamaica in the last four years. We stayed at Couples Negril and Ocho Rios the previous times. Now that we have a 16 month old, we thought we would give the family resort a chance.

After clearing customs, we found the resort reception center with no problems. I am still trying to figure out how a guy in a previous review could not find the reception center. We waited in the reception area for only about 10 minutes before being told our transportation was ready. The ride was 90 minutes and uneventful. We made the trek before and knew what to expect.

We were greeted warmly upon our arrival at Beaches. We were the only family registering at the time so things moved quickly. I can see it taking some time if there are multiple families at one time. We were taken to our room and our bags followed shortly after. I made a request for a crib prior to arrival, but it was not in the room. However, we had a crib in less than a few hours. The room was nice. Not great, but more than met our needs. We lost water pressure a few times, but for only a few seconds. Hot water was never an issue.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Remember one thing, they operate on Jamaican time. This means they don’t run around frantically to get things done. If you are a person always in a hurry, you may be disappointed in the service. The food selection was plentiful. We enjoyed most of the food, while finding a few things not to our liking. The great thing is that if you don’t like something, you can always get something else. We found the Seville Restaurant to be a great experience. Almost forgot, the drinks were just fine as well. However, it does take some time to get a drink every now and then. If you are eating at the Mill, you may want to get your drinks before sitting down.

The big selling point of Beaches is the Kids Camp and it did not disappoint. Our son received great care and attention. They understand when a toddler is dropped off; they may need some extra attention until they adjust. They provided that extra attention. We also used the after hour nanny. It was easy to set up and relatively inexpensive. Many parents with older kids said they could not get their kids out of camp.

One thing we noticed at Beaches is the number of larger weddings. Our room was located close to where the wedding celebrations took places. There was a lot of loud music going on until 11 PM. This is rough when you want your kid to go to sleep at 9 PM. The room #s from 700 – 900 were the ones that were mainly effected.

In summary, we would recommend Beaches Negril for a family vacation. If you are a couple going on vacation, we would recommend staying at one of the couple resorts.

• Stayed: May 2006
33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We went to Beaches Negril in Mid January for a destination wedding (60 people!!!) I have to admit I lurked on trip advisor reading all the negative reviews beforehand... but it was fabulous!

Rooms: They were clean, colorful and AC and water was great! Maid service was good, and we had internet connection for our laptop as well...

Beach: perfect!!! Beautiful water... no rocks! Clean! No peddlers! Plenty of sun chairs!

Pool: clean, beautiful and fun. The Lazy river and water slides were fun for the adults as well as the kids.

Service: The staff at the hotel was amazing! Always friendly and willing to accommodate.

Food:
The Seville was a nice dinner. Good food and great service.
The Japanese restaurant was fun and entertaining.
The buffet was good! Always had a variety of food. I often frequented "Kids Corner" for the staple items... chicken fingers and fries!

Scuba: A few of us were certified and went on at least one dive a day. They were great! Boat picks you up from the beach and brings you out for about an hour dive (either 30 or 60 feet) Visibility was great! My husband got certified while we were there through the resort... it takes a few days but it is cheaper and quicker than doing it at home (roughly $300 US for PADI certification).

EXCERSIONS:
Ricks Cafe was fun!!!
Don't do the shopping in town... If you choose to do some shopping... there are shops right down the beach... walking distance.... much cooler and safer...
We also did the ZIPLINING... it was fun, but hot and you are thoroughly exhausted when you get back! Lots of walking.. hills.. ect...

Overall.. It was a great experience. I would definitely go back! It was a great place for families or groups to go!

• Stayed: January 2006
23  Thank traveler1978
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We stayed at Beaches Negril from 29th April 06 - 6th May 06. I travelled with my husband and son aged 3. We stayed at Beaches Turks & Caicos last year and the resorts are very similar although there was a great vibe at this resort as the high spirits of the staff are fantastic and really help you to enjoy your holiday. My son used the kids camp twice and both experiences were good - very friendly staff and the Seaseme Street characters were fab as they made various apperances throughout the day (All in your schedule!). The Seaseme Street shows were good although a little short but guess they must get hot in those costumes! We aslo paid for a character breakfast $32 for the three of us held in the Seville restaurant which all the characters attend and gives you photo opportunities. The beach is as gorgeous as it looks in the brochure and the watersports guys were great, took our son on a hobie cat boat and on the big aqua trike bikes. The waterpark lazy river was good fun. My only concern was the lack of entertainment in the evening as there wasnt anything to do much past ten. There is no bar/seating area except for the reception/lobby area to sit and have a drink as in Turks & Caicos there was a huge area so this is the only negative point I have to make about this resort. Anyone travelling will have a fab time and any UK potential visitors reading this do not fear as you will not be the only non american there! We stayed in the Grande De Luxe Beachfront which was lovely accommodation and enough room for our family with a gorgeous sea view. All in all we loved it and would not hesitate in going back. If you need any questions answering please feel free to contact me. Have a great time!

22  Thank Holiday902
Reviewed 9 May 2006

For the price we paid ($4,000 w/air from Chicago for 2 adults) this property was way overpriced. If you are looking for all the booze you can drink, this is a great place. If you are looking for Ultra Rating food, this place is sadly lacking and I suggest taking a cruise instead. We could have gone on two cruises for what we paid for one week here. The beach was great and well manicured. The hotel workers were nice people for the most part. You are going to find good and bad anywhere you go, but for the price we paid even with an upgraded room, we were very disappointed. We were there for my son's wedding. We were placed in a room on the third floor and asked for a room change even if it meant a downgrade, but they were unable to accommodate us due to being full. The wedding we were there for had 25 people all staying at Beaches and I felt they could have done more for us due to the volume of people staying 5days to a week. The wedding itself was beautiful on a beautiful day on a Negril Beach. We enjoyed the fast moving and far from lazy river with our 10 yr old grand-daughter who only found out the last day there that you can get chicken nuggets at the hamburger stand. We also made good use of the popcorn machine and ice cream machine as well as the pizza. The food wasn't the greatest, but if you look around there is something that can get you through the week. The drinks are great as are most of the bartenders. We aren't big drinkers but there were tons of non-alcohol smoothies such as The Mickey Mouse that were full of fresh fruit and you can watch them blending them right in front of you. Also, the two swim-up bars were loads of fun, as were the waterslides. What a treat not to have to wait in lines!!! We loved the snorkeling, especially when one of the Beaches people dove and picked up living things for us to check out and put back. It was very interesting and educational. The Hobie Cat sailboats were tons of fun but take a couple towels for your legs and back and don't stay out too long or you may be burned. Remember to ask for fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast. They have a machine out for the masses, but will give you fresh squeezed when asked. Also, fresh, sweet bananas and milk are great in the morning, as well! All in all and on our own, we had a fun time with the water park and things to do. Parasailing with Jimmy was great and only $40 per person from what I heard. We also took a ride to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville is only a one mile walk down the beautiful 7 mile beach! The trip is what you make it, and it is probably a great place if you have kids. Bug spray and #50 protective lotion are a must. Make sure you take a small first aid kit if you have kids for the bites and scraps. AFTER-BITE is also a good thing to take along and watch the sand fleas on the beach at night. Make sure everyone's legs are well coated with bug spray. Our favorite night was Friday before we left. The beach party had very good food and not as spicy that night due to the smoker and BBQ but you have to spray or the sand fleas will attack your legs. Sunsets on the beach are also a must attend... with everyone pouring out on the beach to experience it.. it was fun. Take a walk down the beach to Kosmos souvenier stand. You can get your hair braided right next door for $40 and you will find many of the same items as the shopping centers for a better price such as Rum Cream in flavors and Blue Mountain Coffee to take home as gifts!

27  Thank Peg152
Reviewed 8 May 2006

The four of us, 2 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 12, stayed at Beaches Negril April 6-15. The 1 1/2 hour shuttle ride from the airport to the resort was almost like an excursion - we were able to get a birds eye view of Jamaica, its culture and great ocean views. We arrived at around 4:30pm and were greeted at Beaches with smiles and Jamaican hospitality. The resort was colorful, lush and happening. The host immediately sat us down while we waited to be taken to our room and offered us drinks. Prior to leaving for our trip, I put in a couple of requests to be put into a Savannah building. When the host was ready to take us to our room, I asked him what building we were in. He said we were in the Savannah building, but proceeded to take us to a room in the Santa Cruz building at the end of the resort. (I suspect he was aware of my request, but was avoiding the situation) I didn't realize this until after he had dropped us off at our room and left. If he had just been honest with me and said there were no rooms available in the Savannah building, I would have understood. I'm an understanding person and these things happen, especially at a busy time like Spring Break. Anyway, feeling a little betrayed, I calmy walked to the concierge and explained to them what happened. They offered a week apology - that's all. No attempts were made to work something out. So I offered a solution: I asked them to please check to see if anyone was checking out the next day of the Savannah building. Sure enough, there was, and we were able to move into that room the next day. I guess Jamaicans are wired differently - they have a very laid back approach. But we did pay a really pretty price for this trip, travelled 16 hours to get there, and were going to make our trip the best it could be.

BEACH: Awesome, beautiful. The resort did a great job keeping it cleaned every day. I appreciated the security at both ends of the beach. We made sure we gave them our names and room number every time we passed. Who needs to go to town to souvenier shop when you can just walk along the 7 mile beach and shop at the many vendors along the way. Stop at a beach side bar and order a drink, like from Margaritaville.

FOOD: The Seville was the best restaurant at the resort. Had the best steak there. After my husband and I ate dinner there, and met up with our 2 kids who loved their independent dinner alone at the Last Chance Saloon - the kids bragged about their huge steak. We went there the next night and sure enough, one of the biggest steaks we'd seen. The Mill had a good variety of foods every day. I don't know why people complain on this about there not being enough selections at the Mill - how much do you people need to eat? The Mill had great and different deserts every night. I did find a mangled toothpick laying flat under the cheese while eating a piece of pizza that I got from the Cafe Carnival - this did make me loose my appetite the rest of the day.

BAR/DRINKS: I'm a nice pleasant person and always respect the help, and felt the bartenders were not friendly. The only nice and warm bartender I met up with was a female - very sweet. Regardless, I continued my good manners with them.

EAR INFECTIONS: Both my kids got them, my son got his after the first day there. Total doctor/medicine cost of $350. My kids hardly ever get sick. Hmmmm. We've been to Maui a couple of times and Mexico - NEVER had any problems with ear infections there. Thank goodness for the XBOX room - my son had somewhere to go being that he couldn't be in the sun with his antiobiotics. My daughter was given a different antiobiotic that allowed her to go into the sun, so she was able to be outside (but had to keep her head out of the water).

POOLS: I suspect the ear infections were from the pools, as my kids did not put their heads under water in the ocean. I was leary of the pools as they were a little cloudy (different from the other tropical resorts we had been to where the pools were clear).

WATER SPORTS: Great. No complaints there. Forget your morning work out in the gym - just get on one of the water bikes and ride for a while.

NOISE: The Resort Disco was loud late at night. We checked it out and there was only about 5 teenagers in it - very small cramped narrow room. Was it worth having the loud music for the resort to hear late at night while only entertaining 5 people? Also, I think the resort needs to invest in different luggage carts that have quiet rubber wheels that take late night/early morning arrivals to their rooms. They are so loud.

CHECK-OUT: We were told to have our luggage ready by the door at 9:30am for pickup - our shuttle was leaving at 10:30am. After the 3 times it took me to go to the front desk and remind them to pick up our luggage, they still didn't show. Also, when I reminded them, all they would say is "don't worry, they're on their way". After my 3rd reminder, I said to them, "how do you know, you don't even know my name or room number?". They said, "oh, what IS your room number?". Then we get a phone call from the front desk at 10:30am telling us our shuttle is waiting for us and asking us where we are, we reminded them again that they still needed to pick up our luggage first. We did have a nice narrated tour by the shuttle driver from the resort to the airport - very nice and eductional about Jamaica's history.

It was a fun vacation. We love Jamaica. We don't feel a strong pull back to Beaches Negril. We'll probably go to Mexico along the Caribbean next time and try an all-inclusive there.

12  Thank SlamSez4
Reviewed 8 May 2006

Recently returned from a week at Beaches Negril with my husband and 3 kids ages 13, 12 & 8. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and just loved everything about it. We used clives for our transfer to and from the airport and could not have been happier with their service as well. We used the water sports everyday of our stay and my 8 year old could not get enough of the kids camp. We had no problems with the food or the service. My kids could not get enough of the self serve ice cream and by the time we left even had their favorite frozen drink (which the bartenders seemed to always remember when then came to order before they even asked). I cannot understand how someone could not have a great time at this resort. Our room was perfect size for our family and always cleaned spotless. I did have a hard time getting the shower water to a good temperature but after my 3rd shower I figured that out. We did not mind the photographers walking around the resort and actually grew quite fond of one in particular that we had meet us at certain spots so we could get more pictures. You are under no obligation to buy or even look at your pictures but we looked and bought they were all so beautiful. Overall I would absolutely stay here again and can't wait to get back.

19  Thank jolary03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!