“Just Got Back From Beaches Negril!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Just Got Back From Beaches Negril!”
Reviewed 30 May 2006

My husband, myself and our 4 year old son just returned on Sunday from a 5 day stay at Beaches Negril. We would definitely go back to this resort. It was beautiful.

The airport was not crowded and they directed us to the Beaches waiting area promptly. It was a nice reception area with Red Stripe and a soda fountain. It was nicely decorated, cool, and had really clean restrooms. They told us our bus would be ready to go in 10 minutes and they came and got us in less than that amount of time. We were the only ones on the bus to the resort. I had been dreading the ride there but it went by quickly. We stopped once for a bathroom break, the driver was nice and told us about the country, the road wasn't bumpy...not at all what I was expecting.

At the resort, check-in was very swift and organized. Our room was ready. They gave us rum punch and a drink and cookies for my son. They took us to our room in the Montpelier Building on the third floor. The balconey overlooked where they did the weddings and there were a lot of weddings! They were all beautiful and fun to watch. The room was nice and clean. We had no problems with water pressure, broken toilets, TV reception or bugs of any kind. From some other reviews I was expecting the worst, but was greatly surprised there were no problems!

As far as mosquitoes go...I had like 5 bottles of insect repellants and we never used any of it. We had no bites and I can't even remember seeing any mosquitoes.

I read about the photographers approaching you to take pictures, but I never saw them! No one bothered us about drugs. There was one guy on the beach trying to sell necklaces but the resort security got rid of him real fast. The security guards are really looking out to see who is on the beach.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous. There are so many beach chairs out there. We had no problem whatsoever getting chairs on the beach. The chairs at the pools were not so plentiful though. The water at the beach is crystal clear, the sand is soft like powder. It's very clean. It's actually breathtaking. The pools, however, were kinda gross to me. Maybe I'm just particular about that. They did seem a bit cloudy to me and there were a lot of bugs floating which is not very inviting to me. The lazy river was cloudy also. We didn't get in it and I didn't let my son in it and tried to keep him in the ocean. I managed to get him home without an ear infection and I can see how kids might get one from swimming in those pools. We did see them cleaning the pools every day and as a pool owner I know it's hard to keep junk off the top of the water, and those pools at the resort are enormous...so it's a big job. If you don't want to risk getting an ear infection I would mostly swim in the ocean. It's much cleaner.

As far as the food goes, we only ate at the Mill. It was just easier for us with our 4 year old. There is a place that has pizza, but it was really greasy. The food at the Mill is buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a really big selection of foods. Chances are you can find something you like, but don't expect it to taste fabulous. I lost weight while I was there. The drinks at the bars are like slightly different versions of the same thing. We really didn't bother drinking that much. What was really good was the Jamaican Rum Cream that we got at the gift shop and put in our coffee every morning and evening. It's better than Irish cream.

Kids Kamp was okay. Our son didn't like it too much the first time we took him. The second time he didn't want to leave. Some of the people that work there were maybe not so welcoming. It was a really tiny room. They did some fun things though...the Jamaican way...real slow. The parade with the sesame street characters was really fun.

Overall, the staff at this resort, and most of the people you run into in Jamaica, are very friendly. They either knew my son by name, or called him "Junior" or something. The point is..they always acknowledged him some way or another. Any time we requested anything, it was brought to us in a timely manner and with a good attitude. We have no complaints about the Jamaicans.

The check-out was done quickly, the bus left on time for the airport. However, this driver didn't talk to us and he drove kind of fast and there was a lot of jostling about. My son got motion sick and luckily we had a plastic bag for him to throw up in! My husband and I were also starting to feel ill. So if you or someone in your family gets motion sickness, remember to bring something just in case the driver is a wild one.

I was in Jamaica 16 years ago and had always wanted to go back and I got the chance to go with my husband and son. It's one of those places that leaves an imprint on you. We would go back to this resort in a heartbeat.

Don't forget to watch the sun set.

Please feel free to e-mail.

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,220)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2006

Its ok. Food was reasonable. Kids club was great. An italian couple stole our stroller, but later returned it without any demands for ransom!!!!!

i would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2003
3 Thank alam555
Reviewed 17 May 2006

I just return from a 5 night stay at Beaches Negril in Jamaica and I must say that I was completely pleased with my chose. I am not going to make this long because i will go on and on. I didn't know what to expect after reading some reviews but i was so pleased when i arrived. The service is excellent and they offer alot of entertainment. i highly recommend this resort.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 May 2006

Beaches Negril is a very good family resort. We stayed there 5/2 – 5/8. This was our first time to Beaches, but third time to Jamaica in the last four years. We stayed at Couples Negril and Ocho Rios the previous times. Now that we have a 16 month old, we thought we would give the family resort a chance.

After clearing customs, we found the resort reception center with no problems. I am still trying to figure out how a guy in a previous review could not find the reception center. We waited in the reception area for only about 10 minutes before being told our transportation was ready. The ride was 90 minutes and uneventful. We made the trek before and knew what to expect.

We were greeted warmly upon our arrival at Beaches. We were the only family registering at the time so things moved quickly. I can see it taking some time if there are multiple families at one time. We were taken to our room and our bags followed shortly after. I made a request for a crib prior to arrival, but it was not in the room. However, we had a crib in less than a few hours. The room was nice. Not great, but more than met our needs. We lost water pressure a few times, but for only a few seconds. Hot water was never an issue.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Remember one thing, they operate on Jamaican time. This means they don’t run around frantically to get things done. If you are a person always in a hurry, you may be disappointed in the service. The food selection was plentiful. We enjoyed most of the food, while finding a few things not to our liking. The great thing is that if you don’t like something, you can always get something else. We found the Seville Restaurant to be a great experience. Almost forgot, the drinks were just fine as well. However, it does take some time to get a drink every now and then. If you are eating at the Mill, you may want to get your drinks before sitting down.

The big selling point of Beaches is the Kids Camp and it did not disappoint. Our son received great care and attention. They understand when a toddler is dropped off; they may need some extra attention until they adjust. They provided that extra attention. We also used the after hour nanny. It was easy to set up and relatively inexpensive. Many parents with older kids said they could not get their kids out of camp.

One thing we noticed at Beaches is the number of larger weddings. Our room was located close to where the wedding celebrations took places. There was a lot of loud music going on until 11 PM. This is rough when you want your kid to go to sleep at 9 PM. The room #s from 700 – 900 were the ones that were mainly effected.

In summary, we would recommend Beaches Negril for a family vacation. If you are a couple going on vacation, we would recommend staying at one of the couple resorts.

• Stayed May 2006
33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We went to Beaches Negril in Mid January for a destination wedding (60 people!!!) I have to admit I lurked on trip advisor reading all the negative reviews beforehand... but it was fabulous!

Rooms: They were clean, colorful and AC and water was great! Maid service was good, and we had internet connection for our laptop as well...

Beach: perfect!!! Beautiful water... no rocks! Clean! No peddlers! Plenty of sun chairs!

Pool: clean, beautiful and fun. The Lazy river and water slides were fun for the adults as well as the kids.

Service: The staff at the hotel was amazing! Always friendly and willing to accommodate.

Food:
The Seville was a nice dinner. Good food and great service.
The Japanese restaurant was fun and entertaining.
The buffet was good! Always had a variety of food. I often frequented "Kids Corner" for the staple items... chicken fingers and fries!

Scuba: A few of us were certified and went on at least one dive a day. They were great! Boat picks you up from the beach and brings you out for about an hour dive (either 30 or 60 feet) Visibility was great! My husband got certified while we were there through the resort... it takes a few days but it is cheaper and quicker than doing it at home (roughly $300 US for PADI certification).

EXCERSIONS:
Ricks Cafe was fun!!!
Don't do the shopping in town... If you choose to do some shopping... there are shops right down the beach... walking distance.... much cooler and safer...
We also did the ZIPLINING... it was fun, but hot and you are thoroughly exhausted when you get back! Lots of walking.. hills.. ect...

Overall.. It was a great experience. I would definitely go back! It was a great place for families or groups to go!

• Stayed January 2006
23 Thank traveler1978
Southampton United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2006

We stayed at Beaches Negril from 29th April 06 - 6th May 06. I travelled with my husband and son aged 3. We stayed at Beaches Turks & Caicos last year and the resorts are very similar although there was a great vibe at this resort as the high spirits of the staff are fantastic and really help you to enjoy your holiday. My son used the kids camp twice and both experiences were good - very friendly staff and the Seaseme Street characters were fab as they made various apperances throughout the day (All in your schedule!). The Seaseme Street shows were good although a little short but guess they must get hot in those costumes! We aslo paid for a character breakfast $32 for the three of us held in the Seville restaurant which all the characters attend and gives you photo opportunities. The beach is as gorgeous as it looks in the brochure and the watersports guys were great, took our son on a hobie cat boat and on the big aqua trike bikes. The waterpark lazy river was good fun. My only concern was the lack of entertainment in the evening as there wasnt anything to do much past ten. There is no bar/seating area except for the reception/lobby area to sit and have a drink as in Turks & Caicos there was a huge area so this is the only negative point I have to make about this resort. Anyone travelling will have a fab time and any UK potential visitors reading this do not fear as you will not be the only non american there! We stayed in the Grande De Luxe Beachfront which was lovely accommodation and enough room for our family with a gorgeous sea view. All in all we loved it and would not hesitate in going back. If you need any questions answering please feel free to contact me. Have a great time!

• Stayed April 2006
22 Thank Holiday902
Reviewed 9 May 2006

For the price we paid ($4,000 w/air from Chicago for 2 adults) this property was way overpriced. If you are looking for all the booze you can drink, this is a great place. If you are looking for Ultra Rating food, this place is sadly lacking and I suggest taking a cruise instead. We could have gone on two cruises for what we paid for one week here. The beach was great and well manicured. The hotel workers were nice people for the most part. You are going to find good and bad anywhere you go, but for the price we paid even with an upgraded room, we were very disappointed. We were there for my son's wedding. We were placed in a room on the third floor and asked for a room change even if it meant a downgrade, but they were unable to accommodate us due to being full. The wedding we were there for had 25 people all staying at Beaches and I felt they could have done more for us due to the volume of people staying 5days to a week. The wedding itself was beautiful on a beautiful day on a Negril Beach. We enjoyed the fast moving and far from lazy river with our 10 yr old grand-daughter who only found out the last day there that you can get chicken nuggets at the hamburger stand. We also made good use of the popcorn machine and ice cream machine as well as the pizza. The food wasn't the greatest, but if you look around there is something that can get you through the week. The drinks are great as are most of the bartenders. We aren't big drinkers but there were tons of non-alcohol smoothies such as The Mickey Mouse that were full of fresh fruit and you can watch them blending them right in front of you. Also, the two swim-up bars were loads of fun, as were the waterslides. What a treat not to have to wait in lines!!! We loved the snorkeling, especially when one of the Beaches people dove and picked up living things for us to check out and put back. It was very interesting and educational. The Hobie Cat sailboats were tons of fun but take a couple towels for your legs and back and don't stay out too long or you may be burned. Remember to ask for fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast. They have a machine out for the masses, but will give you fresh squeezed when asked. Also, fresh, sweet bananas and milk are great in the morning, as well! All in all and on our own, we had a fun time with the water park and things to do. Parasailing with Jimmy was great and only $40 per person from what I heard. We also took a ride to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville is only a one mile walk down the beautiful 7 mile beach! The trip is what you make it, and it is probably a great place if you have kids. Bug spray and #50 protective lotion are a must. Make sure you take a small first aid kit if you have kids for the bites and scraps. AFTER-BITE is also a good thing to take along and watch the sand fleas on the beach at night. Make sure everyone's legs are well coated with bug spray. Our favorite night was Friday before we left. The beach party had very good food and not as spicy that night due to the smoker and BBQ but you have to spray or the sand fleas will attack your legs. Sunsets on the beach are also a must attend... with everyone pouring out on the beach to experience it.. it was fun. Take a walk down the beach to Kosmos souvenier stand. You can get your hair braided right next door for $40 and you will find many of the same items as the shopping centers for a better price such as Rum Cream in flavors and Blue Mountain Coffee to take home as gifts!

• Stayed April 2006
27 Thank Peg152
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!