“Wow! Nine Nine in Paradise, and I still couldn't get enough of it!”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Portage, Michigan
“Wow! Nine Nine in Paradise, and I still couldn't get enough of it!”
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Wow! Nine nights in paradise and I still couldn’t get enough of it!
What an amazing vacation and time with my family. Words cannot express the experience we had at Beaches Negril. It was exactly what we needed to relax, have fun and reconnect.

Authentic Caribbean
Beaches Negril is an authentic Caribbean resort in an ideal location with the most perfect beach and water. This resort isn’t cosmopolitan and chic, it is tropical and picturesque…exactly what you think of when you envision a Caribbean resort. Lush tropical gardens that invite you to your room, excellent service and dining options, friendly staff, amazing inclusions in regards to watersports and kid’s activities, plus the romantic sunsets. Need I say more?

The Beach: WOW!
The resort is located on the famous seven mile stretch of beach in Negril Jamaica. In our opinion, it is one of the best beaches in all Jamaica! The pictures don’t even touch the true beauty. Perfectly clear blue waters – not just in a few spots, but everywhere! Soft powdery white sand beach with plenty of room for personal space.

So Much Included
By now everyone is wondering why I’m so excited about this resort….it’s not like I’ve never travelled before, right? I would have to say that the extra things you receive that you don’t get at other all-inclusive resorts played a huge role in my love for Beaches Negril. We took full advantage of the extras that we didn’t have to dish out money for.

Watersports:
This was big for our family. Our kids are quite active and found these inclusions to be exactly what they were needed for a fun-filled beach vacation.

Snorkeling:
Snorkeling was something we took advantage of several times. It’s not just gear that they throw at you and hope that you find something out there on your own… you get on a boat and are taken to a site. You can sign up every day if you want! Our family spotted sting rays, sea snakes, jelly fish, barracuda and of course very colorful fish!

Water Sking and Knee Boarding
Our youngest daughter (age 9), took a waterskiing & knee boarding lesson and then tried it out! Beaches all inclusive resorts in Jamaica, do a great job of providing lessons for many of the water sports, so that all of their guests will be able to enjoy as many activities as possible. The lessons and instructors are very patient and great with children, as well as, the bigger kids, like my husband.

The girls (ages 13-19) went kayaking several times and also went out on the Hobie Cat with an instructor. They have a great Banana Boat that all of us had fun on. If you didn't know, a Banana boat is like raft or tube shaped like a banana, and you can get about five or six people on it, and then a speed boat pulls the boat going super fast! It was a blast.

Scuba
Scuba is available for certified divers for free, or if you want to learn how to Scuba, then you can take a class that will cost $80.00. If you are a Certified Diver, you are allowed 2 tank dives daily and those who become certified through the class, will get to dive once daily. An incredible value!

A Water Park Too!
Beaches Negril in Jamaica, also has a great water park right on the resort! It has two really big water slides that were very fast! There is also the lazy river. Kids or adults get a life jacket on and get into this river style pool, and the current takes you in a loop around the whole water park. There are life guards and staff around and watching at all time, so the kids are in a safe environment all the time. There is also a giant hot tub that all people can sit in and relax in the water park area as well.

Daily Activities: Especially For the Whole Family
Every evening we received a bulletin that shared all the events and activities going on the next day. This allowed us to schedule specific things we wanted to be a part of. Whether it is a beach party for the Kids ages 8-12 or a talent show, we could get involved if we wanted. Our youngest took full advantage of the kids club for “tweens” while our teenage daughters did their own thing during the day and went to Club Liquid in the evenings when they had teen events. Each list of activities is separated by age groups: ages 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-12 and Teens. The younger kids clubs (2-3, 4-5) would have a letter of the day with a Sesame Street Character and unique activities like Bake with Cookie Monster, Dance with Zoe, Mini-Golf etc. 6&7 year olds would have waterpark fun, Tie-Dye, Nail & Face painting etc. Kids 8-12 would have a Disco Party, pizza making, dodge ball, beach Olympics etc. Teen Activities would be things like beach volleyball, Kayaking, Margaritaville Party at Margaritaville, Treasure Hunts, Beach Parties etc. The camp personnel did a great job at keeping kids entertained so that parents could have a little one on one time with each other.

More Kids Activities:
Beaches all-inclusive resort in Negril, also has a teen disco club, called club liquid, an Xbox 360 game room, that is good for kids of all ages, even the big ones like my husband, who loved the college football game, and an outdoor play area with mini golf.

Fitness Center: The Beaches Negril resort also had a decent fitness center. It was an open air facility with all of your basic equipment and free weights. I would say the fitness center is adequate, but could use some updating.

Evening Entertainment
Evening entertainment varied from night to night and was also in the daily schedule of activities. The Sesame Street Parades and shows were always early in the evening so the little ones could enjoy it before falling asleep! Karaoke, adult dance parties, Salsa lessons are all part of the experience here. The best evening shows we saw were the Circus Show (acrobats, flame throwers etc.) and the Steel Drum Band.

While we were in Jamaica, there was an awesome steal drum band that performed. They were the best performers of the whole week, at least that is my opinion. Check out their video! I put it on you tube as well.!

Dining:

I would have to say that watching calories is completely pointless on a trip like this! Beaches Negril has great restaurants and amazing food. We enjoyed daily breakfast at The Mill, which is a buffet restaurant that serves all three meals daily. Every day there was something a little different to get and it was perfect for those evenings when we didn’t want to get dressed up for dinner. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the omelets every morning and the kids thought the chicken nuggets and Mac & Cheese were awesome! This restaurant has a cute “Kids Corner” set low for the little ones to get their own food as well as small tables set for them each day. Nice touch!
The Mill restaurant was always a great choice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Teppanyaki:
We also enjoyed two dinners at Kimonos where we devoured wonderful teppanyaki foods made with flare. We weren’t thrilled with the desserts at Kimonos though, you might want to head to The Mill to see what they have on their buffet!
Our chef at Kimonos was very entertaining and our meal was great too!

Burgers and Pizza:
Most lunches we went to The Last Chance Saloon. The burgers there were great and their dinner menu was also really good. Next to The Last Chance was a pizza bar, where pizza was available for you to grab all day long and a café to order some burgers, nuggets fries etc. Again, no place to count calories!Every meal was delicious and the service was always friendly.

Italian
Seville is the Italian restaurant and is a long evening, but well worth it. We ate there twice and everyone agreed that the Lasagna was fantastic! The menu had a lot of variety. In fact, all of the restaurants have a very diverse menu. You can try lots of food choices, and then find your favorites. Before you leave, go to your favorite restaurant and get your favorite meal one more time.

I almost forgot! There is an ice cream machine available for self-serve cones! Perfect for kids of all ages!

Great drinks for adults and kids:
For drinks, the girls enjoyed virgin Miami Vices and specialty drinks, and Lou and I had our fair share of Pina Coladas…we also discovered the Jamaican Smile and loved it! You could get pretty much any type of mixed drink or cocktail that you could think of, both in virgin form and alcoholic.

Tipping:

If you’ve traveled to all-inclusive resorts before, you know that tipping, while stated that it is included, is expected. Not here! Tipping is not allowed on the resort. You will receive a high level of service even though a tip is not anticipated. Doesn’t that sound nice?

Do you see why I’m so excited about this resort? I think that the value is incredible and I know you’ll agree.

I would highly recommend this resort for a destination wedding, a family reunion, a family vacation, a girlfriend getaway and even a honeymoon! There is something for everyone at Beaches Negril.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank tamisantini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,218)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2010

There was simply nothing to find wrong with this place.

My four year old LOVED the kids camp, ...and by day three he told us "GO! No mommy's and Daddy's!"... which surprised us, being very protective and apprehensive of his well being. My wife and I were able to enjoy time together without worry.

We also used the Nanny Service provided, which was EXCELLENT and Very Secure. We at no time felt unsure of his safety, and with good reason.

The resort was excellent in tracking/logging us as guests on the beach and during water sports. we felt like special guests the entire time. The security was EXCELLENT.

The pools and waterpark were clean and meticulously maintained every day, and again the staff was amazing in accomodating us at every turn.

The entire staff were like family by the end of the trip...a truly great feeling, and a tribute to the extremely hard working crew at the resort. There were renovations at the resort during our stay, but this in no way hampered or effected our trip in any fashion.

The room we stayed in was beautiful, being a beachfront honeymoon with concierge service. The entire process of check in, and check out was incredibly flawless. Check in was amazing, right out of customs, there was a person to direct us to the airport lounge, where we were met by friendly staff to take our bags to the bus. THE BUS RIDE WAS WONDERFUL, stopping halfway for some jerk chicken and Red Stripe beer...
Upon arrival, our bags were taken to our room, and we were checked in and offered sparkling wine or beer in an air conditioned lounge...Absolutely spectacular service.

Upon leaving the resort, the service of confirming our flights, picking up our bags and delivering us safely to the departure terminal was 100% headache free and very much appreciated.

Overall, the children's entertainment was wonderful, and watching the reaction on my boy's face with the surprise of the Sesame Street characters was worth every penny!

Every night there was entertainment for both children and adults...we were so beat at the end of each day, that we slept very solidly and were up for sunrise.

The watersports were easy and fun. Snorkelling on the coral reef was unreal! and sailing the Hobie cats was incredible every morning! The beach was beautiful, clean and like nothing i have ever seen. My son loved every minute of it

I will be going back next November.

5 Thank Riproren
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 December 2010

During the last week of November, my family and I (kids 16, 13, 13 and 8) traveled to Beaches Negril. The reservation process was painless and our travel went very well. We were greeted just outside baggage claim by a representatvie who took our bags and loaded a van to take us to the resort.

Check in was fairly simple and our bellman gave us a quick tour of the property before depositing our bags in the room. Since is was about 3:30 PM we headed to the pool to relax a bit before dinner. My first impression was room was a bit small (compared to web site photos), but we were in the least expensive rooms. The property was nice, but seems less nice than I would have expected for the price (about $1,800 per person for 7 nights - at a 55% discount). I was initially not overly impressed.

Service from the bar was slow, you had to ask rather than being asked after eye contact (barman will not make eye contact - or so I thought). After day three I tossed the idea of NO tipping out the window and provided some nominal tips ($2 or $3 a day) to barman and othe wait staff. Suddenly they knew my name, my kids names and our drinks came immediately when we stepped up to the bar (respect mon). Service was not initially bad and folks were friendly, they were just more attentive after some nominal tips.

The beach was fantastic, the swimming area never more than waist deep (6'2" person) and even when full to capacity, beach chairs were available as was shade.

Pool chairs are much less available, but who cares, the ocean was warm and the waves not too big (no waves) for the youngest of children.

Food was very good for buffet style resort food. The specialty restruants were nice as well (Itialian and seafood). Make your reservations in the main restruant at 7AM the day you want to dine.

After a day or two I came to realize the real value in the resort where the activities, SCUBA and snorkeling included are a great value (price a trip seperate to see). My family snokeled at least one time each day, which I estimate to be a $450 value per day ($75X6 people). In addition, my three older children and I SCUBA dived twice. The cost of a SCUBA trip would have been around $150 per dive per person per dive.

My kids did not use many of the kid activities, but the xBox area was a hit with my 8 year old. Also, the teens played volly ball of the beach a bit with their peers (lots of teens).

There were a few things I though was missing or misleading. 1. No beer in the fridge in the room. 2. No snack foods (without cost) in room. 3. No bubble maker SCUBA program (advertised as free on web site) for <10 year olds. They had a $125 pay program instead. 4. Resort SCUBA course appears that you can dive every day after the course, you can't, you only get 2 dives. 5. Photos taken by the resort are really expensive.

One last item, we were without water for one full 24 hour period in one of your rooms (we had two rooms thank goodness). The reason give was a broken water main. I don't believe that to be the case, I beleive it was becasue we were on an end room in the last building on the property and the day we had not water was the day the hotel was full. Our kids room (two rooms away) had water. So I belvie it was not a broken main, but just a lack of capacity. I made a very polite complaint and suggested (nicely) the idea of compensation. About a day later I was offered 1 free night on a future say. I asked for and received $100 off our photos instead.

We will go to Beaches again. But, before we do we will all be PADI certified divers and make good use of the SCUBA diving at the resort.

2 Thank rpenczek
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We stayed for 5 nights in the Honeymoon Ocean View Suite, which looked much nicer online than in person, and is not actually a "suite" at all. The "suite" was run down and the bathroom was like something found in a motel 6. The service was extremely slow. Expect to wait for everything, when hours would go by we ended up having to get most things ourselves (our bags at check in, drinks and lunch at "cabana service", milk for the kids, water at dinner, high chair at dinner, etc.). With a few exceptions, the staff was rude and apathetic... we asked for towels poolside when they ran out, and the towel boy (who was standing next to the empty rack labeled "towels" which he had filled with towels an hour earlier) told us that towels are not provided at the pool and to go find some ourselves. this was the typical attitude of most of he staff.

the food is standard buffet stuff... not horrible, the kids liked it, but don't expect great food. "stew fish" restaurant is not buffet style and in great setting right on the beach but was closed for some reason along with the other table service restaurant for the majority of our stay.

great beach, covered areas to sit. calm shallow ocean, awesome for the kids. save yourself 25 bucks for a plastic shovel in the gift shop and bring some beach toys (and sunblock!) from home. the lazy river also great, but make sure you're out by 4:55 PM or risk a tongue lashing from the disgruntled lifeguard who clearly hates you just slightly less than she hates her job. (don't ask her for a towel either)

didn't use the kids club... people we met on the trip had a bad experience, and since we couldn't trust the staff to do even the most basic tasks we weren't going to trust them to watch our young kids around pools/ocean etc..

don't get married here either! there were 4 weddings on the saturday night we were here... it is not a big enough place for 4 simultaneous weddings! a dj was blaring for one reception while another ceremony was starting. we felt bad for the couple who exchanged rings with "big pimpin" in the background.

look elsewhere... we love jamaica, we've been many other places in caribbean, there are better places to go!

Reviewed 29 November 2010

Our recent vacation at Beaches Negril was wonderful! The location & the property were beautiful. Lots to see & do - always activities or music. Spa services were professional & clean. The staff was so friendly that several even remembered us by name. The large variety of food choices was more than we expected & tasted even better. Eating at Steam Fish on opening night was a treat & everything we tried was scrumptious. We hated to leave & would love to return someday.

• Stayed November 2010
Norwalk, Ct.
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Our extended family stayed at Beaches Negril from November 20th thru November 26th. We were with our children, thier spouses and our four grandchildren (ages:4,8,12,16). There were 10 of us total. I contribute to Tripadvisor and always check the reviews before I go anywhere. I had heard from friends that it was a great place for a family to go but still checked out the reviews on Tripadvisor. As always there were good reviews and not so good reviews. Before I give details. let me just say that if this resort does not meet your requirements for a wonderful family vacation maybe you should just not travel and stay home. My husband and I usually travel by ourselves and we have been to just about every Caribbean Island and to Jamaica many times. I am mentioning this so you have some idea of our expertise in this area. Actually, we usually go to Couples resorts in Jamaica which recieves all sorts of rewards every year which it deserves. Not to take anything away from Couples (we love it) but Beaches is right up there in location, atmosphere, great service and (very surprisingly) excellent food!!!!! This experience was so wonderful that I am going to go into detail on the different aspects.
Food:
I am going to start with food because some of the reviews were not very complimentary on this subject. We eat out a lot and live near NY city so we are used to a lot of variety and great restaurants. First of all, many, many thanks to the director of food and beverage...Roan!!! (I am not sure exactly what your title is but it should be King Roan). Wow! You made our dining experience the best. Thank you for your service, your advice and your kindness to our family. You should be very proud of these fine restaurants and the way everyone is treated who eats at them. I have no idea how you manage all this. I really wanted to try all the restaurants and we did. We never had a bad meal and the dinners were 5 star all the way.
Kimonos: Japanese Teppanyaki style......what a great show for everyone! Our chef and our waiters were amazing......they can stand up to the best in any restaurant of this type anywhere. Our chef was so entertaining (and very good juggling utensils) and all of the staff sang and got the kids involved in the show. The food was excellent and you could have as much as you wanted of the shrimp, steak, chicken, pork and fresh fish! Don't miss this experience....you need reservations.
The Seville: This used to be reservations only and had a dress code.......not any more but we dressed up because it is a very elegant restaurant and worth dressing well for. Everything here was wonderful with a definite Italian flavor. It seems everyone had something different and it was all good. Service was at a leisurely pace but even our four year old was able to handle it.
Last Chance Salon: Tex Mex and again, really good. A favorite of the kids and adults also. The margaritas are wonderful and unusual. You serve yourself for the appetizers but are served your dinner by an attentive staff.
The Mill: This is open for all meals everyday. We always had breakfast here. It is buffet and you could really put on some pounds here just for breakfast! They will cook eggs anyway you want them and they make the omelettes to order. They also make fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast everyday....the kids loved them! Fresh fruit, waffles, pancakes, smoked salmom, fish, bacon, sausage, potaotoes (well you get the idea!). We all really miss those breakfasts.
Cafe Carnival: Kids favorite....delicious pizza all day, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken etc. Right by the pool....just walk up, no waiting! And right next to the all you can eat ice cream machine. Kids can help themselves to cones all day long (and they certainly did!)
The brand new Seafood restaurant: On the beach, opened while we were there. Thanks again Roan for the information and reservation. We are all seafood lovers and we were not disappointed. What could be better than sitting at a table on the beach eating wonderful seafood? Great idea....be sure to have dinner here at least one night. Not to be missed!!!!
The Bar at the Pool: Have to put this in because it was a HUGE favorite with all of us (they make great virgin Pina Colada and Strawberry Daquiris for the kids). They also have pictures and descriptions of about 30 original drinks they make. These bartenders are amazing! How do they do it? My son-in-law Paul misses this the most. He sends greetings to all of you. The bardenders were always friendly and accommodating no matter how many people were screaming orders at them. Respect Mon to all of you!
You kept us all happy and sane!
Ok now for some other things besides food and drinks!
Pools: Kids loved Pirates Island Waterpark.....pools, lazy river, water slides. This was fun for the entire family. The Lazy river is not so lazy with four grandchildren!
The Ocean: Warm, clean, beautiful....my favorite!
Beach: Wow! Sand as far as the eye can see. Plenty of chairs, sun and shade....beautiful.
Snorkeling: Respect to the guys on the snorkeling boat. We went everyday and they were great. Fun to be with and very helpful. If you are taking kids, teach them to snorkle before you go ....... we did and it was great. Saw tons of intersting fish, coral, starfish, barracudas and even stingrays! We actually went twice a day! loved it!
Scuba: My husband is a scuba fan and went four times. He had a great time and thought the scuba people were great.
Photo Shop: We planned ahead to have a family photo taken at sunset. This is a great idea and I encourage everyone to do it. There is no charge for the photo session (ours lasted 35 minutes). You can buy photos or not, up to you....no pressure. Our photogragher was Nicola and she was patient and professional and took some beautiful shots. Her suggestions were right on! Thank you Nicola!!!!
Rooms: We were in the Blue building right in the heart of everything. I was worried about noise but there was no problem. Remember, there are a lot of kids here and i think everyone is pretty tired at night and goes to bed early....we sure did!!! The rooms were just fine. We had double beds and a rollaway in the two rooms with kids.My husband and I had a king size bed. Everyone said the beds were very comfortable. Housekeeping was very good. The entire resort is very clean!!!! Try to remember this is a resort in the Caribbean not the Plaza in New York City!
Well, I guess you might want to hear a few negatives at this point. Sorry.......I checked with everyone in our party and they all said it was the perfect vacation! I think my four year old grandson put it perfectly when he said..."Gramie, i love Jamaica....it's a whole new world". Indeed!

4 Thank meadowdale
Denver, CO
Reviewed 25 November 2010

We just got home from our family vacation to Jamaica. We spent five days at Beaches Negril and hade a great time. The weather was spectacular and it was tough to leave. We picked Beaches Negril because it looked like it would have plenty of stuff for our kids (14 and 15) to do during the vacation. They definitely stayed occupied the whole time. The hotel is also geared toward younger kids (with a lot of Sesame Street themed activities) but there was plenty for teenagers and adults to do.

The hotel itself is very nice. A solid three stars. The buildings and rooms are well maintained (actually there was a fair amount of upgrade work going on while we were there). The beach is spectacular. The pools are OK, but not quite as impressive as the beach. The water park isn't as big as you might think from the hotel website, but still fun.

The hotel staff is very friendly and accomodating. We weren't blown away by the restaurants, but also didn't venture much beyond the main buffet and the piazza areas. We did try one of the resevation only restaurants (Kimono's) and enjoyed it. Definitely make youre reservations early, as the place books up very quickly each morning.

We took advantage of the scuba diving program (which is included) and had fun with that, as well. The dives weren't especially memorable (definitely not on par with Cozumel) but you can't beat the price - free. If you like to dive or are interested in trying it out, definitely take advantage of what they have to offer while you are at the hotel.

I have read a few negative reviews, but honestly a lot depends on your expectations. We came in expecting a solid three star hotel on a beautiful beach with great weather and that is exaclty what we found. If you want a 4 our 5 star experience, then this may not be your best option. But, if you are looking for a quality, affordable, family vacation destination in Jamaica, this is definitely one to consider.

We loved it and if we bring the kids back to Jamaica again, we would certainly consider returning to Beach Negril.

1 Thank WandrTheWrld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!