“Pleasantly surprised, but also seriously disappointed!”
Review of Beachcomber Club

Beachcomber Club
Ranked #49 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Speaking from the perspective of 60 yr. olds, we found the Beachcomber Club a love it or hate it experience. We absolutely loved the location and its proximity to one of the finest beaches we've ever seen. Also loved the layout and architecture of the buildings on this small resort. When it was 1st built, it was surely one of the loveliest options available. However, as others have reported, it is definitely going to seed... Too bad, as it deserves to be rescued and brought up to standard. Plumbing is particularly iffy and so are the linens and furnishings. The staff are doing their best to keep things looking as well as can be and it can not be faulted for cleanliness. It is clean and we did not feel unsafe there. Food was not elegant...very common fare and repetitive. Think casual home cooking or even summer camp style. That said, it was 'clean' and perfectly edible. The bar was sufficient for anything we wanted to drink and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location can not be beat...generally central to anything one might like to do and its place on 7 Mile Beach is phenomenal. Best beach experience we've had so far. We aren't people who need to be pampered or have the best of everything...cultural experience is more what we prize. So in spite of the deterioration of this could-be-lovely resort, we had a very good week. Would I come back again? Ummmmm...maybe not. I'd look for better conditions without the 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Bring your own Beach Towels. They will lend you some, but if lost or stolen off the beach, you will...
3  Thank Sandra K
There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Club

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Just returned from a great week in Negril. Perfect location in the middle of 7 mile beach. Nice, uncrowded beach area. This small resort is a nice, inexpensive place to stay if you plan to get out and see the real Negril. Not for the picky, rooms need updating and "tour parties" at Margaritaville come in loud and clear through the walls at night. Thankfully we didn't do the "all inclusive" meal plan, there are dozens of places to eat within walking distance.

1  Thank BillSafari
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We loved our stay here, Our room was a good size. the service was great. Check-in was quick. Food was a mix of jamaican / italian, we made a request for akee and salt fish and the cook was happy to accodomate us. The hotel is right in the middle of the beach, We walked the beach and beleive that we had the nicest sandy beach area.. there is a nice store in the lobby.
The dining area, bar and pool are kept clean and tidy, Maxine cleaned our room perfect every day. Security was there during the night. The hotel is safe. The staff is friendly and nice. We are already planning to come back.

Thanks Dominique!

1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I visited this hotel last year (Feb 2012 - circa Valentine's Day Week), with a couple of my girlfriends. It was such a disappointment to drive passed so many lovely hotels and to end up there. I had my own room which was dirty upon arrival and when I complained about it, nothing was done to rectify the situation. Instead, I was mistreated for the remainder of my stay (1 week).

Our flight was delayed (no fault of the hotel), and we missed breakfast. In spite of having an "all-inclusive" reservation, breakfast was not served to us, nor any snacks even though we were tired and STARVING!

On my second day, I was able to witness a couple (who were vacationing for Valentine's Day) complain to the management and demand their money back from Sunwing before leaving the hotel to finish the remainder of their stay somewhere else. If my friends weren't on such a tight budget, I would have also left and stayed somewhere (ANYWHERE) else. This hotel is a 2 star at best.

Every meal was served in a first-come, first-serve, buffet-style. If you were not waiting in the lineup as soon as your meal was ready to be served, you missed out. It pissed me off because I paid for the all-inclusive package and ended up having to eat elsewhere almost all of the time.
The bar service was WRECTHED! Aside from the bar being under-stocked with the most obvious selections of drinks (ie. Red Stripe, which is manufactured on the island so I have no idea how that is possible), the bartender constantly ignored me and was hardly ever available to take your drink order. Again, this pissed me off because this was included in my "all-inclusive" package.

The locals who roamed the beach ranged from entertaining to annoying and they had full access to the beach so be prepared for that.

At night there was a security guard which was a positive thing, but there was nothing to do after the sun went down. The pulse of the hotel just stopped. So you had to leave the resort and find fun elsewhere.

One of the most offensive experiences I had at this venue was at lunch time one day when I decided to wait in the lineup after a nice swim in the ocean. I was in a bikini (a sporty one, not a g string or anything like that), and the server approached me and said very loudly so that everyone could hear her: "You need to cover up before you eat". If I was in my native country, I would told her to F* right off (it is a beachfront hotel and all), but I obliged and listened to her. The approach was all wrong. The staff was overall rude and seemed jealous and unwilling to please you. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back here.

As per the last post, please listen to the negative reviews as they are all consistent and very much true. This hotel is not for anyone who desires any sort of luxury. If I ever go back to Jamaica (this trip may have ruined it for me), I'll stay in Montego Bay (which is inexplicably cheaper than staying in Negril with much more to do), and just cab it to wherever I need to go. Canadian and American money go a long way here. I was able to take a 40 minute cab ride from Negril to Ochos Rios for $10CAD.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $100-$200 and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sarpony
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Beachcomberclub is the best small hotel to stay in negril .rooms are safe, people should not lied that they been rob when they dont rob just to get insurance ,each rooms had a dead bolt lock,bolts and chains. to keep safe 24 hour security, All is good at Beachcomberclub dont listen to the people with the negative view.

Room Tip: all room are nice with kingsize bed
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank sona l
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Beachcomber has a great beach location, but rooms need refreshing badly. The bathrooms need gutting toilet leaked all over floor no outlet available for blowdryer in bathroom either, only a trickle of water available from the shower as well. The rooms look as though the bedding and curtains are original probably atleast 30 years or more old. The bed linen is yellow and towels also yellow and holey. Security was mostly nonexistent with absent gatekeeper most of the time at the front of the building. We heard someone rattling our door and found large footprints outside in the morning, the adjoining room had flipflops stolen from outside, don't keep any valuables in your room. The food is good but not much variety from day to day. I have stayed in Jamaica in the past and would recommend spending a little more and stay somewhere else......

Room Tip: go somewhere else....
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nancy H
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I have just returned from a seven day stay at Beachcomber Club. I have mixed feelings about Beachcomber, so I will try to be very fair with my review.
Check in was easy, and we paid for a safety box $3.00 per day at the front desk, no in room safes and internet service $36.00 for the week. It would be nice if these two items were included, but unfortunately they were not. The internet service I did enjoy, and it worked very well.
We were taken to our room, but I cannot say that we were given any instructions or information about the Beachcomber Club. I stayed in a "Room 19B" and the main part of the room didn't look too bad. The room seemed very damp, even with the airconditioning running. The tv reception was poor. The washroom could use a major update, and the plumbing seems to be a problem around the whole Beachcomber club from what I have been told. Sometimes water would only come out at a trickle, but from up above it was dripping down the wall, the toilet was leaking and the sink had more water coming out from around the tap, than from the tap itself. The king bed was a canopy bed and the bedding looked like it had seen much better days. The suite next to us seemed as though nobody was satisfied, as they asked to be moved after the first night. Apparently, beds were too short and hard as rocks. Other people complained that their room had cockroaches, and we may have seen one baby one the last evening we were there.
We found that each meal was probably served 1/2 hour later than posted. Meals were well prepared and tasty, but repetative. Lunches seemed to be very similar to dinner meals. Each day at lunch there was french fries, and hotdog or hamburger, chicken or fish, and a salad. Sunday evening is lobster (very overdone-tough) but a good try, as this is the first of many resorts that have ever offered lobster. We also had an evening of entertainment which we enjoyed, but there were not many people watching and the bar closed an hour before the entertainment was over.
The beach is very beautiful. From the restaurant or the bar you have an excellent view. As another report states, it is not easy to get a chair with an umbrella. The chair boys only seem to be available in the morning when you are there to offer a tip. If you didn't get a chair first thing in the morning, you can get it down for yourself.
The bar for those of you that are "inclusive or almost all-inclusive" has bottled Red Stripe, Pepsi, Ting etc. which is quite nice. Other drinks however, are not all inclusive such as-those pictured all across the top of the bar- those drinks are premium and not included.
The staff are quite friendly. The atmosphere at Beachcomber seems to be very friendly and community like. I met many people that have been vacationing at Beachcomber for many years and stay for many weeks at a time on timeshares.
The major problem at the resort seemed to be the lack of good security. One evening while waiting for a shuttle, I observed the front security guard hopping out of a taxi and get into his watch station. During our stay, I had been told by many guests to keep your door locked and to ensure that the brass pegs were pushed into position as your room door could be pulled open easily, even with the dead bolt locked. Some regular visitors also bring their own security alarms for the doors, and others place glass jugs etc at their doors. I heard several reports of thefts, and things taken even while people were sleeping. Of course, you don't know if it is true, but now I do believe it. Our last evening once our lights were out, we heard the door rattle as if someone was trying to open it. It was late at night, and at first I thought perhaps we imagined it and so I had a look and didn't see anything. Once our eyes were closed I also saw a bright light shine into our room from the back side of the room. In the morning when opening our door, I saw very large sandy footprints right to our door and the door next to us. I went for breakfast and was told by a person in our complex that his two pairs of flip flops had been stolen and so were another persons. I reported this to the front desk the next morning and they acted surprised, but I'm sure they didn't do anything about it. I read a sign that said unless you are a guest at Beachcomber, you are not allowed on the premises without a guest pass. I don't believe that this was enforced as I saw many people walking through, and some guests had "night people" that they were obviously entertaining. After many visits to Jamaica, I have never witnessed such an absence of security. It is too bad, as I did have a good time at Beachcomber. I would say, that if you have a choice and the next resort didn't cost too much more, go for the place with the better reviews. Believe what the majority of the people say here on Tripadvisor, as most of what you read is the truth and it is up to you to decide what would bother you and what you would be ok with.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family