“great place”

Ranked #49 of 80 Hotels in Negril
toronto area
“great place”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This is a great place for everyone (even families).Just came from there.Feb..2013 Small resort but just perfect. Either for the quiet or partiers.The staff were very friendly and whatever you needed they would get for you. The food was very good, always a mixture, jamaican,fish,
italian. All three meals very good.If you requested something different the chef would accodomate you.The rooms were large and very nice There always updating.
We had a full living area with living rooom ,dinning room, kitchen, washer an dryer 2 bathrooms,
lovely large patio, everything you want. Just a step away to a beautiful pool, and the beach.
Best part of all Negril beaches. Very sandy and clean. Water was great, in it all the time.You could walk for ever on the beach and have all sorts of things to do, or eat out, have ice cream.
Lots of water sports to do, boat rides, wind surfing, jet skiing and more.
Just a short ride to town. There was security day and all night. We never had any problems of feeling not safe.I am difinitely returning back there and with my family.We really loved the Beachcomber club. The owners are extremely nice people.Sue (Canada)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sue h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Speaking from the perspective of 60 yr. olds, we found the Beachcomber Club a love it or hate it experience. We absolutely loved the location and its proximity to one of the finest beaches we've ever seen. Also loved the layout and architecture of the buildings on this small resort. When it was 1st built, it was surely one of the loveliest options available. However, as others have reported, it is definitely going to seed... Too bad, as it deserves to be rescued and brought up to standard. Plumbing is particularly iffy and so are the linens and furnishings. The staff are doing their best to keep things looking as well as can be and it can not be faulted for cleanliness. It is clean and we did not feel unsafe there. Food was not elegant...very common fare and repetitive. Think casual home cooking or even summer camp style. That said, it was 'clean' and perfectly edible. The bar was sufficient for anything we wanted to drink and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location can not be beat...generally central to anything one might like to do and its place on 7 Mile Beach is phenomenal. Best beach experience we've had so far. We aren't people who need to be pampered or have the best of everything...cultural experience is more what we prize. So in spite of the deterioration of this could-be-lovely resort, we had a very good week. Would I come back again? Ummmmm...maybe not. I'd look for better conditions without the 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Bring your own Beach Towels. They will lend you some, but if lost or stolen off the beach, you will...
3 Thank Sandra K
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Just returned from a great week in Negril. Perfect location in the middle of 7 mile beach. Nice, uncrowded beach area. This small resort is a nice, inexpensive place to stay if you plan to get out and see the real Negril. Not for the picky, rooms need updating and "tour parties" at Margaritaville come in loud and clear through the walls at night. Thankfully we didn't do the "all inclusive" meal plan, there are dozens of places to eat within walking distance.

1 Thank BillSafari
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We loved our stay here, Our room was a good size. the service was great. Check-in was quick. Food was a mix of jamaican / italian, we made a request for akee and salt fish and the cook was happy to accodomate us. The hotel is right in the middle of the beach, We walked the beach and beleive that we had the nicest sandy beach area.. there is a nice store in the lobby.
The dining area, bar and pool are kept clean and tidy, Maxine cleaned our room perfect every day. Security was there during the night. The hotel is safe. The staff is friendly and nice. We are already planning to come back.

Thanks Dominique!

1 Thank Nicole C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I visited this hotel last year (Feb 2012 - circa Valentine's Day Week), with a couple of my girlfriends. It was such a disappointment to drive passed so many lovely hotels and to end up there. I had my own room which was dirty upon arrival and when I complained about it, nothing was done to rectify the situation. Instead, I was mistreated for the remainder of my stay (1 week).

Our flight was delayed (no fault of the hotel), and we missed breakfast. In spite of having an "all-inclusive" reservation, breakfast was not served to us, nor any snacks even though we were tired and STARVING!

On my second day, I was able to witness a couple (who were vacationing for Valentine's Day) complain to the management and demand their money back from Sunwing before leaving the hotel to finish the remainder of their stay somewhere else. If my friends weren't on such a tight budget, I would have also left and stayed somewhere (ANYWHERE) else. This hotel is a 2 star at best.

Every meal was served in a first-come, first-serve, buffet-style. If you were not waiting in the lineup as soon as your meal was ready to be served, you missed out. It pissed me off because I paid for the all-inclusive package and ended up having to eat elsewhere almost all of the time.
The bar service was WRECTHED! Aside from the bar being under-stocked with the most obvious selections of drinks (ie. Red Stripe, which is manufactured on the island so I have no idea how that is possible), the bartender constantly ignored me and was hardly ever available to take your drink order. Again, this pissed me off because this was included in my "all-inclusive" package.

The locals who roamed the beach ranged from entertaining to annoying and they had full access to the beach so be prepared for that.

At night there was a security guard which was a positive thing, but there was nothing to do after the sun went down. The pulse of the hotel just stopped. So you had to leave the resort and find fun elsewhere.

One of the most offensive experiences I had at this venue was at lunch time one day when I decided to wait in the lineup after a nice swim in the ocean. I was in a bikini (a sporty one, not a g string or anything like that), and the server approached me and said very loudly so that everyone could hear her: "You need to cover up before you eat". If I was in my native country, I would told her to F* right off (it is a beachfront hotel and all), but I obliged and listened to her. The approach was all wrong. The staff was overall rude and seemed jealous and unwilling to please you. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back here.

As per the last post, please listen to the negative reviews as they are all consistent and very much true. This hotel is not for anyone who desires any sort of luxury. If I ever go back to Jamaica (this trip may have ruined it for me), I'll stay in Montego Bay (which is inexplicably cheaper than staying in Negril with much more to do), and just cab it to wherever I need to go. Canadian and American money go a long way here. I was able to take a 40 minute cab ride from Negril to Ochos Rios for $10CAD.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $100-$200 and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sarpony

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

newyork
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Beachcomberclub is the best small hotel to stay in negril .rooms are safe, people should not lied that they been rob when they dont rob just to get insurance ,each rooms had a dead bolt lock,bolts and chains. to keep safe 24 hour security, All is good at Beachcomberclub dont listen to the people with the negative view.

Room Tip: all room are nice with kingsize bed
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank sona l
Union, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Beachcomber has a great beach location, but rooms need refreshing badly. The bathrooms need gutting toilet leaked all over floor no outlet available for blowdryer in bathroom either, only a trickle of water available from the shower as well. The rooms look as though the bedding and curtains are original probably atleast 30 years or more old. The bed linen is yellow and towels also yellow and holey. Security was mostly nonexistent with absent gatekeeper most of the time at the front of the building. We heard someone rattling our door and found large footprints outside in the morning, the adjoining room had flipflops stolen from outside, don't keep any valuables in your room. The food is good but not much variety from day to day. I have stayed in Jamaica in the past and would recommend spending a little more and stay somewhere else......

Room Tip: go somewhere else....
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends