“First Night was Hell”

Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Arizona
“First Night was Hell”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Ok so I read all the reviews on this resort before we left and for the most part they are accurate. It is small and outdated but it has potential as the 2 bedroom is very large. This is the best I can say as the management stinks, all they really care about is the money they can take in. (not the customer)
We stayed here October 25, 2013 throughout November 2, 2013. We own a timeshare in Florida and traded to go to Jamaica and this was the resort we were given. Our room was a two bedroom on the second floor. Night one, while we slept someone broke into our room and stole 2 iPhones and cash. My wife has a Louis Vuitton bag the culprit(s) took the bag but dumped it after ransacking it. I found it at the bottom of the stairs leading to our room. When I say broke in I actually mean someone had a key and let themselves in. We had the door dead bolted. When we talked to the management about it they told us no one there would have done it. But unless they give out keys to anyone, this was an inside job. They did not offer to take care of our loss or even offer the all-inclusive they had. They should have bared responsibility for our items. What if someone had woke up during this, maybe we would have been killed. I would never recommend this place to anyone. You should not have to barricade yourself in your room at night and stay up guarding your personal items while you are on vacation. Which is exactly wharf we did for the week we were there. Also they only have small bank lock boxes in the front office that they charge you to use to store personnel items. We rented one but it just held passports and extra cash.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank jtnl01
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
To: Whom it may concern

I thought we had answered this complaint before but there are a few points more which need to make.
These guests were transferred to us from another hotel which is under repair. There were assigned to a two bedroom beachfront apartment. From the moment they walked into the lobby one of the ladies shouted out, “We are going to give you hell because this is not what we booked” and so it turned out.
After checking in, the Front desk was called and told that the lock on one of the room doors was not working properly. We promised to replace it the following morning as it was already late. Next morning very they reported that the apartment was broken into. We immediately called the police and I as the manager visited the room and spoke with the clients. I must point out that the entrance door has a lock, a dead bolt and a security chain. There was no sign of forced entry and when questioned by the police the clients said they had secured the lock and the deadbolt but not the security chain. Now over the years I have travelled very often to Miami and even in the best hotels they warn you to secure the locks properly when you are in the rooms, in fact some years ago I visited Las Vegas and was warned to secure the door as someone had a key for every hotel door in Vegas.
I had a long and fairly cordial conversation with one of the gentlemen in the party and offered to change the locks and let him keep all the keys for the rest of his stay. He agreed. He also told me that he was in the lock business in America. Their representative was called. She offered to transfer them to another hotel and was shown 3 other properties but elected to stay at Beachcomber. We had no further complaints.
As promised we changed the locks and the gentleman helped by changing one faster than one of our own workman to show his skill. The police are always reluctant to give a report when there is no sign of forced entry. While we regret very much, this incident like the police we are left asking why the clients not used the security chain which would have to be broken to gain entry, especially in view of the fact that the lock on one room door had been reported effective.
We are very concerned about the security of our guests. We have many returned clients who come for long stays. They stay on the ground floor, upper floor. One group in particular from Canada have been coming here for nearly 20 years and never had a single problem. Some go jogging alone or in groups in darkness at 5:30 am. No Problem.
We are totally taken aback by this experience.
-Mr. Patrick Mcgann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We just arrived home this weekend after spending 2 weeks at Beachcomber Club in Negril. This is a small resort - 40 or 45 rooms and it's set up so you can have a room, 1 room with suite or 2 bedrooms with a suite. We stayed in a single room- no suite. The rooms were large and very clean- bathroom was enormous.
The staff at this resort are so warm and welcoming, and it seemed as though for the entire time they bent over backwards and couldn't do enough for us. Everyone from grounds crew, security, wait staff, cleaning staff- all were fantastic. Fresh beach towels were available everyday.
This is the perfect type of place to get away, especially of you don't like large crowds. We're far more comfortable in a smaller venue and we're not 5 star people so we don't want 5 star treatment.

The food...omg it was good. We had a limited buffet available, however when there's only 20 or 25 people eating I wouldn't expect a huge selection. What was on the buffet however was extremely fresh, and really tasty for sure. There was always 1 type of fish, as well as another meat- usually chicken, sometimes pork, but it was real Jamaican food which was what we were hoping for.

Sheryl who is head of security was great about keeping the vendors away if you didn't want to be bugged by them, but when there was someone you wanted to talk with she would hang back and make sure there were no issues. We felt very safe and secure while we were there for sure.

This was my ultimate vacation- right on the beach- amazing sun, great food and great people who could ask for more?

We did a day trip away from the resort and went into Negril for a late lunch one day at the Push Cart on the cliffs and it was fantastic, and we went snorkeling one day on a reef not very far from the hotel- Captain Kirk looked after us quite nicely on that excursion. For those into more adventurous things, there's parasailing available, jet skiing, and just about anything else you could imagine available as well.

I would definitely stay again provided the pricing was right as it was just the r & r we were looking for. I highly recommend that you consider this resort when you're making your decisions- definitely worth it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jennifer m
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is to summarize a trip that my girlfriend and I along with 2 of our friends experienced on our one week stay at The BEACHCOMBER almost all inclusive resort. This is my 3rd time to Jamaica and my girlfriends 6th time, and it was the first time for our Friends and its a guarantee it will not be the last.

Upon arrival it was the simplest check-in by the simplest girls. They greeted you with smiles but they only helped you so much. Once they checked you in, they told you what time breakfast, lunch and dinner were served at, even though the times were written behind them, gave you 1 room key and towels only if you asked and anything more they referred you to manager. There is no safe in the rooms, but the front desk offered us 3$ a night which we did not use and still felt safe. The rooms - Everything in our room was very out dated but who cares!! I wasn't there to stay in my room anyway!! The rooms were nice and big and the patios were huge outside. The AC was quiet and worked great and the bed was comfy and clean and that's all that mattered. During the week that we stayed, they were renovating some rooms, not enough for us not to enjoy our stay but just enough for us to notice. One of the workers let us in to take a sneak peak, the only thing I noticed was a flat screen tv and a new toilet and some freshly painted wall . House keeping crew were always down to say hello with there big happy smiles. we never had to leave our key at the front desk for them to clean them and our rooms were always in tip top clean shape. We were so happy with the cleanliness of our rooms that I did tip them well just to show my appreciation. FACILITIES: - The property was always well maintained by Christopher who was always ready to great with a big hello ya mon !!!, the grounds were kept so clean I was actually very impressed with the way the placed looked. There is one main walkway that goes through the whole grounds of the hotel that leads you right onto one of the worlds best beaches. The bar and restaurant are right on the beach so you always have an incredible view of the beach almost no matter where you are. This place has a pool that's was cleaned everyday and it looked cleaned as well, even though I never used it ounce it was in a nice location and added a little extra to the place. There was security boss lady Sheryl made sure no one ever bothered us and was always around for any questions we might of had. Bar- The bar was almost right on the beach opened up at 10am and usually closed around 10 or 11 pm every day. The staff at the bar were wonderful, Jefferey and Shanika were more than amazing and never let you waiting more that 1 minutes to get your order. I like to drink beer too and was happy to be treated to both bottles of red stripe and red strip on tap. The mixed drinks were endless and always so delicious and as strong as you wanted. The one thing that I can complain about is that not every single mixed drink was free which it should of. such as the BOB MARLEY drink! There was drink service to the beach were the staff brought them too you while you lied in the sun. Restaurant- Where do I begin, the food was AMAZING every single day. There was absolutely nothing to complain about ever, the food was made to feed everyone that was there and made from scratch every night. We were all very excited every day to see what was being served. There were three buffet meals a day, which served up very local dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but after lunch that had a snack menu which was made from scratch as well and just delicious. There was fresh fish, pasta, fresh amazing salads, jerk chicken, vegetables, amazing soups, tea and coffee available all the time. The food was just superb and it was very nice to see that none was being wasted ever. One night that we were there they had fresh lobster cooked for us with a very good lobster bisque soup, OMG just amazing I just could not get enough of that Caribbean lobster. If you plan on eat out a few nights it would be smart to advised the staff so that they do not waste food cooking for you when you will not be there, don't forget this is not a huge 5 star trap that waste food all day long. The day we left the staff prepared us a special breakfast just for us of fresh salt-fish and Aki with dumplings which was just a beautiful last breakfast in Negril.. what a treat mmmmmmm!!!! We did a bit of fishing while we were there and the kitchen staff actually cooked our catch one night just for us. Location: This is our second time to the 7 mile in Negril and once again we were amazed. We were thinking about staying in a bigger resort like the Riu Negril but then thought to our self Bloody Bay or 7 Mile and the choice was simple....7 mile all the way, The reason is that we love to get out and about and enjoy to local love and vibes that Jamaica has. The Beachcomber is right in the middle of it all, go right or left you are bound to find something cool and interesting. The beach has plenty of local bars and restaurants and shops that offer a lot of local fun so you can get into that island vibe. Many will tell you it is not safe and many will say your crazy but to be honest I've been more scared walking Downtown Montreal at 4 am on a Saturday night. To sum up this place was amazing, yes outdated rooms but the upgrades are slowly on the way. This place does has amazing potential and I truly felt that they are starting to realize it which is why there was a bit of activity going on. The Hotel was clean and the food was amazing, the people were great and the location was just out of this world. If you are not the difficult type looking to be served and catered too 24/7 this might not be the place for you. If you are the type looking to gain a real local experience and island vibes that you will remember forever this place should be on your nNegril visit list. Go out meet the people, visit local bars and restaurants buy a couple of things, don't be afraid of whats real in Jamaica, this country is amazing and the locals make it even more spacial. Let me know if you have questions I will be more than happy to help you with any questions. I hope this review helps !

Room Tip: Every room is good, you will always be close to everything
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank MK-likes-to-Travel
Newton, Iowa
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Would not recommend this resort to Anyone.... I have Never written a bad review before, BUT I feel obligated to. Our first night in Jamaica we had someone "break" into our hotel room.. Even though we were on the second floor and had the door knob locked, and the dead bolt. So It was obvious that it had to be someone with a key... My brother and his wife had their cell I Phones Stolen and Cash. They took her Louie Vuitton bag but threw it out at the bottom of our stairs. (So she got it back) The worst part was we were all in bed sleeping. The owners let us replace the locks but did not offer to reimburse us or even give us their all inclusive for the week. I feel they could have at least offered. It's too bad, because this hotel has so much potential with a little updating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 131JoAnne
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
These clients are time shareholders from another resort, and had to relocate to Beachcomber Club as the other hotel is under renovations. Upon arrival clients expressed their dislike of the hotel and it's staff. Two of our staff, Jeffrey and Carey escorted them to their room and then they preceded to slamming the room door in our staff's faces. Before this they toldJeffrey that they would make things hell for everyone. About two hours later approximately 5:00pm, the front desk was notified that they had broken their key, and we gave them a replacement key which was the only other front office key. The managers are the only other persons that hold the room keys, from which none are missing. If a key were to go missing, we would change the lock immediately. The next Sunday morning, we received a complaint that the clients were robbed, and changed their locks that same morning to please them, not because we were missing any keys. We called the police and after investigation, they drew a police report stating there was no evidence, and no proof of a break in. Our question to reflect on would be :If the clients felt so threatened and uncomfortable, then to protect themselves, why not leave to somewhere safer?They claimed in fact to not use their door bolt, which would prevent anyone from entering even with a key, and prove if there was a forced entry. We insist that our clients take initiative to utilize all their locks on the room door to avoid these situations We care a great deal about our clients and their safety, and would do anything to make sure, their stay is satisfactory. This is a family business and we take these reviews very seriously, and hope to keep on improving our services.

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

As long as you don't expect much & are willing to go with the flow, you will enjoy this hotel. We arrived at 5am & were met by a security guard who showed us to our room. The rooms are clean & spacious. When my husband got up to use the washroom, he had to find his leatherman so he could fix the toilet, so it would flush. He needed his leatherman again to fix the sink, so he could wash his hands. We then went for lunch at the buffet. Warning, there are about 5 choices at the buffet, at every meal. Having said that, the food is very good & you never really have the chance to gorge yourself. The pool was unusable & very small. What makes this place is the beach, & the staff & the other vacationers staying at this hotel. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jmweb2013
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 4 October 2013

we are an Italian couple found by chance in this hotel, apartments, equipped with exceptional rooms have a kitchen and living room ... like small apartments! this hotel is beautiful is located in negril ... on the piece of beach most beautiful and peaceful of this place ... the staff is perfect, there are very kind and professional! bar is cute and well equipped! strong point of this place and the manager ... a young beautiful lady with blue eyes and intriguing that over-to be kind and sympathetic helped us to deal with the holiday letting as a guide for the post and letting us make the experience unforgettable ... thank you to all the beachcomber! strolling on the entire coast of the place ... this is absolutely the best place to spend your vacation in Jamaica ... by simone and nura

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simone o
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

If you're looking for five-star, you'll be disappointed. But, if you're looking for a relaxing stay with beautiful views and wonderful people, this is your place!

My hubby and I went for our "belated honeymoon". His parents stay here often/for long stretches so we knew all about it before we arrived, and the staff were so warm and welcoming, it was like coming to see family members you haven't seen in a while -- we got so many hugs!

The resort is small, which I liked, I don't really enjoy larger resorts. Smaller = more personal, and I love that! The grounds were beautifully maintained, it was gorgeous!

As for the rooms, I'm not one to spend much time in my bedroom on vacation anyway, just give me a comfy bed to sleep in and a shower that works and I'm good to go. The bedrooms were clean and were a good size, I liked the little patios off the rooms, super cute. The bed was large and super comfy. The bathrooms were clean, though dated. We had a leaky sink, but didn't let it bother us!. Only complaint is that we wished the rooms were a little more sound-proof, we had some very noisy neighbours! But they were only there the first one or two nights we were and then they left, so it was quiet every night after that. Overall, we were pleased with our room.

The Beachcomber is on the most beautiful stretch of beach I've ever seen, and the water was incredible to look at, to swim in, to walk in ... it was just gorgeous! Conveniently located, not far from restaurants and bars. We went out for Valentine's Day lunch AND supper at a restaurant I believe was called Sherata's. They had live music and an incredible ambiance, and the food was very good.

Margaritaville is right next door to the Beachcomber to your right, and to your left you can always find jet-ski rentals, parasailing, glass bottom boats, etc. I even got a massage on the beach one afternoon! There's hardly anyone trying to sell you anything on the beach, and anyone who is isn't obnoxious about it. If you stay here, do try Layton's coconut pies when he goes by - to die for!! There were also two guys out every afternoon playing live music, making their way from one resort down to the next. These guys are incredible and I loved listening to them!

But, the best part about the Beachcomber is the staff - they make this an incredible place to stay! Sexy Sue and Letricia made the bar a great place to hang out (and they made some DELICIOUS drinks) - those girls rock! Playing dominoes with Mr. Irving every night was the highlight of my stay (I adopted a new grandfather!).

My hubby and I are already planning our second trip back to the Beachcomber this January or February with his parents, and we can't wait to go back to visit our Jamaican family!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple