“Great beach....OK resort.!”
Review of Beachcomber Club

Beachcomber Club
Ranked #49 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 9 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Beachcomber with my parents after spending 4 days in Montego Bay for my sister's wedding. We've always loved Negril because it absolutely has the best beach in Jamaica. We, in the past, have stayed at Sandals, Riu Tropical Bay, Beaches and Beaches Sandy Bay, formerly Poinciana Beach Resort. Beachcomber, a much smaller, privately owned boutique hotel, is OK but needs some updates to the rooms. We stayed in a 2 bedroom beachfront apt on the 2nd floor. It's spacious and relatively clean, but the roof of the beachfront bar and restaurant partially obstructs the view of the beach from the apartment. The small staff was nice and accomodating. The grounds could use a little TLC and there is very little nightlife on site. You'll have to leave the resort for entertainment. We never ate at the restaurant. We prefered to go to the local restaurants down the street, and there are many to chose from. The beach, however, is superb. I am Jamaican born and have been going to Negril since I was a child. Trust me when I tell you Ocho Rios and Montego Bay have nothing on the 7 mile beach that Negril has to offer. In conclusion, if you'd like to stay at a nice small quiet "no frills" resort with a great beach, then this resort may be for you.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Bibsygirl
There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Club

Reviewed 26 December 2006

I stopped counting my trips to Jamaica at 12 and have stayed mainly on the north coast from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios in all inclusives. I was curious to stay in Negril not having been there before and really wanted to try a non all inclusive property. I booked a standard room . The front desk staff greeted me by name when I arrived and escorted me to my room. We knew there were 1 and 2 BR apts. on this property having visited the web site to book. Our room was very clean with fresh flowers on the dresser and bed. The AC and TV were on and there were plenty of towels and amenities. My husband decided he wanted a larger room, the one bedroom and they courteously showed us the unit adjacent. We accepted and they quickly prepared the room and although it was immaculate they insisted the housekeeper go through and clean again. The grounds were well kept and the noise at night was minimal. Our patio on the ground floor was huge with a table and 4 chairs. The restaurant staff was kind enough to serve our breakfast on our patio and was helpful and attentive. O'Neill makes fantastic omelettes and jerk pizza and the coffee was excellent. Our unit was 1B next to the pool and restaurant. Maxine the housekeeper was quick, quiet and thorough and always made sure we had enough towels. Beah towels were provided and they were in excellent shape. The water sports rep was attentive and positioned our chairs each morning in our favorite spot. Floats are also provided for the water and he kept vendors away when we wanted to nap or just be left alone. The beach was clean in front of Breachcomber and Merlene the fruit lady is on the corner between Beachcomber and Moon Dance Villas. She kept us in fresh fruits during our entire stay, cutting them into a bag for convenient eating on the beach. We liked the Seven mile Beach location as it was great for walking and offered mulitple choices for meals outside the hotel and live band entertainment. We ate at Firefly Pancake house, Family Tree and Tree House and they were all excellent and very fairly priced. Sweet Spice off the main drag was great Jamaican homestyle food with the best Oxtail I have had in Jamaica.
My favorite feature of Beachcomber was the apartments which were spacious with a washer dryer and full size fridge. We viewed several units during our stay and some were better kept then others. The gingerbread style buildings were charming and the grounds were serene and pretty. Almost all units have views of the water. The pics on the hotel website look just lik the ones I took so I won't bother to post pics.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Deadheadexec
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We spent our honeymoon here and the Beachcomber club was great. it had everything we wanted; super-friendly staff, big clean rooms, entertainment, good food. And it was loads cheaper than all the other places we looked at. As long as you don't expect the Ritz you will love this place. The beach out front is gourgeous! If i go back to jamaica we will definintely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank dchadhunter
Reviewed 31 July 2006

Had a wonderful trip and loved the Beachcomber. Been to Jamaica several previous times but this was my first stay at the Beachcomber. Met several friends here. Excellent location on the beach. Next to Margaritaville so had fun there and chilled at Beachcomber after hours.

The food was great and the staff went out of their way to make guests feel comfortable. I didn't watch any t.v. while here so I don't know about the remote controls. No problems with the room, used the safe at front desk so no security issues. I have stayed at some of the all-inclusives on previous trips, they may be nicer, but for the price this place is sweet. If your looking for pampering and an Amercanized version of Jamaica go to an all-inclsusive and spend much much more. If you want a clean hotel on a great stretch of the beach for a great price check this place out. I'll be back this fall!

• Stayed: February 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank gratefuldiver
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We stayed at the Beachcomber for 5 nights. I realized we were taking a chance since all previous reviews were either glowing or very negative. The price was right, so we gave it a try. The room was actually very clean, which is the most important issue for us. The hotel is very run down with layers and layers of paint and plaster. The bathroom cabinets were missing a door and a couple of knobs. Not a big deal, but this hotel is advertised as a high end luxury resort. The service was sub-standard - twice, they didn't leave any bath towels after cleaning the room. We we called the front desk to request towels and had to wait 1-2 hours for them to bring the towels. They often didn't have beach towels available, no matter what the time of day. When we were lucky enough to get beach towels, they were old, worn, and dingy. The pads for the lounge chairs are old and torn with crumbling foam breaking off. On our third night, we wanted to watch some t.v. before bed and discovered that there wasn't a cable line connected to the t.v. We called the front desk the following morning to request that they provide a cable. By late afternoon, they hadn't addressed the issue, so we called again. Still no response, so we called again in the evening, and someone finally came. We found the employees to be rather indifferent. We always tipped the bartender, but never got so much as a nod or a thank you or a smile. After a couple days of that, we decided to get our drinks at Margaritaville (next door) where they were much more friendly. We observed one employee sneaking beers while he was supposed to be raking and burying the seaweed on the beach. The grounds were a mess. There was trash eveywhere, and it definitely wasn't picked up on a daily basis. I saw a pile of empty beer bottles in a plant bed for 3 days. The Beachcomber could be a nice place if they would put some money back into it and give their employees some training. The beach was beautiful. Up until our last day in Negril, I thought that I wouldn't mind coming back some day (at a different hotel). However, one of the hustlers on the beach was furious at my husband for not buying something from him. It left a bad impression because we bought a lot of stuff from the hustlers that we didn't really want, as well as gave them cigarettes whenever they asked. We even gave cash to a couple of guys who seemed genuinely nice. One of them even brought us a bag of mangos on our last day. But unfortunately, my last memory is of the angry hustler yelling that "all you Americans are alike". Too bad.

Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank lisa_mchenry
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I just love this place and keep coming back because the hotel is great, and the people are just so cool who work here, and I always meet interesting guests from all over the world.

The rooms are HUGE and the hotel is right in the middle of everything that is cool about the beach; restaurants, water sports, local shopping and nightlife. By the way ask for the local lunch at the hotel’s restaurant; it’s the best local food for cheap. Also there seems to always be something going on at the hotel like a fri. night mixer with free run punch, a birthday party for a guest with free buffet for all guests, a band, stuff like that.

After only a couple of trips back, the staff knows my name and is now always J mon cool? and hey J and welcome back J, even staff I didn’t get to know the first few times I now consider good friends. And my 4 yr old daughter always meets other kids. Margaritaville next door has a playground, basketball ct, water trampoline, and climbing wall, all for the price of buying 1 coke or a red stripe. By the way, Little Feat played and Jimmy Buffet was spotted there (Margaritaville) when I was staying at the Beachcomber.

And look, if you want everything to be fast and perfect, just don’t come to Jamaica altogether, because this country to just not like that and that’s what makes it special. Food is cooked when you order it and that takes time. Also, they just don’t have a flippen wal-mart (THAT’S A GOOD THING) on every corner, so supplies are a bit low and expensive all over Jamaica and the carib in general. If your remote stops working or something petty, just get over it, go down to the beach and have a red stripe. You in Jamaica now mon.

As for me and my family, the Beachcomber has pretty much everything we like close. And for the fair price I will keep coming back.

Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank RastaJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed 29 March 2006

1st, let me say that after our deposit was up (three nights) we moved to another resort. It was that bad here. Bad front desk service, handwritten invoices, poor exchange rate and the rooms were nothing to look at. We had to demand the room we paid for...they tried twice to stick us other rooms. There are no individual safes in the rooms [$3 US/day to use their safe...] and the tv didn't work. The doors only have one lock ont them. There is very little shade on the beach and you have to get up early to snag some chairs under the shade. The whole place just looks banged up. The music blares all day from next-door Margaritaville and doesn't end till late. It was not a peaceful spot. I will say that the restaurant is ok - seafood linguini was really good. Like I mentioned earlier, we moved down the beach to the Charela Inn and had an amazing experience. We got a nicely appointed, elegant but simple room with an ocean view for the same price as Beachcomber. The beach was nicer, the swim area bigger, the beach chairs cleaner, the restaurant better and the suurounding resorts were also better. Also didn't get hassled as much.

• Stayed: March 2006