“Great Location! Not so great food and service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Beachcomber Club

Beachcomber Club
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Moncton, Canada
“Great Location! Not so great food and service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

The best attribute about the Beachcomber Club is it's perfect location on 7 Mile Beach. It's right next to Margaritaville and close to the vendors shops, and of course copious amounts of hustlers selling everything from papaya juice to weed. The beach is amazing, and so that alone made our stay here worth while. We love to walk and did so an average of 10 miles a day, and couldn't think of a better place to do it!
The rooms were extremely clean, spacious, very comfortable, and were always cleaned daily. We were in room #15 which was close to the bar and the beachfront. It's an extremely quiet Resort, which suited us perfectly in that regard. We spent very little time there anyway, and enjoyed what we went for...the beach and the great ganja mon!
We would consider it more of a Motel though than a Resort.
It just recently started an all-inclusive option, which we chose. It's quiet obvious that the all inclusive details of the Beachcomber needs to be addressed.
The food selection was poor and never on time. Breakfast advertised to begin at 7 O'clock often didn't start until after 8. Dinner and supper were also never on time. Some days there was dessert, most days not. And we don't consider muffins to be dessert! This is the only trip where we actually lost weight!
The booze selection was limited to very few choices which were outlined on a sheet of paper at the one and only bar. Entertainment was non-existence, as was any attempt by the staff to be cordial.

Although there was no safe in our room, never once did we worry about our valuables.

With all this being said, we would return to the Beachcomber if the price was right, but not vie for the all-inclusive option. At present, it simply isn't worth it.

The purpose of our vacation was to simply relax together, enjoy 7 Mile Beach, and do it as inexpensively as possible. Even though, in our opinion, it was over-priced for what we received, it was by far the lowest priced place to stay on 7 Mile Beach.

If you're looking for a clean quiet and safe place to crash on the beautiful and world famous (and rightfully so) 7 Mile Beach, this is the place for you.
If you're looking for good and plentiful food or a wide variety of drinks, or and kind of entertainment, you'll have to look elsewhere than the Beachcomber.

On the up-side, because of it's central location on the beach, local ganja salespeople were plentiful and everywhere! If you can't find ganja on this beach you are either wearing a Nun's habit, are under 10 years of age, or are wearing a pocket-protector and and thick duct taped glasses!!

Just a foot-note from my wife.
* If you are in any way disgusted by the sight of speedo wearing dudes with more package than material, you best not open your eyes...or like we did, smoke so much ganja that it doesn't matter. However, if this is your thing, you would consider this place to paradise.
She has actually started a petition to make it illegal for anyone over the age of 14 to wear these altered bikini bottoms. No matter how well built they may be, it looks oh soooo girlie girl and makes them look like they're trying way too hard for attention.

The bottom line is that we didn't allow the Resorts short-comings to effect our vacation, and we ended up having the best holiday we ever had! 'We' chose to make the best of it, and quite honestly, even if we had stayed in an old sleeping bag under a tree, we were still together on 7 mile beach in Jamaica in the middle of winter with not a snow-flake in sight.... We went for the beach and to be together, and thats exactly what we got!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anvil_Debbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

My family and I have just returned from a one week stay at the Beachcomber, the following review will be my honest and fair opinion of the Beachcomber and the experiences we had during our stay.

On a previous trip to Jamaica I had stayed in Montego Bay but I managed to take a day trip to Negril just to check out the legendary beach. Once my wife and I arrived in Negril we were so overcome with the unbelievable beach that we ditched our all inclusive for the week and rented a condo on the beach in Negril….yes the beach is that spectacular! It was at this time my wife and I agreed that in the future we would return.

LOCATION
Having been to Negril before we knew that the stretch of 7 mile beach that we wanted to be on was the most western side (towards Rick’s Café). The Eastern side of the beach is occupied by the Mega Resorts like Riu, Hedonism, Couples etc. Believe me when I tell you that all of these resorts would have preferred to have been on the west end of the beach had it been available to build on. Having walked the beach on many occasions I can assure you that the Beachcomber has what I would suggest is The BEST single location on the beach.

GROUNDS
Very clean, well manicured (somewhat short on flowers and colorful foliage but charming throughout. A lack of garbage cans was apparent however the bar always had one and so did the beach and rooms.

RECEPTION
We arrived on a delayed flight so my family rolled in at about 1:30 am so we were greeted by the security guard who had been instructed to get us settled in a room and we would do a formal check-in the following morning. The room we were put in was called 7 Suite which is a large suite with a living area and a kitchen. A bit dated for sure but HUGE and ideal for our situation. The following morning I went to reception to check in and I was told by one of the women at the front desk that we were free to stay in the suite for the duration of our stay. My mother was also in our group and she had a single room close by that she liked quite a bit. After returning to our suite I informed my wife that we were all set to settle into the suite so she went ahead and unpacked all of our stuff and all of our 5 year olds stuff. No sooner had she filled the last drawer we were told that we had to vacate the room due to it already having been reserved. After I calmed myself down, refrained from using any profanity and lowered my voice I was told that no amount of money would keep me in that room. The good news that I was yet to learn was that we were slated to be in room 1A which is literally the room closet to the beach; we loved the room and will request it in the future.

ROOMS
The place was built in the 80’s and the rooms are reminiscent of the time however, I would much rather pay for beach and location than pay for excessive opulence and all of the other stuff that one can find at the Monster Resorts. Perhaps that this is a good time to mention that I personally don’t care for the big resorts simply because I like a smaller more intimate place and service, I hate being herded like cattle and I'll leave that to the big resorts, I find that there is more opportunity to get to know your neighbors and the staff as well. What you can expect with the rooms is this, clean rooms, pink 80’s style bathrooms (bidet included) the occasional cigarette burn on the bathroom counter and you may not have a drain for your bathtub. I never had and water pressure issues whatsoever. The maid cleaned the room just as well after tipping her 15 dollars and she did on a day where I left no tip on the bed. No Safety deposit box in the room, the safety deposit boxes are built into the counter at reception which is almost always deserted or has one woman sitting behind a 5 foot tall counter with her on a one foot stool, be prepared to talk to the top of her head and don’t really expect a reassuring answer when asking a question.

FOOD
This is a big one for me. Let me start by saying this…every single dish that I tasted was outstanding in flavor and freshness! Every One!! Some of the dishes that come to mind are Jerk chicken, curried chicken, linguini, Penne, Spaghetti, fresh fish, Burgers, fries, beef, tuna, bacon, eggs, cereal, lobster etc The problems I personally encountered with food was this, travelling with a 5 year old I need to know I can depend on eating at a predetermined schedule. For example if they state that breakfast is at 7:30 am that’s when you would expect to have it, on one occasion we didn’t get it until 8:30. This is also an issue with lunch and dinner. I really think that because this resort is owned by a local business man and not a big conglomorate, the whole “Jamaican Time” thing really holds true. No one who works there seemed to think that starting to serve lunch an hr later than stated is a problem or concern. Many times we left the beach to go for lunch only to find hamburgers for example at the buffet but the buns didn’t turn up for another half hr…just weird management issues or young staff who don’t really get it…I’m not sure but it makes you wanna shake someone. Bring a travel mug! Even then don’t expect to find a coffee until about 8 am. Selection is quite limited but it was always so good (especially dinner) that you kind of don’t care that there isn’t a billion extra fluff items at the buffet. One night a week is lobster night, mine was ok however the wife and gramma couldn’t cut theirs with a knife and fork, I tried to cut it myself because I didn’t believe them…my right arm is now in a sling and I have a funny twitch now. They both refused to try another tail. Simple cakes are served for dessert sometimes…..The biggest surprise to me is that the only time you could get fresh fruit was in the am. None at lunch none at dinner and I was expecting to be able to eat a lot of it at my whim.

TIPS and TRICKS
As I’m sure you’ve heard…whatever you need in Jamaica you can find in Jamaica…for a price.

• Need an Ultra Prime spot on the beach under a thatched umbrella? 40 bucks to the beach and grounds guy Paul did it for me…best spot every day for a week
• Great gift shop! 4 shirts for 20 bucks, I think that’s a great deal
• Feeling harassed by sales guys on the beach? If the vendors get too close to you Cheryl will be there to kick some butt before you even knew they were approaching you
• The 5 dollar bottles of “fresh orange juice” that they sell on the beach in rum bottles is actually Tang
• I did a glass bottom boat tour with my wife son and gramma and we had the entire boat to ourselves (by request) for 1.5 hrs and I paid 60 bucks but was then informed by the guy who put it together (Ryan) that I was expected to tip the 2 boat staff. If I was to do this again I would simply wave one of the boat drivers over and offer him 50 bucks. The sales guys on the beach are middle men and add little or no value in many cases.
• I paid 50 clams for a ½ hr jet ski with the boy and it was a fair deal because my little guy was giddy with joy but be sure to use Ryan for the jet ski’s he’s got the only jet ski that is large new and up to standard. Get the black and grey one and stay away from the red and white ones, there has obviously been some smash ups on the high seas.
• Swimming Pool was a bit colder than I’m accustomed but the ocean was warm, who cares about the pool when the beach that dreams are made of is 20 feet away!!
• • The girls at the bar are great, Latisha Sanika, Tanisha and Geoffrey. I don’t really think it’s their fault if they run out of bottled water but this only happened to us once.
• Learn the staff’s names because they will know yours. I think I was called by my first name on every encounter with an employee.
• The food that can be bought on the beach is awesome. Every day you can get the following: fresh banana bread, spectacular ice cream, Jamaican patties, Lobster (7 bucks!) smokes (if you want them), Cigars, drinks, cotton candy, sugar cane, fruit (makes up for lack of fruit at the buffet) lots of good stuff.

OVERALL

I will sum it up in this manner. I am already looking forward to returning next year. The family agrees that it’s the (almost) perfect location for our family to return. Beachcomber feels like your own private piece of paradise and you will never get that you a day feeling from the big run of the mill resorts found down the beach, this place really feels like you’re in on a bit of a secret. Sure you go a bit nuts when it takes a day to get an extra roll of butt wipe, sure the buffet is short on fresh fruit but the beach isn’t. I know that the bathroom looks like something from 1983 but I probably only spent a total of an hr in the john (except for that one night) but myself and my family all LOVED the Beachcomber and will be returning next year again. I have been told that the all inclusive piece to the resort has only been in place since October so I’m sure there is some growing pains to get through and eventually some crazy guest will have a meltdown and vaporlock over their lunch being 20 minutes late and demand to speak with the owner but until then you can expect to get what I have described above. Don’t be afraid of this place, it oozes charm, authenticity and good times. Get in on the secret.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Shred69
Reeds Spring, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

On a positve note the only nice thing I can say is the other guests are very nice. There were mostly Canadiens and a wonderful family from Boston. Half were repeat visitors, have extended stays and are quite loyal to the BC.

However the BC is the biggest slum I have ever slept in. View the pics I took to verify on your own. The entrance was loaded with trash and the front desk folks were unfriendly and did not know anything.

The BC beach area is small and they do not have enough chairs and pads for everyone. The equipment is rotten and worn out too.

I thought in my 40 years of travel that I stayed in some real dumps but the BC won first prize. My room, 9B was filthy with grime everywhere. See the pics and you will see first hand. The TV did not work and I told the fix it man...3 days later I had a replacement that did. The shower barely had a stream with a clogged head. Requests to fix went ignored.

The lady who "cleaned" my room only did half a job once in 5 days.

I did not participate in their all inclusive program. The bar closes at 10 pm so go to bed early and sober for once eh?

There is no "Gambino's Italian Restaurant" on property as advertised.

I do not see what the Northerners see in this joint but take it from me and the pictures, this is not the kind of place you want to spend even the smallest of amount of vacation money on.

Save up some more money and go some place else. You will be glad you did.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank STLCarib

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Muskoka District, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

Having never visited Jamaica before my husband and I were very excited about the new experiences open to us. Not being 5 star people ( just a number in an assembly line) we felt the Beachcomber would be the perfect fit. We were so right!!!

Our room was spacious and clean the bed was comfortable and the outdoor patio was a great place to have a Red Stripe and reflect on a perfect day.

Location on the beach is perfect and whatever you need in the course of a beautiful sunny day will arrive at your lounger or is just a short stroll away. Fresh juice, in the morning, baked good's, trinkets, the vendors are a big part of the Negril experience and they are all polite and if you take a minute to listen interesting people with great stories.

Okay now the thing that makes a great holiday, magical.... the people!!! Both my husband and I have been in the hospitality business for many years and never have we seen this level of personal service. Paul, he will look after all your needs with a heartwarming smile and he is a fountain of information. You can trust that if he is arranging something for you it will be the best time and the best price. He went out of his way many times for us and always was a willing and very helpful friend. When I come back in April I will be bringing him a CD of my favorite songs as he was so helpful in finding me the best Reggae!!!

Tanesha, Latesha and Jeffrey, Thanks so much for your friendly service, long chats and genuine warmth. A lot could be learned about customer service from the 3 of you!!! Tanesha I miss you already and can't wait to see you soon. You guys ROCK!!

My husband is a chef so we are always quite excited about the food in the various places we travel. Well Chef Juan you are amazing!!! Thank you and your team for the taste of Jamaica that will keep us coming back. I even had Ackee and salt fish for breakfast and it was great!!! The Red Snapper and pastas are delicious and I came home pining for Jamaican fruitcake!!

Ray, who taught me about Cricket, the lady who cleaned our room and hugged me, Irvine who pointed me in the right direction more then once, and the man in the gift shop who brought in some chips for me. THANK- YOU!!!!

I must also mention that a place this warm can't help but attract a clientele to match, we made so many new and special friends that week. Wayne, Dale, Elaine and Diane, thanks so much and next January well you know where we'll be for 2 full weeks!!!

So if you like to be a number, and eat tasteless food in a big factory setting do not come here. If you want to eat real food, make great friends and come home feeling like you can't describe your holiday, because it was so great, The Beachcomber is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelanieL44
Fenwick Island, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

What an awesome trip..thanks to the wonderfu staff at the beachcomber for making our stay great again. This is our second year staying there and we brought our friends with us who enjoyed there self as well. The only problem we had was the water pressure and from my understanding this is a problem in Negril not the hotel. Our housekeeper Maxine was just as wonderful as last year, and our Room as well as the kitchen and the Living room area was always clean.The service was prompt and the Spa on the beach was wonderful.The only thing that I would recommend to bring would be a blender so you can make a Yummy frozen drink. Beachcomber is located right in the middle of seven mile beach and directly next to margaritaville. There are panhandlers, but once they get to know you they don't bother you..The pool was clean , the food was great as well as the drinks.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

The Beachcomber was a great place to stay, friendly staff always there to help you out
The room was Big Nice and Clean The bed was comfortable very cozy,
The Location can not be beat set on a white sandy beach
The food was very good I put on 5 pounds ,
It was easy to get around To the west end of Negril or to walk down the beach
to other bars everyone was very friendly,
I well retrun to the beachcomber Negril again

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Lindsay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2011

We(my wife and I) stayed 11 days all inclusive at this Hotel starting Boxing Day. Lots has been said about the rooms, ours was clean and everything worked. If we had any issue it would be the water pressure but this is true of Negril and not unique to this property. The Beach is excellent and this hotel is located in the middle of the 7 km stretch. No trouble finding shade or getting a lounge chair (ours was waiting for us each day, thanks to Paul). There were peddlers but they were not a bother. The staff was very friendly and appreciative. This Hotel is small and during our stay, very quiet. There were only a few people all inclusive. We ordered breakfast and lunch from a menu and dinner was buffet. Dinner was a bit repetative (fish and chicken) but we like fish and chicken. It was served hot and cooked well. Overall the food was good. Bar service was quick, friendly and lots of options. When they say wine with meals they mean it "period" and do not serve it at other times. Very nice meal served New Years eve including Roast Beef and Lobster. If you are a very particular person there is lots to find fault with here but we enjoyed our stay and would return if it was priced well. Great staff, Lilly, Paul, Tanisha, Jeffrey, Latricia and Maxine deserve your tips.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple