(The travel occurred during the first week of July 2011 and this hotel was chosen based on reviews posted on TripAdvisor, and Expedia. Did I stay at the same hotel as people who posted 3 or more stars out of five? I don’t need anything fancy and a recent 5 night stay with round trip air fare non-stop (ATL to CUN) to Playa Del Carmen for a budget hotel on 5th Ave. in Playa Del Carmen was booked for $458.00. The Playa Del Carmen trip was a great experience and was chosen based on reviews posted on-line. I don’t even need a TV or any room amenities. However, what I won’t tolerate regardless of price is filthy rooms and poor service.
The room I was directed to was only moderately clean, basic, and definitely worn and in need of updating. None of the preceding is an issue for me except the clean component. On the day of arrival the A/C was hardly working and by the evening time the A/C stopped working entirely. I asked to be moved to another room, and I was moved to the immediately adjacent room. The A/C in that room was adequate. However, I found female hair between the sheets (as a single male, I wish I could say it was from a person with me but it wasn’t). I placed my beach towel on the bed and slept on top of it. There is a hotel (“resort” they call it) immediately next door that played hip-hop style music until 1AM. It wasn’t just loud, it was rattle the furniture and feel the base thumping load despite the door being closed and the A/C on obnoxiously loud. I slept 5 hours the first night (between 1AM and 6AM).
The next morning I went to the office relaying the conditions that I experienced. I know that they cannot control the music at the hotel next door. However, occupancy was extremely low at Legends during the time I was there and I asked to be moved to the garden section (across the road) or to their sister property Samsara). The front desk told me that they couldn’t make the decision and would need to check with the Manager. I told them that was fine, and that I would check with them upon my return to the hotel and after spending several hours at the sister property Samsara.
Upon my return to the hotel during the late afternoon, I was amazed to hear that the front desk “hasn’t had an opportunity to speak with the Manager”). After more persistence, I was shown to the next immediately adjacent room (yes, working my way down the hall). I was told that nothing was available in the garden section or away from the corner of the building that was immediately adjacent to music being played next door. The assigned room was also only moderately clean. Worse yet, I was met by one of the largest roaches that I’ve ever seen crawl underneath the bathroom cabinet. I again went to the front desk and told them that I wasn’t trying to be difficult, but that I needed these concerns addressed in order to have a comfortable night’s stay. I was amazed me with the genuine lack of concern displayed by the front desk. It was as if anything that involved an ounce of energy or decision making was asking too much. I slept with the lights on that night. The music next door played until 3AM since that property was hosting a party that evening. After 4 hours sleep that night (3AM to 7 AM; 10PM until 2:30AM was spent using up time at local establishments since there was no chance of sleeping in the hotel room), I checked out of the hotel and checked into the Grand Pineapple (a Couples-owned) resort up the road.
The Grand Pineapple was a good experience and I wished that I would have left Legends on the morning after the first night (by the way, they refused to refund the portion of the unused hotel stay both at the time of check out and later when trying to work through Expedia on the issue upon my return to the U.S.).
I could go on with a lot of other aspects of non-service at the hotel, the vendors on the beach (cheap Charlie is anything but a pleasant experience), the conditions of Negril in general, and interaction with the locals (but I’ll just refer you to other on-line unpleasant reviews).
I was not impressed with Jamaica. Mexico and the beaches of Florida have my next vacation dollars and I vacation at least three times per year. I’ve never run into the lack of service experienced in Jamaica. Even when staying at basic hotels in Mexico (Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta) I’ve always found the rooms to be basic but clean, and the people appreciate of the tourism money brought to their country.
I’m just glad that I didn’t choose Jamaica for an important date such as a wedding or anniversary. I would have been incredibly irritated by being left with such poor memories associated with such an important event.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Legends Beach Resort is a beachfront boutique hotel situated directly on the famous 7-mile white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. This friendly and intimate resort commands breathtaking views of the turquoise Caribbean Sea embraced by miles of powdery white sandy beach. Legends is located in a prime section of Negril within walking distance of shops, water sports, entertainment and local restaurants. The resort comprises two sections, one on the beach and one lushly gardened section across the street. Within the garden section is a large pool surrounded by a spacious sundeck. The beachside section also contains a small pool. Other hotel facilities include free Wi-Fi, gift shop, safety boxes at reception, massage treatments, and tour desk. The resort's beach frontage on Seven Mile Beach provides access to shallow, sandy-bottom water that remains calm in nearly all weather conditions. Free roundtrip shuttles transport guests to partner resort, Samsara Resort, on Negril's seaside cliffs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Legends Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Legends Hotel Negril
- Legends Jamaica
- Legends Beach Resort Jamaica
- Legends Negril
- Legend Beach Resort Negril