“When on Vacation You Shouldn't Think "I'd Rather Be Home At Work"”

Legends Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 25 July 2011

(The travel occurred during the first week of July 2011 and this hotel was chosen based on reviews posted on TripAdvisor, and Expedia. Did I stay at the same hotel as people who posted 3 or more stars out of five? I don’t need anything fancy and a recent 5 night stay with round trip air fare non-stop (ATL to CUN) to Playa Del Carmen for a budget hotel on 5th Ave. in Playa Del Carmen was booked for $458.00. The Playa Del Carmen trip was a great experience and was chosen based on reviews posted on-line. I don’t even need a TV or any room amenities. However, what I won’t tolerate regardless of price is filthy rooms and poor service.

The room I was directed to was only moderately clean, basic, and definitely worn and in need of updating. None of the preceding is an issue for me except the clean component. On the day of arrival the A/C was hardly working and by the evening time the A/C stopped working entirely. I asked to be moved to another room, and I was moved to the immediately adjacent room. The A/C in that room was adequate. However, I found female hair between the sheets (as a single male, I wish I could say it was from a person with me but it wasn’t). I placed my beach towel on the bed and slept on top of it. There is a hotel (“resort” they call it) immediately next door that played hip-hop style music until 1AM. It wasn’t just loud, it was rattle the furniture and feel the base thumping load despite the door being closed and the A/C on obnoxiously loud. I slept 5 hours the first night (between 1AM and 6AM).
The next morning I went to the office relaying the conditions that I experienced. I know that they cannot control the music at the hotel next door. However, occupancy was extremely low at Legends during the time I was there and I asked to be moved to the garden section (across the road) or to their sister property Samsara). The front desk told me that they couldn’t make the decision and would need to check with the Manager. I told them that was fine, and that I would check with them upon my return to the hotel and after spending several hours at the sister property Samsara.

Upon my return to the hotel during the late afternoon, I was amazed to hear that the front desk “hasn’t had an opportunity to speak with the Manager”). After more persistence, I was shown to the next immediately adjacent room (yes, working my way down the hall). I was told that nothing was available in the garden section or away from the corner of the building that was immediately adjacent to music being played next door. The assigned room was also only moderately clean. Worse yet, I was met by one of the largest roaches that I’ve ever seen crawl underneath the bathroom cabinet. I again went to the front desk and told them that I wasn’t trying to be difficult, but that I needed these concerns addressed in order to have a comfortable night’s stay. I was amazed me with the genuine lack of concern displayed by the front desk. It was as if anything that involved an ounce of energy or decision making was asking too much. I slept with the lights on that night. The music next door played until 3AM since that property was hosting a party that evening. After 4 hours sleep that night (3AM to 7 AM; 10PM until 2:30AM was spent using up time at local establishments since there was no chance of sleeping in the hotel room), I checked out of the hotel and checked into the Grand Pineapple (a Couples-owned) resort up the road.

The Grand Pineapple was a good experience and I wished that I would have left Legends on the morning after the first night (by the way, they refused to refund the portion of the unused hotel stay both at the time of check out and later when trying to work through Expedia on the issue upon my return to the U.S.).

I could go on with a lot of other aspects of non-service at the hotel, the vendors on the beach (cheap Charlie is anything but a pleasant experience), the conditions of Negril in general, and interaction with the locals (but I’ll just refer you to other on-line unpleasant reviews).

I was not impressed with Jamaica. Mexico and the beaches of Florida have my next vacation dollars and I vacation at least three times per year. I’ve never run into the lack of service experienced in Jamaica. Even when staying at basic hotels in Mexico (Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta) I’ve always found the rooms to be basic but clean, and the people appreciate of the tourism money brought to their country.
I’m just glad that I didn’t choose Jamaica for an important date such as a wedding or anniversary. I would have been incredibly irritated by being left with such poor memories associated with such an important event.

Room Tip: I wish that I would have taken pictures of the hotel and its rooms. Believe the pictures posted of...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank AdvidTraveler011

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Service was excellent!!!! Everyone was very friendly and the emlpoyees created an intimate admosphere, like you was at home.
My impression of the property was very very poor. It needs maintenance and a stylist. Restaurant/bar looked like it needs maintenance too. Although it was very neat, my firts impression was that it was not clean and that it looked chaotic because the furnuture looked very poor and decoratision were hideous. TIP: Hire a stylist.
Food was tasty! Room was average, but clean!!! Bed was terrible (it was very hard).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Roy001234
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We went on a guys trip to Jamaica for a friends 30th birthday. I had heard so many good things about Negril, and was super excited to get there and get the party started. Unfortunately, all these things that I heard were from people that had been there in the 80's and 90's. There is not many positives that I can post about the rooms we had at Legends. They were small, dirty, and our air conditioner (wall unit, by the way), did not work. We told the front desk this and asked if they could get someone to work on it. They sent a cleaning lady to change the filter. The breakfast was ok, but that was it as far as the food went. We ate the dinner buffet one night and the chicken had more bones than meat in it. They didn't provide any beach towels and only one bath towel, no hand towels.The only good thing about this resort was the beach security guard Michael, who kept the rastas on the beach from heckling us every 20 seconds. The security in the hotel did the same thing that I saw someone else on here comment about, and charged us 25$ or 20$ to bring a friend in who wasn't staying there. Outside the hotel, Negril wasn't much better. Don't get me wrong, we met plenty of really good Jamaican people, but you couldn't walk ten feet down the street without getting hit up to by drugs or just people straight up begging. My whole life I wanted to go to Jamaica, but I would advise anyone against it now. It is like a really hot chick who let herself go, if you catch her at the right angle you can still see the attraction, but for the most part, it is just a run down mess.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else besides Jamaica!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank pinto77
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We recently stayed at Legends Beach Resort in Negril, and it was a lovely week. The property is well-kept and the gardens are beautiful. Our room was spacious, although the pillows felt like rocks, and they made for sleepless nights. If you want a great beach location on the beautiful seven-mile beach and a swimming pool at a very reasonable cost, Legends is a good option. We stayed across the street on the garden side and the pool was nice, very clean, and well-maintained also. Maintenance calls were answered very promptly. Security is on-site, 24 hours a day. The buffet in the restaurant is good but there are many nearby restaurants that are less expensive and better quality. There is no shortage of great food in Negril.

Room Tip: For alternative restaurants, try Sweet Spot.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

It rained the first two days, so there was no hot water, but when the sun came out ... we had hot showers!!

The towel situation is not good, so bring your own.

I didn't think this was a "fun" place, the staff was not very friendly, nor was the music good.

The location is good, so I would stay at Ledgends again - just don't expect much and you'll be fine.

Bring Mosquito repellent

Room Tip: Bring Mosquito repellent
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Tan2020
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My husband wanted to visit Jamaica. I had been 3 times 10-15 years before when I was single. Each time was a different hotel, but all were decent. Montego Bay had several large resorts, but was not as attractive as Negril. NOW, it's WOW! Negril was beautiful, tranquil, and elite then. NOW, Negril is a dump with shanties everywhere and locals immediately waiting to take advantage of you. Food sources are limited and you need taxi service to go everywhere. Legends is part of the SHAM! Some say it's an inexpensive (no frills) vacation, but if you're not broke, drunk and partying all the time, it's TORTURE! Nothing worked simultaneously. Either you shower, or you get AC...TV, or clean towels. Ants were everywhere. Buffet sucks, decor sucks, prices for bad food and service sucks, and dealers loitering on the beach suck too! We walked up and down the beach and was harrassed evry ten steps. The newer hotels were nicest, but the ones that were there 10-15 years ago all look in need of maintenance. Shanties next to resorts are common. Mothers, fathers, and children all trying to sell you weed on the beach sucks! Legends offers Samsara, their sister resort, as an alternative, but it looks old and tired too. (Not to mention BORING) We were able to get a couple of good photos at both locations, but that's because you can't see the damage in the shots. If you can afford a little more, don't go to Legends. Right next door is a nicer place (Kuyaba) that's inexpensive with fanastic food and nicer beachside atmosphere. We ate there every day after we got tired of searching for food and haggling for taxis. Legends is making a killing off of old photos and people who can't afford better. Our own yard in Connecticut is better! If you're interested in Negril, go somewhere that has security on the beach. And DO believe the reviews. More than one negative one isn't an isolated incident!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same with some kind of damage.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CMGreene3
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Ok so me and my mrs. have been here before and every time we go we have an amazing time. You need to realize that this is a 2.5 mabey a 3.0 resort so for all of you o my towels, o my room isn't perfect, or even that the chairs are all taken up if you get there to late well stop your complaining. This place is great it has everything you want for a cheap stay. Food, beer, alocohol and ocean with crystal clear water and yes the staff is great and I mean great. The cook is as nice as they come the waiters will do there best and security for the beach is better then the 5 stars I've been to in Ja. so for all you pre madonnas get a grip and stop coming here for all you people who want a great place for a great price this is without question the place to go. The price is right the location is great and best of all you have options. by options i mean you always can ______Wa:ll down the beach for other food or entertainment. I highly recommend this place and for all you who don't like it great it just makes it better for the rest of us people who aren't pre madonnas. sorry but some of the reviews I'm like really. either way this place is great give it a chance and let Jamaica run through.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple