“We enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent”

Legends Beach Hotel
Ranked #35 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Calgary, Canada
“We enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Legends. The housekeeping staff was great and kudos to the cooks and the restaurant staff. I would recommend Legends for those who are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation. The beach vendors are quite polite as well and they know when no means no. The beach is great and again, the food is superb.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Robbie_Mc_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Wow. We took a gamble and stayed at the resort. Never rely on previous reviews exclusively. The place was fantastic, the staff and Manager (Paul) was very professional and hardworking. The food was good, we didn't use the all inclusive package. Food and Drinks are inexpensive in Negril. The rooms were clean, the beds were kinda of hard. There were no box springs on the bed, nevertheless we slept well. The designated beach area is small, but practical. The vendors are persistent, but a friendly "no-thanks wil eliminate the issue. There are sand fleas throughout Negril that will irritate the skin, if you dont spray mildly with deep woods OFF(No skin so soft-its not an insect repellent). We had a small issue with towels, luckily the staff corrected it. A short walk down the beach will exposure you to very good live Reggae Music at Alfreds. We will definitely go again.

Room Tip: Make sure you book the beach side rooms. If not you will have to cross a busy road.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mkharr4
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Fist of all a deposit had to be left at the fron desk in case of "incidentals" after the room was paid for with my credit card. The room was clean, but had no refrigerator or coffe maker. The bathroom had no washcloths, shampoo etc. You had to bring your own, good thing i always have my own. Went with a friend as it was Negril's major weekend of partying time of year and all the big name hotels were booked for this weekend a year in advance. We arrived on Friday 7/29/11 and needed an iron and was told we were next on the list and someone would bring the iron to lend us in a few minutes. We're still waiting. The grounds were poorly kept and the pool was nasty looking. There were sewer roaches in our room and crabs on the verandah, although, you cant help the crabs with teh rains and the beach being close. We asked for an extra garbage bag for the bin the bathroom from house keeping and were told we couldnt get one. Would never stay there or recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Tansmith

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We actually had a great time, rooms were clean, food was good staff was AWESOME. We had a problem with the bed being so hard that we woke up every hour and did not sleep good. The other would be not having a fridge. We brought a baby, and had no where to keep his food cold. If they would of had a fridge left, i wouldn't of rented anyways. I think when you have a baby they should make an exception. The all inclusive part was ok except for the fact you couldn't bring something to drink in the night back to the room with you because it would get hot. Early morning it would of been nice to have coffee in a mug, and not a plastic cup ( they did that as we brought it to our room) So if you know this going in, then it can be fantastic. Oh no beach towels either.... The price was great.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Lauhouse
Atlanta
Reviewed 25 July 2011

(The travel occurred during the first week of July 2011 and this hotel was chosen based on reviews posted on TripAdvisor, and Expedia. Did I stay at the same hotel as people who posted 3 or more stars out of five? I don’t need anything fancy and a recent 5 night stay with round trip air fare non-stop (ATL to CUN) to Playa Del Carmen for a budget hotel on 5th Ave. in Playa Del Carmen was booked for $458.00. The Playa Del Carmen trip was a great experience and was chosen based on reviews posted on-line. I don’t even need a TV or any room amenities. However, what I won’t tolerate regardless of price is filthy rooms and poor service.

The room I was directed to was only moderately clean, basic, and definitely worn and in need of updating. None of the preceding is an issue for me except the clean component. On the day of arrival the A/C was hardly working and by the evening time the A/C stopped working entirely. I asked to be moved to another room, and I was moved to the immediately adjacent room. The A/C in that room was adequate. However, I found female hair between the sheets (as a single male, I wish I could say it was from a person with me but it wasn’t). I placed my beach towel on the bed and slept on top of it. There is a hotel (“resort” they call it) immediately next door that played hip-hop style music until 1AM. It wasn’t just loud, it was rattle the furniture and feel the base thumping load despite the door being closed and the A/C on obnoxiously loud. I slept 5 hours the first night (between 1AM and 6AM).
The next morning I went to the office relaying the conditions that I experienced. I know that they cannot control the music at the hotel next door. However, occupancy was extremely low at Legends during the time I was there and I asked to be moved to the garden section (across the road) or to their sister property Samsara). The front desk told me that they couldn’t make the decision and would need to check with the Manager. I told them that was fine, and that I would check with them upon my return to the hotel and after spending several hours at the sister property Samsara.

Upon my return to the hotel during the late afternoon, I was amazed to hear that the front desk “hasn’t had an opportunity to speak with the Manager”). After more persistence, I was shown to the next immediately adjacent room (yes, working my way down the hall). I was told that nothing was available in the garden section or away from the corner of the building that was immediately adjacent to music being played next door. The assigned room was also only moderately clean. Worse yet, I was met by one of the largest roaches that I’ve ever seen crawl underneath the bathroom cabinet. I again went to the front desk and told them that I wasn’t trying to be difficult, but that I needed these concerns addressed in order to have a comfortable night’s stay. I was amazed me with the genuine lack of concern displayed by the front desk. It was as if anything that involved an ounce of energy or decision making was asking too much. I slept with the lights on that night. The music next door played until 3AM since that property was hosting a party that evening. After 4 hours sleep that night (3AM to 7 AM; 10PM until 2:30AM was spent using up time at local establishments since there was no chance of sleeping in the hotel room), I checked out of the hotel and checked into the Grand Pineapple (a Couples-owned) resort up the road.

The Grand Pineapple was a good experience and I wished that I would have left Legends on the morning after the first night (by the way, they refused to refund the portion of the unused hotel stay both at the time of check out and later when trying to work through Expedia on the issue upon my return to the U.S.).

I could go on with a lot of other aspects of non-service at the hotel, the vendors on the beach (cheap Charlie is anything but a pleasant experience), the conditions of Negril in general, and interaction with the locals (but I’ll just refer you to other on-line unpleasant reviews).

I was not impressed with Jamaica. Mexico and the beaches of Florida have my next vacation dollars and I vacation at least three times per year. I’ve never run into the lack of service experienced in Jamaica. Even when staying at basic hotels in Mexico (Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta) I’ve always found the rooms to be basic but clean, and the people appreciate of the tourism money brought to their country.
I’m just glad that I didn’t choose Jamaica for an important date such as a wedding or anniversary. I would have been incredibly irritated by being left with such poor memories associated with such an important event.

Room Tip: I wish that I would have taken pictures of the hotel and its rooms. Believe the pictures posted of...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank AdvidTraveler011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Service was excellent!!!! Everyone was very friendly and the emlpoyees created an intimate admosphere, like you was at home.
My impression of the property was very very poor. It needs maintenance and a stylist. Restaurant/bar looked like it needs maintenance too. Although it was very neat, my firts impression was that it was not clean and that it looked chaotic because the furnuture looked very poor and decoratision were hideous. TIP: Hire a stylist.
Food was tasty! Room was average, but clean!!! Bed was terrible (it was very hard).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Roy001234
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We went on a guys trip to Jamaica for a friends 30th birthday. I had heard so many good things about Negril, and was super excited to get there and get the party started. Unfortunately, all these things that I heard were from people that had been there in the 80's and 90's. There is not many positives that I can post about the rooms we had at Legends. They were small, dirty, and our air conditioner (wall unit, by the way), did not work. We told the front desk this and asked if they could get someone to work on it. They sent a cleaning lady to change the filter. The breakfast was ok, but that was it as far as the food went. We ate the dinner buffet one night and the chicken had more bones than meat in it. They didn't provide any beach towels and only one bath towel, no hand towels.The only good thing about this resort was the beach security guard Michael, who kept the rastas on the beach from heckling us every 20 seconds. The security in the hotel did the same thing that I saw someone else on here comment about, and charged us 25$ or 20$ to bring a friend in who wasn't staying there. Outside the hotel, Negril wasn't much better. Don't get me wrong, we met plenty of really good Jamaican people, but you couldn't walk ten feet down the street without getting hit up to by drugs or just people straight up begging. My whole life I wanted to go to Jamaica, but I would advise anyone against it now. It is like a really hot chick who let herself go, if you catch her at the right angle you can still see the attraction, but for the most part, it is just a run down mess.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else besides Jamaica!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends