“Tours from Negril”

JuJu Tours
Ranked #7 of 81 Tours in Negril
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When hearing the words "tour company", most people picture the big, stuffy tour bus, packed with strange travelers. JuJu Tours is the complete opposite of that stereotype! We are an American owned company whose number one goal is to meet American standards. While practicing safety and maintaining professionalism is our number one priority, JuJu maintains a very laid-back "vibe" on all of our outings. Our tour guides are both knowledgeable and energetic American and Jamaican nationals. In order to offer our customers the best of both worlds, one female and male tour guide from each country attend all tours – dreadlocks, flip-flops and all. Every outing is completely private, for both big and large groups, allowing our guests to have a more intimate trip and customize the excursion to their liking. No other tour company on the island offers and delivers such personalized experiences. JuJu has over forty tours to choose from. Large groups, families with kids, couples - we have something for everyone. Amongst our array of different choices, both “touristy” and “off-the-beaten-path” excursions are available. Our primary mission, however, is to live up to our tag line “Jamaica Unleashed, Jamaica Uncovered!” Whether it be the secret cliffs to jump from, the limestone caves to explore or the rustic restaurants to enjoy a true Jamaican meal, we aim to help our guests discover Jamaica’s hidden charms and treasures. Proudly, JuJu is also the only company on the island that officially offers nightlife tours to the local dance clubs and reggae beach bars. We understand travelers tend to be hesitant about leaving their resorts, (most especially at night), and that is why two tour guides join all parties inside the venue and take them home at whatever time they choose. We have safe and comfortable vehicles of all different sizes. Roundtrip transportation, admission into all attractions, an authentic Jamaican lunch and beverages (yes, that includes booze!) are included with all tours. We also throw in a complimentary high-res photo CD of each trip for each customer.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I am more of a traveler than a tourist. I prefer to arrange my own activities and get off the beaten path. Jamaica roads, maps and signage make that almost impossible so you need a guide. Angi answered my texts in a very timely manner and Richie was friendly and courteous. Prices were competitive.

1  Thank Chad0279
"local school"
in 6 reviews
"school children"

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This review is long overdue...we visited Negril in January 2014, and signed up for an all-day tour of the Jamaican countryside, the Blue Hole, and the West End of Negril. The day combined the fun touristy stuff (the Lighthouse, cliff jumping, and a few drinks) with cultural insights you won't get with any other tour. We visited school houses, a farm (where we got to sample fresh fruit), the property where Bob Marley's home once stood, and several other locations. Our guide, Nicholai, was friendly and professional, and Angie provided outstanding customer service.

I can not speak highly enough of this tour company. There are VERY few organizations out there that seek to both immerse you in the culture and give back to the communities they operate in. I will never use any other tour company in Jamaica. We have been spoiled.

1  Thank kirkphillipsgipson
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I would highly recommend Juju Tours not only because of the experience and value they offer, but because the company is operated by a good person. I can whole heartedly attest to the quality of the tours as we booked 5 days of tours through Juju. I research a lot and practically live on Trip Advisor (among other internet search engines) while planning a trip so prior to choosing to book with them I put in a lot of time trying to figure out which company to choose. Off the bat, Angi was very warm and informative when I sent my initial inquiry to her. She answered all of my questions (and I ask A LOT) and I was pleasantly surprised at how flexible she was with combining tour options. The fact that the meals were at local eateries was an added bonus for us and another HUGE plus for us was the photos, the guides took photos while we were on our tours which was fantastic because we so rarely have photos of us (that aren’t taken by us at arms length – lol). Juju also accepts donations for the school they sponsor which is another indicator of the quality of the person behind this company.
The first day we did Dunn’s River Falls with the Luminous Lagoon. We were greeted by our gregarious guide Richie who is from Jamaica. The ride from Negril to Dunn’s river was a long one, but since Richie was so easy to chat with it went by fast. Dunn’s River Falls was beautiful and the journey to climb them was not as hard as I had feared. We had lunch at a local restaurant called Topical Vibes which was incredibly tasty, and on our way to the Luminous Lagoon Richie got us ‘fruit dessert’ of some of the most sweet and juicy mangos I have EVER had and he introduced us to Jackfruit -- YUM! The Lagoon was spectacular, I feared that it wouldn’t be a very visible glow and BOY was I wrong. It was beautiful and I am so thankful that we did that tour, that is a sight that words and photos do no justice to.
The second day of tours we went to Mayfield Falls, the Cave at Roaring River, and the Blue Hole Gardens. Again we had Richie as our guide which was cool because we were getting to know him a bit after all the time spent in the car. Mayfield Falls was pretty and was a little more of a physical trek than Dunn’s River. My only disappointment with that was how aggressive the falls guide was about receiving a tip – to the point that while our guide from Juju was changing into dry clothes he basically herded us to the car to get his money. From there we went over to the Cave at Roaring River. It was an extensive cave system that had a couple of places that we actually went into the cold, cold water while there. The one section we went into was… neat but not good for those who are not a fan of tight spaces haha. It was deep water with a low clearance under the rock so you are neck deep in water venturing into this extension of the cave… it was really cool but also a bit unnerving. There was also a large pool that Colin the local guide dove into off the ledge into the water. It was intense! After the cave we toured the Blue Hole Gardens – for which I HIGHLY recommend some bug spray to help fend off the mosquitos.
The third day we had our buddy Richie and snorkeled near Booby Cay, watched the sunset on Booby Cay then did a night snorkel. It was fantastic; Seymour our local guide for those was probably our best local guide of all. He was really informative, well-paced, answered all of our questions, and didn’t laugh too hard at me when I fell off the side of the boat. The night snorkel was such a fascinating departure from the rest of the snorkeling we have done simply because there are different wildlife out. It was not as dark as I had thought it would be. It would have been nice if each of us had our own lights for this, but I can understand that it is easier to keep the group together with one focal point.
The fourth day we were doing the Blue Hole Springs (with the 25 jump into the hole), the Negril River Tour, and Rick’s Café (because how could we not?). This day we had a different guide, her name was Nicole and she is from the US but now lives there where she runs a bed and breakfast across the street from Rick’s. The Blue Hole Springs is a very scenic location with a comfortable pool to relax in after taking the plunge into the hole. We aren’t much for lounging so after hanging out for a little bit we were about to head out when the island had other plans for us and some very heavy rain moved in. We hung out under one of the shade huts till the rain let up and we were able to head on to lunch before going on the Negril River tour. Thankfully Nicole was just as friendly as Richie so the time passed quickly. The Negril River tour was enjoyable although truncated due to the bump the weather threw at us. Rick’s was pretty much you would expect but that jump – which we did muster up the courage to do – is a bit more daunting when you stand there on that cliff!
The last day of tours we booked with Juju was for YS Falls, Pelican Bar, and Black River Safari and we had Richie back (I think Angi wanted to give him a chance to say farewell lol). YS was stunning and the local guides they had were helpful and they showed us how to navigate through the murky water of the falls (you really can’t see the river bed in the deeper parts). The Pelican Bar is a MUST, there is nothing like this anywhere else. It is the amazing bar built of driftwood out in the ocean. Our Black River tour wound up rained out which isn’t anything anyone can control (unfortunately) so that was kind of a bummer but that’s a risk you run when you visit a tropical island right?
When we go back to Jamaica, without a doubt our tours will be booked through Juju. I have recommended Juju to my friends who are considering a trip to Jamaica soon.

2  Thank CmonkeyG
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our daughter was getting married in Jamaica and we had some extra time and decided to book a tour in advance based on all the great reviews we read about JuJu tours. Our group was not disappointed. Angie and Dezzy were the best tour guides we have ever had. They exceeded all our expectations in delivering a great and very memorable time in Jamaica. We visited YS Falls and tried the zip line which was awesome! Dezzy even found a place to stop for a “squat” on the way and found something to sooth an upset stomach for a couple of our passengers. Angie informed us on the cultures, politics and history of the island and we were impressed at her passion for the people of Jamaica - her being originally from New York. After we got home to Minnesota, Angie sent us all the photos she took so we could reflect on all the great times had. We highly recommend JuJu Tours to anyone going to Jamaica, Man.

2  Thank Kathleen R
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife Mary and I just got back yesterday from another wonderful week in Jamaica (we've been more than 20 times), and we've done just about everything there is to do (and many things you shouldn't). We had one full day left and wanted to do something and so, on that morning, Mary contacted Angi at JuJu Tours to give the Countryside Tour a try: we were attracted to the school visit and the whole nature of getting out of the tourist area and visiting the more authentic side of Jamaica.

Angela managed to find a guide (Richie) to meet us at noon. It would be a foreshortened tour, but we wanted to get out, and so out we went. Richie was delayed until 12:30 or so, and that started to cut more into our time, but c'est la vie. He seemed like a very nice guy, and took us into Negril to first pick up some things for the kids at the school before heading out to Broughton, just past Little London.

There we visited the school, which was just letting out. Fortunately, there were still several of the students there, all young children 5-8 or so, and we spent some wonderful time there hugging and playing with the kids.

Then it was off for lunch with Blossom at a lovely villa near Broughton Beach: delicious lobster and vegetables in a great environment.

It had been raining on and off all day, and at this point it started getting serious. Back in the car, the rain let up a bit and we wanted to see the beach, so out Mary and I got to dance a bit in the rain on the beach. Richie, in his wisdom, stayed dry in the car. :)

Once back in the car and on the way back, the skies really opened up and the deluge began. Some streets were barely passable and Negril was awash, but the ride was fun and we made it back safe and sound thanks to Richie's more than safe and skillful driving.

And so we got back, and bid Richie farewell. Not long after, we received a call from Angi asking how our tour was, and apologizing for Richie's lateness (which was well explained by Richie, but still it was appreciated) and the brevity of the tour owing to the weather (no second school, no swimming at Blue Hole, that sort of thing). Unprompted, she offered a partial refund. I graciously accepted, of course, and thought the gesture very generous and graceful.

We've received the refund (it was PayPal), and it was for about 35% of the cost; she explained that she wanted to cover her costs and pay Richie, and asked if the amount was fair. I told her and I'll tell you: despite the shortcomings, Mary and I had a great day, Richie helped us make the best of it, we got something at the last minute arranged for us, and we were generally happy. Sure, it would have been better to leave right on time, but we're in Jamaica, mon! Yes, it would have been lovely to have a sunny day and get to swim all the swims, but them's the breaks.

And so, the bottom line is this: no matter which of their tours is to your taste, you should book with this company for their service, their professionalism, and their class. Our Countryside tour was great fun, included much more than I've detailed, and is not available through any other of the companies; had it been a beautiful day and had we left earlier it would have been even better.

1  Thank John C