“Perfect Quiet Getaway”

Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Baltimore
“Perfect Quiet Getaway”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I booked this place on a whim because I was desperate for a getaway with my husband and there happened to be a deal on Jetsetter.

I had misgivens about going to Jamaica which only deepened when we chose to take a shuttle from the airport to our hotel. The other vacationers were obnoxious and the all-inclusive resorts where we stopped to let them off weren't very nice. I was afraid of what we might be in for.

Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised. The property is beautiful and much more elegant than other area resorts.

I booked a garden room and received a complimentary ocean view room and wow what a view. Though I didn't see too much of it because the beach beckoned.

The beach is the picture of Caribbean perfection, soft white sand, clear blue water, coconut palms. Awesome.

We had the place almost entirely to ourselves and the guests that were there had clearly come to relax. I'm not aware of what the resort is like in other seasons but at this particular time it was extremely quiet and laid back, just what we were looking for. If you want a party atmosphere you may want to consider an all-inclusive.

On top of the beautiful setting and quiet atmosphere, the staff was accomodating to my many special requests. I'm vegan and the chef kept me very well fed. Try the ackee. Delicious. Additionally I wanted fresh fruit smoothies and coconut water and the owner made sure they were stocked with fruit even cutting cococuts off the trees for me.

There isn't a person on the staff that is anything less than wonderful. Our waitress, Tamara, was the definition of service with a smile.

There were only a few small things that I would have changed. For instance, the wine was extraordinarily overpriced and since it hadn't been priced we weren't aware that the bottle we drank that was worth about $10 would cost us $70. In general the drinks could have been stronger. Also the rate I booked was supposed to include a champagne breakfast but we didn't receive it. Unfortunately I forgot until after breakfast on our last day when I saw someone else having champagne.

But other than those few small thing it was perfect. I really didn't want to leave and it's one of the few places I've been in the world that I'd consider visiting again.

I'm going to post a few of the many beautiful pictures that we took of the resort here. If you want to see more you can check www.collettemattingly.com

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank mommyswami
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear valued guest…It was our absolute pleasure hosting you and your husband for your ‘getaway.’ We are so thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed the amenities offered here at Sandy Haven Resort which seemed to have provided you with the perfect ambiance for your travel needs being so quiet, peaceful and laidback. Also, we are happy that you have also enjoyed the hospitality from the owners. I’ll be sure to pass on your regards to Tamara. Looking forward to having you here with us soon!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The staff at the hotel made it the best place to stay, I felt safe as there, it was a safe haven... The rooms are brand new, the ac is awesome, the dinner venue was the best food in Negril.... Nothing is a problem at the hotel, they will sort out anything you need... LOVED IT

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Hockrocket
Dear valued guest:
We were delighted that you chose Sandy Haven Resort for your vacation stay. It is the goal of our staff to provide you, our esteemed guests with the best service in the industry and we take absolute pleasure in serving you. We are happy that you enjoyed your room and hotel amenities and we are definitely looking forward to hosting you again soon.
Hull, MA
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Sandy Haven. We wanted to try something other than an AI in Negril and this place was a perfect fit. It's new so they are still working out a few kinks, but they will get there in no time. As others have mentioned, owners Steven and Ann are on property every day and couldn't have been more gracious hosts. They really take pride in their "baby" and it shows. There's nothing else in Negril quite like this little gem!

The property: Very quiet and serene. Perfectly located - not too far from downtown and the West End. The grounds were meticulously landscaped. Everything was renovated beautifully. From the gorgeous bar and restaurant to the lovely lobby area with what looks to be a small gift shop in the near future. Gym needs some work. It currently only has 3 pieces - 2 treadmills and weight lifting machine. Equipment looked like it was bought second hand, but adequate. There is no entertainment onsite and nothing is ever brought in as well. There's only the piano in the Bongos bar.

Food: Amazing! My regards to Chef Tamar and his very tasty creations. We ate breakfast and lunch everyday at the hotel. The one night we ate at Bongos was very nice and the food was excellent, although I do think some items on the menu are a little pricey. On the other nights we ventured out an ate at Ivan's, Italian Cafe and Kuyaba and they were all wonderful!

Rooms: We stayed in a 3rd level beachfront room and I was so pleased. The view of the water and sunset was breathtaking. I've never thought it was worth paying more for a room that you're not in very much, but it was worth every penny at this hotel. I recommend getting the mattress pad on the bed, unless you like a hard mattress. Pillows were perfect. However, I did think the quality of the towels and toiletries could have been better. The showers still don't have soap dishes, but we were told they are on there way. I thought the rooms were very sound proof as well. New flat screen TV with great cable choices was an added bonus!

Beach: What else can I say but "pure paradise." The water is spectacular with soft white sand. The lounge chairs and cabana beds were very comfy too. The hagglers do approach as they walk up and down the beach - simply say "no, mon" and they will leave you alone. There is also a security guard on the beach for added peace of mind. The beach bar was fun with great reggae music playing. One recommendation: The bar chairs are not working. A concrete or wooden platform needs to be added around the bar so everyone is the same height and it needs a foot rest. We think that would have made us hang out there longer.

Staff: The staff made us feel like we were the only ones there. They were very courteous and took care of our every desire. A special thanks to Drae, Linton, Wade, Dorothy and Tamara for being so awesome and making our trip fantastic. We can't wait to keep in touch with a few of you on FB!

Everything at Sandy Haven was irie and we are looking forward to our next trip back!

Room Tip: The beachfront room on the 3rd level had an amazing view that was worth every penny. The corner room...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank ROSECQ
aueker, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is our absolute pleasure to make our guest feel comfortable, welcomed and at home when they vacation with us here at Sandy Haven and we enjoyed giving you a personalized service. Like you, many of our guests have enjoyed dining at Bongos Restaurant. I will be sure to pass on your regards to our head Chef Tamar. Being a new resort, we are still in the transition process and will eventually make this hotel the most envied in Negril with our world-class facilities. We are now equipped to provide you with specially designed and custom made pillow top memory foam to guarantee you a soothing and relaxing sleep. We loved the fact that you also enjoyed our beach facilities, namely the cabanas and lounge chairs. Your safety is our concern and we are pleased that you were quite comfortable with our security on duty.
We were thrilled that you took full advantage of your Ocean front rooms and enjoyed the breathtaking sunsets daily .These rooms are by far the most preferred rooms here at the resort. We are currently working on our facebook page so that it would be easier for you, our valued guest to keep in touch. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us in “pure paradise” here at Sandy Haven.
Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Sandy Haven is sophistication at its best. This is a beautiful property boasting sheer luxury, warmth and exclusiveness. The food is very tasty ,the service and ambiance is impeccable. I would strongly recommend this hotel, its in a class all by itself. Come, relax and partake of this treasure, it will be worth your while. Personally I cannot wait to visit again, so don't hesitate.

2 Thank Donnette G
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Hello Donnette! Thank you so much for your brief yet remarkable reviews about Sandy Haven Resort. We welcome the positive comments and feedback and we are absolutely thrilled to learn of your wonderful experiences with us. Our team is delighted that you enjoyed the ambiance and warm hospitality. We are looking forward to your return to our beautiful property here at Sandy Haven Resort!
Toronto
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just returned from Sandy Haven April 22nd. A new luxury Boutique hotel situated in one of the best areas on the 7-mile strip. The hotel is stunning, with luxury, comfort, and fantastic service! The rooms are beautiful and all have fantastic views.... this will most definately be, if not already one of the BEST luxury boutique hotels on the beach! I'm already planning my next visit.... a MUSt Book... please check it out, you won't be disappointed. (formerly "For Real" but new management and no comparison to what was...) Book it please!! (Close to everything and the west cliffs side of things)
Rosemary

Room Tip: If you want a room with a fabulous view - pick "ocean front" a suite or superior - All the...
4 Thank Rosemary B
aueker, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for your warm and encouraging comments. It was truly a pleasure having you here at Sandy Haven Resort. We are particularly pleased that you have enjoyed our luxurious hotel amenities. We will continue to exceed your expectations and we look forward to hosting you again here at Sandy Haven Resort.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Wow is what I say when I checked into the brand new Sandy haven resort. Formerly Fi Real hotel. Nothjing like the old place. from beer budget to champagne a total transformation. The owners are a lovely couple Steve and Ann that are hands on and both so professional. She has impeckable taste and has decorated her new hotel of 35 rooms with the utmost taste and such a comfortable feel. her husband Steve is a veteran in the business and was at Half Moon for years. They understand service and it shows! I stayed last weekend in an oceanfront room and it was so comfortable and the view was to die for. You looked onto 7 mile beach and the breeze in the evening and hearing the waves crash was the ultimate. Very romantic and what a location. I decided to wake up early and walked the beach with a friend for 2.5 hours and started at 5am and finished at 730am. It was a beautiful walk and the surf was high and it was so magical to watch the sunrise in Negril. The beach at Sandy Haven is so wide and that sugar sand. Tehy have the best beach chairs and even romantice cabanas for two. Nice pool and jacuzzi. I say a must stay in Negril. Great for small groups and a destination Wedding. Thumbs up on this place. A must stay! The restaurant Bongo's is excellent as well. They have a great wine list and make an awesome cosmo!

1 Thank Msmaura
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Msmaura…It was a pleasure to have you as guests of Sandy Haven Luxury Boutique Hotel! It is always great to receive these positive comments and feedback from our guests. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and the excellent customer service from our team, especially from the owners (Ann and Stephen). We both can agree that Sandy Haven is indeed a perfect and new addition to beach side accommodations and it is definitely in our intention here to make the experiences of our guest the finest. We are delighted that you enjoyed every minute in your Ocean Front room (our premium rooms) especially those breathtaking sunrise and sunsets you have seen! Indeed the setting is quite tranquil and provides the perfect getaway for anyone looking to escape from the everyday hustle to just relax and be at peace. We are most definitely looking forward to having you here with us soon!!!
NYC
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I needed a bit of an escape, somewhere to just hang loose and chill, but as a jaded international traveler who have stayed in some of the swankiest hotels around the world, I’m not easily impressed. However, a former visitor told me about this really cool hidden treasure called: “Sandy Haven.” And wow! What a discovery!!! Well, here is the scoop, because this is definitely going to be the HAPPENING PLACE.

The well-appointed accommodations of this resort are visibly striking, with modern comfortable suites, conference and meeting facilities, a gift shop and boutique and a stunning lobby area with an aura that gives off great vibes. In fact, the entire place is very chic and classy. There is an elegant piano bar and restaurant with ambient lighting that helped to create just the right atmosphere for one to luxuriate in, while feasting on the most sumptuous gourmet cuisine that is prepared to order by the hotel restaurant’s talented chef; Yum yum!!! Oh, did I mention that the restaurant (Bongos) have a superb quality house wine? Yes, this particular nectar of the gods has the incorporated distinction of its own innate enhancing characteristics that is agreeably discerned by the most subtle and sophisticated palate. Just ask the resident sommelier; he really knows his bottle.

This all-exclusive boutique package with modern amenities is laid out on the nicest patch of Negril’s 7 miles long white sands beach. The facilities include calming tranquil cabanas that are enclosed with long white drapes for optional seclusion; a swimming pool and a well stocked beach bar and a grill that altogether exudes a fun-in-the-sun, devil-may-care, do-what-feels-right atmosphere. Then there is the spa, where I received an invigorating deep tissue massage that rendered me relaxed and at the same time reenergized…a most effective form of rejuvenation and sheer magic! Then by the beach chaise lounges, the attentive pool staff, in all their exuberance, goes above and beyond; always asking guests if they needed anything, while continually serving refreshing tropical drinks, refilling water glasses and changing wet towels without asking. There is also a gym and a Jacuzzi. Relaxation, Indulgence and Enjoyment are the main emphasis in this extravagant setting…a pampering state of divine decadence.

Worthy of special mention, is the fact that this 35-room, boutique hotel with its exquisite décor, operates on a hands-on smaller-is-better premise, and meticulously managed by the hosts/owners (Steven and Ann Ueker) who personally introduced themselves to me while I was sitting in the lobby on my first day of arrival. How is that for graciousness?! Their very well mannered and efficient staff, that is obviously well trained, is always paying close attention to details while providing exemplary customer service that is beyond compare. Proprietors and staff can be observed, as they cheerfully peruse the property on a daily basis - all day; making sure the property is in top shape and that their guests are having a wonderful time. That's rare! It was very nice to see their faces and know that they care!

In the reception area, one can depend on the extremely friendly and resourceful concierge, who knows what’s where, when, why and how. Even the doormen greet you with a smile and a warm welcome from the moment you set foot in the hotel. This management has brilliantly outdone themselves; their attention to details, presentations and quality of personal services are truly outstanding in this excellent, intimate outfit. In my opinion, this hotel is 5 stars without all the pretensions and starchiness. Love the great location!

I should add that Sandy Haven is perfect for the independent single traveler, especially solitary females like myself, who wants to have fun without the constraints of fear and anxiety. We are all aware of the trepidations of being alone in a foreign country, but at this particular resort, I felt comfortable going out and about sight-seeing and enjoying the surroundings, culture, local entertainments, such as “Rick’s Café,” which is just around the corner and other varied social activities; with the confidence of knowing that I was staying in a home away from home, because the concerned staff always checked to make sure that I had returned safely. This, for me, was the most appealing aspect of the place. Hmmm! It’s was so nice to be able to get-away without a care in the world! “Sandy Haven,” indeed!!! This Ahhh-mazingly awesome upscale gem not only titillates the senses, but also stimulates the soul. Ya man, I’ll be baaack!

A very satisfied guest.

Room Tip: 1. Room Tip: The ocean front view rooms are a must have, as the sunsets are awesome! And the soaking...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
14 Thank Ner B
Dear valued guest:
It was indeed an immense pleasure having you vacation with us at Sandy Haven Resort! We have high appreciation for your warm and encouraging comments. We are absolutely delighted that this was the vacation of a lifetime for you. We are pleased that you enjoyed our resort architecture, landscape and our décor (handcrafted by our owners, Ann and Steven Ueker). Our hotel and rooms amenities are definitely one of a kind and we are happy that they were utilized to your very own comfort. Our location is absolutely ideal thus it made it very easy for you to navigate to surrounding areas to divulge into our diverse cultures while enjoying the shopping, entertainment, excursions and food and we are happy that you took full advantage of its central location. We would love to have you rejoin your Sandy Haven Resort family and we anticipate your return.