“Great Small Resort”

Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Jefferson, Georgia
“Great Small Resort”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I recently spent a few days at Sandy Haven. The hotel itself is a lovely property. They have really captured the boutique feel. The rooms were spacious and nicely done. The beach front area was always clean and well kept. The beach bar and the restaurant were a little on the pricey side for us. But there are plenty of restaurants close by to choose from. Definitely try Best in the West jerk shack across the street for some authentic jerk chicken! Steven and Ann (property owners) were welcoming and friendly as was the entire staff. We would definitely recommend this property to anyone looking for a small boutique feel centrally located on the beaches of Negril.

1 Thank Amy H
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear Amy, it was truly a pleasure hosting you and your husband at Sandy Haven Resort. We welcome and appreciate your warm and lovely review of our property. We are truly delighted that you both had such a wonderful time and even more delighted that you loved the hotel and its amenities. We look forward to hosting you again!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at Sandy Haven recently while we visited Negril for the first time. The hotel was very nice and I would say at a glance that it ranks up there with the best in Negril in terms of style and modern appointments. The rooms were nice and has great air conditioning, however our bed was rock hard. That may be a personal preference, but I found the bed to be difficult to get comfortable in. That is my one complaint about the room as the rest of it was great.

The more serious misstep of the hotel however was the level of service by the waitstaff at the beach and deck area. While certain staff members were very attentive and friendly, others were rather inconsistent. For instance, the very last day we were there, my girlfriend placed an order with one of the staff for breakfast which she never got after over an hour of waiting, which wasn't the only time something like that happened during our stay. By the time we realized how long we had waited, it was too late and we had to pack up in order to catch our ride to the airport. It was a little bit off putting as the family who owns the resort were sitting on the deck being catered to, while a paying guest couldn't even get an order of French toast! I'm not a picky person or a particularly critical one at that, but even though the example I gave may seem minor, our feeling was that the place was very nice, but definetey missing something. Sandy Haven has a lot of potential, just hope they can work all the kinks out before the peak season starts.

Shout out to Wayne Webb, our cab driver we met at the airport. Very nice guy who told us all about the island and was extremely punctual. Highly recommended if you are flying into Mo Bay and need to get somewhere. He can be reached at wyn_webb@yahoo.com

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MKE R
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear valued guest…
Thank you for your kind review! Each feedback given by our past guests’ gives us the opportunity to know what the experiences were like as it is also a means of ensuring that the Sandy Haven Management Team can position itself and implement corrective measures. We of course want to ensure that our quality standards are met and maintained in order to provide the best vacation possible. Let me offer my sincere apologies for the service you have received as well as the lengthy wait periods you endured. We are working assiduously to ensure that our guests’ needs are met promptly while offering the best service. We would be pleased to enhance your stay in the future by providing you with a mattress padding (usually available upon request) for a restful sleep. We are particularly pleased that you enjoyed your room as well as the hotel amenities. We do hope however that you will one day visit with us again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Our stay at Sandy Haven was delightful. Very attentive and accommodating wait staff, bartenders, and chefs; they're the essence of this resort. The food was great! I loved and miss the Jamaican breakfast! If you're accustomed to Caribbean spicy foods, ask the chef to prepare your meal "yardie style".... The steamed snapper was superb :)... Rooms were always attended to in a timely fashion, and the resort is attractive and very well kept. My only issue with Sandy Haven was the attitude of the owner. There was a discrepancy in the room that we were assigned, it did not match what we paid for. While the manager and other front desk personnel at Sandy Haven attempted to handle this matter in a most professional and hospitable manner, the owner intervened in a particularly condescending way. She was dismissive, unapologetic, and unquestionably rude to us. Needless to say, while both my boyfriend and I look forward to visiting Negril again, we will certainly be taking our business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you're assigned the room you paid for. Watch out for an arbitrary "upgrade!"...
6 Thank Brownsugga51
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Hello Brownsugga….Thank you for your wonderful review. It was definitely a pleasure hosting you here at Sandy Haven Resort. We are pleased to learn that you had such a lovely experience with us and even more pleased that you absolutely enjoyed the services offered by our wonderful staff. I’ll be sure to pass on your regards to them so as to motivate them to continue to provide stellar and prompt service for our valued guests. We both can agree that the Jamaican breakfast is excellent!! We do hope that you will one day visit us again. All the best!!
philadelphia, Pa USA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Recently, I spent several days at Sandy Haven for a quick getaway with my 2 kids. The hotel owners and staff were very accommodating, the location is central and perfect on Negril Beach, they've got excellent security and breakfasts on the terrace were wonderful! The rooms are modern and have great showers and good a/c which was wonderful to have in June. We will definitely revisit! Have a massage by the pool!

Room Tip: ground floor has very little privacy
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear hope, thank you for your lovely review!! It was really a pleasure hosting you here at Sandy Haven Resort with your children. We are elated that you had such a fantastic time and that you truly enjoyed the room and hotel facilities offered here on our beautiful property. On your next trip with us we will be sure to reserve a 2nd or 3rd floor room for you (hopefully soon). Looking forward to having you rejoin us.
virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Typically, we vacation at huge, all-inclusives. We wanted to try something different. It was a great change. The resort is so beautiful. The rooms are spacious and modern. The hotel is located perfectly on the beach. One day, while jet-skiing, we went up and down the beach and could not find a prettier resort.

Every morning, the lounge chairs (with towels) are laid out on the beach, under the umbrellas and the beautiful trees on site. Breakfast is served right on the deck overlooking the beach. The water at the beach is so clear that we watched a ray swim right behind our feet.

We ate dinner at the resort twice, but found better prices and better food down the beach. Try the Sun Beach right next door for better drink prices and more interesting, authentic food.

The owners were on site every day and we loved the feel of a smaller resort.

1 Thank beebstx
, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you for your lovely review! It was a great pleasure having you as guest of Sandy Haven Resort. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed the features of your room as well as the hotel amenities. We are even more delighted that our beach area suited your specific style and that it was to your liking. We are continuously finding new ways on how to make your stay here with us a favorable and memorable one. We do look forward to hosting you again.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My wife and I visited Sandy Haven for our honeymoon at the beginning of June, and we had an absolutely great time! While the resort obviously was still sorting out a couple of bugs that come from being recently re-opened, we found the overall experience to be wonderful.

We ate almost exclusively at the property, and we were never disappointed by the menu or the chef. The drinks were both reasonable and delicious, and the bartenders were helpful and friendly. In fact, overall we felt all the staff were friendly and courteous. Some of them obviously were a little green at their jobs, and were new hires, especially at the front desk, but we never felt like we had a problem with service.

The rooms were very nice, spacious and clean. The beds were a little less than luxurious, and I think ours was actually two mattresses combined, but the view from our balcony definitely made up for it. The property is small enough that you never feel like you are too far away from either the beach or the pool.

While we were looking for a peaceful place to relax, there was plenty of things to do on the beach, and the hotel was really helpful in setting up a day-trip out into the country-side. The beach was clean and absolutely beautiful, with plenty of chairs, umbrellas and trees for shade.

Our only complaints would be that the main restaurant definitely needs some sort of air conditioning, the heat was just sweltering. Also, we found the bugs (sand fleas, or mosquitoes, or both) to be a bit of the problem, but we knew that just comes with the territory when you're in the tropics. And, while the managers were exceptionally helpful and accessible, we did feel like that they often were the sole point of communication, and we wish the staff were more knowledgeable.

Overall, this place definitely deserves to be on the short-list for best small boutique hotel in Negril, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Hello Wade…Thank you for your wonderful comments. Together, with our staff it is our absolute pleasure to make our guest feel welcomed, comfortable and at home here at Sandy Haven Resort. It is always great to receive these positive comments and feedback from our guests. It was truly our pleasure to have you and your wife stay here for your honeymoon. We are indeed working assiduously to iron out the few start up kinks and we thank you and appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Like you, many of our patrons have really enjoyed Bongos Restaurant and have particularly complimented the outdoor lounging area. We are quite pleased that you have enjoyed your room amenities, the beach area, and the choice of foods on our menu among the other hotel amenities. We look forward to hosting you and your wife again at Sandy Haven Resort!!!
NYC
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I'm a Jamaican, now American, (from Westmoreland), l and have probably stayed in or visited every single small and large Beach hotel on Norman Manley Blvd in Negril.

Sandy Haven gets it.

They are doing the best job at what the other small hotels are trying to do, and need to do. The rooms are clean, spacious, airy, luxurious and modern. The baths the lower category rooms are better than some American four and five star hotels.

I had no problem with the service - in fact, one of the owners emailed me personally before my arrival to help me with some details of my trip. When I arrived, another one of the owners assisted my with my internet... I mean, he connected me.

The staff was incredibly friendly and were always asking me if I needed anything.

The restaurant was great! I am a foodie, I love to eat - but my son doesn't. He was able to find a dish on the menu that he loved as well.

While Sandy Haven is still undergoing some renovations, I believe that you will not find a better small hotel on Seven Mile Beach for the money. When they are done? The all-inclusives better watch out.

Fantastic.

It is simple

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Hello Isis…Thank you so much for making Sandy Haven Resort your number one choice for vacation destination with your son! We are absolutely delighted that you could have joined us and that you had such a wonderful time. We highly appreciate your comments and feedbacks. We express our sincere thanks to you for taking the time to write this great review about Haven Resort. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and as such we are thrilled to know that you have enjoyed the personalized service from our wonderful team who made you feel at ease and very much at home. We are also quite pleased that both you and your son loved the meals that were creatively done by our chef. I’ll be sure to pass on your regards. Looking forward to having you rejoin us here at Sandy Haven Resort. See you soon!!!