Sandy Haven Resort
US$99
  • Pool
US$212
US$193
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$71
  • Breakfast included
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
Hotels.com
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$150
  • Breakfast included
US$484
US$469
Bookit.com
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$78
Cancelon
All reviewsboutique hotelcontinental breakfastbeach barocean frontsecurity ladyseven mile beachcomplimentary rum punchan ocean view roomnegril beachfresh towelsdouble sinkssmall hotelsun beachevery morningupon checkrooms are beautifulfirst morning
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sandy Haven 5 nights during our honeymoon in Negril. We really enjoyed our stay because we thought it was clean, had great food and excellent service. The rooms have a modern feel as the hotel was newly renovated within the last 6 months from what we were told. Really enjoyed the large bathtub, large bathroom with 2 sinks and oversized balcony that faced the beach. They were kind enough to upgrade our room to the nicest room option as it was our honeymoon and this was at no extra charge to us! The bed was a bit too firm for us, and we found it strange that there were no room service menus in the rooms although room service was offered (and was promptly delivered, just kind of weird no menu from which to order from). Biggest complaint was that there were only 3 working TV channels, and because the weather was somewhat rainy during our trip, this was a bigger deal that we might have guessed! The staff at Sandy Haven, although maybe a bit inexperienced as the hotel is new, is nothing but cordial and willing to do whatever their guests need or want...whether it was delivering a bottle of wine to the room or assisting in making excursion arrangements or setting up our massages! Food was of excellent quality...try the jerk fish sandwich! Also phenomenal breakfast each morning (not included in room price) of fresh fruit, juices, french press coffee, mimosas, delicious muffins with assortments of jams, and banana pancakes...this was an exceptional breakfast and worth paying for! My thoughts in general are that this hotel will only get better as time goes on...with attention to guest "creature comfort" needs!

Room Tip: Spring for the beach view! Sunrise and sunset views will take your breath away and drinking coffee as you watch the sunrise from your balcony is awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you Sarah M for your great review! We truly appreciate the time you took to make this post. Indeed we are delighted that you chose Sandy Haven Resort for your honeymoon and we are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the tranquility and quiet surroundings - which all contributed to a wonderful getaway. Guest satisfaction is our priority and we want to ensure that while here; all your requests are met accurately and promptly. We can both agree that the staff here is wonderful and quite passionate about serving our guests. This review means the world to them knowing that our guest appreciates their hard work & caring. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandy Haven Resort!

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Arrived Wed the 3rd - Departing Sunday the 7th to celebrate a birthday. Best part of this trip was the beach and POPS!!!!!!!! Pops made this stay worthwhile. He was very nice, accommodating and just a joy to see each day.

Main points are:

1. CHECK IN - is slow. Although it's a new resort (opened in March), the front desk employees were not expeditious in checking us in and getting us to our room, especially after the hour drive from the airport. In addition, one receptionist had a cold (not allergies bcse I asked) and was wiping her nose and asking for a signature with her ink pen at the same time (call me a phobe idc).

2. AIR CONDITIONING - went out in our room around 6pm and since the resort had no technician on duty and not available until the next day, we were offered fans OR and opportunity to change our room (which I would think is standard, not necessarily in ANY sense of the word an "accommodation").

Unfortunately for us, there were three women in a room who were getting prepared to go OUT for the night (on vacay remember) when the a/c went out, which meant we were to stop our plans for the evening,(on vacay) to REPACK and move every piece of clothing, shoes, makeup, earrings, snacks, purses, etc etc to another room.
Again, we were getting prepared to go OUT for the night and to halt what we were doing due to something that was 100% out of our and the resort's control (I get that part-stuff happens), yet 100% inconvenient to us/the guest................and to not come with SOME kind of accommodation was insane.

After speaking with the owner and asking for an accommodation he basically asked me what that should be. I explained to him that I don't work in the resort/hotel industry, never had this happen to me, so I couldn't possibly tell him what the accommodation should be just make an offer.

As I explained to he and his wife, bottom line is that we were NOT trying to "get over" on them in ANY sense of the word but felt like an appeasement was in order for the inconvenience. I also told them that I didn't want a "refund" or anything (esp since it was already a Groupon deal), just SOMETHING to say; "we are sorry for the inconvenience." Didn't want to hear "here are three fans, and hours later oh you have to move but we're gonna separate your party." Ridiculous.

Later got a call from the owner's wife (MUCH more professional) offering to upgrade us to an Ocean View room that was for one but the other two (in our party of THREE) would have to stay in a separate room. #Epicfail ~ I was rooming with my sisters and we WANTED to room together, not be separated.
So clearly this a/c issue was a mess.

3. UNSOLICITED/UNPROVOKED OVER THE TOP ADVANCES BY STAFF-Since there were SEVEN (women) of us total, I guess the younger male employees were a bit intrigued.
On TWO different occasions we received a phone call IN our room:

The 1st phone call (from the laundry area per caller id) was a young man asking "were you the one who just went upstairs?" <----very evident that he was looking for one of us specifically and decided to call each room until he found "her." Just so happens I didn't know/care WHO he was looking for and quickly ended the phone call by hanging up.

2nd phone call (not sure were on the property it was from-didn't look as I was napping) was 20 mins after my sisters left and I was in the room ALONE. I got that phone call asking if "I needed anything?" My reply "like what, no."
He proceeds in asking me the same question again and I repeated my reply "no, like WHAT?"...................... finally he stated, "are you SURE you don't need a purple suck?"

I then said " a purple suck, what is that (then it starts dawning on me what it could mean) so I replied.......... "NOOOO, who IS THIS??!" (Because it starts to dawn on me what he means
I WAS TERRIFIED.
Again, in the room alone (my sisters/friends were gone) and I get a creepy phone call about getting a " purple sucked." Most horrific experience on the trip.

I already felt as though we were being watched (via security camera) and that 2nd phone call pretty much confirmed my thoughts and left me feeling 100% uncomfortable and fearful of being in the room alone. I could NOT wait on the other girls to return, since I never went with them.

Though the owner's mentioned that security was never an issue on their property, it was NO consolation to me after hearing that phone call. Typically just because something has never happen on their property does NOT mean that it couldn't have started that night. Unnerving.

After telling the "owner" about this phone call, he advised me that he'd investigate it and get back with me. Needless to say he did not, so I followed up with him in passing (on the way to the beach) the next morning and he blew me off.
I stayed on the beach for hours (in plain sight of the resort) and STILL never got a word from him. Finally I went to the computer in the lobby area and asked the reception if he was there. They advised me that he was not, and wasn't sure if he was going to return for the evening. So I told them that he did not get back with me about our conversation about the phone calls I would have to follow up with a police report.

In less than 4 minutes the owner's wife came down from her office and asked to speak with me. Again, she is the SAVIOR of this establishment. I spoke with her at length but she basically told me that it was hard for them to follow up on the "phone call" because I didn't advise the from desk right away (great way to blame me) but whatever.
Ultimately after I spoke on my discontent with the phone call, and the a/c issue, and the RUDEness of her husband, and the toilet issue, she offered us a round of drinks at their restaurant near the lobby area.

Basically, it took tooth and nail for us to get ANY kind of accommodation at all which I thought was poor business.

4. INTERNET- was awful inside the rooms and on the beach. We were told that it only works in the lobby area which is pointless to have if every time we need to use our laptop we have to go downstairs. We were later provided a user id and access code (after a storm and outage) to use the internet but had to log in over and over to use it. Again, pointless when free wifi is advertised.

5. TOILETS- Before we were moved to the 2nd room, we used the toilet ONE time and it was stopped up. Maintenance came and repaired it, worked fine shortly after.
Got to the 2nd room (again after the a/c outage) and THAT toilet was stopped up as well after one use. The came to our room three times to plunge the toilet.
Later found out from other guests that they had the SAME issue and were AS dissatisfied as we were.

Overall, this resort does NOT get my recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Trip A
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was my first trip to Jamaica, and I traveled to Sandy Haven because of a Groupon deal I got. I have to say, I would not have paid the full price of the hotel, but for the price I got it at, I was pleased.

First, the room. The room was nice, hardwood floors which was awesome in the heat. AC worked great, small-ish flatscreen tv, two sinks, a combination safe, giant showerhead. We had a king size bed (which was two twins pushed together...but that didn't bother me that much). Yes the bed was firmer than I would like, but it wasn't so hard it was uncomfortable. Everything looked very "modern" styled. Rooms were cleaned twice a day. Standard toiletries / soaps were provided. Our room didn't have slippers or robes.

Second, food. We ate the continental breakfast everyday we were there, because prices from our restaurant were expensive. Continental breakfast includes a fruit plate, pineapple / orange juice, mimosa, coffee, toast and jams, and muffins. I am not a big breakfast person so it was a good amount for me. We ate at the hotel restaurant "Bongos" twice while we were there. The portion sizes are pretty big, but expensive. The first night, we decided to eat in the restaurant since we were so tired. Two beers, one app, and two entrees was almost $100. This would maybe be ok if the food was GREAT, but the food was just good. The second time we ate there my SO and I shared an entree instead of getting 2 full meals. This worked for us, but if you were really hungry you would need more food.

Next, the staff. Everyone in general was good. Helpful and friendly. The only issue we had was trying to reserve activities to do. We tried to go through the front desk, but the woman at the counter didn't have much knowledge on the local tours. We wanted to do snorkeling one day, and do a Wild Thing boat tour another day. We booked Wild Thing boat tour through her, but she didn't tell us that snorkeling was also included in the package. This turned out ok for us, but if I had known we were snorkeling I would have brought my waterproof camera case. If you want to book Wild Thing cruises, I would suggest walking down to Wild Parrot and talking to the owner there. She runs the Wild Thing boats and is very friendly and knowledgeable (it IS her boat after all).

Overall, the resort was nice, the rooms were good, the food was good but overpriced, and the staff were good as well. I am glad I got the Groupon rate however, because if you are paying full price you may be better off in an all inclusive.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kristin Y

Hello Kristin T…It was definitely a pleasure hosting you as guest of Sandy Haven Resort and of equal importance is the fact that you chose to spend your first time with us!!! We thank you for your very thorough review. We really appreciate your feedback. Your mention of our wonderful staff members, the room amenities, decor, cleanliness, cuisine, as well as the other facilities on property are very much appreciated! We’re so glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly service that Sandy Haven offers. We appreciate all your insights and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Hello Everyone,

I usually don’t write reviews but I strongly felt I had to share my experience with everyone. I have travelled around the world and have stayed at many hotels/resorts, guest houses and hostels.

I was honestly blown away by Sandy Haven and the experience I had in Negril.
I just returned from 5 day 4 night stay at Sandy Haven Resort in Negril, Jamaica for my Girlfriends Birthday. We went to Sandy Haven to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Sandy Haven is literally HEAVEN on earth.

Beautiful Boutique hotel on the seven mile beach in Negril. Very well decorated with custom furniture and design pieces are sure to please. The hotel has a SPA like atmosphere/features which allows you to relax and enjoy your stay.

The hotel has a beachfront deck with a great view of the ocean where we enjoyed breakfast in the mornings. We arrived on a Friday where the hotel had BBQ dinner set on the beach. The setup of the tables, candle lights were just the perfect touch for the evening festivities.

During the day we sat by the beach enjoying amazing margaritas served from the back bar. We took a dip in the water whenever we felt. The beach was always clean, the water was crystal clear and calm.

The staff were extremely nice, welcoming and will go the extra mile to get you what you need. I believe this stems from the owners (Steve and Ann) who strive on delivering great service to ensure you were comfortable and that you enjoyed your time away from home. There was a guard on duty in the front and back of the hotel, not to say Negril was dangerous or anything but it was just a comfortable feeling to know someone is always watching out for your safety.

We had the ocean view room -> the room was very spacious and the staff kept our room clean all the time with two room services per day. On our last day the cleaning staff decorated our bed with flower petals around heart shaped towels. Great surprise!!

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION..Sandy Haven is by far the best located hotel on the beach. It’s in the middle of the strip and close to Time Square shopping center and all restaurants. Less than 10-15 minute drive to famous Ricks Café.
Steve, Ann and the staff were very helpful in terms of giving directions and finding you the best deals in town.

GOING OVER AND BEYOND:

Steve learned about my girlfriend’s birthday and he reserved one of the cabanas as a gift for the day. What generous offer, it sure made her day.

Last but not least, it was a Sunday evening around 5:30 pm and my girlfriend wasn’t feeling too well (it’s not something due to food or anything, this has happened to her in Canada as well). All of the clinic and pharmacies were closed for the day in Negril. Steve went out of his way not just to drive her to a clinic in Montego Bay (which was about an hour and 15 minutes away) but waited at the clinic until she got checked by the doctor then drove her to a pharmacy (which was another 15-20 mins away) to get medication. By the time we were all done it was around 8:30 – 9 PM in the night. We are honestly and truly grateful for everything Steve, Ann and rest of the Sandy Haven staff did to make this vacation enjoyable. I can’t say enough GREAT things about this place.

It’s truly a warm and welcoming place in Negril. Not just because it’s a beautiful hotel with all the modern decoration, walk out to beautiful warm crystal clear waters. It’s rather due to the warm and friendly faces that make Sandy Haven a paradise everyone must visit.

I will always stay at Sandy Haven every time I visit Negril. No doubt about it.
Steve, Ann and Staff at Sandy Beach, Thanks for EVERYTHING you did to make this trip memorable.

With much LOVE
Ash and Char
NOTE: Will add more pictures once I have time to download them. I flew back last night and I am posting this from work ;).

Room Tip: We had the Ocean View room but I would upgrade to Beach Front for better view of sunset and beach
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mr_Footy
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Hello Ash and Char...It was indeed a pleasure hosting you both here at Sandy Haven Resort!! We, the Sandy Haven team is extremely happy that we could have created such a warm and relaxing atmosphere during your stay. We are so thrilled that we could have made your girlfriend birthday so special and unforgettable. We can definitely agree that both Steven and Ann are great hosts who will go the extra mile to ensure that our guests are comfortable and equally satisfied. Also, we are very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed the continental breakfast on the beachfront deck as well as our weekly “BBQ Friday’s” on the beach. Once again I must agree that our ideal location in the center of Negril makes it very convenient for our guest to make their way in and around the town without any hassle. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandy Haven Resort; your home away from home!!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Overall and great experience! From the owner, to the wait staff, housekeeping, etc., everyone was super nice and attentive! They also had security guards to ward off the harrassing people on the beach trying to sell you things! The beach was so nice, and there were plenty of chairs, umbrellas, and towels waiting for us every day. The rooms were spotless, food was good, and very conveniently located to everything. We would have liked to have a safe in the room since we were not always there when housekeeping and the evening turndown/towel people came. The door in the bathroom leading to the toilet and shower did not have a knob and did not really stay shut - would have been nice, but won't keep me from going back. We enjoyed the wine cooler since we bought some Red Stripe and bottled water at a supermarket and put it in there, but I would have also liked space to bring back my leftovers from the restaurants. The bed was a little firm for me (loved the pillows), and it seemed as if we had a bed that was actually two mattresses pushed together so there was a ridge between us. The A/C unit was right over the head of the bed - I would have preferred it on the other side of the room as I don't like air blowing on me all night, but that is just a personal preference. We had the continental breakfast each day and enjoyed the fruit, toast, muffins, mimosas, coffee, juice, etc...did not have a chance to experience the spa.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CMS1986
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!! We truly appreciate the time you took to write in. We are delighted that you chose Sandy Haven Resort for your honeymoon and we are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the laid back and quiet surroundings - which all add up to a perfect, romantic and serene getaway. In the future we would be pleased to enhance your stay by placing a knob on the door. Guest satisfaction is our priority and we want to ensure that while here, all your requests are met accurately and promptly. We can both agree that the staff here is wonderful and quite passionate about serving our guests. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandy Haven Resort!