“Sandy Heaven, cant wait to return!!”
Review of Sandy Haven Resort

Sandy Haven Resort
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Don't know where to start to tell you about the amazing experience we had at Sandy. This was our 4th trip to Negril and 2nd stay at Haven. Thank u so much to Stephen and Anne for such great hospitality. They make u feel very welcome and at home. Everyday we went down to the beautiful patio and ate the best continental breakfast as well as the best home fries.( the most delicious potatoes fried to perfection with green peppers and onions) absolutely delicious food. Sefton makes u laugh everyday but keeps you safe. Solomon has really loosened up @ Bongos and all of the ladies at the front desk very helpful. Staff is amazing. Rooms are stunning!!!! Looks like a perfect picture from a magazine. Hot showers,cold air conditioner. Fresh towels always and 2 room services a day. Sounded crazy at first but such a great idea. The room stays so clean throughout the day and perfectly waiting for you when your ready for bed. Pool and hot tub very clean. No murky water here!!!! We will definitely go back to Sandy Haven for years to come.Can't wait to return to hear more "frog" stories from Anne:) Thank you so much for help making such great memories in our life!!! Dan and Amanda

Room Tip: Jr. Suit is right next to pool and awesome room!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amanda d
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Hello Dan and Amanda...Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandy Haven Resort. We are thrilled to learn of your experience with us! We are very humbled by your kind words of our staff members and are so glad you enjoyed the seclusion and peaceful ambiance we offer our guests. As a repeat guest of Sandy Haven Resort, we sincerely appreciate your positive comments and feedback! We both must agree the location is superb for relaxation, the perfect hideaway! We look forward to having you both as our guests of Sandy Haven Resort again and again for a relaxing stay and of course; for more “frog” stories!!

There are newer reviews for Sandy Haven Resort

Reviewed 9 November 2012

After this visit, I had to write a review … my first. Upon arrival, the welcoming ambience is sure to captivate you. My friend and I stayed here during the 'National Heroes' weekend and right from the start until we checked out, the staff ensured that we were well taken care of ... they were most courteous, well-mannered and very helpful. The proprietors seemed to have known us for quite a while as they made us feel like family, and both had an affable personality.

The hotel is strategically located in the middle of the 7-mile beach so either way, one could always take a stroll along the beach while enjoying the panoramic view. The gardens are lush and beautiful, so we could choose to sit on our verandah and enjoy the scenery.

Dining at Bongos was a most enjoyable experience – the restaurant setting was exquisite, the meals delectable. Breakfast on the deck, while enjoying the view, was as relaxing as taking a soak in the jacuzzi. The bar-tender (on the beach) made a very good daiquiri. The amenities are to die for … I especially loved the rain shower-head, man!! The bathroom was impeccable and housekeeping provided fresh linen was daily.

We asked the staff for advice on entertainment activities off site, and had a ball at a famous nightspot. Check-out time is 11:00 a.m. - we were allowed to check out at 2:00 p.m. This was due to unforeseen circumstances, but how accommodating!!

I look forward to another stay at Sandy Haven – soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear valued guest…On behalf of our entire hospitality team, we would like to thank you for your fabulous review of Sandy Haven Resort!! We are delighted that you enjoyed the peaceful ambiance, our quality service standard (especially form the housekeeping department), the room and hotel amenities, our ideal location (middle of the 7-mile beach), and more! We are also thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the atmosphere and delectable meals at Bongos Restaurant. We look forward to hosting you for a future visit. One Love!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed in Sandy Haven for one week, we had the most amazing time!
We arranged a private airport transfer directly with the hotel and from the time of booking until we reached the resort, the staff has been very efficient and friendly. The owners were also very professional, they gave us lots of good tips. Not sure why some reviews state otherwise as they couldn't have been more helpful and interactive.
The resort is brilliant, not too big or too small, the room was immaculate and the beach was beautiful!
We hope to be able to go back soon. Great experience throughout, would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a breathtaking view, and very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Frenchiegyal…thank you for your short but positive review of our property!! We sincerely appreciate your feedback as this is one of the ways in which we motivate our staff members to continue to provide excellent service to our guests. We are happy that the services and amenities offered here were to your specific liking. We anticipate your return!!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

My partner and I have just returned back from a two week stay at Sandy Haven, We were made welcome from the very first moment we arrived, with rum punch on arrival while we were efficiently checked in. We had an ocean view deluxe room which was wonderful but were then moved to an ocean front room due to hurricane Sandy's imminent arrival, the staff showed great concern for their guests at this time, and I would like to thank them all for this.
Our room was bright, of a very high housekeeping standard and the bed gave us the best sleep ever. Showers so amazing we both took at least two a day.
During our two week stay, we sampled many dishes from the restaurant and all were first class, especially the Paella, Yum.
When ever we required any information on tours, water sports etc Pops the concierge provided and organised everything, taking the hassle out of us having to do this, thanks Pop.
Our breakfast which included champagne cocktail was served each morning by Cadine, who was very professional and a true gem (Cadine I only wish I could have brought you home with us to Scotland).
We had many a rum cocktail or Dirty Banana professional made for us at the beach bar by Andre', and many a good (and bad ) joke told.
To sum up, if you would like a truely magical, relaxed and chilled out holiday then look no further than Sandy Haven, My self and Brian know for sure that we will be back in 2013.
Our congratulations to Steve and Ann on such a wonderful hotel.

Jane
Scotland

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Jane and Brian! Thank you for your recent visit at Sandy Haven Resort. It was really our pleasure hosting you here in Negril (coming all the way from Scotland). We are so happy that you had such a fun and relaxing time here with us and that you enjoyed the services of the staff. We are also very pleased that we were able to make you both feel so secure during the passing of hurricane Sandy. Your kind words about our staff (Andre, Cadine and Pops) are very much appreciated and I will definitely pass on your regards to them. We are surely looking forward to your return in 2013!!

Reviewed 27 October 2012

I just cannot get enough of this property...the service is fabulous, the rooms are clean and relaxing and the food is great. We stayed here in April and had to go back in October. We are already looking forward to the next visit. The rain shower head is to die for. I really didn't need to wash my hair but I just had to feel the pressure of the water running over my head.
The cabanas on the beach is super relaxing, we grabbed your towels, books, shades and just didn't want to leave. The view of the sunset was amazing as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank trina256
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Hello Trina!! On behalf of our entire hospitality team here at Sandy Haven Resort, we would like to thank you for your fabulous review of our food, room, cabanas, and more! We’re so glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly service that was provided. We look forward to your return soon!

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Like so many of you I had read the reviews that were given about Sandy Haven, and was getting a little worried that my stay wouldn't be what I expected. But I can say to you that it was beyond GREAT!!! If you want to go to a place where everyone treats you like one of the family then Sandy Haven is the place for you!!! For those people that had a bad experience I am not sure where you stayed because it couldn't be where I and my husband stayed. From the minute we arrived you get the feeling that you have arrived home, from the staff that checks you in to "PoPs" who gets you a much needed drink, and carries your bags up to your room, to the wonderful wait staff that brings you wonderful coffee in the morning, to Andrea that brings you your drinks while you lounge on the beach. This is not a place where you just read everything written in your room, but a place that wants you to interact with them! My husband and I just had to ask for anything we needed and the staff was more than willing to get it for us. The best part was how the owners Steve and Ann came up to us on our first morning there and introduced themselves to us and every morning or moment then on when they saw us they would say hi and ask how everything was. Everything about Sandy Haven is magical, and I and my husband have decided that it will be the place that we will go every year when we want to get away just the two of us!!! So thank you, thank you Steve and Ann and the rest of the staff for giving us a wonderful time and we miss it already!!

Room Tip: If you don't know what to do, or don't have something in your room, just ask they will get i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
SHRsm, Manager at Sandy Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Hello Annamaria! It was really a pleasure hosting you and your husband here at Sandy Haven Resort. Your review of our property is very refreshing!! We are delighted that you have enjoyed the great hospitality of our staff (especially POPS) and as such I’ll be sure to pass on your regards to him and the rest of the staff that made your stay so wonderful. Each guest is extremely precious to us and therefore we will always ensure that your expectations are met while vacationing with us. Thank you and we certainly do appreciate your kind words. We are most definitely looking forward to having you both with us again and again! All the best.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I spent five days and four nights at this hotel. Although the hotel is beautiful (it is new), it was clear from the time we checked in, that it is not particularly well run as far as service is concerned. The owners were not very welcoming, and some of the front desk staff members seem to be following the owners' lead in that regard. Unlike most vacations, I was happy when my time at this hotel came to an end, because I felt very uncomfortable while there.

The check-in process took too long (more than 30 minutes after a long day of traveling), as did anything requiring payment during our stay; they could not figure out how to work the credit card machine. Because I read reviews that mentioned the hotel's unusual requirement that a $250 (US) hold be placed on a credit card at check-in, I was not surprised when asked to provide a credit card for that purpose. However, I was offended while we were checking in, when one of the owners said, "Don't break anything." I am still not sure why she felt it was necessary to express such a warning to guests, especially two female adults (one middle-aged and the other more senior). Nonetheless, I provided a credit card (American Express) and then a second one (Visa), after the owner stated that she did not know how to process the hold on the American Express card. At the end of our stay, I took pictures of the room as proof that nothing was broken when we left.

The room itself, a garden view, air-conditioned room with two double beds, was very clean. The shower was nice; it had excellent water pressure, was clean and had a rain shower head. A shelf on which to stack the towels would be useful; they stacked the towels on top of the towel rods. Perhaps they should consider storing the towels, which were provided in good supply (although some were a bit dingy), on the shelf underneath the double sink vanity. The beds were quite hard, which is probably due not only to the type of mattresses, but also to the wooden platforms on which the mattresses were placed. In addition, some of the basic amenities which are even routinely found at most “chain” hotels, were missing. For example, the room lacked a refrigerator. But it had a thermo-electric wine cellar. I presume that the wine cellar seemed better suited than a refrigerator for a “boutique” hotel, and was happy that bottles of water could be chilled in the wine cellar. Also, there was no iron in the room, which was not a complete surprise.

The hotel provided a nightly turn down service, which would have been nice (albeit unnecessary) if one of the male staff members had not opened the room door, without knocking, on an evening when I was taking a nap. Fortunately, he quickly left when I picked up my head from the pillow.

I was very happy to read on the hotel's website, prior to my trip, that the hotel has a gym. But, I was again surprised when I discovered that what was described as a "state of the art" fitness center in some of the hotel’s literature, was really a poorly ventilated room with two rusty (literally) treadmills and a seemingly equally ancient all-in-one fitness machine. When I showed my sister a picture of the treadmills after returning from my trip, she joked that I would need a tetanus shot if I intended to use the treadmills.

The hotel's restaurant, Bongos, like the hotel itself, is beautiful. We had dinner there twice and especially enjoyed the pumpkin soup appetizer. The second time we had dinner at Bongos, we learned that a cocktail hour, about which we had not been informed, was being held for the hotel's guests at that time. Out of the eight or so other guests we saw while at the hotel (it was off season), only two other guests attended the cocktail hour. We wondered if the other guests' invitations were lost as well. That evening, we met the hotel's Sales Manager, Heather, and like the owners and front desk staff, she was not very warm. She approached our table, with her arms crossed, introduced herself (without extending her hand), and then asked, “Are you staying with us?” (She emphasized “us.”) I found her question interesting, because the hotel was almost empty and I had noticed her on the property more than once before that evening. I would think that the Sales Manager of a small, only partially-booked boutique hotel would know about, or take the time to notice the guests prior to the night before they are scheduled to check out, especially when hosting an event for the guests. Heather spent less than a minute talking to us at this event held purportedly in the guests' honor. Like the owners, she was rather unwelcoming.

We found, however, that most of the staff members that worked in the restaurant, as well as the housekeepers we encountered, were friendly. Additionally, we felt safe while on the property, notwithstanding one particular security guard who behaved inappropriately -- making seemingly coded, insulting remarks.

In sum, if deficiencies in service and an unfriendly atmosphere do not bother you, and you sleep well on a hard bed, then you would most likely enjoy this hotel. Be sure to tip your servers in cash, because I understand that if you include a tip in a credit card payment (when paying for meals and drinks, for example), the tip will not be given to its intended recipient.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family