“Romantic and exquisite!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Miami Beach, Florida
“Romantic and exquisite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I just had the most fantastic vacation at Sandy Haven Resort. It was absolutely perfect from the beach location, elegant decor, ever friendly staff and well prepared and presented meals.
I was a little skeptical when I saw negative comments in a few of the reviews but upon our arrival I was quickly put at ease. The staff are sweet and helpful. We received a genuine, warm welcome from the front desk, (Tanya and later Tamar) who attended to our every request so politely and efficiently. In no time we felt right at home; I noticed the hotel's atmosphere entices people at the resort to be friendly, mingle and become quickly acquainted.
At breakfast the actual owners, Ann and Steven, would greet us and the other guests and what I found truly unique and refreshing was how sincerely interested they were in our vacation experience and were always quick to help or assist with planning site seeing trips or just giving general information on the local activities. I have to mention this one instance where I had mentioned I'd never had fresh coconut water and Ann surprised us with two fresh coconuts the next day.
Pops was also a real gem, he helped us when arranging snorkel trips, parasailing and jet skiing (we did all of them! :D) Even Charm, the room attendant was pleasant and helpful (she graciously took care of some laundering requests we had).

We ate out a few times and did not bother to eat outside for the rest of the trip. Bongos, the hotel's restaurant was by far superior to anywhere else we tried in Negril, such an unexpected bonus. The food is truly remarkable.

My boyfriend surprised me with a romantic dinner on the beach. Words can not even begin to describe.... the ocean, the setting, the food! We were tended to by Solomon, who served us competently, professionally and always with a smile.
We had stayed in one of the luxury Ocean front rooms, which was outfitted with the most comfortable soaking tub...which we took advantage of... it was perfection! As part of the surprise that night the staff prepared the bath for two complete with chilled Prosseco and champagne flutes, rose petals and bath salts ... the epitome of pure romance.

I will not forget this vacation and will readily return to Sandy Haven again and again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alexandra C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

This trip to Negril was absolutely made more awesome due to my stay at Sandy Haven Resort. The staff was super attentive and made sure that our needs were handled quickly. Several people checked on me when I was feeling sick and even offered a "magic" drink that had me good to go an hour later (Thanks Andrae!) When you stay here, all you have to do is ask, and someone is there to help you enjoy every part of your stay. Tamar, Denim, Pops...you guys are the best! Thank you for everything! We will see you again soon!

Room Tip: 3rd floor has more privacy. There are no elevators, so prepare to climb the stairs to top floors.
1 Thank HeatherRene
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I don't know what hotel these other reviewers stayed at but it couldn't have been Sandy Haven. From the second we stepped on property we were treated like we were the only guests of the hotel. From Tamar at the front desk who once she found out my roommate was feeling ill after too much Jamaican rum at the local club The Jungle; arranged for a special drink (from Andre the bartender) to cure her ailments and continuously checked on her until she felt better, to our hospitality staff, Edmond, Garth, Denim, and especially Pops who knows how to find anything you need quickly and how make it affordable. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. We had a gorgeous view. The hotel is literally ON THE BEACH so you take a step out into the out door bar area for drinks and your are there! There are many excursions that you can arrange through the hotel. I suggest the snorkeling tour and the sunset cruise over to Ricks Cafe with JJ and Brent who shuttle you over and are very helpful. Security is tight and i never had to worry about my belongings or beach vendors hassling us much as we sat outside lounging and watching the beautiful sunset. I have done a great deal of traveling and this was by far the best experience we've ever had. THANKS SANDY HAVEN STAFF!!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room.
1 Thank nsutton2002
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Hello, overall I would say my stay was very well. The grounds were well maintained and cleaned. Our room was on the third floor with no elevator, but had a great view of the ocean. My only issue was in the evening time, bats would fly around the pool making it difficult to get to our room. They offered a free continental breakfast which was okay. We didn’t try any of free Mimosas, forgot about that. The breakfast was okay, but could be better. The jacuzzi was not working during our stay and based on other comments it hasn’t been working for some time. The Wifi was hit or miss at best in our room, but we didn’t need it during our stay. The staff was great in Bongos Kitchen; they made us fresh Mango juice when asked. Chef Lin catered to our needs being vegetarian. Surprised us on the meals we ate and made us feel like we were at home. Other staff members were also real helpful in getting us fresh fruit. Overall, we loved our experience at Sandy Haven.,

Room Tip: The ocean view was great.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank P K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

1. Customer Service - The service is unbearably slow and rude. They can only do 1 thing at a time...therefore they are ONE TRICK PONIES. If you ask a waitress for a cup of coffee and some hot sauce, be prepared for it to take about 30 minutes to receive both items. The waitress will literally carry one of the items that you asked for on a large waitress tray, and then go back and get the other one. The entire time you will be made to feel like you are inconveniencing them. Once you order breakfast, be prepared to wait over 1 hour while the PONIES go out and graze!

2. Inconsistency - Let's stay with the coffee and hot sauce theme. The next day, you will ask for the same thing, it will take even longer, and the waitress will return and tell you that it costs extra for the hot sauce. No joke! I hate feeling nickled and dimed like that. Some of their moving target policies are so absurd that you want to laugh. Apparently, although they charge you "per person" for the room, the deplorable continental breakfast is only 1 per "room" and not 1 "per person". WTF? So am I supposed to share 1 teacup of coffee, 1 watered down mimosa, and 1 dense mini muffin with my Husby? When I inquired, the waitress brought more and then whispered "Please don't tell anyone." Bless her heart. 0_0

3. Amenities - Almost everything was BROKEN or BROKE DOWN. Broken hot tub...broken spa (out of service), broke down "gym", and no WiFi. At least the ocean wasn't broken! LOL

4. Location of the resort. Fabulous location on 7 mile beach.

5. Cleanliness. The place was clean and modern. The grounds were well kept and the beach was clean and inviting.

6. Bar. At least the bartenders were nice and made great drinks!

Although the resort was clean and the location was fabulous, that doesn't make up for the Broken One Trick Pony Phenomenon that kept rearing its ugly head. Neiiiigh!!! #horsesound. I suggest that you stay at greener pastures on 7 mile beach.

If you dare to stay here, I suggest that you skip the "free" continental breakfast and go somewhere else for breakfast on 7 mile beach. Or grab a patty and some Ting on the side of the road.

3 Thank Traycita
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Ok, let me start off by saying the hotel itself was nice as far as the decor, but I won't stay there again due to the lack of quality customer service. The staff and management lacked good customer service and their policies changed daily. I guess the owners/ manager think a nice decor can hide all the negative, unprofessional aspects of the hotel. Well, it can not...I travel a lot and have stayed in many resorts, and this was the first time I've ever experienced such bad service at a hotel. I don't like feeling as if I'm being "nickled and dimed" and I felt that way at Sandy Haven. Here's why:

1. Lack of Customer Service: I booked through Orbitz and paid in advance. When we checked-in, I was told there would be no additional fees for up to two in the the room so I signed my contract and proceeded to check-in. The next afternoon, I received a call from the manager stating I'd have to pay additional $$$ for having an extra person in my room and fees even though i was told the opposite during my check-in. I had prepaid and was not prepared to come out of pocket an additional $300. The management should have honored the rate I was originally quoted. Additionally, they should have honored the fact that I was told by their front desk agent there would be no extra charges or fees for having two to a room.

2. The "Free" Continental Breakfast was undesirable: They offered free continental breakfast per person per room which consisted of a small fruit plate, a tiny muffin and a even smaller glass of juice. And don't ask for anything extra, like an extra piece of toast, etc. because you will either be charged or told "they don't have anymore" Lol. Oh, and as for the complimentary Mimosas, you can only order one watered down mimosa per room and not per person (smh)...The breakfast was interesting to say the least, the staff was very slow. It took over an hour each day, so be prepared to wait.

3. Lack of Amenities: The jacuzzi was broken, Wifi didn't work in my room, and the gym which consisted of two treadmills didn't work and was closed for repairs.

I will say this, overall Sandy Haven is nicely located in a gorgeous section of 7 mile beach. The grounds were kept nice and the beach lounges were laid out with fresh towels every morning. The bartender and staff near the beach were friendly, etc. The management just needs to work on how they run their business, because in hospitality you are to provide a pleasurable experience to you customer so that they will want to come back or refer others to your business. I was very dissatisfied with how my group was treated so the next time I visit Jamaica, I'll take my business elsewhere where my patronage will be appreciated.

Note to Owners: It's bad business to "nickel and dime" your hotel guests and leads to an overall poor experience to your patrons.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank T2theBe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

My friends and I went to Negril for a wedding. Half of the wedding party stayed at Catch a Falling Star and the other half stayed at Sandy Haven. Everyone at Catch a Falling Star raved about the service they received while those of us at Sandy Haven had quite the opposite experience.

1. Be prepared to pay per person and NOT per room. They have a rate for each per person per room. So if you book your travel and think you're getting a deal, think again. Upon arrival they will inform you that you're paying per person.

2. Be prepared to receive services per room and NOT per person. They advertise a free continental breakfast with a mimosa and coffee. Well the waitress informed us that it was ONE mimosa and coffee PER room.

3. Be prepared to wait at least 2 hours before you eat your breakfast. The service there is SO slow that you literally wait hours just to eat. I've never seen anything like it.

4. Be prepared to feel like you're bothering the staff when you ask for extra towels, a glass of water etc...There were about 3 nice wait staff there. The rest has an attitude.

5. Finally, all their "spa" and "gym" facilities were out of order. So please be mindful of that if you are interested in taking advantage of any of those amenities.

• 2 of 5 bubbles