“The cold showers occurred but... we had a great vacation!”
Review of Sandy Haven Resort

Sandy Haven Resort
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Cold water issue-
It is March 15th 12:30. Room 223
We have not had a warm shower since checking in March 14 at 4pm. Told Monique on March 14(she could be welcoming and warm) she told me we could move to 325 the next day.Do they expect us to take wash-ups in the sink because thats the only place you get somewhat warm water.
Told Nikesha on March 15 ,she states there is no note left fir the move and plus no rooms available to move (never apologized,she could be welcoming and warm) told me the owner will be here at 12 pm and was told to have owner to call us. We have not received a call. Cadeja (I believe I spelled correctly , apologized.) She greeted us each time we crossed paths .I love her and Canute was helpful.

Solution to issue-
I told my husband to go sit in lobby.After an 1.5 of letting water just run(hotels sugg.) ..no warm water still, They know already they have an water issue..but they lead you on.
We were moved to a villa which was more room than we needed but very nice! Shower water was still cold but had spots of warm and even very hot on some days. We enjoyed every bit of the room .Everyone doesn't get this upgrade when their showers have only cold water. So good luck!

Rooms-
Had garden view at first .Updated furnishings,beach colors, nice!
If you do not want housekeeping walking in on you,ask for a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN.One day they walked in while I was in shower and luckily they heard my husband.

Food-
THE BBQ on the beach was $25 per person,all you can eat,plus service and gratuity came out to total $60 for two.
Choice of food was magnificent!
Fruit punch or rum punch (no refills )Salad ( letttuce , Greek) ,soup-lobster bisque, pasta , pork ribs, jk.chicken, snapper, lamb,3 desserts, It was the best meal we have had so far! We didn't visit bar.

Beach-
Towels ,chairs always available! Rolled up ones meant not used yet.Bring your own floats.
You will be approached to buy stuff by locals, just say no thank you and walk in opposite direction.

Entertainment-
Neighboring hotels play live music on certain nights. I guess its coordinated.

Safety-
Security on duty.If they see locals hounding you they tell them to move on because they not suppose to trespass. No lifeguard was seen for 5 days.

Overall-
We enjoyed our trip .If we never had a warm shower we would have to force ourselves to take one .
if no room was available,believe me they wouldve been reinbursing us with cash before we left.
Great for singles and couples
Would like to try one of family oriented resorts(BEACHES) when we bring our children back.

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had a wonderful time. It is a great location with amazing friendly staff. Close walk to the beach and surrounded by many activities such as parasailing and more. I would definitely return there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'm going to save the best for last because I like to end things on a positive note. This was my first trip to Jamaica, and I went alone as a solo traveler. I was excited, but a little nervous just because I was alone. I extensively researched hotels because I wanted to make sure I was comfortable, safe and in a great beach location. When I arrived some things were not in order, but all in all I made the best of it and had a good time.

CONS:
- First day I was in a garden room when I clearly paid for a ocean room (no attempt to compensate for this obvious error on their part, so I've had to take it up with expedia)
-First day, no hot water on the premises. I had to wash up in the sink because I couldn't tolerate the freezing water to shower and wash my hair.
-Second day, moved to a better room but WAIT.... NO water at all. So this is day 2 without a real shower and without my hair being washed. Wonderful.
-The champagne continental breakfast that comes with the reservation includes no champagne. A little false advertising perhaps, but nothing to get worked up about.
- Third night at 3am in the morning 4 guests were naked by the pool, clearly intoxicated beyond measure and hollering to the point that it woke me up. I called the front desk. No answer. Thankfully I packed earplugs. (Find out the direct extention to security if you choose to stay here because you can't reach the front desk after hours)

PROS:
- The staff, particularly the restaurant and bar staff are AMAZING. They go out of their way to know your name, ask how you are doing and make sure you are having a good time. Many thanks to Linton, Romaine and the beach bar crew and Fidel the security guard at the front for being purely spectacular.
-The rooms are modern, spacious and well appointed.
-The food good, even the non-champagne continental breakfast
-The security staff is on the property 24/7 and they keep out the riff-raff, and make sure that the beach merchants don't get too pushy
-The location is great, and walking distance to Margaritaville and a bunch of other places
-Wifi access was pretty good across the resort

Would I come back to Sandy Haven? Maybe, if I knew their plumbing issues were really fixed. I read about guests going without water a few months ago and thought it was a one-time issue, so I booked without too much hesitation. Now I think otherwise. Sandy Haven has the potential to be the best boutique resort on 7 mile beach but management needs to step it up just a little, and also be willing to accommodate guests when they are inconvenienced, put in wrong rooms or faced with other issues.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a large wrap around balcony. Building 1 is all oceanfront (go for that!)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank prettyterp4
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is my absolute favourite hotel in Negril and I have returned many times, truth be told, there is no other boutique hotel on the beach to match Sandy Haven's standard. The staff are always so welcoming and I am always made to feel like a special friend returning. Pops is ever smiling and very willing to go the extra mile to make my vacation perfect. Nikkei at the Front desk is efficient and knowledgeable and always pleasant, she is always willing to give me suggestions and assistance with meal reservations or beach activity. Andre and Linton the barmen are warm and always greet me with a smile, ready to strike up a conversation while mixing the most amazing cocktails, they seem genuinely happy to see and serve their guests.
I stayed recently when the hotel was having plumbing difficulties with hot water and while bathing in low pressure cold water was unpleasant it did not ruin my vacation. I encountered a number of complaining guests who really seemed to be opportunistic and unreasonably wanted to demand a free vacation. My view is, things will go wrong and I saw that both management and staff were very concerned and were working to have the problem fixed. Everyone tried to make us feel as comfortable as possible even though the hotel was full and changing rooms was not possible. Although some guests were not to be consoled it seemed that no one opted to check out... that alone spoke volumes!
Sandy Haven remains a beautiful luxury hotel, there are many present elements that say so, the quality of service, the thoughtful decor, the room size and quality of the amenities, a great gym, the standard of the furnishings, the cleanliness of both the external and interior spaces, the location on the well kept and secure Beach just to name a few. Sandy Haven is deservingly more expensive than the other hotels which frankly are mostly dives. I will return again and again and most certainly will continue to recommend it to my picky friends.

Room Tip: Spring for the Ocean Front rooms, the 3rd floor has the very best views, it's worth the extra mo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Pros- great central location on 7 mile beach;friendly restaurant, bar, housekeeping staff; small hotel so all rooms are a short walk to the beach; spacious room even with 2 double beds; French-pressed blue mountain blend coffee served at breakfast; good food; Saturday beach BBQ was good value; just across from Mary Gate of Heaven catholic church for Sunday mass; also across from Michael's store that sells yummy patties

Cons- no room on our first night due to overbooking; 'this happens ' smug explanation from night manager,same manager didn't want to initially pay for our breakfast in the other hotel he sent us to when our hotel reservation with Sandy Haven included breakfast; other hotel's room was a lot inferior compared to Sandy Haven; when we finally returned to Sandy Haven, no shower water as boiler was being fixed

The good news - hot water problem was resolved after our first night and shower water was restored. Apparently water pipes got clogged with mineral deposits and had to be replaced.

Will I recommend this hotel? Only if they stop overbooking. Shows no respect for the customer. Hotel management can certainly learn customer service from their restaurant,bar, housekeeping staff who know how to do it right.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my third trip to 7 mile beach, and my best experience. Before I selected this 35rooms, boutique hotel, I read several mixed reviews on this site. But I knew, viewing it from the beach, it would be for me. I have to say, I am not enamored with huge, all-inclusive resorts, and this definitely was not that! The hotel property was immaculate, including room, pool, and beach area, and tastefully decorated with a very modern flair. I arrived to a quick check in, the manager, Pops, comes out with a rum punch to welcome me. I was taken to my room which looked and was very comfortable, ...king size bed with a very thick, hard mattress. The other two places I stayed had cheap, thin,uncomfortable mattresses....the wood inlaid floors were very nice....a flat rain head shower, with raised modern sinks, huge towels..., a dressing area with closet space...an adequate air conditioner. Outside, was a private patio with table. The service was great, European breakfast on the outside patio with French press coffee was to die for. Lunch(good food) could be served on the beach patio, at the lounge chairs, or any of the other restaurants on the beach. The staff was very attentive. I like to use the pool, which couldn't have been cleaner. During my stay, they were setting up all new equipment in the gym. The owner and manager, and staff were all friendly, personable..my only complaint was the dinners served in the beautiful dinning room. That was a different kitchen, and food was tasteless and not very good...the rest was first class!

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor, garden view. When making a reservation you can request beach or garden si...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank iriedette
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had booked our one week stay at SH thru Jetsetter.com. We grew a bit concerned after reading negative reviews regarding a water issue just before leaving but at that point our flight and resort are paid in full so all we could do is hope for the best. We arranged transportation with Gary's Jamaican Taxi to SH. We were greeted at the airport, then offered to exchange some $, we stopped for a couple cold ones and then off to the mega market to purchase our supplies for the week. Great job Gary! We checked into our room and had asked upon check in if the water issue was resolved and we were told YES it was. During our 7 day stay we had one almost warm shower one with no water and the rest all cold. This is such a shame because this boutique hotel has an awesome beach setting including beautiful rooms with balconies but ALL of the guest were complaining about the showers. I don't understand after this going on for a couple of weeks prior why management didn't come up with a fix or be more honest with their guests about the problem. The day before check out we asked management how they could compensate for this inconvienance. We spoke with Heather and told her that we have had cold showers with low water pressure and that our travel wine glasses were missing. She offered a 15% discount on our room stay and was also going to find our missing glasses that the maid accidentally took. The problem was that since we booked our stay with Jetsetter SH would have to reimburse Jetsetter and they would then reimburse us. I wasn't terrible comfortable with this process so I asked if the discount could be taken off our meal and bar tab and Heather thought this could be done but she had to have it approved by the owner. Heather was very composed, exhausted and promised a letter delivered to our room confirming if they would be taking the 15 % discount from our tab. Next morning check out: No letter, no discount, No Heather, and No wine glasses!! If management would have made the exception and took care off the discount immediately and compensated for the wine glasses we would have walked away and thought at least they cared enough about there guests! Problems happen but it is how you deal with the problem that matters. As I said this property has such potential and some off the staff was outstanding! Big shout out to Linton, Sinclaire and Pops! Management and promises thumbs down!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple