“When we bit into the lobster dish it was insane”

Blue Mahoe Restaurant at The SPA Retreat
Ranked #7 of 195 Restaurants in Negril
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Jamaican
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Vegas, Nevada
“When we bit into the lobster dish it was insane”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was our last stop in Negril...We spent the day bar hopping and eating in different places throughout the day... So when we arrived we were shocked they allowed us to come in since I was wearing just a bathing suit and sarong. I'm so glad they let us in. Let's just say Blue Mahoe is by far the best restaurant I've been to in awhile. We were seated right on the water with a nice candle and a view to die for! This restaurant is on the cliff side of Negtil. It's spacious and has the most welcoming and pleasant staff. For starters I enjoyed the Mozzarella and Tomato Salad which is drizzled with pesto and balsamic vinaigrette very fresh and plentiful. For our main courses we both chose the jerked lobster! WOW is all I can say when I bit into the first bite. The meat was so juicy and beyond tender it was like butter melted in our mouths.. My husband and I had eyes like saucers we just could not believe how succulent and fresh this lobster tasted. Jamie also came by our table and checked on us and we could not stop talking about the lobster. She was very pleasant and caring about the restaurant. One of the best meals I've had... Thank you for your service and so glad we decided to come here for our last meal in Jamaica.

1 Thank Stephanie C

USA
“Good but.......”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The setting and the service are excellent. Beautiful seaside restaurant and staff that are so friendly and attentive. My first "meal" was ala cart sides - rice and peas, callalloo and a cup of pumpkin soup - all of which were delicious. I was very full so we opted to return a different time to try the chocolate cake.

When we did, there were 3 of us and we ordered chocolate cake ($6) and a piece of cheesecake ($9). Both were good but certainly not worth the price they are charging. We also ordered coffee. When the waitress returned and offered to top off our cups - from the pot she had - we didn't know we were going to be charged for a second cup at $2.50 a cup. So, 1 piece of cake, 1 piece of cheesecake and 3 cups of coffee came to $33 USD!!!!!!!! We did request credit for the additional coffee charges, which they granted.

Such a lovely place but a little on the pricey side for my taste. I'd go for dinner again but wouldn't stay for the dessert!

3 Thank mpls001
Nashville, Tennessee
“Completely Wowed Us”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

After hearing about this restaurant for a couple of years, we decided to try it for a nice dinner out while on our recent trip to Negril. We visit Negril frequently and have tried several of the restaurants there. All I can say is what took us so long?

We called that afternoon and asked if they did what many restaurants do in Negril which is to provide transportation one way. You pay the transportation back to your hotel. The driver picked us up and took us back to Negril Treehouse near Couples Swept Away on the beach and charged us $7 US. We gave him $10 US. (I actually remember it being $10 plus tip, but my husband says he is sure it was $7.) The driver, Audley, was very professional and had a very nice, large air-conditioned van which was clean and very well-kept. He was a safe and did not speed.

From the time we walked into the restaurant and were greeted by a very warm and genuine Gregory, we knew we had come to a special place. Because the resort is still fairly new, I thought the gardens would not be mature yet. I was wrong. The setting is beautiful situated on the point near where the cliffs begin to get higher in Negril's West End. We were able to see the gardens, because we asked for a tour of the resort after dinner. Gregory was happy to accommodate. We were thoroughly impressed with the entire property and may book a stay there in the future.

We enjoyed an unbelievably welcomed light and refreshing evening breeze blowing across the point throughout dinner. The breeze just absolutely made our evening, because the July heat this year was almost unbearable at times after the ocean breezes died down at the end of the day. We have made the trip a few times in July to attend Reggae Sumfest. We ate a few meals during this trip that we were unable to enjoy only due to the evening heat, but not at Blue Mahoe.

The server did a fantastic job and was there, when we needed something without being intrusive. He anticipated our needs consistently throughout the meal. We started by sharing a deliciously-fresh Tomato and Mozaarella Salad which we split. I ordered the chicken stuffed with callaloo and cream cheese served with grilled pineapple. Wow, it was amazing. There is another restaurant in the cliffs which serves a similar dish called Chicken Lola which is one of my favorites in all of Negril. The Blue Mahoe Stuffed Chicken was just as good and possibly even better. My husband had the Rasta Man pasta with penne, callaloo, ackee, sweet pepper & scotch bonnet pepper. He enjoyed it as well. We also ordered a very nice perfectly-chilled and presented sauvignon blanc from New Zealand. This meal was the best we had during our trip of five nights in Negril and four nights in Montego Bay.

Be prepared to drop some bucks to eat at this wonderful place. The salad, two entrees, and the bottle of wine were $150 US. But, we were happy to pay it. It was worth every penny.

My only suggestion would be regarding the attitude of the girl/lady who answered the phone, when we called to make the reservation and inquire about the pick up. She got a bit of an attitude, when we called back an hour ahead of our scheduled pick up, to ask if we could push it back 30 minutes. It was the only pretty sunset for the entire week, since this is rainy season making it cloudy at sunset almost every day. We wanted to watch the sunset. She behaved as though this were a huge imposition at which point I said that we would just keep our original time. She then became a little nicer, but she told me somewhat abruptly that their last pick up was typically at 7:00. I found this to be a bit odd, since I cannot imagine any restaurant in a beach town known for its sunsets having this policy. She could have handled our request a little differently, because hers was the only attitude we encountered from anyone at Blue Mahoe that was not completely customer-oriented and extremely pleasant. We will definitely return to this restaurant on future trips to Negril. Just a wonderful evening.

2 Thank GinSha1
Dallas, Texas
“LIFETIME IMPRESSION”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Spa Retreat in Negril for 5 days and ate dinner at the Blue Mahoe almost every night. I was completely BLOWN AWAY by the culinary expertise, freshness of the food, Jamaican/American/Vegetarian/Vegan food options and beautiful presentation of everything I ordered. Not only was the food exceptional, the view breathtaking but the the customer service was out of this world. The staff at Blue Mahoe brought SERVICE WITH A SMILE to a whole new level. Gregory's smile was always welcoming, Richmond and Dwayne hooked the drinks up at the bar, Tyrone and Casandra were rock stars for wait staff and Rannoy moved around the kitchen like a pro!!! This resort and resturant made an amazing and lifetime impression on me and I have already recommended it to dozens of friends.

3 Thank Sree20142014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Don't believe everything you hear.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The only thing on my plate that tasted good was the single slice of grilled pineapple. The chicken was bland and flavorless, only tasted of oil. My friend said his fish was okay. I was so disappointed, as I've wanted to try this place for a few years. The service was excellent, though.

1 Thank cjcjcjcj2014