“Lov'n the Lost Beach Experience!!”
Review of Lost Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lost Beach Resort
Ranked #73 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 June 2007

When we first arrived in Jamaica from the states, my first thought was wow! how different everything looks. My second thought was how glad I was my boyfriend thought to arrange with the Resort, transportation to and from locations. Riding with Sebert, gave us some local flavor and knowledge of where we were and what we were seeing. It was a ride I soon won't forget!
I think that what I will always remember about Lost Beach is the kindness of the staff and their willingness to go out of their way for anything we needed. We went deep sea fishing and Capt. Borrah kept us on the water so we could see the sun set on the ocean. It was breath taking and so romantic! Then to eat our catch that night was sooo delicious!! Snorkeling the reef was so incredible, you felt like you were in your own world, and it was fun to watch the fishermen spear fishing and to dive down for shells. We ate fresh Lobster and sea food that night. I was in heaven. There were days we sat on the beach and did nothing but read, swim, and drink Red Strip beer, laugh, walk up and down the beach finding shells. On other days, we went into Negril and up into the mountains to Mayfield Falls. I loved how I got to be a part of local life. Watching the local villagers row out to the ocean, casting their fishing nets out and hauling in their catch. Collecting clams, and seaweed for food, and polishing conch shells on the beach that was found in the ocean. They embraced us and welcomed us, and I feel when we come back, that we will be returning to visit with friends! A word of advice, bring bug spray for sand fleas (it works well and keeps them off) and a toothbrush cover. (you are on a tropical island!) We had a lovely time and will be returning! A word of thanks to Jennifer for sending my battery charger to me.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank nofyr

Reviewed 21 April 2007

JAMAICA NO MISTAIKA
Jamaica has been on my “to-do” list since I started thinking about travelling at the tender young age of 17! Still an avid Bob Marley fan at the ripe old age of 35, the alluring image of sandy beaches, friendly people and local herbs was too tempting to resist any longer. What better way to escape the nasty London winter than to spend New Years eve island style.

Air travel during peak season is not for the faint-hearted. Security has become such an issue that is it essential these days to allow for at least three hours check-in! My man and I missed our flight out of Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay and ended up flying to Kingston instead, amazing-race style! Spirit airlines offer cheap flights once you’re in the USA and they’re worth checking out to save those well earned pounds and dollars! The long queue at immigration allowed us to check the various options of getting to our destination – the sleepy village of Negril.

Car rental was one of the more adventurous options, however we realised that the 3-5 hour journey may well have been extended well into the night once we had negotiated our way out of the Kingston airport and the potholed roads! Kingston was humid and crowded and we ended up catching one more flight on Air Jamaica straight to Montego Bay and were collected by the shuttle service offered by our trusty “Lost Beach Resort”. The “short” journey seemed endless, swerving potholes, people and goats! We realised how wise we had been not to attempt the drive!

Sporting dreads down to her waist, our wonderful host Jennifer welcomed us with open arms and we were shown to our self-catering cabin, in the last of a line of wooden cottages, totally private and secluded. Having survived a long distance relationship for six months, my man and I were in our element!

We awoke the next morning, eager to see our lost paradise in daylight. It was beautiful…A long stretch of beach, calm blue seas, quaint fishing boats alongside the water’s edge and peace and quiet. No hussle and no bustle, no rude shoppers pushing you in front of a bus on Oxford Street!

Our first excursion took us by boat to Little Bay, where our Captain and guide showed us around the island. First stop was for a red stripe, the local beer, at one of the local restaurants. Next up was a trip to the most beautiful herb garden I have ever seen - nestled in a coral garden, growing as mother nature intended. There was a little black kitten playing amongst the buds, walking in step and just missing the large sandals of the cool hippie gardener who proudly showed us around. Respec! Then the highlight of the trip, a visit to Bob Marley’s house.

The now deserted building still has an energy surrounding it and the locals protect this historical landmark with pride. The circular architecture of the building lends itself perfectly to the sunrise and sunset rooms overlooking the bay, perfect for meditation and song. The interior of the house has been destroyed by an architect commissioned by Rita Marley – each panel has been numbered so that when shipped it can be put back together again. I doubt that the locals will ever let Mrs Marley move the house to England as she had hoped. Thing is, this house is already home.

Walking around Little Bay, I am reminded of how rich I am. Yes I have the digital camcorder and dollars in my pocket, but I am even richer for experiencing different culture and being open to a more simple life. The focus here is on community and the rastas believe in one love, that family helps family and that everyone is universally related. The locals grow their own vegetables, calaloo (spinach) and pick the ripe fruit of the Ackee (poisonous when not ripe!)

We were invited to cool off in one of the Bob Marley’s favourite spots – a natural cave pool, filled with crystal clear fresh spring water, guaranteed to take five years off my your age. Instantly I felt at peace in the water. My attempt at launching myself out of the water with the rope was not as graceful or as peaceful as I would have hoped. I bashed my head on the rock and was lost in a daze for quite a while!

Many a lazy day was spent in Jamaica, simply doing nothing. Now that is harder than it seems, but oh what a pleasure! We needed more time and decided to extend our trip for another 5 days!

We discovered Negril and all of its tourist traps, including Jimmy bufer’s MargharitaVille, boasting 52 flavours of Margaritas and enough TV’s to satisfy any American Footballer and give me a major headache.

Taxis are easy to organise, and in particular the bike taxi on a 50cc motor cost less than a dollar and is quite an experience. The trick is to see just how much shopping your driver can carry whilst driving!

Another highlight of the trip came in the formof a purple “Shadow” motorbike – big enough for two and small enough to avoid the paranoia of skidding out of control, avoiding a goat or soccer ball on the road! We cruised through Negril, stopping off at Rick’s Café where we dove off the high cliff and felt the pulse of adrenalin slap our bits and bobs! We finished the perfect day with a spin on the desserted beach and felt the wind in our hair and the freedom that comes with it.

We sipped cocktails at Pirates Cove and watched through the blow hole as waves treacherously smashed against the cave wall. Bandits used to hide their stash in the caves and pray that they would not get busted by the sea or the local police.

As a foodie, I had my favourites – freshly brewed Blue Mountain Coffee with condensed milk; jerk chicken; jerk pork; jerk sauce with everything!

Sap juice – a fruit resembling the taste of banana, mixed with cinnamon.

The local bakery’s special chocolate brownies with a buzz….. mmmmmmm.

Lobster thermador from Kuyaba restaurant.

Jackie’s on the reef was an idyllic spiritual haven, with loads of interesting books to look through, sparkling crystals and interesting artefacts made for an incredible visit. Hurricane Ivan has transformed the landscape recently, uprooting trees and leaving behind huge rocks from the ocean.

Negril’s seven mile beach is littered with tourists and traders, offering everything and anything you could possibly ask for. However we were never pushed into buying anything that we were not interested in.

A sea trampoline for the kids and adults, jet-skis, para-sailing, boating, hair braiding, jewelley shopping, wood crafts, recreational pharmaceuticals, the lot!

After 7 days in our rustic cabin with even rustier fans and a pee-ing toilet only, we were kindly upgraded to one of the more luxurious one bedroom apartments in Lost Beach Resort. Oh Aircon, you blessed invention! Not to mention Mr Crapper’s flushing machine!

There are no rules in Jamaica. Blessed is Jamaica and all of its people. “No problem” the mantra.

What more could you want from a holiday?

one love
[Namboy's gal!]

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled as a couple
5  Thank namboy
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Greetings and salutations to my travelling compadres!

LOST BEACH has taken my heart! And, I will continue to visit as long as they remain as rustic and simplistic as they currently are ... being from the Caribbean I have a very special appreciation for everything Lost Beach--yes, the resort took me back to my care-free primary school days in the islands and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world today. I was smitten!

Currently, I work and reside in the Northeast tri-state area and I was seeking a vacation during which I could simply recharge my batteries. I didn't want anything modern except the kitchen and bathroom, everything else, I can work with -- that is EXACTLY what I got at Lost Beach ... no television, no radio, no disturbance. I went to the town market, got my food and liquor for the week, and RELAXED!!! And, RELAXED some more!!! On market days I purchased fresh fish from the fisherman, handed them over to the kitchen staff and RELAXED until dinner was prepared.

A truly awesome time in a community I find charming and tucked away ... just what one needs to realign the soul.

Very truly yours,

Sherry L. Theus

Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank LadyTopaz
Reviewed 7 February 2007

My husband and i stayed at lost beach for the first time for new years eve 2005, and fell in love with it! So on our second trip to jamaica (for our honeymoon) we decide to stay there again! i contacted Jennifer myself by phone and booked our reservations! and belive it or not for us only staying there one night last year she remembered us and it was like talking to an old friend! we stayed there for one week this time i can not complain about anything! Infact it was truely hard to say goodbye this time because it was like saying goodbye to true friends! but i must say we will be back!! we miss u all..... (Jennifer, Ms Harvy, Musky, Donavon, Lisa, Angie, and Nanisha and the Locals that we met!) cant wait to see you all again!! take care! Stacey and Desi Broughton! (need a driver call Dwaine!)

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank canadian_stacey
Reviewed 13 January 2007

Do you feel like you are losing your mind in the everyday hustle and bustle? Find it at Lost Beach, my friend. I was a part of the wedding party from Michigan that was at Lost beach in November. I had a tremendous time! The wedding was splendid! The beach is secluded and decorated beautifully with a tropical canopy. The food was out of this world! The best part about lost beach is that it is off the beaten path (literally). One would expect that the food and service would suffer as a result of such but it is simply not true. The natural beauty of the island is absolutely wonderful. Take advantage of the island excursions. I recommend the waterfalls. It's cool if you're a beach bum, but don't leave Jamaica without having seen more of its other attractions. The service was extraordinary. The manager Jennifer is so patient and kind. Mrs. Harvey was so warm and hospitable. And talking to Kesha, Musty and Winston made me feel like I was conversing with people I had known forever. Dwayne and Winston were protective, knowledgable drivers.
The accomodations (2 or 3 bedroom suites) are like small apartments. You have a small kitchen you can stock with groceries. There is a small living area, bathroom and bedroom. No televisions, no phones...just right!
If you are one of those types of people who have never been exposed to real nature or who considers your vacation as time that is set aside to flip through channels on the television all day then candidly, you can stay home and do that. If you want to experience the real Jamaica this is it.
So stop looking at that Tropical Screen Saver on your computer and day dreaming about being in a tropical paradise.... go to Lost Beach and make it happen for real! The peace you feel will be well worth it.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank 1intheson
Reviewed 4 January 2007

Our second time at Lost Beach, and they say it is never as good the second time? well they are wrong wrong wrong.

If you are looking for an all inclusive hotel that is just another copy of all the other all inclusive places (you might as well just go to Florida then) don't come here.
if you want to experience what Jamaica is all about, have a visit at Lost beach.
This place is so cool, the beach is yours and yours alone, nobody trying to sell you stuff or push anything on you, the locals are incredible and you should take some time to get to know them!
Plenty to do and see (go visit Bob Marley's house, the batcave, the mineral springs, the falls etc etc) Catch a boat ride to Little bay or go on a real fishing trip with some of the locals.
Read a book at the pool, the hammock or any other place you want to get comfy in.
If you need a ride,ask for Dwayne he will take you anywhere you want to go and tell you about Jamaica.

We'll be back
Michael and Jo de Nobel

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NoProblems
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Just returned from Lost Beach Resort Jamaica,what a life changing week!If you are all about all inclusive over the topresorts dont go.If you however want to experience real Jamaicaand some of the best people youll ever meet this is for you!I travelled alone and was a little worried as to how it would be.No problem mon!The staff will do anything to give you the best holiday experience possible.ifound the trips reasonably priced and a good way to see jamaica at its best.The rooms are basic,but fine,no t.v or phone which is a great thing!Take good bug spray this is the tropics!The most important part of staying at this resort was the people and location,the facilities were by American standards basic,but that so didnt matter,find whats really important at lost Beach

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo