Seastar Inn
Ranked #1 of 46 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We purchased a deal on living social for $366 (7nights). Prior to my purchasing the deal I researched the reviews. They were good reviews so I purchased it. I must admit the deal was too good to be true so I was leery about my travels all the way to the property. To prevent putting all of my eggs in one basket I booked a second property just in case I wasn't happy with Seastar. We felt welcomed from the time that we arrived. Cassandra addressed me by my name when I stated that I was there to check-in. I smiled a great big smile as I felt like I was home and somebody knew my name. I was already a long ways from home and this automatically made me feel most welcomed. The security guy walked us to our room which was VERY CLEAN!!! and fresh flowers were in our room. The guest at this location became like family as we began to commune daily about our lives back home and our interest in Jamaica and other talks. The saturday night show is a must!!! We were lucky because Luciano performed!!! We also got a chance to listen to sound check from his band for about 2 hrs which was a real treat!! Happy hour is daily from 4-6pm. Buy one BOGO on special drinks. I can tell you everything in this review that other reviewers have shared but I don't want to be redundant. My words of advise to you would be if you are coming to Jamiaca to have a good time and you would like to stay in a location that is home away from home. SEASTAR is the place to be I will return again and again. I met some amazing people and the staff was wonderful!!! Chris and Francis you have created an amazing oasis that will bring people young and old home to SEASTAR again and again.

Room Tip: Get the upper balcony if you can..rooms are more breezy and the sunlight is better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Raquel B

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We visited March 5-26 with twelve in our group. Time well spent. The staff, as usual was fantastic. Food superb, very generous portions with good value. It was like a family reunion with our extended Seastar family. Chris & Francine, the owners, host a great Saturday night Jamaican buffet. With a live band and singers. The highlight of the evening is the drumming show. It is not to be missed, so much energy! So long. March 2015 soon come.

Al. B

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is reasonably priced and clean and modern. It includes a restaurant that has a dinner buffet and show on Saturdays that is not to be missed. Rooms have balconies with hammocks. It is very safe and secure although my husband and I felt very comfortable walking down the lane to get to the main road. Walking distance to LTU pub, Sir Dees Love Nest, Just Natural Cafe, Out of Town Pastries, and a small convenient store. Loved the pool which has a swim up bar. Also has a gift shop. Includes breakfast. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank denisekv
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Ok where do I begin.. We just spent two weeks with some of the nicest people. We stayed in room 1 for the first week. We could see and take in the daily goings on! It was great! Watched the Captain Kirk at the gate. Ha ha. Great fun. We loved everything about our room so much we probably spent too much time in the hammock enjoying all the Jamaican red stripe etc.! The food is superb! Worlds biggest lobster! The seastar family is so nice and always there to help out. Our second week was just as fun. Room 17. Close to the pool, restaurant and bar but yet so private. Hopfully get the room again next year. Actually we don't know which room was better! I would definitely recommend this place for anyone one who just wants to kick back and go with the flow and totally enjoy!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room you reserve is fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We booked room 10, the most expensive room for 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday.) The refrigerator had a board in it as a shelf, knobs were missing on the cabinets, the kitchen sink faucet was barely attached, multiple stains on floor below toilet, stained toilet bowl, black filth and mold in shower and dirty black sofas. The love seat had an imprint of an iron on it. The male owner was forever present which was distracting. Not sure if he doesn't trust his employees to do their jobs or just wants to be seen but I never saw him really do anything. We waited for the free shuttle to the beach but the van was full before we could get on. Another way to the beach as not offered to us which was disappointing. The Saturday night Reggae show was nice and the buffet was good. I could not stand to stay another night so we packed our back backs and stayed at Catcha Falling Star for our last night. Catcha gave us a deal on a cottage on the cliffs for the same price we paid at SeaStar for the dirty room. I highly recommend Catcha! Did I mention there were bars on the windows in our room?!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Sabrina B
Reviewed 22 February 2014

It is hard to rate this property, as the rooms were fine and it appears to be a perfectly adequate tourist class hotel. The room was a good size, the bathroom clean and the water (hot and cold) reliable. The bed had a good, firm mattress as well, and the room also had a good-sized balcony overlooking the gardens. So that was good.

BUT here is the problem, and it could be a big problem. Drugs. When I came back in the afternoon, I went to the bar to order a cold drink. On my left guests were smoking some kind of joint (certainly not a normal cigarette) and on the right, a guest had some kind of white block on aluminium foil. Not sure what this was, but I assume that it was some kind of drug. I moved to the restaurant area, but there was also the same problem there, people smoking joints. Because of this, I skipped eating in the restaurant in the evening. I asked the receptionist if it was allowed and she informed me that it was not allowed, but that they turned a blind eye to it. Next morning I was surprised to find that people were again smoking joints during breakfast. This is clearly not a place to visit if you are not into the drug scene. Bad enough that they smoke at the bar, but also during meals too.

I spoke with the receptionist and was able to cancel my remaining reservations at this hotel. The good thing is that they refunded most of my money for the remaining nights, so I only lost some money, but I was happy to be moving out of this hotel. The hotel owned had agreed to this on the telephone, and it was nice that there was no argument or problem in cancelling my other reservatons. I just cannot stay in a place where people are openly smoking drugs.

If you do stay at this hotel then you might find that the distance from the main beach to be a bit of a disadvantage. There is a free shuttle each day from the hotel, but this does not leave until 1100, so you will arrive quite late at the beach.

So although the hotel is fine as a tourist hotel, given the smoking of drugs, and also its slightly inconvenient location, then I would NOT recommend it.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms will enjoy more of the breeze, and also the balconies upstairs have much better v...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank centraltraveller
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

At first I was a little nervous but the Reviews were right ! Great stay, great staff , comfortable bed, its not a 4 or 5 Hotel, but it is very Comfortable and Safe! We will definitely be staying here again when visiting Negril, , note: We had a car so the distance wasn't a problem

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends