“Excellent Price, Excellent Service. We'll Be Back!”
Review of Seastar Inn

Seastar Inn
Ranked #1 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent Price, Excellent Service. We'll Be Back!”
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We stayed in Room 14 at the Seastar Inn for 7 days (March 22-29).

This is an extremely chill and laid back resort. All of the weekday staff and most of the weekend staff were wonderful and polite. We were within walking distance to some wonderful restaurants and cliff swimming. We were an easy and inexpensive cab ride to town.

The resort food was mostly quite good and I loved the happy hour each evening.

There is a buffet and band on Saturday evenings. I won't be attending it next time; I'm not much for crowds and buffets, but my spouse wanted to go. If you want to mingle with nice locals and tourists, this is a great event.

I'm still amazed there was such a place to hang out and recharge for the week, for a mere $55 in high season, plus food.

My only issue was our tab was charged $30 US for the buffet, when I paid cash for the buffet because it was a better deal and saved me the exchange rate and burned up the dollars. Seastar's rep insists I did not pay cash. I'll file a dispute with my credit card because I don't know how else to prove how accountable and anal I am about my money and my accounting was accurate down to 2 JAD - which could not have occured unless I paid cash for the dinner as I entered into my PDA within 5 minutes of giving my cash to the staff, in front of my husband. Hopefully, my credit card company can assist, because I don't take kindly to being overcharged on any amount, as $30 is a big deal for many of us who are scrimping and saving to go on vacation without putting it on credit.

This incident doesn't affect my view of the hotel or the staff - we'll be back and be a bit more careful on Saturday nights, where there are a lot of people about and things could become confusing. I just think people need to know to get a receipt or something so that someone doesn't just mark a guest as using a credit, when they paid cash to save money. If you decide to pay cash, I suggest a receipt after my experience - I don't want to be mistrustful, but I didn't get a cash receipt and I loathe playing "he said/she said" when I don't lie - and that's exactly what I doing now.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RebeccaCP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
ohio
Reviewed 3 April 2009

It was my first time in Negril. I loved the sea star inn. There was great service and amenities, and you can't beat the price. I plan to stay there on my next trip to Negril. I also loved the location. I could get out and walk just about anywhere. The staff is super nice and super friendly. It is the hotel I have stayed as of yet. I loved the atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank OhioSouthern
Thunder Bay ON
Reviewed 19 March 2009

Wow !
Amazing spot and the service is great! The food is delicious , even if it is somewhat pricey.
The staff there is simply great and they make you feel at home! Just the location is a bit out of hand because the place is not right on the cliffs , but if you seek for relax this is the right place.
Higly recommendable

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Quarte
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 18 March 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Jamaica for the first time in Aug of 07. It was a new experience to us and when we pulled into the Seastar Inn we were very pleased to see a well kept, cozy bed and breakfast. Francine was very nice and makes a very nice Jamacian Jerk Sauce! Best in Jamaica. Everyone was super friendly at the B&B and it was clean, fun and a great time! We would for sure go back there and stay again in the future. Chris was out of town so we didn't get to meet him. Oh they also had the BEST banana pancakes!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mytrip09
U.S.A
Reviewed 3 January 2009

When I arrived at Seastar I was given my key immediately to my room and greeted by name by Chris the owner.
I was given a safe key and also a mobile phone,very pleasant check in,
I entered my room which was the ground floor 2 bedroomed apartment and was very pleased.
Big comfy corner sofa in very good condition in the living room,a unit with a cd player on and remote controlled tv with a lot of satellite channels on,lots of storage areas and meshed windows,living room looked nice and clean.
You then come to the back bedroom,big comfy double bed /nice cotton clean sheets,big fluffy pillows and a large dressing table and bedside lamps,remote controlled airconditioning which worked very well and was nice and quiet.
Next was the bathroom,Nice and clean,everything worked,hot water too!lots of clean fresh towels and extra toilet roll whenever we needed.soap was provided.
Next was the kitchen which was great,I did not get chance to use this much as I ate out a lot but next time I will!
There was a table and chairs in there,a full cooker,a microwave ,full fridge and small freezer compartment,nice and clean just like a real kitchen,
off the kitchen was another bedroom,the front bedroom,similar to first bedroom but this bedroom also had a door on it leading to your front verandah.
The verandah is nice with a hammock on it which is nice to have,the verandah does not get the sun and is in the shade but perhaps that will be a plus in hot months.
There was a laminated booklet in the living room with a lot of info about seastar such as room-service and menus and taxi numbers,nice to have.Also some tour leaflets.
There is a lovely lady who works there but I never caught her name,tall long hair,very friendly always chatting to us at breakfast and at the bar,It was refreshing to find someone who seemed to enjoy her job ,she was really nice.The bar was well stocked the menu was varied ,some things a little pricey but basics like burger fries etc were good and my family really rated the home made huge burgers!
You can charge to your room so you are not messing about with cash all the time,I was wary at first due to being overcharged a few times in jamaica but was pleasantly suprised to see each room had a pigeon hole at reception with the family name on and each time you order something a little reciept pops into your box.They were all exact,no overcharging no problems,it was very professional as you would expect.The pool is a good sun trap but was cold in december,the hot tub is cold water so never tried that.They had towels and suncreams around the pool for your use.sunlongers had comfy pads on them.
There were two young men who worked there and checked the secure gates and checked who is coming in and out,very discreet and nice guys.
The owner Chris is a great guy and we had a few chats with him and he bought us a round of drinks.Down to earth and friendly.We found out on the last day that he would have taken us to the beach whenever we wanted-handy to know for next time.The entertainment was top notch,best hotel entertainment I have seen in negril so far,They had karaoke parties but with excellent singers and they make a party of it,saturday night party which was good,to be fair I did not think much of the buffet but there was a good choice,the buffet is 1100pp,theband was great,not too keen on the drumming but still enjoyed myself,We had a great xmas party there and the rum punches pack a punch and I could not last the whole night!which is very unusual.
There are hammocks by the pool and some tables and chairs set up everywhere in the evening,you are free to dine where you like,nothing seems a problem.The only thing i hated about seastar was a cockerel that crows very loudly every 30 seconds or so right under your window from 3am-7am,when you are up all night it ruins your days especially if you have children.It ruins things.I think the cockerel may be gone soon and I will return as soon as it is!
It is 2 minutes away from ricks cafe which is really good and not as much a boring tourist trap as i had thought prior to arrival,there is also a nice cafe at the bottom of the street called alices ,friendly staff /good food/ good music /cheap price.You are a 5-10 minute taxi ride away from the main beach but there is a free margaritiville bus each morning plus chris' offer of transport which I will keep in mind for next time.We did spend a lot on minibuses toing and froing.There is a pool table at seastar and a library and free 24/7 internet.
We went as a family of all ages and we all enjoyed seastar and will be returning.We met many repeat guests there and also a few people that had visited and bought a place in the area and never went home!The place is nice and friendly,felt very welcome and there was not one time when my family or children were harrassed by anyone or made to feel unsafe or unhappy.I enjoyed the hotel and the staff and the entertainment ,the cleanliness and the professionalism and the way they handle the charges to your room,The jamaican lady on reception is very nice too and can do her job in real time not jamaican time and can handle a few things at once!!which is sometimes quite a rare find at receptions in Jamaica!I cannot see anyone having a problem with this place,if you have a problem just shout chris and explain it ,I am sure he will sort it out for you.

• Liked — clean/friendly/safe/professional/entertainment/everything!
  • Disliked — the damned cockerel!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank w0rk
St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Due to a late flight we didn't arrive at Seatar Inn until around 9PM. Chris, who is one of the owners, and Linda were waiting to check us in. It was the fastest and friendliest check-in ever. We were upgraded to room 7, which had the most comfortable bed ever. It also had a great verandah complete with table, chairs and hamock. The kitchenette (yes, there was a kitchenette, too!) had a nice double hot plate, an electric tea kettle, toaster, coffee maker and fridge. All in perfect working order, I might add. Bless them, they even had coffee, filters, cream and sugar packets, dish soap, and paper towels. Very thoughtful. The linens on the bed were soft and clean, the TV worked well, the AC and fan cooled the room nicely, and the sofa was actually comfortable. The bathroom was clean, bright and had a tub/shower with good water preasure and drainage.

The grounds at Seastar are beautiful and constantly cared for. The pool, which we only used twice because we did a lot of exploring off the property, was a real treat. There is a swim up bar and hot tub. Everything was always clean and inviting.

We ate at Seastar enough to feel comfortable in telling you that their food is good and reasonable in price. We enjoyed the coco bread pizza and house salad in the comfort of our air conditioned room more than once after being out and about all day long. The food choices on the menu are varied, so anyone can order something they are sure to like. The service in both the bar and restaurant is always really friendly and accomodating. Everyone at Seastar really knows how to make you feel welcomed.

Seastar Inn is within walking distance of Rick's. Of all the times I have been to Negril I have never been to Rick's as much as this visit. I am not really a fan of tourist traps, and I do think Rick's ranks in that category, but it is a good way to people watch!

We also enjoyed eatting a couple of really good meals at Sharks, a little place around the corner from Seastar on the West End Road. The spicey fried fish was one of the best plates of food I ever had in Negril, and I still think about their Jamaican breakfast.

This was our first stay on the West End of Negril. There is so much to see and do for a first timer up there that I can not say for sure if I will be a cliff dweller or a beach bum, that will take some more investigating. ...

• Liked — Seastar Inn lives up to all it's great reviews!!
  • Disliked — Having to go home...
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tedsgurrll
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed at the resort with a friend of mine and this was the best resort and stay that we have had. They have terrific people working for them there and Francine and Chris have to be the most accomodating people that I have ever met. They are pretty much willing to give you a ride to where you want to go and you can get a cell phone to call for a ride when you are ready to go back to the reort.
Saturday night they have a live Reggae show along with an excellent buffet. The show was the best that I saw when I was there. My friend and I went somewhere different every night and seen a show, but there was so much energy at Seastar and the singer and the band members really "performed", especially the base player, not just stood up there and sang or played. You can see a sample of the show every Saturday night on realnegril.com.
The food was also wonderful and reasonable. You can get things made to order and that's a nice thing. Again the service is excellent and I highly recommend this place, you won't regret it!!!

• Liked — The staff and owners are so friendly and accomodating to the guests.
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends