“our incredible winter retreat”
Review of Seastar Inn

Seastar Inn
Ranked #1 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
miwaukee, wisconsin
“our incredible winter retreat”
Reviewed 17 May 2007

Both my wife and I are recently retired from high presure jobs. Our friends have attempted on several ocassions to have us join them at the Seastar Inn; However do to other obligations we were unable to join them. This time when they asked we were ready. We have been to Jamaica twice before and it was apparent the safety in the areas we visited were a chief concern to us. We arrived before our friends did
as their flight had to be rerouted. So for one day we were there without them (they had been at the Seastar trice before and knew the atmosphere). Well it didn't take long for us to start to enjoy the Seastar Inn. First we changed into our swimming suits and we started to enjoy the swim-up bar with those amazing mudslide drinks that clarol and Joel would make for us. Later we ordered food from the menu at the bar. When the food arrived the preparation and presentation was outstanding. The amount of food was enough for two people and it was very tasty. Upon our arrival we met Diane, the Seastar manager who took personal care us. We later met the owners, Chris and his beautiful wife Francine, These two people were simply wonderful to us and to all the guest and. I felt like we were with family. Soon we started to meet all the staff, Joel, Clarol, Joyce, Barbara, Michelle, loretta, Ann,"T", Oney, Garret, and last but not least Baker, the Chef that cooked all those magnificent meals to perfection. Everytime we left our huge clean room the atmosphere at the Seastar was one that let you realize that you were on
"Vacation". When our friends arrived the PARTY was on. They relieved me of all my safety concerns when they explain to me that if you are with Chris you like a made Man. Chris had a good reputation in the area and his Guest were off limits. We were booked for 10 days but, we extended for 7 days more and so did our friends. I wish we were there now, we will be back. next year if not sooner. "Thanks Chris and Francine for making this the Best Vacation Ever." We were there from April 2-19th, 2007........ review by Buffalo and Janice, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

• Liked — hot water, large clean air condition room, excellent food
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank buffalosoldiers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2007

Finally getting around to writing about the Seastar...my wife and I were here for 10 days in March and we can't say enough good things about the hotel...we loved it here..Chris and Francine are two extremely nice people and great hosts,(e.g.) a couple wanted some hot dogs for lunch and Chris searched the entire area to procure the rolls; I can't see that happening down the road at Sandals...Don't forget the restaurant at the Star, the food was very good and the Saturday buffett ($12) can't be beat...In closing, if you want a real nice laid-back experience with a good vibe, make the Seastar your Negil home, we will.

• Liked — tjhe entire experience
  • Stayed March 2007
4 Thank mrjimioth
ontario, canada
Reviewed 23 April 2007

This was my 9th trip to Jamaica and I have always stayed at an all-inclusive. Since I am more comfortable with getting around the island now, I decided to go with a smaller hotel and just pay as I go - eating and drinking where ever I happened to be. I am so glad I chose to stay at the Sea Star!! Chris, Francine & every single staff member are extraordinary!! They treat you like family
and I have never felt more relaxed and comfortable at any other hotel.
The hotel is situated about 400 yards off the main road - not a far walk unless you are carrying 24 beers from the corner store lol. There are a few homes along Sea Star road and you will meet many of the people that live there - they are all friendly and welcoming. (carry some candies with you for the children) And be sure and grab a great meal at Leroys just at the end of the road - great prices & freshly cooked.
Sea Star hotel is a picture perfect oasis nestled in lush tropical surroundings. There is a recreation area that has a pool table, books to read and a stereo symstem - you just make yourself at home and play what ever music you would like.
There is a swim up bar & a small jacuzzi with a fountain located just beside the bar - both are beautiful and well taken care of. Here is where you will meet many of the people that live in the area and alot of travellers that are just stopping in for a bite to eat or a few drinks. Sea Stars food is top-notch and prices are reasonable. (really loved the Coco bread Pizza & the Saturday night buffet can't be beat!!)
The rooms are fabulous. Stayed in room 7 - we had 2 double beds and a dining table in a very spacious room. There is a kitchenette and a lovely balcony complete with 2 chairs, table and a hammock - the view from our room was breath-taking!!!
The bathroom was the largest one I have seen in my travels to Jamaica and had a shower & tub.
I was travelling with friends Kaye & Mike from Indiana. They were only staying for 5 days while I was there for 7. Before I left home I was a little freaked out about being on my own for a few days.
I worried for nothing!!! I was so completely comfortable and never once felt otherwise - the staff and the few guests that were there always kept the conversation going and safety was never a concern.
I can not say enough good things about the Sea Star - it is paradise!!! Chris...thank you for a wonderful holiday!!
And Kaye & Mike...thank you for joining me on this adventure, hope we have many more - I love you guys!!
Tawnee

• Liked — The beauty of the grounds and the amazing staff
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank jamaniac
Virgiinia
Reviewed 14 January 2007

My husband and I just returned from Negril and spent 4 nights at the Seastar Inn. It is a perfect place to get away and chill. The property is manicured beautifully. The rooms are average but have everything you need...good water pressure, A/C, nice balcony with hammock, 2 double beds, TV. Chris, Francine and their staff are always there to get anything you need. Chris is a really good guy, a hard worker and dedicated to making your stay a good one. Feel free to ask him ANY questions....he's a long timer from Canada. The Coco bread Pizza was great..the continental breakfasts included fresh, homemade muffins that were delicious. It was a short walk to the West End Road, but it was cool to meet and talk to the children along the way...we gave out candy whenever we saw them. EVERY child we gave anything to thanked us. We have been to Negril 5 times and this is the first time we have felt the "real" experience of being close to the local people.
We'll be back!!!

• Liked — The hammock on the balcony and the fridge
  • Disliked — Cable TV reception mediocre
  • Tips/Secrets — Trust Chris with any questions or for any information you may need.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank gointonegril
Kenosha, WI
Reviewed 26 December 2006

I frequently visit Negril and as a result I am constantly trying to find smaller, more affordable accomodations that still have some level of cleanliness and comfort. Seastar Inn met my expectations fully!

My arrival didn't get off to the best start as the transfer from the airport took much longer than I expected and cost $10 more than what was on Seastar Inn's website and what I was quoted. But the good side was that the owners (Chris and Francine) made up for it by issuing me a bar credit.

I arrived later in the evening so I really didn't get to see the property but when I arrived in my room (room 6) I was pleasantly surprised as it was spacious and very, very tidy. The only problem I had with my room was that the refrigerator was just a bit outdated and smelled a little funny, but I didn't need it for anything at all, so I didn't mind. I'm sure if I called the front desk they would have seen to it right away. Once I was able to view the property I was very impressed. The pictures on the web site are representative of what you will get. All of the amenities posted on Seastar's site are also accurate.

The FOOD:
There was an EXCELLENT buffet I think on Wednesday night. It was $10 per person and included Jerk Chicken and Pork, Escovietch Snapper, Callaloo and Rice and Peas. I had some of everything (except the Pork as I don't eat pork) and it was so good! In fact the Jerk Chicken was the best I have ever had! It didn't need any sauce or anything.
Aside from the buffet the food off the menu was good too and priced very reasonably for Jamaica. If you order off the menu for breakfast be aware that the servings were rather sizeable.

If you want a change of pace try Kuyaba they will come pick up you up for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner and the food was pretty good.(expect normal Jamaican food prices ($15-25 entrees)

LOCATION:
Its very close the the RockHouse and walking distance to Rick's Cafe.

AREA ACTIVITIES:
if you are looking for the most awesome wood carvings ever go to the Negril craft market and ask for Frey! He is extremely, extremely talented and his peices are phenomenal!

• Liked — the spacious floor plan
  • Disliked — the older refrigerator
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring DVD's as they have a DVD player (need something to do when it rains)
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinegirl1908
Ontario, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2006

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at the SeaStar. It is off the beaten path but once we got settled in we really were glad that we chose to stay here. Francine, the owner is the perfect host. Wilton, Clairol & Stacey and there to wait on you at the bar or when you order food. They are always so pleasant & friendly. We ate a lot on the premises. The food was always made fresh, was delicious and the prices very reasonable. My daughter loved the coco bread pizza. World famous Rick's Cafe was within walking distance... actually right down from the main road... the Inn is just about 1/4 mile from the main road on the west end of Negril. The rooms were great... they had big fans on the high beamed ceilings (2nd floor) and frosty air conditioners...We had a coffee maker, fridge and Francine stocks its like it's your own home away from home. My husband is from Jamaica but this was the first time that he had been in Negril. We definately plan to go back next year and we will be staying again at the Seastar. We chose it for relaxation...if you are looking for the night clubs or to be on the beach this won't be for you...but if you are looking to spend quality time with your loved ones or family, wants delicious home cooked meals, a beautiful pool and friendly faces at a reasonable price this would be the place you should book. Please make sure you save a room for us!

• Liked — Relaxing, friendly people, and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank pinetreeluv
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 August 2006

I just got back from my first trip to Jamaica, and had a very enjoyable stay at the Seastar Inn. While it is not on the sea itself, it is just a short walk away down a residential street..then there is the corner market, and turn either way on the main road...Ricks is very close by.

The rooms are well fanned and air conditioned, and I love the hammocks on the patio. The pool was great to float around in and swim at any time day or night, and the swim up bar of course an added plus. The jacuzzi is nice, and the waterfall beautiful. Stacy and Clarol were fantastic, and my daughters loved the night we went to the Jungle (ladies night) and saw Stacy there who hung out with them for a while.

What I loved best about the Seastar was the very personable staff who went out of their way to make our stay the best it could be. Francine's gardening is simply amazing.

The dirty bananas there are the best..the bananas are as fresh as they get..picked from right by the pool!

I would recommend the conch fritters and the cocobread pizza from the menu..they were really good.

Besides the restaurant and bar and rooms and scooter/bicycle rentals, they also have a lovely little gift shop that has some lovely and very reasonably priced items.

All in all, I found Seastar charming and friendly and would recommend it to someone looking for a nice relaxing place to stay with great service.

• Liked — the overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — not right on the ocean
  • Tips/Secrets — don't be afraid to walk down the road and all around..I had the most fun and met some really cool people that way.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family